Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gambler - John O'Shea Documentary

Hey All,

Apologies for the plug but thought ye might be interested in this. There is a documentary airing on Setanta Ireland (Freeview) this Friday, April 5th at 10pm titled 'The Gambler' that follows a year in the life of Irish Poker Pro John O'Shea.

Here is a 2 minute trailer of what ye can expect.

In this special one-hour documentary we enter the bizarre high stakes world of professional gambling as we trail Ireland's hottest young card slinger John O'...

Promo looks great, gonna be out of country on Friday next though, will it be available online anywhere?

Comment

The documentary won't be available to watch online but it will be repeated on Setanta over the next few weeks. I'll post up any further details when we know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
        Promo looks great, gonna be out of country on Friday next though, will it be available online anywhere?
        eircom give members eircom/sportshub in conjunction with setanta so if you could get a login you could watch it. Being out of the country you will probably also need an irish vpn location too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler View Post
          The documentary won't be available to watch online .
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

This is not a programme I will be encouraging the missus to watch. This will be best recorded and watched in the wee hours of the morning.

Just a question, will this be on the tinternet?

Comment

I want to "complete the game"
              twitter
              moneybookers

Comment

Somebody make this available by legal means please

<_<

Comment

Hope it doesnt show any drunken bining of chips.
                  location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

$400,000 gone in a few days....

Total life earnings: $1,109,571. Latest cash: $898 on 01-Oct-2023. Click here to see the details of John O'Shea's 59 cashes.

Track your poker statistics and avoid the sharks. SharkScope is the most complete database of poker tournament results available and covers virtually all online poker sites.

What am I missing?

Comment

There could be a few lads waiting for him outside at his local Boylesports at the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Street View Post
                        There could be a few lads waiting for him outside at his local Boylesports at the weekend.
                        they going to be buying john a few drinks or what

Comment

Well i wouldnt bother going into a boyle with more than 200 euro max bet they allow tighta rsed bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                            Well i wouldnt bother going into a boyle with more than 200 euro max bet they allow tighta rsed bastards.
                            Promo video shows him placing a €10,000 bet.
                            Last edited by Seventh Street; 03-04-13, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by CheckRaise View Post
                              $400,000 gone in a few days....

Total life earnings: $1,109,571. Latest cash: $898 on 01-Oct-2023. Click here to see the details of John O'Shea's 59 cashes.

Track your poker statistics and avoid the sharks. SharkScope is the most complete database of poker tournament results available and covers virtually all online poker sites.

What am I missing?
                              Sports betting
                              Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                500 guaranteed or so i'm told
                                Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Has there been any final clarification on whether this will be shown online?
                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler View Post
                                    The documentary won't be available to watch online but it will be repeated on Setanta over the next few weeks. I'll post up any further details when we know more.
                                    Originally posted by Jayminator View Post
                                    This is not a programme I will be encouraging the missus to watch. This will be best recorded and watched in the wee hours of the morning.

Just a question, will this be on the tinternet?
                                    Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                    Has there been any final clarification on whether this will be shown online?
                                    Off to specsavers guys

Comment

Originally posted by NicoSanty View Post
                                      Off to specsavers guys
                                      Oh Jesus Nico that's the joke... Never the brightest in Wexford were they??

Comment

Promo video shows him placing a €10,000 bet.
                                        I LOL'ed when I seen that in the promo clip. Cheap publicity.

Comment

Hopefully one of you top IT guys will put a video of the show on this thread

Comment

Indeed, I don't even own a tv!

Comment

last nights interview on news talk.

Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Originally posted by amberleaf View Post
                                                last nights interview on news talk.

http://www.newstalk.ie/The-Gambler:-...n-Off-the-Ball
                                                listening there now quite good, myself and John hate each other , just kidding lets just say we wouldnt be the best of buddies but have to say didnt expect the honesty of him in this interview. really looking forward to the show tomorrow night!

Will get the popcorn in
                                                Her sky-ness
                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                  listening there now quite good, myself and John hate each other , just kidding lets just say we wouldnt be the best of buddies but have to say didnt expect the honesty of him in this interview. really looking forward to the show tomorrow night!

Will get the popcorn in
                                                  Not really sure Why u didn't "expect the honesty"anyone who has checked out his blog or talked to him over the last couple of years will tell u that honesty is not really a problem with John at all far from it I would say.

Comment

Does the fact that it's Freeview mean it can be seen on Sky without any upgrade (channel 423)?

