"I'll start tomorrow"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you doing SS x 3 a week?

If it was me and I was trying to increase cardio fitness i'd keep the SS workouts but drop them to 2x a week. I'd be tempted to include pull-ups instead bent over rows, and maybe include power cleans maybe rotated (I love cleans since including them)

For the 3rd day I'd do a rotation of 2 or 3 cardio style sessions.
    C1: Interval based sessions
    C2: Metcons, resistance based workouts, but around the anaerobic/aerobic treashold
    C3: Steady state cardio

All three rotated could keep it changing enough to stay interesting. The interval based, and metcon based workouts would prob be more beneficial to match fitness, you never spend 90 mins steady jogging about, it's much more like 10-20 second burst of effort, set in longer rest periods.

Edit: If you want help of idea with metcon based work-outs let me know

Comment

Bear in mind, I'll likely to returning to a deficit soon too. I know from experience SS is quite taxing when running a deficit, especially if the lifting days are all max.

I'm thinking maybe one full body workout a week to help with keeping LBM. Probably on a Wednesday. Monday and Friday then split between Upper and Lower body w/ Crossfit style circuits/metcons.
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hey man. Saw your post last night but didn't get a chance to reply.

Well I'd skip the cut and get stronger

Seriously though, last time I went on a cut I did a 3 day split and supersetted everything but that was mainly because I was injured so couldn't do squats and deads. Don't know what program I'll do on my next one. Getting fat (waist = 36.25 inches) so I really should go on one quite soon but going to squeeze out a few more PBs for a little while.

I'd go with Mellor's suggestion. There's no need to move away from SS just yet unless you're getting bored of it. 2 x a week + a metcon should be manageable with regards to making continued progress whilst on a cut. I think one metcon a week is enough. Mellor would now more about that than me though. If you start to find the squats overly difficult, rotate between back and front squats. That'll help with recovery. Lump the Jack3d into you and you'll be fine!

I was going to suggest the Texas Method but that'd be pretty disgusting on a cut.

Is your overall goal still strength gain out of interest?

Comment

Last SS session on Friday, then a rooooough weekend, Ozzies get a Bank Holiday for the Queens Birthday so we went hard at it. Had a massive gaf party and destroyed the place. Am Sick now too so will be going easy this week.

Anyway, the session:

Squat:
          BWx10
          Barx10
          40x5
          60x4
          80x3
          100x2
          110x1
          120 3x5

Shoulder Press:
          Barx10
          30x5
          40x4
          45x3
          50x3
          55x1
          60 3x5 (last set was a bit dodgy, first two were fine but last 3 reps of last set I was using my legs slightly)

Bent Over Rows:

Barx10
          20x5
          40x4
          50x3
          60x2
          65x1
          70 3x5

Pull ups, 3x8, 1x4, 1x4
          Chin ups 3x5

Thats it.

So my progress so far 7 weeks on the programme with a week off due to being sick (again):

Bench: 55 to 82.5
          Deadlift: 80 to 135
          Squat: 80 to 120
          Bent Over Row: 40 to 703
          Shoulder Press: 30 to 60

All above 3x5

Pull ups: 1x3 to 3x8
          Chin ups: 1x6 to 3x10
          Dips: 1x5 to 3x10

All above to failure or thereabouts.

Am 85kg now. Will be pulling off about 3-5 kg in the next 8 weeks and then reassessing.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            Last SS session on Friday, then a rooooough weekend, Ozzies get a Bank Holiday for the Queens Birthday so we went hard at it. Had a massive gaf party and destroyed the place. Am Sick now too so will be going easy this week.
            Ditto

Comment

Didnt do anything for this week as Ive been sick and had a pretty horrible throat infection, also cant seem to slip this cold.

Gonna hit the gym later, as throat is cleared up. Reckon some exercise might shift the head cold, finally.

Will hit the gym then tomorrow morning and weight in before eating/doing anything and get a final 'bulk' weight. Then cut from there. Reckon its about 86kg now, eating like a pig all week.

Think Im gonna set the line at 2500 calories a day. Will still be doing SS Wednesday and Friday. Will do Metcons/other work on Monday and then soccer training on Tue and Thurs. Sat I'll prob take off but might do some endurance work, 5-10km run or something.

I'll be using this cut to build my cardio fitness (with a view to soccer) as well as maintaining the muscle Ive put on.

Will be getting 160g+ protein a day, mostly from shakes. Thats 640+calories.
              The remaining 1800 will come from fats/carbs. Most likely in a 1100/700 split. Carbs obv around gym/training time. Other than that, itll be all protein/fats.

Will look something like this.

