Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stack taken off table

Hello,

Love the forum and now I have found a reason to post.

I play in a pub game on a regular basis and qualified to play in the league final.
    I arrived at the pub for the game thinking I was early but found that the final had started early to allow the normal game to run afterwards. My stack had been removed as I had arrived after the break. I was disappointed and left.

Driving home the thought came to me that the stack should have been left on the table and blinded away as the chips were effectively paid for. They normally put a couple of dead stacks on the tables for late arrivals and the stacks are removed at the break. I turned around and went back and called the TD aside and told him I had a problem with the decision to remove the stack.

He spoke to the players and all but one objected to my stack being reinstated. The objector said that the stack being removed had affected play and the run of the cards.
    In any case majority ruled and my stack was reinstated and I went on to win heads up against the objector, who wasn't happy and had refused a offer to split.

What should have happened?

in our own league finals stacks are taken off table at first break unless player is working late and has told the td before hd then his stack is left till he comes .

as it was your local and really like a home game then i think it was ok too put your stack back in play less few rounds on blinds

Comment

Originally posted by doggindonkey View Post
      all but one objected to my stack being reinstated.
      In any case majority ruled and my stack was reinstated
      Some majority

Anyway, strange to have a league final on before a normal game as if they are trying to rush it through. Things like this are why I've given up trying to understand how pub games are run.

Re: your actual query it differs from tourney to tourney afaik but no matter what decision is made I think the TD has to be strong and stand by it.

Others may disagree but imo once it's been removed it really shouldn't be put back on the table. Congrats on the bink and welcome aboard.
      Pining for Wa'erford

Comment

Originally posted by corkie123 View Post
        in our own league finals stacks are taken off table at first break unless player is working late and has told the td before hd then his stack is left till he comes .

as it was your local and really like a home game then i think it was ok too put your stack back in play less few rounds on blinds
        yea the game has mainly 80% regular players and is friendly enough. The TD did work out the blinds and deducted them from the stack. The objector was really pissed though still not happy. I felt pretty strongly that my stack should have stayed. If you reg for a tourney online and don't make it, you are left in sit-out and your stack is blinded out.

Comment

Originally posted by sligboi View Post
          Some majority

lol.. yea

Anyway, strange to have a league final on before a normal game as if they are trying to rush it through. Things like this are why I've given up trying to understand how pub games are run.

a lot of players didn't qualify and wanted to play their weekly game

Re: your actual query it differs from tourney to tourney afaik but no matter what decision is made I think the TD has to be strong and stand by it.

Others may disagree but imo once it's been removed it really shouldn't be put back on the table. Congrats on the bink and welcome aboard.

so it should have stayed in theory but once removed and hands are played the ruling to remove the stack should have stood? and ty
          Last edited by doggindonkey; 20-04-11, 02:21.

Comment

Was I involved in this

Comment

think you'd have to be there before it restarted after the break to be able to play in a live tournament which is a bit different from online tournaments ....but this is a pub game so its usually just up to the TD
              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                Was I involved in this
                ?

Comment

?
                  Is mise Cillian.

Comment

Originally posted by healwayscallsmedonkey View Post
                    think you'd have to be there before it restarted after the break to be able to play in a live tournament which is a bit different from online tournaments ....but this is a pub game so its usually just up to the TD
                    Ok fair enough.. I just thought if your chips are paid for, then they stay until blinded away.

Comment

Is mise Cillian.
                      lol... yep...

didn't want to mention names or places...

just to see what people thought

Comment

Cool me too.

Comment

Is mise Cillian Chadley.

Comment

Removed at first break is common enough. If its left there until its reduce to the felt it gives the guy to the right of your stack a huge advantage, basically two buttons every round, dead big when he is in the small blind, dead sb when he is button

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              Removed at first break is common enough. If its left there until its reduce to the felt it gives the guy to the right of your stack a huge advantage, basically two buttons every round, dead big when he is in the small blind, dead sb when he is button
                              This.

It was coming to the business end of the tourny (a 10 man sng) and gave an advantage to a player at the table. It is also pretty standard for the stack to come out.

I don't take the stack as a paid for stack. IMO it isn't.

Comment

How so that you didn't know the starting time?

Comment

If I could refer you to this Thread

This incident happened this year in Clane & I was the player who unfortunately for personal reasons was unable to return on the 3rd Day when all 25 players already left in the tournament were in the money.

