Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 24-07-19, 11:53   #1
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Music King: Semi Final 1

Two genres and one general pick for this round.

Player 1

Genre Pick - Metal

I've gone for a modern doom metal classic, which might be more accessible to many music fans than many other metal sub-genres. Was very close to pulling the trigger on another Ghost track, Year Zero (if you like this, check it out!), but went for Cirice instead as for those who enjoy the videos along with the music, this one is pretty damn cool IMHO. Turn it up, louder is better with this:

Genre - Foreign Language

Here's a track from the great Thievery Corporation (who I actually discovered via a much earlier Music King I believe! Or at least via a video someone posted on IPB years ago...), with the French lyrics provided by the wonderful LouLou Ghelichkhani. Some very chilled out bossa nova vibes coming your way:

General

Another fairly chill one from Other Lives, this is For 12. Got into them via a fairly standard route for me in recent years; they were appearing at a festival I was going to, had never heard of them so decided to check them out in advance, was impressed! Also a pretty interesting video, if you want to skip straight to the music start from 0:39:

Player 2

Genre Pick - Metal

For me, before there was anything else, there was metal. AC/DC. Def Leppard and Iron Maiden were my gateway into this distorted, driving bastardisation of rock n’ roll before moving onto the faster more complex thrash metal sound that boomed in the mid-80s and eventually the dark theatre of black and doom metal into the 90s and 00s. Where to start? Well the obvious classics would be safe enough options I suppose but I wanted to pick a band that I’m listening to currently to show that while evolution may not necessarily metal’s strongest trait it ability to drive teenage kicks is still as strong as ever even as I move towards old age. Electric Wizard are leading proponents of the modern doom metal sound. Sure its blueprint is Black Sabbath but they really bring a heavy psychedelic edge and the right level of belief-suspension theatre that is crucial to the best metal (people often mistake metal as a dumb genre but I couldn’t disagree more, it’s mostly just a lot of tongue in cheek fun, just live Beavis and Butthead!) . This video is NSFW and is pure sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll like all good metal should be.

Genre - Foreign Language

Germany has never been known as a hotbed for exciting, hummable popular music but when looking for a foreign language song I knew I wanted something which had crossed over into western consciousness. Serge Gainsbourg was an obvious choice, Jacque Brel maybe but I settled on Nena’s enduring new wave classic 99 Luftballons. With a sound (and video) of its era, the taut bass, wiry synth, breathy melody, dramatic instrumental bridges and punchy snare rolls it is great on a dance floor, to sing along with in a car or simply get lost in a nostalgic reveire for a more innocent time when wars were largely cold and new technology was a microwave oven.

General

It’s not too often you’ll hear of a noise rock outfit covering an obscure hard techno track. I’d hazard a guess it even less likely for the track to be a thundering, trance-inducing, grin-inspiring work of genius. Dublin noiseniks Girl Band did all of that then when they got signed to Rough Trade Records got a budget for an equally demented (and also NSFW) video. Their career has been a bit stop start, being beset with mental health issues but they are back with a new album in September and a couple of nights in Vicar Street in November. Forget the studied, appropriated punk-lite lit stylings of Fontaines DC who snuck in in Girl Band’s forced absence to try and pinch their crown. These guys are so effortlessly the real deal it is sickening and joyous in equal measure.

Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 24-07-19, 16:15   #2
Strewelpeter

spotify playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0t...2rxA6mxuiWkQFG
Old 25-07-19, 13:38   #3
Strewelpeter

Both metal choices are LOLbad 2nd one had a tiny bit of edge about it.
Probably preferred the french song to Nena's pop classic but not by enough to compensate for the awfully dull Other lives track

Girl band was the only worthwhile track in the whole round and it was great

Player 2
Old 25-07-19, 20:39   #4
Solksjaer!

Player 2 for me . Listened to all songs via headphones . Then listened to the genre pick with the general pick over it. for .P2 Ear Fuck! but I liked it. SP a bit harsh .
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-19, 21:31   #5
Pat Mustard

Not adding to my spotify playlist here. If I had to listen to any of the tracks again it would be Player 1's 2nd track.
Old 26-07-19, 00:08   #6
Lazare
GFML

Was really really enjoying this, got as far as Nina but got interrupted with some drama outside on the street.

