Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wish some people would calm down a little about it. We are a population of 4.9m people. Only 100 official cases which is 0.002% of population so what if the undetected cases are 10 times that, that is only 0.02%... yes the measures put in to slow it are appropriate, but think the news are over egging it to a massive extent.
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
      I really wish some people would calm down a little about it. We are a population of 4.9m people. Only 100 official cases which is 0.002% of population so what if the undetected cases are 10 times that, that is only 0.02%... yes the measures put in to slow it are appropriate, but think the news are over egging it to a massive extent.
      Denmark who are similar in size had 37 last Sunday, and yesterday they had 800.

Comment

I think it's the squeeze it would put on our already struggling health system, and the associated fall out that will come from it when it hits a percentage you'd care about, is what most of the worry is based around. It's an unknown to an extent, with Italy as a strong example. The panic isn't unfounded
        airport, lol

Comment

WHO situation reports make for sobering enough readings. Can track the day-to-day changes
          The Weekly Epidemiological Update provides an overview of the global, regional and country-level COVID-19 cases and deaths, highlighting key data and trends; as well as other pertinent epidemiological information concerning the COVID-19 pandemic.

The John Hopkins Dashboard is excellent too;

Comment

A potential 75000 deaths. Do you reckon you'll avoid being impacted by that?

Anxiety around this is essential. Calming down will fuck us.
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In all likelihood not admitting to existing medical conditions will lead to people getting the wrong treatment. This is dangerous in the most probable scenarios. Doctors usually start any interaction with a patient with a shit load of questions for a reason. Lying to them would be pretty dumb.
              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Panic isn’t helpful but neither is sticking your head in the sand. This post will not age well.

Even if you don’t have any family or friends who are directly impacted and you hang on to your job etc., the coming recession will impact you and we will still be talking about this in ten years time much like the financial crisis only worse in a lot of practical and real life ways.

You almost cannot over egg this unfortunately. However talking about the likely things that will happen over the next ten weeks will probably cause unhelpful panic. Hopefully Ireland swerves the worst of this but we are a boat bobbing on stormy seas with the worst yet to come and that much should be clear to all.
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

The news isn't overegging anything, you don't understand how fast these things spread.

Comment

The one thing you don't hear much chatter about is the search for a vaccine.
                    What are the boffins up to?
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                      Hard not to get tangled up with the numbers and lose sight of message.

Intervene and do it early.
                      My point was isolated to the specific points I mentioned.
                      Don’t disagree about early intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Are you mad?

You've a 95%+ chance of surviving if you get the ventilator vs a 5% mortality chance. You've close to a 100% chance of mortality if you get black tagged. Of course you take the 95% chance. Why would you care if someone else has a 98% vs 2% survival vs mortality if they get your ventilator? Your purpose is to survive not to sit there and painfully die due to some line that has been drawn in the sand for the overall health of the population. It's just you it matters for, we sort ourselves out always as we're as entitled to our 95% as anyone else is to their chances.
                        It you really wanted to game the system, to improve your chances, you would be running around trying to catch it early while the health service can cope.

Comment

How do you know you can only get it once?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                              Because that is the case with most viruses. Reported second infection are usually the first one hanging around.

Had a big fight with the daughter (14) this morning because she had plans to meet up with friends in town, and I wouldn't let her go. She finally agreed it was the right decision faced with the reasoning. Left me wondering if the friends parents are either thick or ultra selfish.

Comment

To be clear, I was talking about people like those that was in my local shop that was trying to buy 10 litres of milk, etc. There is no eggs left in the shop and some people were acting like they were going to get the virus in the next day or two.

It is serious, but news are over sensationalizing it, creating panic which is not helpful. Best way to deal with it is to keep calm and use some common sense and risks will go down.
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                  Because that is the case with most viruses.
                                  The common cold says hello.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                    A potential 75000 deaths. Do you reckon you'll avoid being impacted by that?

Anxiety around this is essential. Calming down will fuck us.
                                    I said SOME people need to calm down a bit. There is a difference between anxiety and hysterics you know.

Comment

I said SOME people need to calm down a bit. There is a difference between anxiety and hysterics you know.
                                      Yeah I read your clarification and I agree with you.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                        This is the key assumption in the U.K. strategy. If immunity only lasts a short period of time and / or the virus mutates to a more severe variant (which it is more likely to do it left to run through a population unchecked) then their strategy is going to be extremely costly, in every way.
                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

PSV mentioned it last night but this UK professor gave a fairly grim appraisal of the situation when up against zuutroy's tech bro. The interview starts about 10 minutes in.

[ytb]C98FmoZVbjs[/ytb]

Is herd immunity our only real solution absent a vaccine?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                            Expect a big spike in confirmed cases over the next few days. They've updated the testing criteria to anyone with symptoms.
                                            my gp been giving me the run around.
                                            How many symptoms?
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

18 cases in Malta so far but none have been spread locally, hasn't been mentioned but think there might be some cautious optimism that the humidity/warmer climate is helping.

