Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    wowsers. Meant to be 38 degrees in Rennes.
    GF is hiking Mt Blanc this summer and mentioned last week how warm it is now and how warm it's expected to me but I didnt think much of it.

Apparently its expected to be ridiculous, concentrated around Chamonix which isn't as bad as Rennes but as you know better than most now, long walks take it out of people of all ages.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Weighed in on the HH Twitter storm

Comment

Twitter is 98% scutter and 2% very interesting stuff. The internet used to be the other way around until the general public figured out how to use it.

Comment

Just booked a cleaner for the weekend to give the gaff a good once over before in-laws start arriving ahead of the wedding.

The one I booked has an auto reply through the website where she says

'I'm very responsible and capricious. I'm ready to better serve you.'

Jaysus, I could have just left the cleaning to Mrs Lao Lao and saved myself a few quid

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
              Twitter is 98% scutter and 2% very interesting stuff. The internet used to be the other way around until the general public figured out how to use it.
              Part of the problem is you now have to see every post everyone you follow likes, as opposed to just the retweets as it used to be. Harder to tune you stream . Too much hassle in my opinion
              airport, lol

Comment

Hitch and Strewelpeter are the same person, very knowledgeable on stuff that the majority doesn’t give a bollocks about but clueless on the other stuff. Although Hitch is about 9 levels above Strewel in werewolf ability

Comment

Comment

lol Hitch, that was a fun read.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That's a very reasonable summary. Especially on relative ww ability.
                      In the DCU situation or even today, if you were back in TCD, could they care less or are they simply happy enough to leave you off once it's all relatively benign?

Comment

Welcome back Stereolab. Awesome gig in Vicar St. tonight. You've been sorely missed.

Not posting this for monetary gain, only to share my love of the music. Please support the artist. http://www.stereolab.co.uk/news/[[[VJ'ing, Live Visuals, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          lol Hitch, that was a fun read.
                          Some Irish “right on twitter” heavyweights involved,Hitch better better watch out he will end up in the Irish Times yet , their agony aunt had a little dig (I reckon she makes up most of the letters as they always hit a bunch of right on talking points just so). This is her Twitter handle “Creator Hag. Feminism, Film, Sex, Culture. Fulbright Nerd. she/her. Burning the fucking myths to the goddamn ground”
                          Last edited by Guest; 25-06-19, 23:16.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                Twitter is a great news source. But beyond that it is of diminishing value. Twitter pile ons are so en vogue.
                                I find it’s a lot of fun railing against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                  I find it’s a lot of fun railing against them.
                                  I think some people-perhaps GAB- are good at filtering their feed but in my experience there's not much additional news on Twitter, I would have otherwise missed without using it.
                                  Perhaps that's as much a matter of personal interests, I'm sure it's great for some esoteric interests.

Essentially mindlessly scrolling too often, so I deleted it. I have a couple of physical weekly magazine subs along with IrishTimes online plus another online sub that arrives quarterly.
                                  If something pops up in any of those places that's of particular interest then I'll go find some more on it.

I find I spend too much time staring at a screen anyway so avoiding Twitter is a good way of curbing a large chunk of that.
                                  Last edited by Guest; 26-06-19, 06:05.

Comment

Also anyone who includes their "Dr." title in their name on there instantly gets labeled as a dose. Women are far more guilty of it for some reason.

Comment

Vodafone upping their prices rather stealthily. Need a cheaper mobile option .

Comment

]

Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-06-19, 07:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                          Just booked a cleaner for the weekend to give the gaff a good once over before in-laws start arriving ahead of the wedding.

The one I booked has an auto reply through the website where she says

'I'm very responsible and capricious. I'm ready to better serve you.':
                                          Surely this applies to all those of the female persuasion?
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Just want to state for the record how thoroughly I am enjoying the women’s World Cup, standard is fantastic, particularly the goalkeeping.
                                              SPOILER
                                              just in case they find this place

Comment

I wonder what Lao Lao's capricious cleaner might have meant to say Maybe she's just very honest.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  ]

What's the context to this?
                                                  Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Comment

]

