Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPB Hero Our Conor Memorial Thread - (Horses Betting Obv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great days racing ahead.
    redhotfillypeppers looks a great bet for the mares
    Should be tasty throughout the day with the slight edge to elliots side in the early races.
    Hoping Jack Kennedy has a good day
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

@patmustard do u want 2 tickets for today?
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
        @patmustard do u want 2 tickets for today?
        Sorted for today thanks SatNav
        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
          Ok let’s let it lie.
          I will say though that Ruby Walsh has nothing but contempt for the general public and that shines through constantly.
          Katie was on the radio recently, hilariously the program was surreptitiously sponsored by PP, and in reply to a question about how she prioritises the various stakeholders when she is riding in a race she was extremely contemptuous of punters describing them as the bottom of the barrel and saying that she had no regard for them or their concerns.
          In the context of the already controversial staging of the radio show if she was a pro I would have liked to see her brought in front of the stewards and reminded of her responsibilities.

I’d have asked him for his explanation publically. Ruby (of all people) was the interviewer and at the end of the interview just says “and what about yesterday” to which Townend replies something like “it’s in the past” and Ruby cheers and backslaps him. Dreadful in my opinion but Racing was always going to close ranks.
          Yeah, I saw it last night and again while I don't agree with you at all about the possibility of there being anything bent about it, that interview left as bad a taste in my mouth as the stewards report. I suppose that was not the time or place for awkward questions, I would hope and expect that there is a fairer and more open interview on RTE before the week is out
          Last edited by Strewelpeter; 26-04-18, 11:45.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yes I heard Katie saying that, it was on Tubridy.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              Katie was on the radio recently, hilariously the program was surreptitiously sponsored by PP, and in reply to a question about how she prioritises the various stakeholders when she is riding in a race she was extremely contemptuous of punters describing them as the bottom of the barrel and saying that she had no regard for them or their concerns.
              In the context of the already controversial staging of the radio show if she was a pro I would have liked to see her brought in front of the stewards and reminded of her responsibilities.
              Now you now infinitely more about horse racing than I, but surely this is the right attitude to have?
              The concept of the owners/team holding the horse back is not something really publicly acknowledged, why would she break kayfabe like that?
              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

It was the way she answered it Deadparrot.
                Tubridy described seeing jockeys so elated passing the post and asked her what it was like to ride a winner? Was it for herself, her family, the owner, the trainer, the punters who backed her, her pride etc? She just snapped back that it certainly wasn’t for the punters, that they were the bottom of the barrel as far as she was concerned.

Comment

ah right, didn't hear it myself.
                  sounds like a softball question that she fucked up so

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                    surely this is the right attitude to have?
                    Well it is to a point, there are responsibilities that come with the job. What I object to was her tone of utter contempt for the people like you and I without whom racing would not be able to sustain her business.
                    I think what she might have been trying to get at was articulated very much better by Davy Russell in his recent Off the Ball interview regarding the culture of betting around racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                      She's 100% right
                      Her metaphors are not.

Comment

Documentary photographer Martin Amis has spent 13 years visiting racecourses to capture the idiosyncratic tribe of horse-racing enthusiasts, united only by their hope of finding the next winner

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Great days racing ahead.
                          redhotfillypeppers looks a great bet for the mares
                          Should be tasty throughout the day with the slight edge to elliots side in the early races.
                          Hoping Jack Kennedy has a good day
                          1 up

Comment

RTE commentator just loves saying dyke

Comment

What a fuckin horse [emoji16][emoji16]

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                That was some ride!!!

Comment

Simply stunning

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
                                  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                    16/1 at start of week

Comment

@GAB see Atlas runs in Chelmsford. Any chance?

Comment

Nina in the last.
                                        Going out on a winner?

Comment

Enjoying the way WPM tortures Elliott at this time.

He clearly wants it so much too.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            Enjoying the way WPM tortures Elliott at this time.

He clearly wants it so much too.
                                            Its an extraordinary domination, he has 16 of the 28 declared in the 100K handicap tomorrow, a good few of them ran earlier in the week. It seems the owners are have no say in race planning despite there obviously being far better opportunities for most of them in the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                              Its an extraordinary domination, he has 16 of the 28 declared in the 100K handicap tomorrow, a good few of them ran earlier in the week. It seems the owners are have no say in race planning despite there obviously being far better opportunities for most of them in the calendar.
                                              The owners have long been an afterthought for Willie, yet he still has them queuing up. That's what geniuses can do I guess.

He has won more prize money in the past four days than any Irish trainer apart from Elliot has won in the entire season...

Comment

Katie Walsh has retired. Genuinely think she was one of the games outstanding jocks. Achieved so much, you couldn't tell her apart from any of her male counterparts. She's been riding less and less in recent years as she has been concentrating on her own breeze up gig but every day she went to post she was pure class. Just think she was pure brilliant.
                                                Does she take after the ma or the da?

Comment

Does she take after the ma or the da?
                                                  He's pure in love with her. Thread carefully.

