Warmup
    Shoulder Dislocates
    20kg Snatch Progression - 12 reps

Power Cleans
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    67.5kg x 3

The whole lot was better this week. Slow progression appears to be key here.

Kettlebell Snatch
    24kg x 60 in 3m50s *PB*

10 extra reps and virtually no time added (2 seconds). Potentially 100 reps in 4 weeks. But I doubt it.*

Comment

Hey dude any link for a strength program you'd suggest starting off on?

Have become pretty scrawny over the course of my weight loss bet and could do with putting on a bit of bulk over the next few weeks. I gym on my own which might be a bit of a problem unfortunately.

Comment

I'd go with starting strength. It's by no means a perfect program, but it's better than what 90% of novices are doing and its free. It's better than every single "gym induction" program i've ever seen handed out.
        There are a few versions and the best one to do depends on how oftern you want to deadlift/power clean/pull up. Personally, I think power cleans can wait until you have a base built up so I'd go with Practical Programming Novice Program.
        3x5 = 3 sets of 5 reps
        Monday
        3x5 Squat
        3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
        Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
        3x5 Squat
        3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
        1x5 Deadlift

Friday
        3x5 Squat
        3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
        Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
        Start week one with a 20kg bar in every lift. Add 10kg each week to squats and deadlifts, and 5kg to bench and 2.5kg to Press. For the first 2 weeks or so you could prob add the weight every session or two. Don't worry about starting with light weights, the start is about getting technique on track. Also, after 4 weeks, it'll be high enough, depending on the extra increases in the first two weeks. Also, after a while you'll slow and you should half the weekly increases.

The FAQ should cover the rest. If you've any questions feel free to fire away.

Edit: Almost forgot.
        Foam rolling is hugely beneficial I find. I roughly tend to roll the muscles i'm going to use plus the msucles I used last time at the start of every session.
        Doing some of the mobility stuff on this site is great too. Some of it can be advanced. Will go a long way to preventing injurys/issues before they happen.
        Last edited by Mellor; 21-03-12, 23:28.

Comment

Basic core workout there. Good place to start. Works all the important muscles of the body.

You can start with that for a little while and bring in some isolation work as needed in the coming weeks.

Comment

Exactly, even if there somebody was getting a fully personalised program, I'd expect them to go through the above first to expose issues, if any. Then bring in minor compound lifts like single arm/leg lifts, or variations on the main lifts, front squats, stiff leg deads, inclince bench, and/or isolation as needed.
            A lot of PTs I see have clients doing bizarre stuff for the sake of bizarre stuff.

I justed edited he above to include foam rolling and mobility work. foam rollign is great prehab/rehab and mobility is something every needs work on.
            It's something i need to do more of too. I'll make an effort to get a mobilityWOD or two in tonight as its a rest day.
            Last edited by Mellor; 21-03-12, 23:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
              Exactly, even if there somebody was getting a fully personalised program, I'd expect them to go through the above first to expose issues, if any. Then bring in minor compound lifts like single arm/leg lifts, or variations on the main lifts, front squats, stiff leg deads, inclince bench, and/or isolation as needed.
              A lot of PTs I see have clients doing bizarre stuff for the sake of bizarre stuff.
              For sure, deadlift, bench and squat are or should be the foundation of any programme imo.

I justed edited he above to include foam rolling and mobility work. foam rollign is great prehab/rehab and mobility is something every needs work on.
              It's something i need to do more of too. I'll make an effort to get a mobilityWOD or two in tonight as its a rest day.
              Any good vids on some exercises? Would like to try some to mix up my warmup a bit. It's a perfectly good warmup would just like to try something new for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                Any good vids on some exercises? Would like to try some to mix up my warmup a bit. It's a perfectly good warmup would just like to try something new for a while.
                I've spoiler as its might get a bit long
                Foam Rolling
                SPOILER
                I try to do this as often as I can. There's loads online.
                I include it with my warm-up but a lot of the time i'm rolling legs, glutes etc that is sore from the day before.
                This page has some rolling example at the top. The ones with the guy in the orange cover calf, hamstring, glutes, lower back, mid back. And all you need is a foam roller. Those 5 is general what I cover with "foam rolling" in the log.
                You can target more specific areas like hips and shoulders with a baseball or sliotar. But I haven't actually got around to that yet so I won't post it up.