Majority of people are in panic mode, demanding a complete 3 week lockdown though, streets and restaurants are empty.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                  This is the key assumption in the U.K. strategy. If immunity only lasts a short period of time and / or the virus mutates to a more severe variant (which it is more likely to do it left to run through a population unchecked) then their strategy is going to be extremely costly, in every way.
                                                  That sounds far more sinister than the evidence to date suggests.

Firstly, early indications of the mutations of Covid-19 suggest that it is mutating 2-4 times slower than the flu averaging about 1-2 mutations per month.

Additionally on top of that, most genomic changes that occur do not change the behaviour of a virus.
                                                  Theres absolutely no indication as of yet that mutations will lead to more severe variants.

One paper that made claims of a more aggressive variant has been called out by scientists with calls for it to be redacted.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                    If you made it Christmas Day everywhere in the world for 2 weeks we'd be sorted.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                    The common cold says hello.
                                                    Isn't the common cold actually a couple of hundred different variants of a few different types of viruses. I remember reading that there are less than one hundred that are in common circulation and that you never get the same cold twice.
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I spoke to my GP yesterday in line with the updated advice yesterday. Have had a cough on and off for last 6-8 weeks, kind of coming and going and not severe at all. Had a sore throat last week which cleared up within a few days.Based on that GP recommended staying in house for 14. I work from home and had intended staying put for two weeks anyyway as had been in Cheltenham for two days (commence stoning) which admittedly in hindsight was a pretty poor decision. GP said that even when community testing starts I'd be way down on list due to lack of fever, age and good health.Cough really is infrequent and mild but they're treating anyone with any symptom very cautiously.

Comment

There is an egg shortage incoming as a result of bird flu doing the rounds. Our family supermarket supplier advised us to put in a good chunky order this week, not enough to build a fort out of egg boxes but maybe a fortnight's buffer.
                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

To be clear, I was talking about people like those that was in my local shop that was trying to buy 10 litres of milk, etc. There is no eggs left in the shop and some people were acting like they were going to get the virus in the next day or two.

It is serious, but news are over sensationalizing it, creating panic which is not helpful. Best way to deal with it is to keep calm and use some common sense and risks will go down.
                                                          What risks will go down?

Comment

Shocking that everyones knowledge base on this extends to about the last semi convincing article they read within the past few days and yet you'd swear the world was full of infectious disease experts. Noise levels off the charts.
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                              There is an egg shortage incoming as a result of bird flu doing the rounds. Our family supermarket supplier advised us to put in a good chunky order this week, not enough to build a fort out of egg boxes but maybe a fortnight's buffer.
                                                              This seems like an eggspert opinion. Always possible you are just a mad yoke.

Comment

Anyone started on homeschooling yet?

Child #3 is highly enthusiastically doing a project on koalas. Child #2 has picked WW2 for his dissertation, research seems to be watching all documentaries on same. Unsure as to wisdom of allowing him watch so much death and destruction.

Child #1, being a teenager, has retreated to her room away from the evident stupidities of both older and younger relations.

Comment

the problem is unless it's hammered home, people just wont take the message.
                                                                  The amount of "if I get it, I get it"/"whats for you wont pass you by" type comments I've heard in the last few days is bigger than I could have imagined.
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I'd imagine our treatment knowledge will be vastly better in a few months.
                                                                    That's another part of what I don't get about that those fucktards across the water. They rather dose the whole population now rather than face a second wave. A second wave that we have six months to prepare for?

I've seen people do stupid plays trying to look like a genius plenty of times but only with poker chips, not millions of lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Everything closed except essential services, everyone stays at home, largely only has contact with close family.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                        Shocking that everyones knowledge base on this extends to about the last semi convincing article they read within the past few days and yet you'd swear the world was full of infectious disease experts. Noise levels off the charts.
                                                                        In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                          I have been watching with interest over the last couple of days both within myself and in others how old patterns of defence and reactions to stress are manifesting in response to what's happening.

So for myself I have noticed, as I mentioned, contempt at stupidity of people and an urge to insult. Others I have seen their worry reactions explode, paranoia, anger, selfishness, etc.

I think an important aspect of being prepared and minding ourselves is being aware of these old patterns within ourselves and pulling back from the most extreme excesses of them when we notice the urge or action.

For you, it's a return to puns

Comment

Isn't it the case that viruses normally mutate to be less severe on their hosts as those viruses that are less deadly are more likely to propagate?
                                                                            Not necessarily, if it’s spreading widely and easily.
                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Child #3 is highly enthusiastically doing a project on koalas. Child #2 has picked WW2 for his dissertation, research seems to be watching all documentaries on same. Unsure as to wisdom of allowing him watch so much death and destruction.

Child #1, being a teenager, has retreated to her room away from the evident stupidities of both older and younger relations.
                                                                              My kids were eerily compliant on Friday.

Comment

I dunno. I stocked up on food weeks ago. Last thing I want to be doing in the midst of this is milling around the general public.

And there's a chance shops close when all their staff have to self quarantine. Buying 858585 toilet rolls is dumb, but a few weeks of food just seems like common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                  I dunno. I stocked up on food weeks ago. Last thing I want to be doing in the midst of this is milling around the general public.

