Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    I watched a doc recently about the 70s. One of those talking heads things, clips shown, current celeb commentary etc.

They were showing some Dave Allen sketches. One was where he was perving on a young girl in a swimming pool. The audience in the clip where all laughing along heartily. Was mainstream TV.

The current celebs were horrified. Rightfully so based on our more mature standards today.

I couldn't help that my opinion of Allen was soured but I wondered whether that was fair given
    it was clearly socially acceptable at the time.
    Benny Hill probably wouldn't work these days either...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
      Benny Hill probably wouldn't work these days either...
      Never mind Rising Damp.

Comment

Speeding fine from France arrived in the post this morning. Suppose ignoring it isn't really an option anymore in this connected world.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
          Speeding fine from France arrived in the post this morning. Suppose ignoring it isn't really an option anymore in this connected world.
          I did.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Is there not some system where points can be applied for foreign offences now? I think given the plane is F-registered and I plan to be in and out of small French airports with bored police a few times a year, paying the 90 quid will save me some hassle in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              Is there not some system where points can be applied for foreign offences now? I think given the plane is F-registered and I plan to be in and out of small French airports with bored police a few times a year, paying the 90 quid will save me some hassle in the long run.
              Got two fines in 2015, one in 2016. Ignored them both and nothing has happened. Still waiting on the 2017 ones, definitely got flashed a few times.

Vive la France

Didn't want to be contributing to Hitch's Bastille Day fireworks fund anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                Ireland currently around breakeven on the EU contributions. Brexit will probably see us become a significant net contributor.
                That would amount to being what I consider a Good Problem to have, like a CGT bill or whatever.
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Saw the play of "let the right one in" last night. I haven't seen the film or read the book but thoroughly enjoyed it. It also gives me the opportunity to up my dick levels and say "the play was better" when somebody ingests it in a lesser form.

Somebody, a youngish man, had some sort of seizure/stroke/heart attack a few minutes after a really loud/flashing lights scare where the crowd jumped and I wouldn't have been surprised if they were related.

It was rather surreal to be in tiered seating watching all that unfold, at first random panicked shouting in the dark - if it was the US you would think somebody with a gun - no idea what is happening, lights being shouted for for a while, them coming on, the crowd silent as the man convulses, a woman screaming his name and after a while getting back to a play as he was carted off.
                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-11-17, 10:53.

Comment

Anyone received the Full Prepayment / Black Friday email from BT Sports yet? Hopefully it still runs.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                      Anyone received the Full Prepayment / Black Friday email from BT Sports yet? Hopefully it still runs.
                      Nope, all quiet. I've had this deal for the last few years, be nice to get it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        Saw the play of "let the right one in" last night. I haven't seen the film or read the book but thoroughly enjoyed it. It also gives me the opportunity to up my dick levels and say "the play was better" when somebody ingests it in a lesser form.

Somebody, a youngish man, had some sort of seizure/stroke/heart attack a few minutes after a really loud/flashing lights scare where the crowd jumped and I wouldn't have been surprised if they were related.

It was rather surreal to be in tiered seating watching all that unfold, at first random panicked shouting in the dark - if it was the US you would think somebody with a gun - no idea what is happening, lights being shouted for for a while, them coming on, the crowd silent as the man convulses, a woman screaming his name and after a while getting back to a play as he was carted off.
                        At the movies years ago with the gf at the time. Suddenly behind us was groaning and low to loud crescendo of apparent sexual moaning, it was like someone was getting the HJ/BJ of their life. We giggled nervously. (I seldom giggle) Anyway the shoulders of the seats in front of us started shaking with stifled laughter also, pretty soon most of the cinema was disengaged from the movie. Suddenly the lights came on and behind was some girl taking an epileptic fit of some sort. Doh! Embarrassed glances around the movie theatre. Luckily though it was the 80s and socially acceptable to laugh at Epileptics mid-fit in the theatre

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                          Apologies, I realised after posting I was conflating you and new approach, he made a similar post to yours.
                          ??

Comment

Question for techie guys. Every few weeks getting mails from random foreign email addresses (obvious straight away) looking to click on links to confirm invoices etc etc but always signed off at the bottom with the same email address (genuine customer). Is that likely to be a problem from my end or theirs?

Comment

I've read that twice and have no idea what your problem is I'm afraid.

Comment

Anyone any recs for a decent laptop. Just for home browsing and excel jockeying 14". Around €200 - €250?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                  I've read that twice and have no idea what your problem is I'm afraid.
                                  You and me both.

Basically today i get an email from xxx @rochester.rr.com (whoever the fuck that is)

Hi please confirm when payment of invoice 2928383 will be paid, followed by a link to said non-existant invoice (which im not clicking on obv)

Then..

Regards, (legitimate email address link)
                                  Last edited by Dice75; 21-11-17, 12:31.

Comment

Anyone any recs for a decent laptop. Just for home browsing and excel jockeying 14". Around €200 - €250?

Small resellers on adverts are perfect for the likes of that.
                                    Otherwise Amazon will have something in that price range on Black Friday
                                    Last edited by Guest; 21-11-17, 12:38.