3 Eggs (450) (protein(24g)

Shake w/water (150) (30)

Burger Bowl/Mince+Vegie mix (400) (Approx 30)

Shake w/milk (500) (40)

GYM

2 Burgers/Chicken Brest/Kangaroo Steak (500) (20) shake w/Water (150) (24)

168g Protein. 2150 cals. Will save the other 450 cals for fish oil tabs, snacks if needed.
              Last edited by Theresa; 17-06-11, 01:05.

Comment

Oh and before all you whole food weirdos post, I realise whole foods are better, but I literally dont have the time to cook that amount of food. I usually cook up one big ass pot of chilli mince at the start of the week and dump it in the fridge, for lunches/dinners as required.

The shakes are just a very very handy way of getting the required protein. I also have a Multi vit and fish oil tabs to keep me ticking over.

Comment

Will hit the gym then tomorrow morning and weight in before eating/doing anything and get a final 'bulk' weight. Then cut from there. Reckon its about 86kg now, eating like a pig all week. .
                  wtf? How? You back in slob Steve mode?

That's mad! I'm feeling obese at 81 at the moment!

Comment

I think the meal plan is good, pretty much what i aim for.
                    You prob underestimating the protein in steak and chicken. I generally use 25g per 100g meat (20g for kangaroo and turkey), it's pretty close and even if its a tiny bit over estimating on some meats the tiny bits of protein is other stuff make up for it.

Whats you verdict on Kangaroo steak?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                      wtf? How? You back in slob Steve mode?

That's mad! I'm feeling obese at 81 at the moment!
                      No not at all. Clothes all still fit fine as they did when I was 78kg in Ireland. Less gaps of death in the t-shirts and a bit more mass in the shoulders/legs but other than that, everythings ok. Belly is a bit more wobbly however.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      I think the meal plan is good, pretty much what i aim for.
                      You prob underestimating the protein in steak and chicken. I generally use 25g per 100g meat (20g for kangaroo and turkey), it's pretty close and even if its a tiny bit over estimating on some meats the tiny bits of protein is other stuff make up for it.

Whats you verdict on Kangaroo steak?
                      Yeah, I underestimate it on purpose. 200g/day would be perfect, so if I aim lower everything else is a bonus.

Actually really like Kangaroo. Coles do a lot of it and theres one so close to our house its hard not to have it a lot.

Comment

I remember making up a nice batch of kangaroo chilli, pretty tasty

Comment

Yeah, I underestimate it on purpose. 200g/day would be perfect, so if I aim lower everything else is a bonus.

Actually really like Kangaroo. Coles do a lot of it and theres one so close to our house its hard not to have it a lot.
                          Ah I get you, i aim low with calories when on a cut, just cos I know i'll fuck it up fri/sat/sun.

same with kangaroo, Coles always have it. it's dirt cheap too and tasty. I prefer the steaks but the roast piece and sausages are ok too
                          Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                          I remember making up a nice batch of kangaroo chilli, pretty tasty
                          Never thought of that, must give it a go

Comment

Ah I get you, i aim low with calories when on a cut, just cos I know i'll fuck it up fri/sat/sun.
                            I know that feeling. The beauty of this cut is that Alcohol isnt a problem. Im effectively sober at this stage and don't regret any second of it.

I dont find it hard to give the booze a miss, even over here, even in a house of 10 lads where someone is always up for a session. Benefits massively outweigh the negatives at this point in time imo.

Love not being hungover on Sat/Sun.

So itll be a 24/7 cut for the next 8 weeks. Will do before and after pics and all that jazz.

Comment

No not at all. Clothes all still fit fine as they did when I was 78kg in Ireland. Less gaps of death in the t-shirts and a bit more mass in the shoulders/legs but other than that, everythings ok. Belly is a bit more wobbly however.

There was a food fair in Sligo a few weeks back and a lad was doing Kangaroo on skewers, was delicous. Apparently its pretty cheap over there but isnt easily farmed because of their huge range?
                              Last edited by Guest; 17-06-11, 03:03.

Comment

Right so a disappointing 82.7kg this morning on the scales.

Slightly diconcerted. Not sure if the weight Id put on over the last 8 weeks was muscle or water. Being sick this week and losing 2kg or whatever makes me think its water but my strength increase makes me think its muscle but then that could be a neural efficiency gain.

Sucks.

Anyway, cut on for 8 weeks as planned and then we'll see.

Comment

Don't overcomplicate things.

You're getting stronger. All your lifts are going up. I've no doubt you've put on muscle since, from what I've gathered, you've been eating like a homeless person at a free buffet.

Be happy, keep on truckin' and the muscle will take care of itself.

Comment

Right so having thought about a new programme for a bit, Im fairly confident in my own knowledge that I can work with something more tailored to my goals. (currently, fat loss and cardio fitness)

With those in mind, keeping the muscle mass (I think) I have put on over the past 8 weeks becomes paramount, while I also realise that some strength loss will happen.