Mobility and Stability
                SPOILER
                Our bodies are a series of joints. That's basically it. Some provide mobility, and some stability. (notice the alternation)
                Ankle — Mobility
                Knee — Stability
                Hip — Mobility
                Lumbar Spine — Stability
                Thoracic Spine — Mobility
                Scapula — Stability
                Shoulder — Mobility

A problem in one joint, manifests as an issue in the next one along the series. Poor hip mobility, manifests itself as lower back pain as the back compensates. Poor ankles mobility stresses the knee. A bad T-spine makes the lower back or scapula compensate.

Mobility drills and exercises
                SPOILER
                I don't do nearly enough here. But when I do bother it's something like this;

Ankle - I do either this or this to try help. If you need to stand on small plates to squat fully, you probably need to check ankle mobility.

Knee - I normally do Prisoner Squats or overhead squats. Could be better. Google "dynamic stretch knee"

Hips - Fire Hydrants. They look silly. But they work for me. Video. My hips are terrible. I did the first hip MobilityWOD last night and was very poor. Could barely get into position and couldn't hold it. I need to sort this as i'm 100% sure its causing issues in my squat, overhead squat, powerclean as I lose stability in my lower back.

Lumbar Spine - You lower back is suppose to be strong and stable. Bad hips cause the back to compensate. Look at the following pics. In the first the back is rounding due to poor hip mobility. The high point is around the lower back, its not actually that severe. In the second, the bend is coming from the hips. back is flat, the high point is the top of ass. Touch your own toes and look in the mirror. Which one is it?
                SPOILER

Thoracic Spine - I do this before anything involving my shoulders, so basically bench press, overhead press, squats, cleans. Video. I'm going to add this one to check out thoraic rotation.

Scapula - aka shoulder blade. Scapula control is important in lot of movements. You want it to get into the correct position and hold that position solidly. Anything involving pushing or pulling with your arms will involve you scapula. It's the base for movements like bench press, overhead press, pull-ups, rows etc. To strengthen it, do scap pull ups and scap push ups. Basically like regular varients but arms are kept straight and movement is sue to scapular retraction.

Shoulder - The shoulder socket and scapula is basically one thing. The scap provide stability and the shoulder socket provides the movement. Poor mobility in the socket will mean the scap moves to compensate. Anyone reading the log will see I do "shoulder dislocates" all the time. A great preand prehab/rehab exercise imo. Start with a very wide grip and go slowly. Video
                Another good shoulder mobility drill is the wall slide. Seated or standing. Back and shoulders against wall, blades together, forearms against walls. Slide arms up and down keeping forearms presses against wall. Increase ROM over time. Video

Thurs - Rest Day
                As i mentioned above. I did a mobilityWOD yesterday. http://www.mobilitywod.com
                It was this one from the start. Was very poor. Couldn't do it at all. So i'm going to have to focus on this. Ended up with some wall slides to at least get something done.
                The above is a great site, there's a new WOD everyday. But don't just jump in at the latest. Go back to the last page and work through the first few WODs. Starting with 10min in the squat position.
                Then progress to the difficult one or serach the site for ones dealing with your issues.
                Last edited by Mellor; 23-03-12, 00:15.

Comment

Thurs - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                  Foam rolling
                  T-spine mobility
                  Wall slides
                  Scapula Push-ups
                  Shoulder Dislocates

Benchpress
                  20kg x 8
                  40kg x 5
                  60kg x 4
                  80kg x 2
                  90kg x 3
                  80kg x 5

Ugh. bar hit the hooks on the way up on the 3rd and I lost it next rep.*

Pull-ups
                  BW x 5
                  +5kg x 5
                  +7.5kg x 5
                  +10kg x 5 *PB*

DB Bench press
                  30kg x 8 x 2

Comment

Tues AM - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                    Foam rolling
                    Mobility drills
                    Overhead Squats

Overhead press
                    20kg x 5
                    40kg x 4
                    50kg x 3
                    60kg x 2
                    62.5kg x 4

Overhead Squats
                    20kg x 5
                    40kg x 5
                    50kg x 5
                    60kg x 5
                    65kg x 5 *PB*

Front Squats
                    60kg x 5
                    80kg x 5
                    100kg x 5

Early morning session. Energy isnt an issue even without breakfast in me. But a little stiff. Did some hip mobility last night, need more work.*
                    4 reps again on shoulders. Deload time.*
                    Overhead squat was tough but high pins allowed me to just go for it.
                    Decided not to push Fr.Squat too much.