Comment

Much excel? Chromebook is the only job for browsing. You can use Google docs for excel but not ideal for heavy use
                                      airport, lol

Comment

You and me both.

Basically today i get an email from xxx @rochester.rr.com (whoever the fuck that is)

Hi please confirm when payment of invoice 2928383 will be paid, followed by a link to said non-existant invoice (which im not clicking on obv)

Then..

Regards, (legitimate email address link)
                                        Hover over the senders email address beside 'sent by', or click 'more details' beside the senders address. If the sender is deffo someone you don't know, disregard.

The probelm is: the 'hackers' have gotten hold of your email address and an address that you would have either received from or sent to in the past - evenn cc'd on. (probably by hacking a server) - all they get is email addresses BTW, not passwords.

They use this info to trick you in to thinking that the email is legit by signing off a business accociate, but the sender is some cunt from russia or somewhere.

Problem isn't either end - it's wherever your email address have been stored and it's clear there is a link between them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                          I like how you deem obsession by my one post on the matter. I do enjoy your histrionic sermonising of the bbv.

My point was more that an entire lifetime is an extremely long time to not slightly step out of line once citing the case of Aled Jones being suspended for "juvenile texts" to a colleague over a decade ago. And that a reasonable percentage of those adding judgmental voices to the which hunt would invariably have skeletons in their own closets.
                                          One of the things about modern technology that humans have failed to thoroughly grasp yet: It provides a thousand new ways to misbehave, and many millions of new ways to get caught.

So pro tip: If you're gonna do something stupid, don't do it on a phone, a computer, or anywhere there is likely to be a recording device. Which is *everywhere*.
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Question for techie guys. Every few weeks getting mails from random foreign email addresses (obvious straight away) looking to click on links to confirm invoices etc etc but always signed off at the bottom with the same email address (genuine customer). Is that likely to be a problem from my end or theirs?
                                            If it's the same each time then it's likely someone has given them your email address for something. You can be 99.9% certain it's a genuine mistake. I own the firstname.lastname@gmail account for my name and get tons of emails intended for people with the same name. It can be good craic. I've ended up phoning lads to tell them about the mistake a few times.

Just reply and tell them they got the wrong email address.
                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                              So pro tip: If you're gonna do something stupid, don't do it on a phone, a computer, or anywhere there is likely to be a recording device. Which is *everywhere*.
                                              I kinda presume that within our lifetime privacy will go to zero. And after some adjustment it'll be very liberating. Assuming you don't pine after 14 year olds.

Comment

Ex GB athlete now heavily overweight takes bet to run 5k in under 16 mins by end of 2017

Part 2
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Bastard I'm still aiming to go sub-20 in the near future, seems like a quick transition for him from 24 mins to sub-16!

Comment

God invented cars so we didn't have to run.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                      Bastard I'm still aiming to go sub-20 in the near future, seems like a quick transition for him from 24 mins to sub-16!
                                                      Well he has 10 years on you nearly, plus an elite athlete background.

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on the new One Pus 5T

Comment

I'm 100kg best 10k was in the 80s How long do ye reckon it would take me to break 22 mins for 5k? Broke 17 mins for 5k in the liberties back then Prop bet anyone ? Fitness now = dismal .

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                            I'm 100kg best 10k was in the 80s How long do ye reckon it would take me to break 22 mins for 5k? Broke 17 mins for 5k in the liberties back then Prop bet anyone ? Fitness now = dismal .
                                                            About as long as it takes you to lose 22Kg IMO.
                                                            What age are you? I'd set my target a bit higher per year over 50.
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                              About as long as it takes you to lose 22Kg IMO.
                                                              What age are you? I'd set my target a bit higher per year over 50.
                                                              My age is ireelephant . The weight thing though I agree. I’ve turned into one of my uncles. But one takes care of the other no? Start training , go jogging, lose the weight, go faster, lose the weight, now start running, die of a sudden cardiac arrest (voids all bets) . I’m going to start anyway and see how I go. You are worse than Trump with your birth cert demands. Some things a girl keep to herself . How many minutes per age over 50 to add ?

Might blog it.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                Just pulled the trigger on the new One Pus 5T
                                                                review when ya get a chance please
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                  If it's the same each time then it's likely someone has given them your email address for something. You can be 99.9% certain it's a genuine mistake. I own the firstname.lastname@gmail account for my name and get tons of emails intended for people with the same name. It can be good craic. I've ended up phoning lads to tell them about the mistake a few times.

Just reply and tell them they got the wrong email address.
                                                                  My ones are great as there is a guitarist, artist, art gallery owner etc with my name. I've been sent money a few times before as they just ship loots to my paypal with the same email, invited to exhibitions, fanmail, I'm an honorary member of some US golf club as they thought it was hilarious.

Gotta be old people.

Comment

My age is ireelephant . The weight thing though I agree. I’ve turned into one of my uncles. But one takes care of the other no? Start training , go jogging, lose the weight, go faster, lose the weight, now start running, die of a sudden cardiac arrest (voids all bets) . I’m going to start anyway and see how I go. You are worse than Trump with your birth cert demands. Some things a girl keep to herself . How many minutes per age over 50 to add ?