Anyway: Im going to keep the core of SS two days a week, add in more specific assistance exercises (supersetted) and then one day will be a circuit (crossfit style; since its all the rage).

Essentially, 3 compounds, 1 targetted super set and 1 core super set.

It'll look something like this:

Monday:
                                    Squat
                                    Bench
                                    Deadlift

Dips/Curls/Pull ups Supersetted.
                                    Knee raises, Crunches, Back Extensions Supersetted.

Wednesday:
                                    Squat
                                    Shoulder Press
                                    Bent Over Rows

Lat Raises/Chin ups/Front Raises Supersetted
                                    Plank/Knee raises/Woodchoppers Supersetted

Friday: Circuit

Squat (60kg) 10
                                    Military Press (30kg) 10
                                    Pull/Chin ups 10
                                    Push ups 15
                                    Power Cleans(40kg) 8 (If I can be taught them properly soon) if not
                                    Bent Over Row 35kg 10
                                    Dips 10

Ill do that 3 times then prob some endurance work on the threadmill. Id like to think I can increase the weight on these each week but realistically itll be hard on a deficit. Still, we'll fuckin try.

Comment

I'm thinking of changing mine up big time quite soon too, need to start getting a lot more cardio because though I'm a lot stronger than I was 6 months ago, I'm an unfit bastard.

I'd probably swap Monday's Deadlifts with Wednesday's Bent over Rows though. Would reckon that if you max out on a Monday, recovery would be tough enough doing "the big 3" on the one day.

I like the look of Friday, and am trying to figure out how the fuck I'd manage it in my gym, weights are all down on level -2 and circuit gym on 1st floor.

Comment

It'll be tough to do in my gym too so I might go Friday morning before work and just do it when its quiet.

Saying that though, its not exactly busy on a friday night and all you need is a power rack. You'll look like a greedy bastard with the two bars though.

Comment

Session yesterday was fairly solid. Dropped some of the weight, especially on the leg work, as I wanted to leave a bit in me for the supersets and really go at them and after my game on Sun I was a bit sore (didnt work, lol my endurance is terrible)

Squats:
                                          40 1x5
                                          60 1x4
                                          80 1x3
                                          100 1x2
                                          105 1x1
                                          110 3x5

Bench:
                                          Barx10
                                          40x5
                                          50x4
                                          60x3
                                          70x2
                                          75x1
                                          80 3x5

Deadlift:
                                          80x5
                                          100x4
                                          110x3
                                          120 3x5

Rushed through this as gym was getting busy and I wanted to get some equipment boxed off for next bit.

Supersets: The Beginning

Was poor. Did dips, push ups and Curls The tricep exercises were poor, got through them but not solidly.

Dips 8, Push ups 12, Curls (30kg) 10.
                                          Dips 8, Push ups 8(lol) Curls (30kg) 10.
                                          Dips 8(6/2), Push ups 6, Curls (30kg) 10.

Was tough. Didnt think it would be so hard. Strange one.

The Ab session was cut short as wasnt waiting around.

Threw in 3 sets of pull ups too as I felt guilty about being a pussy on the pushups (lol logic).

Diet was very solid. Not a foot wrong yet. Took some creo last night to help recovery and give me a kick in the next session.

Comment

Good session last night, no increase in weight as on a deficit and dont wanna get injured but no decrease in weight either so happy all round. Also took a scoop of Mesomorph before hand...wired.

Squat:
                                            Sat in squat position for a while doing some stretching as was sore.

BWx10
                                            40x5
                                            60x4
                                            80x3
                                            90x2
                                            100x1
                                            110 3x5

Very solid. Still nearly 15kg off PB but happy to keep it around here for duration of cut if possible. Probably not though. Gonna try increase it on Monday and see how that goes.

Shoulder Press:
                                            Barx20
                                            30x5
                                            40x5
                                            50x3
                                            55x2
                                            60x1
                                            60x5
                                            50 x 2

Strange one. 60 didnt feel good and form was meh so took a little longer as a break, busted out 5 with okish form and decided to drop to 50 to get form right for last 2.

Bent Over Rows:
                                            Barx10
                                            40x5
                                            50x4
                                            55x3
                                            60x2
                                            65x1
                                            70 3x5

Straightforward.

Supersets were really good besides feeling a twinge in my rotator cuff (doing lat raises) and be fucked if Im risking injuring that.

So, it was;

Pull ups 8
                                            Front Raises 15kg 8

Did that 4 times. Was meant to include lat raises but the first set gave me the twinge so dropped them out and did an extra set.

Core work:
                                            Incline crunches 20
                                            HyperExtensions with Rows 8

Did that 3 times.

Diet still spot on 4 days in, not a mistake made yet.

Comment

Yesterdays session had to be cut short due to feeling lightheaded. Combo of lack of food, literally no sleep Thursday night and pretty intensre workout.