And there's a chance shops close when all their staff have to self quarantine. Buying 858585 toilet rolls is dumb, but a few weeks of food just seems like common sense.
                                                                                  I agree it makes sense as others rush but I think there is little indication yet that supply chains are being impacted.

I was chatting to a guy yesterday who owns half a dozen Spar/Londis/Centra type stores and he was assured earlier in the day from suppliers that there is no need to panic buy. Plenty of loo roll among other things.

I've stocked up a tad in response but nothing much. I'll add more next week but anything closing in on a medium to long-term supply is not required.

Comment

Enjoying the Twitter outrage from air travel passengers who can't grasp that customer service levels from companies that are crumbling under the weight of a once in a century event, and may not exist in a week, might not be up to standard.

Comment

On the topic of mutations and genomics, a guy on boards is sharing some interesting bits, this twitter page is worth a follow:

Comment

Question for the French and the Francophiles

If you were in the South of France and building an end of the world larder, which of these tinned French foods I see mentioned here would you purchase?

Merci

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                          Everything closed except essential services, everyone stays at home, largely only has contact with close family.
                                                                                          And what happens on week 3?
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                            I agree it makes sense as others rush but I think there is little indication yet that supply chains are being impacted.

I was chatting to a guy yesterday who owns half a dozen Spar/Londis/Centra type stores and he was assured earlier in the day from suppliers that there is no need to panic buy. Plenty of loo roll among other things.

I've stocked up a tad in response but nothing much. I'll add more next week but anything closing in on a medium to long-term supply is not required.
                                                                                            It's a very very cheap put option.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                It's a very very cheap put option.
                                                                                                It can't be that cheap with the way you, RD3 and Lao like to dine

Comment

Had one of the worst arguments with my father yesterday over asking him to wash his hands, he's elderly with underlying health conditions the person most susceptible to the virus. He's watched every tv news broadcast and can relay all the stats heard over the course of the day but for some reason seems oblivious to the idea of washing your hands constantly, when he comes back from the shops or when he has home help that come to visit who've been in other elderly peoples houses but yet doesn't do the most simplest thing he knows he should be doing.

He thinks he's being picked on, I'm doing the same to my fiancee and she's doing the same for me, making sure to wash our hands.
                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Also EPT Monte Carlo was cancelled last night and WSOP have cancelled a bunch of their regional stops but no mention yet about the Main Event etc.

Seems kinda mad that they haven't yet made a decision especially with Trump declaring a state of emergency yesterday.

On a different note what a clown Trump is "I don't take any responsibility" fucking disgrace.
                                                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I am not sure what to do. On Thursday morning I woke up (in Cheltenham) with a very bad chesty cough. That evening at home I had the chills/fever but slept reasonably well. Much the same yesterday but last night I spent it waking up every so often in a pool of sweat. Really really bad fever. Never had an experience like it with a cold before. Woke up with very sore throat and took 2 paracetamol. Felt a bit better since but still coughing and throat sore. No runny nose and no shortage of breath.

Should I just ride it out and stay indoors for the foreseeable? Already cancelled golf followed by family dinner on paddy's day.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        And what happens on week 3?
                                                                                                        Figure out what China did and do that! We will know where we're up against by then as diagnoses will have caught up with actual numbers. Depending on the state of readiness of the health system, capacity for mass screening, better understanding of whether it's going to be less prevalent when the weather warms up, I suppose you'd implement a cautious return to normality appropriate to the data you've gathered.

Comment

...

Comment

Cassoulet is our go-to end-of-the-world dish. The perfect blend of sausages and beans.

Choucroute would be among the French fav tinned goods, with its sauerkraut base that is meant to be health-giving. I find it 'odd'.

Our 4yo has opted to go all-in on BabyBels, but maybe thats an option for the more discerning diner.
                                                                                                            Add a few tins of confit de canard as well and sauté some potatoes in the duck fat

Comment

All Mia's teachers sent homework to her ipad. Her and her three friends face timed each other for English homework and did a section each and they all sent theirs, to each other then

It's only revision mother chill
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                                I am not sure what to do. On Thursday morning I woke up (in Cheltenham) with a very bad chesty cough. That evening at home I had the chills/fever but slept reasonably well. Much the same yesterday but last night I spent it waking up every so often in a pool of sweat. Really really bad fever. Never had an experience like it with a cold before. Woke up with very sore throat and took 2 paracetamol. Felt a bit better since but still coughing and throat sore. No runny nose and no shortage of breath.

Should I just ride it out and stay indoors for the foreseeable? Already cancelled golf followed by family dinner on paddy's day.
                                                                                                                I'd start by ringing your GP and asking them.

Comment

Do as the guidelines suggest.

Call your GP to seek their advice and self-isolate till you're told otherwise.

Get advice about COVID-19, including symptoms, testing, vaccination and what to do if you have COVID-19.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Was certain this was Solskjaer

Comment

Don't think this is a symptom of Covid19, so not having it isn't too much of a help here!

FWIW, sounds like you're ticking a few of the boxes.

The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*
                                                                                                                          • Fever
                                                                                                                          • Cough
                                                                                                                          • Shortness of breath

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X