The only slight difference here is that I had informed the TD that I would not be returning. I felt at the time that my stack should have been left in play & as it turned out instead of finishing 25th I would have moved way up the pay out list as a number of players went out very quickly. However a number of very valid points were raised in this thread as to why they should be removed.

Funny thing is if I had said I was trying to get back my chips would have remained in play.

I do feel that once your chips were removed they should not have been reintroduced.

Comment

I actually run a pub game myself and have our league final pencilled in for next weekend

Unless a player has contacted me in advance with a valid reason and is making every effort to be there as soon as poss I would also remove any ''dead stacks'' at the first break (after 6 levels), having done this there is no way the TD should have allowed the stack to be reintroduced IMO.

Also really the TD should have a contact point ie mobile or email for all players in their league and send a reminder re times and such.

I can understand the other player been annoyed and I certainly would be in he's shoes aswell. Its not good for the game and sets a dangerous precedent imo, you may well end up in the next league final night that half the field choose to arrive whenever they feel like, leading to a very messy tournament.

Comment

Personally i think the stack when paid for should be left out until its naturally blinded away.
                                      People saying its unfair because some people get two buttons
                                      i think it adds an interesting dynamic to the game and by removing the chips its unfair to players who have abrain and can exploit the situation.

Maybe its a lazy way for tournament directors to quicken the tournament and make breaking tables easier.
                                      Online the stacks are left out until the player is gone ocne they have paid there entry or won a ticket for an event the same should be applied in live play.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                        I actually run a pub game myself and have our league final pencilled in for next weekend

Unless a player has contacted me in advance with a valid reason and is making every effort to be there as soon as poss I would also remove any ''dead stacks'' at the first break (after 6 levels), having done this there is no way the TD should have allowed the stack to be reintroduced IMO.

Also really the TD should have a contact point ie mobile or email for all players in their league and send a reminder re times and such.

I can understand the other player been annoyed and I certainly would be in he's shoes aswell. Its not good for the game and sets a dangerous precedent imo, you may well end up in the next league final night that half the field choose to arrive whenever they feel like, leading to a very messy tournament.
                                        Surely if people have paid there entry fee they can arrive when they like its not school.
                                        They will lose chips from being blinded away which is a disadvantage
                                        and the players who arrive on time can gain easy chips hence an advantage.

Its messy beacuse you as the TD have to do some extra work easy deal 2 cards to a dead stack and put out blinds
                                        players will complain cos Johnny is coming late they ahve no clue they have an advantage

used happen in teh Fitz Paddy O neill once he had a stack would head for apint or 3 and people be crying liek babies that hes not playing when he was getting blinded away
                                        free chips and they still complain DROOLERS

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                          Personally i think the stack when paid for should be left out until its naturally blinded away.
                                          People saying its unfair because some people get two buttons
                                          i think it adds an interesting dynamic to the game and by removing the chips its unfair to players who have abrain and can exploit the situation.

Maybe its a lazy way for tournament directors to quicken the tournament and make breaking tables easier.
                                          Online the stacks are left out until the player is gone ocne they have paid there entry or won a ticket for an event the same should be applied in live play.
                                          So unfair advantages should be allowed because a player who cops it can exploit it as reward for copping it.

Ridiculous.

Comment

I think the stack should be taken away from play at a certain time. The dead stack will influence a lot of action and create dynamics people are not happy with eg whoevers sb to your bb every orbit.

Imo the TD should inform players who qualify that there is a cutoff time that you can sit down and play your stack. To me it sounds like the TD was unprepared for the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              The difference here is that this is a stack that has been paid for and if there is a small advantage to someone then thats the luck of the draw.

ALso LOL at the objector complaining that it broke the run of the cards maybe the 10's were 'out'* till you came along and broke his Mojo

*Copyright: The Chief
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

In this particular situation the most important issue is why the tournament was on at a different time than expected and if the player was informed of this a reasonable amount of time beforehand.

If they changed the start time last minute or didn't let the player know well in advance he shouldn't be penalised imo.

Comment

So unfair advantages should be allowed because a player who cops it can exploit it as reward for copping it.

Ridiculous.
                                                  Its not unfair the chips should be left until by way of the blinds they are distributed amongest the remaining players.

Comment

While I agree with you Strew that the better players should in theory be able to take advantage, what about the poor player stuck on a full table and he looks over and sees who he regards as hes main threat sitting at a table with 4/5 players sittin out?

And its not as simple as saying they have paid for the chips, ok they technically have by qualifying but they have given no indication as to whether they intend playing or not, so they havent registered in effect and leaving the stacks to blind away changes the whole dynamic of the game not only for the affected table but for everyone in the tournie.