Just did:

Squats 60kg 10
                                              Push ups 15
                                              Miltary Press 30kg
                                              Bent Over Row 30kg

3 times.

Lame enough.

Weigh in today Sat 25/06/11: 80.9kg

1.7kg gone since last week. Will keep her lit.

Comment

UGHGUGH 2 bad workouts in a row. Attitude wise anyway.

I was actually in bed at half 7 last night because I was so wrecked from my match and CWE(Cumulative Weekend Effect). Had no intention of going to the gym and while sitting on the lappy realised Im just being lazy and Ive no real excuse and said Id go and use it as a form of recovery.

Got up there an hour before closing so needed to switch things a bit:

Warm up: Quick cardio, sprints and rower.

Squats:
                                                BW x 20
                                                Bar x 10
                                                40kg x8
                                                60kg x8
                                                70kg x8
                                                80kg x8

Then some metcon/crossfit style:

Squats: 90kg 5
                                                Pull ups: BW 8
                                                Push ups: BW 15

Did that 4 times.

Then:
                                                Dips 10
                                                Crunches 25
                                                Knee raises 10

Did that 3 times.

Finished up. Meh session in terms of structure but I just decided to get something done and wouldnt have been able to fit in my regular session.

Diet is going great except for yesterday: had 3 sushi rolls, not terrible but def not good for cutting. Im not sure what amount of calories are in each roll but Id estimate somewhere in the region of 400. I think yesterday I ate a lil over maintenance.

Comment

had 3 sushi rolls, not terrible but def not good for cutting. Im not sure what amount of calories are in each roll but Id estimate somewhere in the region of 400.
                                                  I've wondered that myself, I've guessed 300. Would have a better idea if I weighed one.
                                                  Not a good thing to be eating, jsut too handy to grab when on the way home from work

Comment

I've wondered that myself, I've guessed 300. Would have a better idea if I weighed one.
                                                    Not a good thing to be eating, jsut too handy to grab when on the way home from work
                                                    They are quite heavy. Any searches online Ive done are about 300-400. I overshot it in my cal counting as Im better off thinking I ate too much than thinking I ate too little.

QQ actually: What do you do for the calluses on your hands? Last night was the first time they started bleeding. And also, now that I think of it. I forgot to note my DL'd last night in my log.

Comment

I don't get them too bad. Don't ever bleed. But
                                                      Trim or filing them stops them gettign too big. But don't over do it.
                                                      Hand cream helps, I think neutragena (sp?) or norwegian formula are whaqt suggested.

Chalk help prevent them, stops them ripping and also helps with grip.
                                                      Since I lost my chalk bag I'm using straps, which is helping prevent a bit too

Comment

Callouses will harden up eventually (or rip off ) Don't know how you guys lift without chalk. I view it as essential at this stage.

Straps are ghey btw

Comment

My gym has these little 'grip mat' yokes. Kinda like the grips you stick on a hurley but in square patches. Bollocks for their purpose tbh.

Straps are unbelievable ghey. Especially if you wear them for the whole workout.

This reminds me of a chap in my gym we call "Aggs". He's a BB type, in decentish shape for his age and wear the straps/belt for the whole workout. He literally grunts, screams, shouts and moans during every set. EVERY. Then, he gets up off his ape ass and ape walks in a circle around the gym looking intimidatingly stupid.

Pretty sound lad though our Aggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
                                                            Callouses will harden up eventually (or rip off ) Don't know how you guys lift without chalk. I view it as essential at this stage.

Straps are ghey btw
                                                            I lost my chalk bag and i can't find it in a shop nearby. It's prob gonna be ebay again. I much prefer it. Straps are filling in for now.
                                                            I use the strap that you still have to grip, not the ones that loop around the bar and wrist.
                                                            Without them my deadlifts sets would be pointless and grip would give out way before legs

Comment

Bah. Second time writing this post due to my complete stupidity.

Anyway:

Great session last night. No PB's but solid maintainance and increased work capacity.

Warm up: Cardio and dynamic stretching.

Squats:
                                                              BWx20
                                                              Barx10
                                                              40x5
                                                              60x4
                                                              80x3
                                                              100x2
                                                              110x1
                                                              112.5 3x5- Happy with this. 110 felt heavy last week probably due to adjustment to calorie deficit. This was tough but fairly stable.

Bench:
                                                              Barx10
                                                              40x5
                                                              50x4
                                                              60x3
                                                              70x2
                                                              80 3x5- Keeping this maintained is cool. Thought it would drop away with deficit.

Bent Over Row:
                                                              40x5
                                                              50x4
                                                              60x3
                                                              70 3x5 Rushed through this. Can prob add to bar next time.

Then some supersets:

Dips10
                                                              Pullups 8
                                                              3times. 90sec rest

Leg Raises 10
                                                              Front Raises 15kg
                                                              Curls 30kg
                                                              3 times. 90 seconds rest.