Comment

Weds - Oly Lifts/Kettlebells

Warmup
                      Foam Rolling
                      Mobility Drills

Power Cleans
                      40kg x 3
                      50kg x 3
                      60kg x 3
                      70kg x 3 *PB*

Felt good. Was tough, and not getting under as fast as I'd like. Never missing the rep.

Kettlebell Snatch
                      24kg x 70 in 4m30s *PB*

Getting tough now. The grip on the bell is not great. Even with chalk, it was getting hard to grip by the last 20 reps.

Comment

Fri - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                        Foam rolling
                        T-spine mobility
                        Wall slides
                        Shoulder Dislocates

Mobility WOD - Psoas stretch 2 mins each side.*
                        Working through the list

Benchpress
                        20kg x 8
                        40kg x 5
                        60kg x 5
                        70jg x 5
                        80kg x 5
                        85kg x 4

Wasnt feeling great today so went for a lower 5 x 5. Feeling was right as I missed the last rep

Pull-ups
                        BW x 5
                        +5kg x 5
                        +10kg x 5 *PB*

rope pushdowns
                        27.5kg x 12
                        30kg x 12

Cable Flys
                        30kg x 12

Comment

Sat - Boxing

Warmup: Skipping 2*2mins with 1 min rest.

5 x 2 min Rounds
                          1st Rnd: Jab Cross

2nd Rnd: Jab with right hook. Staright right with left hook,*

3rd Rnd: In and Out.*

4th Rnd: Jab, right cross, left hook. Jab, Jab and right hook. Straight right, hook left and hook right.*

5th Rnd: TENS.*

Ok session. My head was elsewhere but the heavy bag was useful for letting off some steam.

Comment

Tues PM - Legs/Shoulders

Haven't been the best this week, and its reflected everywhere tbh.
                            Heart Rate monitor came today so I stuck it on for this session.

Warmup
                            Foam rolling
                            Mobility drills
                            Overhead Squats

Overhead press
                            20kg x 5
                            40kg x 5
                            50kg x 5
                            55kg x 5

Full ROM bar to chest. Was tough, but want to strength my press from the bottom.

Overhead Squats
                            20kg x 5
                            40kg x 5
                            50kg x 5
                            60kg x 4 (missed 5th)

Utg. Burned up everything trying to stablise.

Left squats there, just lost heart.

Snatch
                            40kg x 5
                            45kg x 2

Generally sluggish getting under. Need moar speed...

Heartrate
                            Average: 138BPM (over presses and squats)
                            MAX: 176 (after 60kg OHS set)

HR was 100bpm when I was stretching which was my first indication that I was prob fighting a virus or something. I don't rally get sick, but if i'm hot to fight something, it makes sense that energy suffers. Day off wednesday to rest.

Thurs AM: Weigh-in
                            Weight: 76.0kg
                            As much as i'd like to claim a legit 2.2kg drop. Its not a true weight.
                            Haven't been up to eating much this week and pretty sure i'm dehydrated. Constantly going to the toilet and always thirsty. Despite drinking a lot of water.
                            Basically, I just cut weight to Super-Middleweight.

Comment

Weds - Oly Lifts/Kettlebells

Warmup
                              Foam Rolling
                              Mobility Drills

Power Cleans
                              50kg x 3
                              60kg x 3
                              70kg x 1
                              72.5kg x 1*
                              60kg x 3

The 72kg single was actually a triple where I missed the second two reps.

Kettlebell Snatch
                              16kg x 100

Kept the load back thing week wasn't up to much this week.
                              Had the HRM on for this. 178 average and 199 max. That looks v.high

Comment

Wed - Chest & Back (6 days behind schedule, but i'll catch up by sunday)

Warm-up
                                Foam rolling
                                T-spine mobility
                                Wall slides
                                Shoulder Dislocates

Benchpress
                                20kg x 8
                                40kg x 5
                                60kg x 5
                                70jg x 5
                                80kg x 5
                                85kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                BW x 5
                                +5kg x 5
                                +10kg x 4

Benching was grand. Rest was short between sets. I'm trying to up proten this week. Nailing 90kg at the new lower weight would be sweet.
                                Pull ups were bad. I was set up a big different, but disappointed. Especially because lower BW should help here.