Will come back to it tomorrow night.

Cracking stuff so far lads.
Old 26-07-19, 11:09   #7
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Metal:

don't much like metal, but bad metal is terribad

P2 takes it on boobies

Foreign language:

here's a genre i'd love to get one day but never seems to fall for me!

P1-I've used thievery corp before. massive fan. was contemplating using one of their tracks in my semi. enjoyed this one and know it well-great album as well

P2: fun song-amazing how this one has endured. doubt i know anyone who doesn't know it though, so minus points for that

P2 loses it on unoriginality

General

P1 other lives track not setting the world on fire but decent nonetheless

P2 crazy track

P2 takes this one on craziness

overall P2
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 12:57   #8
Rufio

Listened to these on the way into work this morning, cheers SP for the spotify playlist, great idea.

Player 1 takes it on all three songs for me. I'm certainly not a metal head and reckon this metal song is probably metal-lite so maybe that's what did it for me.

I liked the french song and thought Nina's 99 red balloons was a bit obvious....

I absolutely hated that girl band song, I have no fucking clue why they are hiding bodies under your garage but please stop going on about it!

Player 1 for me
Old 26-07-19, 17:18   #9
dobby

Jaysus player 1 was there for the taking with a poor metal pick. Playing safe with Ghost since they're all the rage now after Slane. But player 2 somehow managed to pick 3 worse songs than player 1

Player 1
dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 18:18   #10
Hectorjelly

This was a tough round to get through - here are my problems:

1 Metal. These songs were awful, but then perhaps all metal is awful. It's the one genre where I can't think of a single song I like. I don't know which is better of these two, I had to fight myself to keep either on for more than 30seconds

2 99 Red Balloons. I can't understand why a novelty track is so ubiquitous. I'd much rather listen to the birdie song.

3 Bodies under my garage is not an abscure hard techno track. I can't think of a more popular and widely played hard techno track. The artist Blawan is one of the biggest techno names around, and this one of his most famous tracks. I kind of enjoyed this cover, but I don't think it's a better version.

4 - The rest of the songs kind of passed me by

So player 1 by default

Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-07-19 at 22:05.
Hectorjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 21:59   #11
Trippie

player 1

Disliked both the metal tracks. enjoyed their 2nd and 3rd choices a lot more
Trippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-19, 22:48   #12
balfejohn

Player 1
balfejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-19, 00:01   #13
Lazare
GFML

That was a stunning match imho.

Not a metal head, never was but I loved both of those, player 1's edging for me.

Both foreign language picks were great too, again player 1 nipping it though. I'm a sucker for French women singing.

Player 1's general pick was awesome, really loved the tempo of it.

That Girl Band track though!!!! Absolutely incredible. Blown away by it.

So much going onto the playlists from this.

Really really tough choice.

It's 2-1 to player 1, but that Girl Band track is so good I can't vote against it.

Player 2
Old 27-07-19, 00:05   #14
Lazare
GFML

I seem to be on my own here.

Best match in a long time lads. Are y'all on crack?
Old 27-07-19, 15:58   #15
Solksjaer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
I seem to be on my own here.

Best match in a long time lads. Are y'all on crack?
I'm with you brother . Christening both kids tomorrow though . Wanna piss off allah
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 28-07-19, 11:24   #16
Denny Crane
Undefeated

So far

P1:6
P2:4

Old 28-07-19, 11:45   #17
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Ghost really don't do anything for me, P2 choice definitely better.
Tough to give a vote to Luftballons.
But P2 still wins on general pick

Old 29-07-19, 11:02   #18
DeadParrot
Just Resting

Girl band really remind me of the residents (a band I posted in a MK many moons ago, where I was lambasted over it being too weird, always ahead of the game )
The same feeling of impending doom and dread. I like it, really like it.
I'd be terrified seeing them live though. I like my angst and insanity in my head. not full of day glo alcohol jumping all around me
p2
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 11:58   #19
Denny Crane
Undefeated

All even with two minutes to go

Old 29-07-19, 13:35   #20
Denny Crane
Undefeated

Going to leave this open until 5. Hopefully we get more voters.

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games