Happy with that session even if the sessions this week are a bit messy to allow for weekend recovery.

Comment

Lame enought session last night.

Back from a pretty ridiculous weekend in the countryside but got to the gym yesterday which is a plus.

Gym was jammers so had to switch stuff around.

Bench:
                                                                Barx10
                                                                40x5
                                                                50x4
                                                                60x3
                                                                70x2
                                                                80x1
                                                                82.5x 5/4/4- Couldnt get the last rep out on last two sets.I have it... just tired after the weekend I think.

Curls/Chin Ups/BW Squats circuit 12/10/20 3 sets

Squats:
                                                                40kg x5
                                                                60kg x4
                                                                80kgx3
                                                                90kgx2
                                                                100kg 5 times supersetted with 10 Dips 3 times

That was it. Unhappy with myself so will punish myself tonight. Weeks all messed up since I only got back to work today.

Comment

Sessions seems to be getting harder, more intense. Need more rest times and so am getting less exercises done. Something to keep an eye on.

Last nights session was ok. Some good lifting and a decent metcon to end it. I have decided that my shoulders are the moodiest fucks in the world though. One week I can batter out 60kg MP and then the next week I'm struggling to get 55 out.

Anyway:

Warm up; some dynamic stretching and some cardio to get a sweat going.

Deadlifts:

60kg x5
                                                                  80kg x5
                                                                  90k x4
                                                                  100 x3
                                                                  110 x2
                                                                  120 x1
                                                                  135 x5

Pretty happy with that. Last rep of 135 was a struggle but got it locked out and then nearly fell over.

Shoulder/Military Press (sonofabitch):

Barx10
                                                                  30kg x5
                                                                  40kg x4
                                                                  45kg x3
                                                                  50kg x2
                                                                  55kg x1
                                                                  60kg x5 But crap form
                                                                  55kg x5 Meh, was a bit lame, didnt feel good.
                                                                  50kg 3x5 Solid Might start back here, getting past that 60kg smoothly is proving tough. It'll happen though.

Bent over Rows:
                                                                  Barx10
                                                                  40kg x5
                                                                  50kgx4
                                                                  60kgx3
                                                                  65kgx2
                                                                  70kgx1
                                                                  75kg 3x5 *PB*

Personal best on this. Solid and form was great. This PB and then an equalling DL means Im pretty happy with this session.

Before I finished I did a Pull ups/Front raises/Lat raises circuit.

Pull ups 8 BW
                                                                  Front Raises 10 15kg
                                                                  Lat Raises 12 9kg

3 times with a minutes rest in between. Rotator cuff took a bit of a hammering and felt twingy so gonna be careful wth it.

Will do some cardio tonight as have another big weekend and am gonna get to the gym at 6am tomorrow so I can fit in a session before I head away and I dont want to be wrecked for it.

Comment

Pretty happy with that. Last rep of 135 was a struggle but got it locked out and then nearly fell over.
                                                                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Two sessions to report here in the space of 12 hours:

7pm 07/07/2011: Last night I went up and did 20mins cardio steady pace. 5km.

Intervals then for 20mins. 1:30 rest at 6.5kmph and then 1:15 at 18.5kmph. Think it was 7 sets altogether. At the end when I stepped off the treadmill it felt very like I was high as a kite and having an outer body experience.

6am 08/07/2011:

Went up this morning to get a session in before the weekend. Heading away again and I didnt want to miss one of my 3 weight sessions this week so dragged myself out of bed, had some grub and chucked a half pint of mesomorph down my throat.

I find Im so so much weaker in the morning. CNS needs to get the fuck up imo.

Squats:
                                                                      40 x5
                                                                      60x5
                                                                      80x4
                                                                      100x3
                                                                      105x2
                                                                      110 3x5

Didnt go any higher as wasnt feeling solid and was also stuck for time from the off.

Bench:
                                                                      Barx15
                                                                      40x8
                                                                      50x5
                                                                      60x4
                                                                      70x3
                                                                      75 3x8

Grand. Again last 3 sets were for 8 reps as was stuck for time/weakish and didnt want to go higher.

Then did a quick metcon:
                                                                      Rower100m
                                                                      Curls 32.5kg 12
                                                                      Pull ups 8
                                                                      Dips 10

Did that 3 times.

Ran home (about 800m).

Done for the weekend. No soccer this weekend either so Im gonna fuck off down the country to this mansion a load of my friends are housesitting and get me hoop. Sound.

Comment

Reading back over my last few sessions and I think its apparant there is a lack of focus coming into play. I know why, and I am aware of it so Im not worried. Two pretty big weekends in a row and other things happening in the house mean its all happening and making it hard to get the mind right.