What am I missing here? What is the tweet in response to?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                        I wonder what Lao Lao's capricious cleaner might have meant to say Maybe she's just very honest.
                                                        Seems to be used by a lot of Brazilian people. Then caprichoso is the direct translation to Portuguese which can also mean meticulous/make things with care/keep things tidy. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caprichoso https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ish/caprichoso
                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                          Just want to state for the record how thoroughly I am enjoying the women’s World Cup, standard is fantastic, particularly the goalkeeping.
                                                          SPOILER
                                                          just in case they find this place
                                                          Actually really looking forward to the France v USA quarter-final on Friday.
                                                          Was happy when checked and saw it was an evening kick-off.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                            Actually really looking forward to the France v USA quarter-final on Friday.
                                                            Was happy when checked and saw it was an evening kick-off.
                                                            Ive been watching a few as well, its entertaining and good on its own merits. Some of the media stuff is overplaying it though, I’d suspect lot of it is Yaaaas Queen twitter heads who wouldn’t care about football anyway though
                                                            Ive been in Italy past few weeks, there was almost zero people watching even the Italy games in in the bars we frequented while Euro U21s were getting semi packed houses
                                                            Hate watching the USA after the Thailand debacle has sucked me in, vive la france
                                                            Last edited by Guest; 26-06-19, 10:06.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                              What am I missing here? What is the tweet in response to?
                                                              Its a generic twitter kick off response placed out of context and all the responses following are in the same vein

All the same sort of generic stuff that was being fired at Hitch yesterday. Who is yer wan who was offended by him, what did she do other than riding Johnny Vegas? She's not Eamo's daughter is she
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I'm sure there's a reason why Ireland isn't loading up on cheap long-term debt to fund capital projects, but I'm not really sure what it is. If the market is offering you negative yielding debt I say take it.

Comment

Also Women’s soccer World Cup more competitive and hence more prestigious than the men’s Rugby World Cup.
                                                                  Glad thats on in Japan this year will be able to sleep through most of it

Comment

I'm sure there's a reason why Ireland isn't loading up on cheap long-term debt to fund capital projects, but I'm not really sure what it is. If the market is offering you negative yielding debt I say take it.
                                                                    And build a fucking Metro!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      And build a fucking Metro!
                                                                      But what about the quality of the folk deciding how we’ll spend it. Shane Ross for example?
                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                        Also Women’s soccer World Cup more competitive and hence more prestigious than the men’s Rugby World Cup.
                                                                        Glad thats on in Japan this year will be able to sleep through most of it
                                                                        All world cups are terrible outside mens football. Format of cricket WC particularly appaling. Nearly 2 months of faffing around with lots of dead rubbers in coming weeks to eventually get down to the last four that most would have predicted.
                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 26-06-19, 10:51.

Comment

Not sure there's anything wrong with Shane Ross. He's had one big plan so far which was to stop people drinking and driving. Everyone opposed it and he still got it through.

Similarly with Dublin Airport expansion which is vital - he had to use quite a lot of trickery to get that approved.

Biggest ever expansion of greenways and cycle routes.

BusConnects - despite all the opposition - will be implemented.

Metro building approved.

Not sure what plan he has started that he hasn't implemented reasonably well?
                                                                              Nothing is approved for Dublin Airport

Comment

Not sure there's anything wrong with Shane Ross. He's had one big plan so far which was to stop people drinking and driving. Everyone opposed it and he still got it through.

Similarly with Dublin Airport expansion which is vital - he had to use quite a lot of trickery to get that approved.
                                                                                What did he get approved?

Strange one to defend. Goes out of his way to make a tit of himself consistently. He's done fuck all.

Cycling in city is a disaster.
                                                                                Bus connects could be a disaster.
                                                                                Metro? Yeah he's done loads there
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Oh, and the lowest number of road deaths on record. Actually its there or thereabouts now the absolutely safest country for driving in the world.

EDIT: third safest country in the world for driving
                                                                                  And Trump has highest stock market numbers.
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                        Seems to be used by a lot of Brazilian people. Then caprichoso is the direct translation to Portuguese which can also mean meticulous/make things with care/keep things tidy. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caprichoso https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ish/caprichoso
                                                                                        Also, Brazilians are volitile are absolute fuck. So capricious is putting it politely.

On s related note. Had a cleaner around today, well a team of three as it turned out. A dream team they were not. I was at work, so don't know what they did except that somehow the floor was a lot dirtier than when they came.
                                                                                        A normal, not particularly dirty floor, was destroyed by 3 sets of tiny footprints.

Comment

...

Comment

Thought we'd be discussing San Francisco banning e-cigs https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48752929
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Someone needs to tell Dublin Airport in that case as they've already started building the runway.

I was referring more to the flight time permissions - which is maybe what you are referring to also - he did something quite smart (even if it wasn't seen that way in the media) with the noise regulator appointment that makes it far more likely they can fly early morning / late evening. Was speaking to a former head of Irish aviation regulation, and he thought it was smart the way Ross had approached it.
                                                                                              Runway was permitted in 2007.

