The Slowroll hand from Irish Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Slowroll hand from Irish Open

So I was thinking a bit about this hand and on reflection I think that it's pretty interesting from a strategy point of view and I really like how the German played it.
    Blinds are 50k/25k-5k ante
    Chips are at an absolute premium and the next man out means a 10k pay jump

Very Tight player raises from mid position to 100k from a stack of 28 Bigs and we are in the small blind with 25k invested and 252k behind, BB has 1M.

We look at KQdd
    Its a nice hand but if we shove our fold equity is close to zero.
    We choose to flat and plan a stop an go on any non Ace board.

Our options are:
    We just stick them in if the BB raises.
    If not we shove any non Ace board with some fold equity.
    Check fold any ace high board (excepting flush/open end draws) and find a hand in one of the next 6 hands to go with.
    Check call any nut hands.

Isn't this a much better option than the open shove?

It certainly has its merits, but tbh I don't think that's the debatable part of the hand!

Personally I shove to fold out the BB, KQ not a hand I want to play 3 handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
      Our options are:
      We just stick them in if the BB raises.
      If not we shove any non Ace board with some fold equity.
      Check fold any ace high board (excepting flush/open end draws) and find a hand in one of the next 6 hands to go with.
      Check call any nut hands.
      You're in a shit situation no matter what, the call is possibly marginally less shit than the shove but folding your 3bb stack on an ace high board would be awful, better to just stick to the stop n go plan on all boards

Comment

no.

Comment

I prefer it to the shove as well, it effectively gives you two opportunities to ladder .

If you have put that much thought into it and and are aware of the cards you are holding you snap call the all in.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The main reason I dislike the flat off 5.5bbs from the SB here is the BB is now getting 5.8:1 to call and I expect him to with a very wide range to try and tag team me out of the tournament. While KQs flops well multi-way I think the +cEV of shoving and getting it heads up the vast majority of the time is greater than letting the hand get 3 way and watering down our equity when we are this short (I havn't sat down and number crunched this but would be reasonably confident this is the case.) If we were closing the action in the BB I think Stop/Going is possible but there would be no board I wouldn't donk shove in on vs Donnacha and expect rare folds. I think the reality is though that with such a short stack its just be better to rip pre regardless of seat and take our equity which i expect to be spot on 50%. I gave Donnacha a range of 22% here which seems reasonable given his specific holding showing non premium opens were in there and how he was playing throughout and its 49.5% for the KQs.
            Last edited by Daragh999; 10-04-15, 13:35.
            They will be like WTF how does he always have the top of his range, and they will be saying that when you show up with like nine's - Jimmy Fricke
            Nine's are the top of my range - Shaun Deeb

Comment

Working...
            X