I've decided Im going to go to the gym for interval sessions at 6am from now on. It takes 20mins and I enjoy getting up that early, feel like my day is more set. I like being the first up, and not being rushed before work. I also like getting some work done first thing so it makes sense for me to do this.

The obvious benefits to soccer will apply, and since its coming intot he second half of the season I'd like to be able to push on. Then again, it'll definitely start affecting my lifting if Im doing intervals for 20mins every morning, its a momentary neccessary evil though imo.

Diets still perfect during the week and even at weekends when I'm in Melbourne, if Im travelling outside of it, its hard to keep it steady.

So, from now on it's going to be:

Mon:6am intervals. 6pm SS.
                                                                        Tue:6am core wrk. 7pm Soccer training
                                                                        Wed:6am intervals. 6pm SS
                                                                        Thurs:6am Core. 8pm Soccer training
                                                                        Friday:6am intervals 6pm: Metcons/Complexes/Circuit (resistance training but ligher weights 10-15 rep range)
                                                                        Sat: off
                                                                        Sun: Match

I'll adjust the calories for the increases training levels. Still cutting mind you so will be mindful of how Im feeling and recovering.

Comment

+1 on the early sessions, you may actually find they are more quality than doing them in the evening. As you say it sets you up for the day.

Hope you have not wrecked Oz yet ye mad cunt

Comment

Decent enough session last night:

Squat:
                                                                            Barx15
                                                                            40kg x8
                                                                            60kgx5
                                                                            80kgx4
                                                                            100kgx3
                                                                            110kgx2
                                                                            112.5kgx1 Let out some ripper at the bottom of this. Guy beside me pipes up, 'Nice depth" VERY close to losing it I was lauging so hard.
                                                                            115kg 3x5

Bent over Row:
                                                                            Barx15
                                                                            30x8
                                                                            40x5
                                                                            50x4
                                                                            60x3
                                                                            70x2
                                                                            75x1
                                                                            77.5 3x5 *PB*- This is still rising. Makes sense I guess.

Shoulder Press:
                                                                            Barx 15
                                                                            30kgx5
                                                                            35kgx4
                                                                            40kgx3
                                                                            45kgx2
                                                                            50kgx1
                                                                            52.5kg 3x5 -Dropped it as I said, this was very solid. Be raising this next time hoping to work back through sixty smoothly.

Pull ups: 8,8,8,8,8.
                                                                            Curls 32.5kg 3x10
                                                                            Front Raises 20kg 3x8

Then this morning at 6am. 20mins intervals on the threadmill. Felt like I was flying when I stepped off the fuckin yoke.

Comment

#98
                                                                              Did Intervals on Tue. Picked up a slight calf strain but nothing major.

Really good session last night: One PB equalling lift, One PB lift and One very close to PB equalling lift. Makes me not wanna be on a deficit and just keep bulking.

I figure the strength increase has been the amount of calories consumer over the rest days(the last two weekends). I've not weighed myself since the last time I posted it up here but something tells me it wont have gone down, at all. Im not too bothered by that though.

Warm up: some dynamic stretches. Hip work and lower body work especially.

Squats:
                                                                              BWx20
                                                                              Barx15
                                                                              40x5
                                                                              60x4
                                                                              80x3
                                                                              100x2
                                                                              110x1
                                                                              117.5 3x5 - Getting close to my PB.

Bench:
                                                                              Barx20
                                                                              40x5
                                                                              50x4
                                                                              60x3
                                                                              70x2 -Misracked this, didnt have safetly collars on and nearly took the forehead off myself. lesson learned.
                                                                              80x1
                                                                              82.5 3x5 - Equalled my PB here, delighted. Wasnt actually too tough, last rep was hard but not a grind. If they had smaller plates I'd increase this next time, the smallest they have is 1.25 so a 2.5 kg increase could be too much. But fuck it, we'll try it.

Deadlift:
                                                                              60x5
                                                                              80x4
                                                                              100x3
                                                                              120x2
                                                                              135x1
                                                                              140 3x5 - Beat my PB here. Last rep was tough and grip was about to go but got it up and drove the hips out.

Ended the session with a Dips/Pushups superset. 15/25 , 10/15, 10,3(lol). Was wrecked after it and took it as a sign that my 3rd push up was a failure that I was done for the night.
                                                                              Last edited by Theresa; 13-07-11, 22:23. Reason: spelling

Comment

#99
                                                                                you're killing me.

Prick

Comment

Well Im literally living, work, gym, sleep midweek. Weekends then depends, I rarely drink, even if Im going out. Thats got a hell of a lot to do with it.

Comment

Yeah I'm lifting, but I'm slacking too.

Weight is up and down like yo-yo. Might just cut all leaks out in August and get in great shape finally. I'm not that far from looking dacent

Comment

If they had smaller plates I'd increase this next time, the smallest they have is 1.25 so a 2.5 kg increase could be too much. But fuck it, we'll try it.
                                                                                      Same here for smallest plates.
                                                                                      I think micro plates (0.5kg or 0.625kg) would be deadly for benching. Even more so for Overhead presses.