Comment

Thurs - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                  Foam rolling
                                  Mobility drills
                                  Overhead Squats

Overhead press
                                  20kg x 5
                                  40kg x 5
                                  50kg x 5
                                  57.5kg x 5

Tough but got the reps. I just know I'll grind 60kg and miss 62.5

Overhead Squats
                                  20kg x 5
                                  40kg x 5
                                  50kg x 5
                                  60kg x 5
                                  67.5kg x 5 *PB*

Getting more stable with these. BW overhead squat is still the goal.

Front Squats
                                  70kg x 5
                                  90kg x 5

Two fast sets with short rest between. Need to improve my rack position for my cleans

Single leg Squats
                                  8 each side

Handstand Pressup
                                  3 reps

Threw in a single leg squats at the end. Was much better than previous.
                                  First time trying HSPUs in a while. Wasn't full ROM, but I can prob manage a full one.

Weigh-in: 77.5kg

Bounced back from last week dehydration, as expected. But v.happy to be down roughly 5kg over lent. I'm relaxing a bit on diet this week. Not going mad just fitting in the food I craved recently and getting energy levels up.
                                  Last edited by Mellor; 12-04-12, 23:25.

Comment

forgot to log this one

Frui - Oly Lifts

Warmup
                                    Foam Rolling
                                    Loads of Mobility Drills
                                    Wall Squats
                                    Overehad Squats

Clean Progression - 20kg
                                    Followed a CalStrength video on starting off clean progression. Empty 20kg bar.
                                    Felt ok. Was getting down a lot better. But that trailed off above 60kg.

Power Cleans
                                    40kg x 3
                                    50kg x 3
                                    60kg x 3
                                    70kg x 2
                                    72.5kg x 0

Missed two reps at 72.5kg. Ugh. Worse than last week but pretty tight from squats yesterday.
                                    Restructuring might be a good idea now.

Comment

Tues - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                      Foam rolling
                                      T-spine mobility
                                      Wall slides
                                      Shoulder Dislocates
                                      Scap push-ups

Dumbell Bench
                                      17.5kg x 12

Inverted Rows
                                      BW x 18, 14

Benchpress
                                      20kg x 8
                                      40kg x 5
                                      50kg x 5
                                      60kg x 5
                                      70kg x 5
                                      80kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                      BW x 5
                                      +5kg x 5
                                      BW x 5

Didn't push too hard this session as I'm hoping to get another chest and back sessions in this week.

Comment

Hey was looking for some advice.

Ive started doing weights recently. I have a bad back. Ive started the strong lifts program.

Thing is i keep straining my neck and its stiff a lot. How can i stop this? Any advice would be great, thanks.

Comment

On which exercises do you strain it. Deadlifts and squats. And where exactly, lower back or upper back.

Very often, straining your back isn't actually due to an issue with your back, but rather with the next joint along. For example, if you have a hip mobility issue, your range of motion is restricted in the hips and your lower back over reaches to compensate. This strains your back even thoguh the cause is the hips.

I'd introduce some foam rolling to work on the muscles in your legs, hips and back. And i'd also do some mobility work for your hips and thoracic spine (mid-upper back). You can do this before workouts as a warm ups as weel as rest days if you have time.
                                          See this post I wrote before for suggested exercises;

Comment

Sorry mate think i mislead you slightly.

Im doing these exercises to help my back which is working fine.

Its my neck muscles that im straining. I do squats, o/h press, bench, b/o row and deadlift.

Neck muscles sore and stiff most days since i started.

Comment

Ah ok, I assumed you meant straining your back.
                                              If it's your neck that's strained it could be your positioning. If your shoulders are forward it could cause a strain. Concentrate on pullIng shoulder blades together during all the exercises you mentioned.
                                              You want the weight on your shoulder blades not your neck during benching etc
                                              Scap pushups could help build a strong shoulder positioning

Comment

Thanks i will try out your advice.