Comment

Think the reason I admire her so much is that she has all the hateful qualities that run in the family, which are of course in their own way very admirable, but she is also dead sound. You could rock up and chat her for 10 minutes on any topic and she would pass herself off as no more than a girl on the street.
                                                    A familiar enough trait in most pikies I’d have thought.

Comment

To be fair you would know

Comment

Why are people frightened to call you out for the nob that you are? What are you? Funnily enough I enjoy your posts but I need to know why you get to be a prick and not called out on it?

Tell me your story man who prob talks like this online and never in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                          Why are people frightened to call you out for the nob that you are? What are you? Funnily enough I enjoy your posts but I need to know why you get to be a prick and not called out on it?

Tell me your story man who prob talks like this online and never in real life.
                                                          Wrote a long reply to you there but it got lost in cyberspace.
                                                          Cliff notes were:
                                                          I’ve been called out for the last 4 pages of this thread.
                                                          That whole Ealsh family are despicable & Papa Walsh was almost outted 2 years ago.
                                                          I still don’t believe a word of the Townend explanation.

Comment

Wrote a long reply to you there but it got lost in cyberspace.
                                                            Cliff notes were:
                                                            I’ve been called out for the last 4 pages of this thread.
                                                            That whole Ealsh family are despicable & Papa Walsh was almost outted 2 years ago.
                                                            I still don’t believe a word of the Townend explanation.
                                                            It's not just the last 4 pages that you've been a nob. You're a nob plenty of other times. Im not on about the horseracing crap that yous all swear yous win at but don't.

I'd be inclined to believe the stuff you've said in here recently but what I'm asking is why are you such a prick?

Comment

Originally posted by CHDog View Post
                                                              It's not just the last 4 pages that you've been a nob. You're a nob plenty of other times. Im not on about the horseracing crap that yous all swear yous win at but don't.

I'd be inclined to believe the stuff you've said in here recently but what I'm asking is why are you such a prick?
                                                              Yeah fair enough. To be fair though I’m the same in real life. I’m pretty skeptical and don’t really give two fcuks. Don’t take anything I say too much to heart thou & fair play for calling me on it.

Comment

Do most jockeys have a disdain for punters ? Without mugs punters betting on horses the industry would surely collapse. Townend being allowed ride the next day was s joke. If you crashed a car in such circumstances no doubt you would have an mri to see if you have any brain problems from imaginary voices telling you what to do. The digital age of betting means strange patterns turn up quickly. I bizarrely used to have faith in bigger race meets thinking at least they are all trying to win. People with horse knowledge defending the man especially after the other faugheen and York hill incidents mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                  Do most jockeys have a disdain for punters ? Without mugs punters betting on horses the industry would surely collapse. Townend being allowed ride the next day was s joke. If you crashed a car in such circumstances no doubt you would have an mri to see if you have any brain problems from imaginary voices telling you what to do. The digital age of betting means strange patterns turn up quickly. I bizarrely used to have faith in bigger race meets thinking at least they are all trying to win. People with horse knowledge defending the man especially after the other faugheen and York hill incidents mind boggling.
                                                                  My father who knows a bit about horses was fairly annoyed after Faugheens win this week, 16/1 at start of week, nothing but negative word from stable, backed into 11/2 & pissed up

Now in this case it is probably just, once in a lifetime horse against tired field and backed due to popularity, but it is all starting to stink a bit too much

Handicapping system needs a good kick for a start

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                    My father who knows a bit about horses was fairly annoyed after Faugheens win this week, 16/1 at start of week, nothing but negative word from stable, backed into 11/2 & pissed up

Now in this case it is probably just, once in a lifetime horse against tired field and backed due to popularity, but it is all starting to stink a bit too much

Handicapping system needs a good kick for a start
                                                                    Well Faugheen was a great horse he has had his problems and would have been many fans favourite.Un de Sceaux was backed in as well and ran a great race. Don’t think that was rigged.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      Well Faugheen was a great horse he has had his problems and would have been many fans favourite.Un de Sceaux was backed in as well and ran a great race. Don’t think that was rigged.
                                                                      Aaahh ya, as I said, probably just because its faugheen

Go on?
                                                                      Why?

But ya, your right its perfect, top weights going off at big prices, bottom weights going off as FAV, not open to gerrymandering at all and in no way would put off prospective new customers for racing

Comment

Cos I am curious, if anything I think the Handicap System is one of the better functioning aspects of the sport. If I had a gripe it would be with jumps and particularly median inflation and the rush to crown the latest champion as the best ever, etc. I'd also feel in some instances that horses are not getting dropped quick enough.

I think what you are describing is an issue with stewarding and enforcement of rules, not with handicapping.
                                                                        Fair enough but to people not in the industry, setting of handicaps and marshaling them, while separate, will be seen as all part of the same system
                                                                        Last edited by Guest; 28-04-18, 12:37.