Comment

.I agree that the stack should be taken at the break before it restarts, as its normally like that akain. but I would be rightly pissed if I turned up early to the game, only to find out that thy started it early. thats way out of line, especially not informing you of it.

Comment

Its not unfair the chips should be left until by way of the blinds they are distributed amongest the remaining players.
                                                        You seem to be assuming its a one table tourney, what about the mugs on the other tables who had no such luxury.

The TD in this case was originally fully correct and he's big mistake was reversing the decision, he should have a set of rules, available to all players on request and stick by them.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                          You seem to be assuming its a one table tourney, what about the mugs on the other tables who had no such luxury.

The TD in this case was originally fully correct and he's big mistake was reversing the decision, he should have a set of rules, available to all players on request and stick by them.
                                                          Luck of the draw i know its not a stt.
                                                          I when tables break the mugs as you call them might get a chance to be on some blinded away stacks tables
                                                          regardless of advantages or disadvantages once payment or entry has been paid i think
                                                          the chips should be there till blinded away

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Horney View Post
                                                            I think the stack should be taken away from play at a certain time. The dead stack will influence a lot of action and create dynamics people are not happy with eg whoevers sb to your bb every orbit.

Imo the TD should inform players who qualify that there is a cutoff time that you can sit down and play your stack. To me it sounds like the TD was unprepared for the situation.
                                                            TD was very prepared. Every effort was made to contact the player, even contacting friends of his.
                                                            Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                            In this particular situation the most important issue is why the tournament was on at a different time than expected and if the player was informed of this a reasonable amount of time beforehand.

If they changed the start time last minute or didn't let the player know well in advance he shouldn't be penalised imo.
                                                            It was advertised as being on earlier.
                                                            Until the first break where it is fairly standard that they come out of play.

The prizepool was made up of %'s of prizepools in the weeks leading up so imo not paid for like a normal tournament, therefore taking the chips out is ok. Especially after the effort put into trying to contact the player in the week leading up to it.

Comment

Chadley the objectinator as mentioned in OP?
                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                Chadley the objectinator as mentioned in OP?
                                                                Nope

I wouldn't object as a player tbh.

If making the call as TD I would.

Comment

More interested in why his stack was put back in? You should have stuck by your decision. Was he allowed to join with a full stack, or did he lose ~1500 due to lost blinds?

I've always been of the opinion that stacks should remain on the table as per my posts in the thread kakak1 linked to, and my opinions in that thread still stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                    More interested in why his stack was put back in? You should have stuck by your decision. Was he allowed to join with a full stack, or did he lose ~1500 due to lost blinds?

I've always been of the opinion that stacks should remain on the table as per my posts in the thread kakak1 linked to, and my opinions in that thread still stand.
                                                                    He lost chips due to blinds.

His stack was put back in because everyone agreed to put him back in and a couple of players made a big deal about it. The objector crumbled and said majority rules let him in.

Comment

i think ur blinded away until break then removed after that, once ur stack is taken away from the tournament i dont think it should b allowed back personally, everything changes, its gone from 10 handed to 9 handed people are after getten involved in pots which wudnt have happened if the stack was there,the dynamics of the game change..

Comment

TD was very prepared. Every effort was made to contact the player, even contacting friends of his.

The prizepool was made up of %'s of prizepools in the weeks leading up so imo not paid for like a normal tournament, therefore taking the chips out is ok. Especially after the effort put into trying to contact the player in the week leading up to it.
                                                                        CHD comments are accurate.... The game was advertised as starting earlier.. they made valiant efforts to contact me on the number they had for me (but i was no longer contactable on that phone) and they had tried to contact me via friends. 120% credit to the organisers on that count. I did get word of the date but not the time and presumed it would run at the normal game time.

But just to clarify.. i didn't make a big fuss, I simply told the TD that I thought it was a unfair decision and told him I would prefer if I could be reinstated but understood that a TD has the final say. The TD said he would ask the players and most agreed and I was reinstated less blinds.

I posted to get feedback and to see what the consensus would be.

There seems to be a mixed reaction as to whether the stack should have stayed or not. I still feel strongly that it should as per online or major live tournament. If you pay for or win a place in a tourney, same difference you are registered so the chips are live, not a dead stack!.

Most contributors seem to agree that once a decision to remove the stack was taken by the TD, the decision should have stood.