Pretty sure they be quite cheap. Maybe a Magyver job is needed

Well Im literally living, work, gym, sleep midweek. Weekends then depends, I rarely drink, even if Im going out. Thats got a hell of a lot to do with it.
                                                                                      For the last while, I've done enough work during the week that the weekend didn't totally negate progress. But I can't keep it up for good.

I'll go fully off the beer in the weeks up to the race, but i'd never stay off it for more than a month I'd say

Comment

I've a whopper head cold today but Im gonna batter out a session in the gym anyway. Get the heart rate up and try and exercise it out of me.

Might try a 120 Squat too.

Comment

Do you know anything about Ketosis and alcohol?
                                                                                          (a bit of wondering in my log)

Comment

I really dont.

Indirectly though Id imagine itd be pretty hard to stay in ketosis having drank alcohol.

Directly, Alcohol inhibits a lot of stuff in your body. Whether one of those is the pathway for fat being used as fuel I dont know. Pretty sure Lyle has something on it somewhere.

Comment

I know alcohol takes priority over other fuels, I accept that will happen. But wondering will I stay in ketosis/producing ketones and just not utilise ketones until alcohol is gone, or come out of it for a day or so.

I think I'll check Lyle

Comment

Good session on Friday even if I still have a cold.

Squats:
                                                                                                BWx20
                                                                                                Barx10
                                                                                                40x8
                                                                                                60x8
                                                                                                80x8
                                                                                                100x8
                                                                                                110 3x8

Decided to do 8 reps as a mix up. No other reason really. The 110 felt very very heavy, Id imagine its to do with being sick and the preceding volume tbh.

Shoulder Press:
                                                                                                Barx10
                                                                                                30x5
                                                                                                40x4
                                                                                                45x3
                                                                                                50x2
                                                                                                52.5x1
                                                                                                55 3x5 Smooth and Clean.

Didnt not Bent over Rows as lower back was a bit sore, didnt want to risk it with a match on Sunday.

After the above two lifts I did a 5 set circuit.

Pullups 8
                                                                                                Front Raises 20kg 10
                                                                                                Curls 12 32.5kg

Was tough. Pull ups were fine, so were the front raises but after the first 3 sets of curls I got a stupid pump and arms started tightening up.

Comment

Crap session last night. Wasnt feeling it at all. Tight, fluey and my ROM on every exercise was a lot less than it usually is.

Could be fatigue of some sort, havent had a proper rest day in a while and havent been eating much during the week with the deficit or properly at the weekends with the booze.

Taking a day off.

Comment

Two sessions yesterday to make up for being a pussy, plus had the day off.

Morning:

Squats:
                                                                                                    Barx20
                                                                                                    40x10
                                                                                                    50x10
                                                                                                    60x10
                                                                                                    80x10

Didnt go any higher than 80 as have a pretty bad calf strain and need it to come right for Sunday.

Shoulder Press:
                                                                                                    Barx10
                                                                                                    30x5
                                                                                                    40x4
                                                                                                    50x3
                                                                                                    52.5x2
                                                                                                    55x1
                                                                                                    57.5 3x5- pretty solid. Last set 2/3 reps were pretty meh but got it up.

Front raises 20kg
                                                                                                    8
                                                                                                    8
                                                                                                    8

Chin ups 10, 10, 10, 10, 10.

Evening Session:
                                                                                                    Lat Pulldown
                                                                                                    30kgx8
                                                                                                    40kgx5
                                                                                                    50kgx4
                                                                                                    60kgx3
                                                                                                    70kgx2
                                                                                                    80kg 3x5

Rower:
                                                                                                    120x8
                                                                                                    140x9
                                                                                                    160x5
                                                                                                    180x5
                                                                                                    190 3x5

Bent Over Rows:
                                                                                                    40x5
                                                                                                    50x4
                                                                                                    60x3
                                                                                                    70x2
                                                                                                    75x1
                                                                                                    80 3x5 *PB*

Happy out after the previous stuff, was wrecked.

Bench:
                                                                                                    Barx20
                                                                                                    40x5
                                                                                                    50x4
                                                                                                    60x3
                                                                                                    70x2
                                                                                                    80x1
                                                                                                    85x5/4/4

Annoyed. Had it if I wasnt wrecked I think. Would ahve been a PB. Its there though.

Finished with a superset:
                                                                                                    Pull ups 8
                                                                                                    Push ups 20

Did that 5 times.

Comment

Good session on Friday.

3 PB's.

Benched 85kg 3x5
                                                                                                      Deadlifted 145 2x5
                                                                                                      Pull-ups BW+5kg strapped 5x8

Not gonn detail whole session but increments and warm ups were similar to how they always are.