Comment

The concept of the handicapping system is sound and is pretty much universally accepted.
                                                                          The setting and adjusting of handicap marks will always be under scrutiny, no matter how good it is. I would agree with GAB that horses tend not to be dropped quick enough, I can see the perils of this though.
                                                                          The marshaling of the system is another thing altogether, certainly in this country. The authorities simply do not have the required powers to keep it in check, the “Foxrock” incident of a couple of years ago proves that. That was a landmark case which unfortunately went against the authorities and the racing public in general.

Comment

Dont like this bowing out on a winner business. You say whats your last day and have everyone funking for you old school and have what may. But shur, look it.

Comment

Retiring unannounced then and there is far more preferable to doing what AP did and going on a three month glory parade around UK and Irish racecourses.

Comment

Not suggesting a long goodbye AP style(fwiw thought it was apt for AP) just during the week say Saturday is the day. Only saying it in jest really but its a bit self-aggrandising going out on a winner imo but shur 'look' we will make a exception for the women.

Comment

I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of marshaling handicap marks, It's an almost impossible and thankless task, especially with stables getting increasingly desperate to find any means of surviving. If they suspect shenanigans and don't drop a horses mark much they get it from the trainers/owners. If they drop a horses mark way below it's last winning mark after some questionably non tying efforts and then the horse steps up a furlong or two or puts on a piece of headgear and wins by half the track they get it from the public. it's lose/lose.
                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Jasus the body language of the connections of the 7.15 Doncaster cheering the horse home, bloody awkward looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                      I wouldn't want to be the one in charge of marshaling handicap marks, It's an almost impossible and thankless task, especially with stables getting increasingly desperate to find any means of surviving. If they suspect shenanigans and don't drop a horses mark much they get it from the trainers/owners. If they drop a horses mark way below it's last winning mark after some questionably non tying efforts and then the horse steps up a furlong or two or puts on a piece of headgear and wins by half the track they get it from the public. it's lose/lose.
                                                                                      Here’s what happens when they try to marshal it, one of the craziest cases you will ever come across but it shows everything that is wrong with Irish Racing:

If this happened in the UK I have no doubt that the trainer would be banned for 10 years minimum and possibility facing criminal proceedings on animal cruelty.

Comment

Murillo at 12.0 to finish in the places is my guineas play today.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Naas has now been upgraded as my favourite racecourse. And that new circle bar is so well designed. All facilities in general done up and everything is right amongst eachother. The track itself is top notch. Didnt even see one copper.

Comment

Another Cylone meant to have a decent chance in the bumper at Ros. 12/1
                                                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Lord Erskine 600 Tipp tomorrow. 1st reserve so has to get in but if does the 9/4 with sky bet is very good.

Comment

Thomas Mcdonagh in the last in Tipp meant to have each way chance.

Comment

Han Solo Berger Lingfield 3.55 info from the yard here to win, if not will win next time out. Still 12s on Bet365

Comment

wol 5.00 lewinsky 25/1 e/w

Comment

Best bet of the day 'Benefit North' 4-Places 10/11 pp.
                                                                                                      Last edited by rounders123; 18-05-18, 16:04. Reason: Doesnt mean E/W is 4 places. its 4 places fixed market

Comment

Instant Smile in 5.05 limerick
                                                                                                        Told to back E/W. 12/1 at the moment

Comment

Wishing star first in Naas @10/1

Comment

Brother Bear meant to have a right chance in the 2nd Naas. Lost the race before it was run the last day but still was close enough. Was told if relaxes should go close today.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                              Brother Bear meant to have a right chance in the 2nd Naas. Lost the race before it was run the last day but still was close enough. Was told if relaxes should go close today.
                                                                                                              Well done pat
                                                                                                              On the money

Comment

Errissimus Maximus 405 Redcar has come up on the tracker. 3rd to Major Jumbo who ran a cracker a neck and a neck 3rd in York in a better class race. 2nd went out and won after in Newmarket. 4th has won a race after as well. The form is very strong. I know it doesn't always work out but ill have a little bit of the 9/2 with b365.

Comment

Probably foolish to oppose anything O'Brien today but they're meant to like the Bolger filly in the 16:45. Bit of 5's on the exchanges for it.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Quite like the look of Cristal Icon in the 6.30 Ballinrobe. Pissed in over hurdles in Cork 2 starts ago and runner-up has won since. They tried her out over in Aintree in the G1 and she ran with loads of credit finishing ahead of some fancied types that day. First time up in a hcap today off 125 and getting an 8lb Juveniles allowance, She's generally available at 9s, even a spot of 10s about which looks very fair.

Dawn Shadow the danger as she's been running well in hotter races than this too.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by NoRiverRequired; 28-05-18, 10:52.

Comment

A distant last. Lovely.

Comment

Backed the Oaks winner, woop woop. Done deal about 3f out!

On a related note, what are people's thoughts on the jockeyship of Joseph vs Donncha?

Comment

Backed the Oaks winner, woop woop. Done deal about 3f out!

On a related note, what are people's thoughts on the jockeyship of Joseph vs Donncha?
                                                                                                                          Think young donncha is a bit more stylish but I think Ana is the best of them all

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X