Edit: reliably informed this is the case
                                                    Last edited by doke; 05-04-13, 16:31.
                                                    My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

Originally posted by doke View Post
                                                      Does the fact that it's Freeview mean it can be seen on Sky without any upgrade (channel 423)?
                                                      Yep

Comment

Im down the country with the only TV in the country that does not have Setanta , 1st person to PM me a working stream gets $10 in there stars/tilt account, really want to watch it
                                                        They will be like WTF how does he always have the top of his range, and they will be saying that when you show up with like nine's - Jimmy Fricke
                                                        Nine's are the top of my range - Shaun Deeb

Comment

Yeah annoying, isn't it. Still not getting a tv.

Comment

VEry good doc so far, very impressed with the quality of filmmaking and John is coming across very well.

I hope someone is capturing it.

Comment

The wife raised an interesting point; 'what does he get out of this?'
                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Fkkkkkkkkkk forgot all about this
                                                                Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

really enjoying it so far. Only colm would cop the fucking home made coleslaw on the table lol
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Anybody on eircom can watch it here. I don't know if it works on any other broadband package.

'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

ffffffff missed it any no if theres a repeat

Comment

Very good watch, unreal loss there on the Champions League. If you didn't play poker, it comes across as looking like a pretty sick game!

Comment

Very good stuff. WP all involved. Pity ye couldn't film inside the Rio.

Comment

Great documentary but John really needs to work on his golf swing.
                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

#39
                                                                              Keane stole the show in fairness

Comment

#40
                                                                                Had this on in the club tonight. Great watch
                                                                                €10,000 GTD New Monthly Tournament
                                                                                Village Green Card Club, Last Thursday of the Month, €270 Freezeout
                                                                                €1,000,000 GTD - Irish Open
                                                                                CityWest Hotel, 6th-13th April

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Very good watch

Comment

#42
                                                                                    uploaded yet?

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                      uploaded yet?
                                                                                      Please don't post any links to this documentary on here, thanks. I'd love to watch it myself, but please appreciate the fact that the makers might pop their head in this thread. Thank you.
                                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                        Please don't post any links to this documentary on here, thanks. I'd love to watch it myself, but please appreciate the fact that the makers might pop their head in this thread. Thank you.
                                                                                        Booo!

Guess we'll have to rely on our aunty's children to come up with the goods.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                          Booo!

Guess we'll have to rely on our aunty's children to come up with the goods.
                                                                                          ye could always come to my house, I have it recorded . being vino
                                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Good viewing. I had a chuckle when after the Bayern goal I say to the wife he won't be so happy in a bit, to which she replys why do you know the result.
                                                                                            48

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Whens it next repeated?

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Originally posted by tglynn View Post
                                                                                                Whens it next repeated?
                                                                                                Nickleodeon next monday morning at 9.30 am
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

#49

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Are you always this funny?

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                                                      Are you always this funny?
                                                                                                      Usually yeah
                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Must say it was very enjoyable to watch. John wearing his heart on his sleeve as usual.

I have no doubt that the people who dont play poker or sportbet in some kinda serious way will think he has a problem!! I had it on in the club and the players here really enjoyed it. WP all involved in it.

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Interesting to watch but I thought they didn't probe any obvious areas, like did his mothers attitude affect him or about bankroll management.

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Really enjoyed it lastnight, one thing for sure if i lost 100k on a sports bet my mother would defo not be finding out about it, but fair play to him it was warts and all.Have to agree with Connie any none poker/gambler will definetly think he has a problem.I hope everything works out for him whatever he decides to do.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                                                                                Interesting to watch but I thought they didn't probe any obvious areas, like did his mothers attitude affect him or about bankroll management.
                                                                                                                Wat?

You did watch the kitchen home made coleslaw scene didn't you. Obv its a bit staged for the cameras, people have planned what they are going to say and not say and John is controlling the tone of the whole thing but I thought you got a good sense of how everyone felt without it ever being in any danger of slipping into Jeremy Kyle territory.
                                                                                                                And he talks loads about bankroll management during the film

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by kenttheking View Post
                                                                                                                  ffffffff missed it any no if theres a repeat
                                                                                                                  +1

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Fantastically put together show. Very impressed with the way it was made, sure it will attract interest from elsewhere, probably why it hasn't cropped up online yet. You know it must be alright when John comes across very likeable!

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Dont have setanta, have a slightly dubious form of satellite tv which doesn't have the channel so if anyone does get a link, I'd appreciate a pm

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        What's the name of the ambient music they were using in the background during it? Kinda sounds like Brian Eno. Been looking for the name of that piece for ages but haven't came across it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X