Might blog it.
                                                                    Diet is a far bigger determinant of weight loss than exercise.
                                                                    You can train as much as you like but if you're eating a calorie surplus you'll still gain weight.
                                                                    You may not train at all and have a calorie deficit and drop weight.
                                                                    3500 calories = 1 pound is a general rule of thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                      You can train as much as you like but if you're eating a calorie surplus you'll still gain weight.
                                                                      Eat the same but exercise more. =weight loss

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                        My ones are great as there is a guitarist, artist, art gallery owner etc with my name. I've been sent money a few times before as they just ship loots to my paypal with the same email, invited to exhibitions, fanmail, I'm an honorary member of some US golf club as they thought it was hilarious.

Gotta be old people.
                                                                        That stuff never happens me as I doubt there is another person in the world with the same name as me any more.

Comment

Eat the same but exercise more. =weight loss
                                                                          Eat less + Exercise more = More weight loss.

Fitness pal is a decent app to have. It has all the main brands and catalogues them. When I feel motivated to eat well i find it useful.

Comment

Anyone here (Dice?) know about the tape stuff you can get for drafty windows in the winter time?

It looks like you can get both tape, and these big sheets you seem to use a hair-drier on to get them to shrink around the window frame.

The place we are in at the moment has a couple of dodgy seals that we are starting to feel in the cold weather now.

Comment

Eat less + Exercise more = More weight loss.

Fitness pal is a decent app to have. It has all the main brands and catalogues them. When I feel motivated to eat well i find it useful.
                                                                              Thanks Brady . I shall report back with great success. (In about a year)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                Anyone here (Dice?) know about the tape stuff you can get for drafty windows in the winter time?

It looks like you can get both tape, and these big sheets you seem to use a hair-drier on to get them to shrink around the window frame.

The place we are in at the moment has a couple of dodgy seals that we are starting to feel in the cold weather now.
                                                                                No idea I'm afraid

Comment

Presumably you know about the 5K parkruns every Saturday morning http://www.parkrun.ie/, bound to be one near you. Good start point to get an idea of what time you are capable of now. GLGL.

Comment

My missus got some off eBay for a fraction of what it cost in Homebase. Does a great job. Just adhesive backed afaik.

I'll find more info out later for you.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                      Presumably you know about the 5K parkruns every Saturday morning http://www.parkrun.ie/, bound to be one near you. Good start point to get an idea of what time you are capable of now. GLGL.
                                                                                      Corkagh park is my new local one Willie if you fancy joining me some Sat.

Volunteering this weekend and have a race the following week, but I'll be running it pretty much every other Sat.

Comment

My missus got some off eBay for a fraction of what it cost in Homebase. Does a great job. Just adhesive backed afaik.

I'll find more info out later for you.
                                                                                        Great, thanks.

Comment

According to Chris Kesser on a recent JRE sleep is the number two determinant in weight gain/loss. Exercise is third.

Comment

Have not drunk a coffee today. Feel like shit.

Lesson learned.

Comment

Great, thanks.
                                                                                              This is the stuff she bought.

Comment

According to Chris Kesser on a recent JRE sleep is the number two determinant in weight gain/loss. Exercise is third.
                                                                                                That's interesting if you had asked me to guess the order I would have said Diet->Genetics->Exercise but the sleep is interesting.
                                                                                                Lack of sleep is something I'm suffering from atm, it's similar to that restlessness you might get from a long poker session where its hard to switch off but it's even more disruptive.

Comment

Corkagh park is my new local one Willie if you fancy joining me some Sat.

Volunteering this weekend and have a race the following week, but I'll be running it pretty much every other Sat.
                                                                                                  Cheers LZ and AJ. Be ready for a run around July next year

Comment

That's me fucked so.

Comment

<ring, ring>

"Hello Mr Duke, this Daniel from Business Academy"

"yes, what do you want?"

"I am offering you education Mr Duke - about trading Bitcoin"

"eh, no thanks"

calling the top of the market right here, 21-Nov-2017 6.40pm BST.

Comment

Was given this today , is it safe to drink? Dont really like chardonnay . would it be gone off like lol

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Tonight's tenner has been sent in bold pursuit of a City(-2)/Pool win double.

Comment

...
                                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                              Was given this today , is it safe to drink? Dont really like chardonnay . would it be gone off like lol

It's 2017 years old. I'm not sure I'd risk it...

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                                                                Tonight's tenner has been sent in bold pursuit of a City(-2)/Pool win double.
                                                                                                                Off to a good start. Should be safe enough now

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                    It's 2017 years old. I'm not sure I'd risk it...
                                                                                                                    it will most likely be rank

open it up and have a sniff, you'll be able to tell straight away

Some Chardonnays (in the guise of Chablis) can last for decades but this is highly unlikely to be one.

Comment

Say I have a SQL table - millions of records

two particular attributes - A and B

each contains a list of values that overlap but are not exactly the same (currency codes in this case)

I want to write a query to get a distinct list of values in A that do not exist in B

help please O IT nerds

Comment

...

Comment

Didn't go well today for Judd Trump

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X