Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em

Old 13-05-18, 17:04   #21
MrMontanaRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughescon View Post
The quickest way to improve your game is to join a study group with players who are winners at the stakes you are playing.

To add structure to your thought processes read this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Application...rds=matt+janda

This book covers the basis of GTO play. Most poker videos are a watered down version of this book so I would avoid training sites as they will confuse you for the most part and you'll waste a lot of time listening to random thoughts that have no application to your game.

Once you have a basic understanding of GTO play you'll make the most amount of profit with exploitable strategies. However you'll want to learn GTO first to get your foundations.

You are definitely on the right path and break even at 2NL is pretty decent.

Finally, when you have the bankroll take some shots at live 200NL. Buy in for the minimum and play nitty starting out until you feel comfotable. The player pool is softer than 2NL online even though the stakes are 100x.

My advice would be to continue playing low stakes online to improve your game and build your bankroll in the live 200NL games. Coming from online you will be shocked at how soft the live games are.

Best of luck on your journey!
An update on my progress

i have been studying ranges, gto strategy and exploiting player tendencies over the past 4-5 weeks. i play 100 hands, study for 20-30 mins then 100 hands etc.

Sounds funny, I am glad i did not discover or start to study this earlier as everything i read and studied just clicked with me, so many a-ha moments in the last few weeks and it all seems so simple as i already have an understanding of the game.

I started winning at 2nl with a roll of 5bi (all i had in PS and refused to deposit) instantly and have since moved to 5nl with 25 bi. I plan to move to 10nl with 25bi fairly soon and stick there until i am 100% positive i am not on a heater . I have been checking what i have been winning with and how often i am winning but nothing shows i am on a massive heater.

This is the first time i have ever moved up stakes and am fairly happy about it

Thanks for the advice
MrMontanaRC is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 13-05-18, 17:14   #22
MrMontanaRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohsman View Post
Seemed like a point that needed to be made. I'm sure he can find softer games on other sites but there are a lot of reasons to like the Stars software, security etc, not sure there is really any need to look for a softer 5NL game when continuing to improve in games he has been playing in regularly is viable.
I have continued to play at pokerstars mainly because i feel i should be playing the tougher opponents, if you are always playing softer opponents which are easily beat how are you going to learn to beat the tougher ones?

I like to have a few learning players on my table to see how they play and what they are doing.

And there are plenty of 2nl learning regs at ps.
Old 13-05-18, 17:16   #23
MrMontanaRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi View Post
Please tell me that you done this OP. The original 4th in the National was demoted to fifth and the fifth promoted to fourth. This would have resulted in you making about a lifetime of buyins at 1c/2c
afraid not not im kinda wishing i did
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Hold 'Em