Limped pot TP weak kicker spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Limped pot TP weak kicker spot

This hand is from early stages of the Big 11. The limpers are all total donks. With the main villan playing 36/8/0 over 40 hands. Around 55% aggression post flop and has limped behind 6/9 times. I was playing 13/13/4 over the tournament so far. Don't think the villan here would notice I've been tight though.So thoughts on every street please. I should mention I hate the river lead.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 40/80 Blinds 10 Ante (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP3 (t3567)
    CO (t4220)
    Button (t5557)
    SB (t3339)
    Hero (BB) (t9146)
    UTG (t5098)
    UTG+1 (t436)
    MP1 (t1080)
    MP2 (t5380)

Hero's M: 43.55

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, 5
    2 folds, MP1 calls t80, MP2 calls t80, 2 folds, Button calls t80, 1 fold, Hero checks

Flop: (t450) K, 3, Q (4 players)
    Hero bets t267, 2 folds, Button calls t267

Turn: (t984) J (2 players)
    Hero checks, Button bets t300, Hero calls t300

River: (t1584) 5 (2 players)
    Hero bets t880, Button raises to t1760,
    Last edited by GaryT; 13-03-12, 19:23.

Good hand

I think you played it perfectly. I would sometimes bet the flop, sometimes check call.

Turn check call is perfect

River I would check/evaluate had you not hit two pair (probably folding to a bet unless it was tiny). With two pair I think bet/decide is probably best. It's tempting to be result orientated in spots like this and wish you had check called, but I think there's too much value to check it.

As to whether to call or not. I doubt he is bluffing, in fact I'd expect to lose here. I'd still call though because you actually beat some value hands (in hands like this you should always see where your hand lies in the two pair axis, as it's easier to have two pair than any other strong hand). He could have QJ or Q5 etc if he's really bad. So call, expect to lose; you're being offered just too good pot odds to fold.

Comment

He was so bad here i thought he could have ATC. hands like Q3 K3 were possible even. He could even have a set of 55s or 33s which he just played horribly. Like in a hand a minute ago he just peeled my 3 bet with K8.

I like to lead most flops in limped pots either when I'm in the blinds. I find more often than not you just pick up the pot there.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryT View Post

I like to lead most flops in limped pots either when I'm in the blinds. I find more often than not you just pick up the pot there.
        But that's a bad outcome

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
          But that's a bad outcome

I don't see how? I'm perfectly happy to big up the 3 or 4bbs out there rather than getting involved in a big pot OOP with marginal holdings.

We are never in good shape with TP no kicker when a load of chips start going in? I know I'm sort of contradicting myself here with betting obviously building the pot and seems like I want to bluff with top pair seeing as I don't want to be called.

I'm making no sense at all...

Comment

b/f turn HU, we miss out on too much value by checking against this villain. River is close between b/f and b/c, probably would come down to sizing for me. b/decide>c/c vs this type of player tho, calling as played since we only need like 15-20%
            "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

I don't see how? I'm perfectly happy to big up the 3 or 4bbs out there rather than getting involved in a big pot OOP with marginal holdings.

We are never in good shape with TP no kicker when a load of chips start going in? I know I'm sort of contradicting myself here with betting obviously building the pot and seems like I want to bluff with top pair seeing as I don't want to be called.

I'm making no sense at all...
              Yes you are not making any sense.

The objective in poker is to win chips not pots.

A marginal holding can mean many things. When you have Kx on a Kxx board, your hand my be marginal, but it is relatively secure. You are unlikely to get outdrawn.

You bet your top pair in a spot where you tend to only get called/raised when you are behind - do you think this is a winning strategy? Check calling where you induce bluffs/bets with worse hands is much better. It's more difficult, but that's life.

Comment

I ended up calling here and he showed up with AT for the nuts.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                Yes you are not making any sense.

The objective in poker is to win chips not pots.

A marginal holding can mean many things. When you have Kx on a Kxx board, your hand my be marginal, but it is relatively secure. You are unlikely to get outdrawn.

You bet your top pair in a spot where you tend to only get called/raised when you are behind - do you think this is a winning strategy? Check calling where you induce bluffs/bets with worse hands is much better. It's more difficult, but that's life.
                I see what you are saying there and it makes sense. What about if we are BB with 75o flop is 742r. Would this be the sort of spot you would prefer to lead out or still check call?

Thanks

Comment

I ended up calling here and he showed up with AT for the nuts.

I see what you are saying there and it makes sense. What about if we are BB with 75o flop is 742r. Would this be the sort of spot you would prefer to lead out or still check call?

Thanks
                  Yeah exactly, here it's much harder to play on later streets since every card is a scare card, and also our hand needs a lot more protection.

Comment

Working...
                  X