Comment

Weds - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                  Foam rolling
                                                  Mobility drills
                                                  Overhead Squats

Overhead press
                                                  20kg x 5
                                                  40kg x 5
                                                  50kg x 5
                                                  55kg x 5
                                                  60kg x 5

Grind out 60kg as predicted. Sigh.
                                                  I suppose its a relative PB seeign as i'm prob 5kg lighter now than I was at the start of Feb.

Overhead Squats
                                                  20kg x 5
                                                  50kg x 5
                                                  60kg x 5

Let these short a set. Shoulders were struggling, legs were fine though. Want to avoid Doms and approach cleans are fresh as possible.

Bicep Curls
                                                  27.5kg x 12
                                                  30kg x 12

Gonna fire these in after squats in future. Just to keep any elbow issues at bay.

Handstand Pressup
                                                  3 reps

Legit reps this time (against wall, not freestanding btw). Put a rubber mat on the floor as a depth gauge. First time getting proper reps out of these.

Weigh-in: 77.5kg

Happy to keep the weight the same after an indulgent week last week.

Comment

Fri - Oly Lifts

Warmup
                                                    Foam Rolling
                                                    Loads of Mobility Drills
                                                    Wall Squats
                                                    Overehad Squats

Clean Progression - 20kg
                                                    Followed a CalStrength video on starting off clean progression. Empty 20kg bar.
                                                    Felt ok. Was getting down a lot better. But that trailed off above 60kg.

Power Cleans
                                                    40kg x 3
                                                    50kg x 3
                                                    60kg x 2
                                                    70kg x 1
                                                    72.5kg x 0

Fuck. Dont know what's wrong lately here. Could be that the weight loss was too aggressive and strength went. Or that reduced squat volume left a drop. Or my technique is still cat.
                                                    Squat more I think. And keep trying, maybe singles again. BW would be a milestone

Comment

Sun - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                      Foam rolling
                                                      T-spine mobility
                                                      Wall slides
                                                      Shoulder Dislocates

Benchpress
                                                      20kg x 8
                                                      40kg x 5
                                                      60kg x 5
                                                      70kg x 5
                                                      80kg x 5
                                                      87.5kg x 5

Pull-ups
                                                      BW x 5
                                                      +5kg x 5
                                                      +10kg x 5

Bent Over Row
                                                      40kg x 8
                                                      60kg x 8
                                                      70kg x 8
                                                      80kg x 4
                                                      *drop set*
                                                      60kg x 8

Tricep Pushdowns
                                                      27.5kg x 12
                                                      30kg x 12
                                                      32.5kg x 12

Benching felt good. Held position together well for max effort.
                                                      Pull-ups were ok. 5kg felt hard, but then I got the 5 reps with 10kg out so all good.
                                                      Decided to include bent over rows again. I've bee neglecting my back. I'd like a new bench PR soon so need a bring back up along with chest.

I've a few interesting idea for this week.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                        Foam rolling
                                                        Mobility drills

Squats
                                                        20kg x 8
                                                        60kg x 5
                                                        90kg x 5
                                                        120kg x 5

Return to back squats. Was in a hurry so kept it reasonable and has 60-90 seconds rest. Depth felt good

Overhead press
                                                        20kg x 5
                                                        40kg x 5
                                                        50kg x 5
                                                        60kg x 3
                                                        65kg x 3 *push press*

Short rests catching up here so dropped to 3 reps and push pressed 65kg.

Good mornings
                                                        50kg x 12 x 2

Comment

Sun - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                          Foam rolling
                                                          T-spine mobility
                                                          Wall slides
                                                          Shoulder Dislocates

Benchpress
                                                          20kg x 8
                                                          40kg x 5
                                                          60kg x 5
                                                          80kg x 5
                                                          90kg x 5 *PB*

Finally. Think I got it before but probably not full ROM (which was still slightly less than perfect today)

Pull-ups
                                                          BW x 5
                                                          +5kg x 5
                                                          +10kg x 5
                                                          +12.5kg x 3 *PB*

Bent Over Row (Pendlay Rows)
                                                          60kg x 8
                                                          70kg x 8
                                                          70kg x 5

Hips was stiff from tuesday made these pretty tough.