Thanks for the comments!
                                                                        Last edited by doggindonkey; 20-04-11, 17:48.

Comment

of course he paid for his chips by contributing to the other prizepools it wasnt a freeroll.looks like the td is to blame here.if some1 cant be contacted its not there fault and the chips should stay in play.was the time change by much

Comment

CHD comments are accurate.... The game was advertised as starting earlier.. they made valiant efforts to contact me on the number they had for me (but i was no longer contactable on that phone) and they had tried to contact me via friends. 120% credit to the organisers on that count. I did get word of the date but not the time and presumed it would run at the normal game time.

But just to clarify.. i didn't make a big fuss, I simply told the TD that I thought it was a unfair decision and told him I would prefer if I could be reinstated but understood that a TD has the final say. The TD said he would ask the players and most agreed and I was reinstated less blinds.

I posted to get feedback and to see what the consensus would be.

There seems to be a mixed reaction as to whether the stack should have stayed or not. I still feel strongly that it should as per online or major live tournament. If you pay for or win a place in a tourney, same difference you are registered so the chips are live, not a dead stack!.

Most contributors seem to agree that once a decision to remove the stack was taken by the TD, the decision should have stood.

Thanks for the comments!
                                                                            online is different to a 10 man sng down the pub because there is more hands and u will blind out quicker.the td has to stand by his decision so by saying no then asking the players.good debate well done for bring this up.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by knokies View Post
                                                                              of course he paid for his chips by contributing to the other prizepools it wasnt a freeroll.looks like the td is to blame here.if some1 cant be contacted its not there fault and the chips should stay in play.was the time change by much
                                                                              normal game starts at 8.30pm, league final started at roughly 5.30pm so the normal game could go ahead. (except i didn't know ) I have no complaint about the way the game was run, just in my humble opinion the stack should have stayed. Felt strongly that I was right about the stack but a bit regretful that some of the players I play with regularly were pissed.

It's a good game, the players are very good and know their poker but like to mix it up. Normally pays €1000 first prize and decent league play off every 3 months or so. The cash game is mega if you have the balls for it and the roll.

So the way i now see it on the point about the stack staying on the table I was right but once a TD makes a decision it should stand right or wrong for consistency sake.
                                                                              Last edited by doggindonkey; 20-04-11, 23:43.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Still think I was right and only for I was violently ill and heading off when you walked in I would have never let the stack be put back in. In the end there was no objection so I left it as it was with Daire and Brian.

Congrats on the win!

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Still think I was right and only for I was violently ill and heading off when you walked in I would have never let the stack be put back in. In the end there was no objection so I left it as it was with Daire and Brian.

Congrats on the win!
                                                                                  lol... don't want to have a row online... it was meant to be an anonymous scenario.. yep I agree you were 'really' not well and this issue was the last thing on your mind, but did you not say to me when I called you aside as TD, that you agreed that the stack should have stayed but you told me there was a discussion at the break, were players suggested the stack should be removed, the event organiser pointed out there might be an issue if the player (me) turned up, but the stack was removed anyway.

ty for the congrats!!!

Comment

#42
                                                                                    The post wasn't an attack on the TD, dealers or venue because I honestly believe they are some of the best dealers I have seen and they are totally professional and fair, even though Daire deals me some of the worst cards I have ever seen.. lol

I honestly wanted a bit of feedback on a scenario without mentioning people or places. I thought I was right but felt a bit bad about the situation especially as I went on to win it, which is unusual lately.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      I agreed that I would feel the same as yourself probably, I didn't want to take your stack off. As TD though I was always making that decision, I had even announced the Thursday before to the other finalists that this is what the scenario would be should someone not show. If I did say that to you I was talking shite! I had definetly made my view clear on it before the day had even come.

The players did not discuss it and decide, I did. They discussed letting you back in when you arrived up to play as a few of them wanted you back in as they thought it was the fair thing to do.

The event organizer was just worried if you showed he would have to tell you you can't play, that is perfectly understandable but I am not leaving the stack there so he doesn't have to do something he rather wouldn't.

It is pretty standard to remove the stack in a live game. I will do the same in future and hopefully won't have eaten something dodgy the day before.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        The post wasn't an attack on the TD, dealers or venue because I honestly believe they are some of the best dealers I have seen and they are totally professional and fair, even though Daire deals me some of the worst cards I have ever seen.. lol

I honestly wanted a bit of feedback on a scenario without mentioning people or places. I thought I was right but felt a bit bad about the situation especially as I went on to win it, which is unusual lately.
                                                                                        Nothing is taken as an attack, was interested to hear others opinions myself

Comment

#45
                                                                                          @ CHD....