The noise regulator stuff has very little to do with Ross, had been ongoing for some time and should have actually been in a couple of years at this stage. The airport had to delay their plans until it was approved recently and it still won't be enacted until later in the year delaying things further. And can guarantee any permission will be judicially reviewed so the mess will continue

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                Also anyone who includes their "Dr." title in their name on there instantly gets labeled as a dose. Women are far more guilty of it for some reason.
                                                                                                Also people who use one of those big head cartoon caricatures of themselves as their profile pic. Cunts. GP I went to once had one of himself in his office , never went back.
                                                                                                Those things legitimately creep me out. Irish Times business section always use them for their big weekly interview of some absolute dose of a CEO .

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                  What did you plan to use the drone for TD?

I only ask because the guy who took pics of the outside of our house used a drone and I thought it was a very good side gig, approx 150e for 20 mins, looked a handy one.
                                                                                                  I'd hope to expand to do some video stuff & some aerial photography with it. Got it sold this morning so won't be doing anything for awhile.

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                                                  Are you not at WSOP Danny
                                                                                                  Not this year unfortunately.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                  @Gab/Zuut/Raoul what wine pairs well with words?

Awesome show. Seasons 1 & 4 were a bit hit and miss but 2 and 3 blew it out of the park.

Fucking major man love for Hastings.

Just started season 5 last night, holy shit! You can't level a 'slow burner' claim against it. Was even a little too fast paced. Had to pause halfway through to gather our thoughts.
                                                                                                  Battle Of

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                  He went missing on the first Saturday of the Festival and i was over the second weekend for the Deepstack game (Thurs-Sun) and the first i heard of it was the following week on the news. Altough maybe they didnt start a proper investigation till he missed his return flight?
                                                                                                  The police were alerted pretty early to him being missing, I had popped over and he had either been missing a day or possibly even less when I heard about it.

Seen a missing persons thing on Twitter yesterday (I'd always retweet when seen) and it was of a chap who lives up the road from me, hope there's a good outcome from it.
                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

They're building the runway right now? - like, literally out your window! Or is this a sham and the media is lying?

Of course cycling is a disaster, but it had previously been ignored and is now being invested in quite significantly.

I trust the world expert who has developed BusConnect routes for cities all over the world over nonsense from idiot locals.

For the metro - he literally got the funding for it! Before him the metro had been stopped. Now it is approved and proceeding. Apart from magicing a metro into existence overnight what more could he have done?!
                                                                                                    Oh ya that ya that's going ahead. In spite of Ross not because of him. Could hazard a guess at same for rest.

Metro funding is because there's more available funds now. You really think Ross got that in where another minister wouldn't have.

Healy rae can't be the benchmark for anything!!
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                      All world cups are terrible outside mens football. Format of cricket WC particularly appaling. Nearly 2 months of faffing around with lots of dead rubbers in coming weeks to eventually get down to the last four that most would have predicted.
                                                                                                      Not so sure about England making it now

Comment

Biggest ever expansion of greenways and cycle routes.

BusConnects - despite all the opposition - will be implemented.

Metro building approved.

Not sure what plan he has started that he hasn't implemented reasonably well?

He’s still a knob

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                          Not so sure about England making it now
                                                                                                          Pakistan seem to have woken up alright.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Was reading a bit about the heatwave given it has now officially hit us. Last big heatwave in France in 2003 killed a whopping 12,000 people.

Seems that a big killer, and I mention it only because its surprising, is people sunbathing on the beach and then jumping straight in the sea. They're so hot on the beach and the sea is so cold by comparison that their hearts go *BOOM* from the temperature shock. Bit on a tragically unexpected way to go. Mainly people in their fifties, sixties, as your heart is a bit on the edge at that age anyway, no matter how good you've treated it.
                                                                                                                Heard it was 15k on RTE last night. Couldn't a didn't believe it. Absolutely mental. Nice little cull of the over 60s!!

Comment

Ive set up a twitter account to weigh in on any more Hitch parenting tweetwars

Comment

Was reading a bit about the heatwave given it has now officially hit us. Last big heatwave in France in 2003 killed a whopping 12,000 people.

Seems that a big killer, and I mention it only because its surprising, is people sunbathing on the beach and then jumping straight in the sea. They're so hot on the beach and the sea is so cold by comparison that their hearts go *BOOM* from the temperature shock. Bit on a tragically unexpected way to go. Mainly people in their fifties, sixties, as your heart is a bit on the edge at that age anyway, no matter how good you've treated it.
                                                                                                                    I did a driving tour of Europe that summer. 1km walk from hotel to where car was parked one day in something like 45C nearly killed us. Was like opening an oven door when one of the lads wound down the window for a smoke.

Comment

Yer wan tweeted involved in #HitchGate tweeted today that she had been contacted by hundreds, HUNDREDS of radio stations to go on and talk about it but she refused. Also made her son pose with an open paper with the caption straight to the finance section some dose

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X