Good session though.

Comment

Mon - Muay Thai - 60 mins
                                                            (was supposed to be BJJ but timetable i had was wrong. Jumped into this anyway.

Warm-up
                                                            Various jump lunges, dynamic stuff. Hip stuff. Was fairly tough tbh.
                                                            Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Then some woeful splits.

Pads
                                                            Jab, L.Elbow, Knee, push, 2x Roundhouse.
                                                            Jab, L.Elbow, Knee, push, 2x Roundhouse, Headkick
                                                            Jab, Cross, step back, L.Cross, R.Hook, 2x Roundhouse

Based with a partner. 1 round pads and one striking. A little bit more technical than I'm used to. I actually found the pads harder as I was gettign mixed up which sides to move too and wasn;t too smooth. But had a think about it alter and figured out a way to visualising it. simple now, I think.

Kicks
                                                            As many kicks as possible in 2 mins. Switching sides every 30 seconds.

The final minutes were terrible.

Energy was a bit lacking for this tbh. I can manage low volume high intensity weights on a deficit. But not a class like this. But oberall, really liked it.
                                                            The head coach offer said I was free to jump into the BJJ class after, or comeback a different time if I preferred. I opted to come back, which I'll hopefully do this week.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                              Foam rolling
                                                              Mobility drills

Overhead Press (or anyhow)
                                                              20kg x 8
                                                              40kg x 5
                                                              50kg x 5
                                                              60kg x 3
                                                              65kg x 3 *push press*
                                                              70kg x 1 *jerk* *PB*
                                                              75kg x 0

I attempted a push press on 70kg and missed it and tried again with a slight jerk immediately, without racking the bar. Must be a PB, it's over 90% body weight overhead.
                                                              I would of liked 75kg overhead but my I wasn't enough under the bar. But improve technique and I'll get it. Then slowly work to push and maybe press.

Squats
                                                              60kg x 5
                                                              100kg x 5
                                                              120kg x 5
                                                              130kg x 3

Was too fried to go for 5 @ 130kg

Comment

Thurs - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                                Foam rolling
                                                                T-spine mobility
                                                                Wall slides
                                                                Shoulder Dislocates

Benchpress
                                                                20kg x 8
                                                                40kg x 5
                                                                60kg x 5
                                                                75kg x 4
                                                                85kg x 3
                                                                92.5kg x 3 *PB* + spotter rep

Felt good today. held position well on build up. First rep on 92 felt easy and had a little "Yes". Slowed on 3rd rep, locked it out and a guy standing near by signaled to go again and he's spot. Got 1/4 of the way up.

Pull-ups
                                                                BW x 5
                                                                +5kg x 5
                                                                +10kg x 5
                                                                +12.5kg x 5 *PB*

Pull-ups felt really good. For the BW reps felt like I was getting up pretty high.

Tricep Pushdowns
                                                                28.75kg x 12
                                                                31.25kg x 12

Comment

FRI - BJJ

Drills
                                                                  Hip escape
                                                                  Omaplata escape
                                                                  Guard sweep drill
                                                                  Armbar to side control
                                                                  Open guard to side control

Rolling
                                                                  2 x 2-3mins

Not sure what to make of that. Was ok on the top. Was able to power through but once I was swept or started on bottom I was kept there pretty easily.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                                    Foam rolling
                                                                    Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                    20kg x 5
                                                                    60kg x 5
                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                    130kg x 5
                                                                    140kg x 5

Was planning on a triple at 140kg. After 3 hand more left so went for it. Fell forward a little. But this equals my best at a lower BW, so its about a 5% increase in a relative sense. Hopefull 150kg x 5and Double BW x 5 come smoothly.

Overhead Press
                                                                    20kg x 8
                                                                    40kg x 5
                                                                    50kg x 5
                                                                    60kg x 5

Token presses.

I've been thinking about the rower lately. Want to include soem conditioning type sessions and some test rows. Once again the 500m was tempting me...
                                                                    I said before the session that it was going to do it before or after legs... but on the way out I said screw it and jumped on the concept 2.
                                                                    Started ok, but half way through my legs were jelly. I was on target for 1.32 or so, but couldn't get the power to close it out. Finished 1 sec slower than my PB, which is good considering everything I suppose.
                                                                    I'll get in done completely fresh soon, this is the second time I attempted it after weights.