You run a great game.....

I think from the posts we agree as players the stack should probably stay but in your role as a TD you have to run the game efficiently and there is a reason for removing the stack.

My question is why is the stack removed, speed of play? or to prevent players beside a non active 'dead' stack having an advantage? or is there another reason.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            How many hours were you late for the game?

Comment

#47
                                                                                              normal game starts at 8.30pm, league final started at roughly 5.30pm so the normal game could go ahead. (except i didn't know ) I have no complaint about the way the game was run, just in my humble opinion the stack should have stayed. Felt strongly that I was right about the stack but a bit regretful that some of the players I play with regularly were pissed.

It's a good game, the players are very good and know their poker but like to mix it up. Normally pays €1000 first prize and decent league play off every 3 months or so. The cash game is mega if you have the balls for it and the roll.

So the way i now see it on the point about the stack staying on the table I was right but once a TD makes a decision it should stand right or wrong for consistency sake.
                                                                                              dose this mean u were 3 hours late?for consistency sake like in any business the buck stops with the head man.these are the games that started us all off playing poker so it good to see there still going i think there dying a death lately we used to get 5 to 6 tables now it 2 maybe 3

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by Raheny Red View Post
                                                                                                How many hours were you late for the game?
                                                                                                I believe the game started at approx 5.30pm to allow the regular game later, I thought it was going to start at the normal time of 8pm and arrived around 7pm.

To be fair the organiser's made every attempt to inform me but the number they had was no longer in service, they did get word to friends who told me the date but not the time so I presumed the game was on at the normal time.

Bit fXXked up... because at the time I was running bad and hadn't played for a while, but had qualified for the league final for the previous quarter... turned up late, bitched, local players being nice let me play and I fXXked them all up by winning from a relative short stack... poker is a crazy exhilarating, depressing game that fXXks with your head, but I love it anyway and I hope to die with a royal flush and a hard on in my hand!!!!

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  @ CHD....

I think from the posts we agree as players the stack should probably stay but in your role as a TD you have to run the game efficiently and there is a reason for removing the stack.

My question is why is the stack removed, speed of play? or to prevent players beside a non active 'dead' stack having an advantage? or is there another reason.
                                                                                                  imo i think the stack should stay but when they get to the money because its live poker and u didnt play a hand they should kill the stack and if u turned up they could always say u got blinded out.its an advantage to the person to the right its a massive advantage.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by knokies View Post
                                                                                                    imo i think the stack should stay but when they get to the money because its live poker and u didnt play a hand they should kill the stack and if u turned up they could always say u got blinded out.its an advantage to the person to the right its a massive advantage.
                                                                                                    Ok, fair comment, starting to understand why a (paid for) stack might be removed, still don't agree. If the stack is paid for and the player isn't playing, that's poker and each player has to adapt and take it into consideration.

I played the paddypowerpoker shop freeroll, there was 5 'dead' or 'sitting out' stacks on a few of the table's I played and we all carved up their blinds between decent hands.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      @ CHD....

Cheers!

Would sum it up , yep.

Removed as it is an unfair advantage. Thing is it gave an even bigger advantage in this situation ( 10 man SNG -v- a MTT ) So I do think it was the correct decision. For the next final I will make things clear from start of the league

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        This is different to the Kakak1 thread IMO, because in that scenario we had a guy who had been involved in the tournament for days getting called away, giving the TD the courtesy of telling him he wouldn't be back and losing out on the chance to move up the pay ladder because of the courtesy.

This scenario on the other hand is a pure no-show, with the TDs having made reasonable attempts at communicating the change of gametime to the player. In an STT, a deadstack drastically alters the table dynamics, giving certain players major advantage.

This should be put up with for some amount of time to allow the missing player time to show up, but there's no way it should still be happening two or three hours into the game, especially in a League Final.

Correct decision to remove stack IMO.

Comment

#53

The fifth rule here.

POKER369 merupakan agen judi IDN poker online paling terpercaya di Indonesia dan juga sebagai situs slot gacor maxwin resmi terbaik provider terbaru tahun 2024

Fourth rule down.

Roberts rules appears to agree with removing the players stack if they cannot be contacted.
                                                                                                          It comes down to the house rules & the TD's discretion & I don't think a player can complain too much either way.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            CHD is a very bad person.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 21-04-11, 16:52. Reason: very
                                                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                            X