Comment

Session Yesterday:

Squat:

40 x5
                                                                                                        60 x4
                                                                                                        80 x3
                                                                                                        100 x2
                                                                                                        110 x1
                                                                                                        120 3x5 Pretty solid and easy. Good depth.

Bent Over Rows:

40x5
                                                                                                        50x4
                                                                                                        60x3
                                                                                                        70x2
                                                                                                        80x1
                                                                                                        82.5 3x5 Same as squats, pretty handy. Nearly able to pull as much as I can push now.

Deadlift:

Was knackered but:

80x5
                                                                                                        100x4
                                                                                                        120x3
                                                                                                        130x2
                                                                                                        140x1
                                                                                                        145x1 Didnt have the energy to pull anymore up. Plus wanted to keep some energy for the creme de la creme

Pull ups: BW +10kg 8,8,8,6

Had the 10kg strapped on and it was dangling pretty far off for the first set, decided to shorten it and keep it closer to my body for the remaining sets. Last set of 6 I physically couldnt pull myself up again. Literally no movement.

Comment

Been a while since I updated because Ive not been training as much with silly soccer injuries. Niggles in calf and hammer from getting kicked, nothing too serious at all but cant train on them with a match teh following Sunday.

Got some sessions in. No major gains in strength or anything like that. No major losses either. Floating at the min.

Comment

Session today and yesterday:

Cant do leg work, squats or deadlifts and its wrecking my head as I dont feel like Ive done a decent session unless I do. Picked up a slight knock on Sunday so being careful with it.

Yesterday:

Bench:
                                                                                                            40x5
                                                                                                            50x3
                                                                                                            60x2
                                                                                                            70x1
                                                                                                            80x5
                                                                                                            82.5 3x5

Dips
                                                                                                            BW x8
                                                                                                            BW+5kg x3x8

Push ups:
                                                                                                            3xF

Curls:
                                                                                                            32.5kg 3x10

Pull ups:
                                                                                                            BW+10kg 3x8

Todays Session:
                                                                                                            Shoulder press:
                                                                                                            Barx20
                                                                                                            30x5
                                                                                                            40x4
                                                                                                            45x3
                                                                                                            50x2
                                                                                                            52.5x1
                                                                                                            55 3x5

Bent Over Row
                                                                                                            40x5
                                                                                                            50x4
                                                                                                            60x3
                                                                                                            70x2
                                                                                                            75x1
                                                                                                            80 3x5

Seated Row:
                                                                                                            100x5
                                                                                                            120x4
                                                                                                            140x3
                                                                                                            160x2
                                                                                                            180x1
                                                                                                            180 3x5

Finished with a super set:

Front raises with 20kg plate
                                                                                                            Lat raises with 7kg
                                                                                                            BW Pull ups 8

Did that 3 times.

Since I cant work legs Im using most days to get into the niggle exercises that might be holding me back.

Comment

Long time since an update.

Have gone through a groin injury, back injury and just about (hopefully) out of a 12 day viral infection of some sort. Thought it was tonsilitis but it just didnt go away and affected pretty much everything. Been out of work and bed ridden completely for last 12 days so last month has been a bit of a write off training wise.

Back to it soon, still quite weak from sickness so will wait until I am eating properly and feel stronger before I go back to gym.

Plan once I get back is to cut before I head off travelling in mid October. Gives me 6 weeks, wanna drop 5kg. Should be able to handle it.

Comment

Long time since last update (a recurring theme).

Was very sick there for about 3 weeks awhile ago. Got back in gym about two weaks ago and my strength was through the floor.

Been on a cut too so not helping. Strength returning week on week and am getting lighter so looking good. Currently 78kg, havent been this light in a while. Will go for another 2 and a half weeks then Im off to Thailand and India for 12 weeks so doubt Ill be training much.

Comment

Well lad what's the craic. Just stumbled upon this now!

You moving back to Ireland anytime soon, you must be getting pretty ripped, any chance of some flexing pics?

Comment

This week has been pretty good.

Weight is now 77.5kg. Still supplementing with Creatine so I reckon I could be slightly less than that.

Strength has dropped off a fair bit though given my viral illness and the deficit.

Today I got back to nearly where I want to be. Benching BW, Squatting 105 and Deadlifting 120. So my ratio's from when I was 82-84KG are similar to what they are now.

I dont feel like I'll be stalling soon so Im going to keep upping the weights and try to get back to the weights I was lifting before I lost the 5/6kgs. That'd be sweet but with only 14 days before I leave Ill be pushing it considering Ill be increasing the deficit by 150 cals/day this week and prob another 100 the next. Aiming for 74/75kg before I leave. Tough going and prob wont make it but going to aim that way as it keeps me focused.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                    X