Row
                                                                    500m in 1:35.5

Comment

Wed - Muay Thai - 60 mins

Warm-up
                                                                      Various jump lunges, dynamic stuff. Hip stuff.
                                                                      Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Then some woeful splits again.

Gloves on
                                                                      Tit for Tat combos with a partner, add the strike each round
                                                                      Push Kick, Axe Kick, Cross, L.Hook body, L.hook Head, uppercut, Roundhouse

Burpees
                                                                      1 min of burpee with Hook body, Hook Head after each

A lot lower intensity this week.

Comment

Fri - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                                        Foam rolling
                                                                        T-spine mobility
                                                                        Wall slides

Benchpress
                                                                        20kg x 8
                                                                        40kg x 5
                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                        75kg x 4
                                                                        85kg x 3
                                                                        92.5kg x 4 *PB*

Pull-ups
                                                                        BW x 5
                                                                        +5kg x 5
                                                                        +10kg x 5
                                                                        +15kg x 3 *PB*

Heavy Bag
                                                                        5-10 mins of roundhouse and front kicks

Comment

Sat - BJJ

Drills
                                                                          Jump to guard, hook leg and take down
                                                                          Side control, isolate elbow, step to mount
                                                                          Mount to side control, Americana, straight armlock,
                                                                          Isolate arm, switch hips, step over head and rotate to armbar

Rolling
                                                                          3 x 5mins

Did

Comment

Mon - Conditioning

Warm-up
                                                                            Foam Rolling
                                                                            T-spine mobility

Rower
                                                                            90s at 20 SPM - nice and slow just to stretch out

500m - 1:33.9 *PB*
                                                                            Heartrate: Forgot to wear it
                                                                            Ugh. I really hoping to befaster than that. I haven't really rowed lately so, probably getting ahead of myself.
                                                                            I wanted to break 1:33.0 as its the irish lightweight record, or rather it was. Somebody broke it in the last week or two and dropped it to 1:29.9.
                                                                            Guess I'll just have to go sub 1:30 too. Probably going to do a 1km soon. I'm going to try include a proper conditionign day on the row once a week. Not sure of a form to follow yet, i'll probably check out crossfit and soem threads on boards.

New Schedule
                                                                            Mon: Conditioning
                                                                            Tue: Weights - Legs/Shoulders
                                                                            Wed: Muay Thai/BJJ
                                                                            Thur:Rest
                                                                            Fri: Weights - Chest/Back
                                                                            Sat:BJJ/Muay Thai
                                                                            Sun: Rest
                                                                            Last edited by Mellor; 15-05-12, 06:52.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                                              Foam rolling
                                                                              Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                              20kg x 5
                                                                              60kg x 5
                                                                              100kg x 4
                                                                              130kg x 3
                                                                              140kg x 2
                                                                              145kg x 3

140kg x 2 was tougher than it should of been. Didn't exactly fill be with confidence for 145kg, but I told myself I was grinding 3 reps no matter what. So job done. 3rd rep was a little high if i'm honest. If 145 isn't a PB it equals a PB.

Overhead Press
                                                                              20kg x 8
                                                                              40kg x 5
                                                                              50kg x 5
                                                                              60kg x 5

Token presses. Again.

Bicep Curls
                                                                              30kg x 12 x 2

Comment

Good job.

I'm interested to see how the MMA stuff affects your strength / ability to give 100% in strength sessions. It's hard enough to recover between weight sessions without having MMA in the meantime.

You one crazy mofo.

Comment

I've given that some thought actually. Muay Thai is quite tiring on the legs/hips so I'd never be able to squat the next day, but as long as the volume isn't too bad the squats before MT is ok.
                                                                                  Then it's a rest day and and upper body before the BJJ class.
                                                                                  The good thing is that classes are everyday so I can adjust week to week as needed.

Technique is far more important than strength right now, so im spending a lot of time thinking about how to fixed issues.
                                                                                  But I still want to keep lifting goals in place. Maybe stop neglecting my deadlift.

Comment

Warm-up
                                                                                    Sprint on the spot, Lunges, dynamic Hip stuff, push kicks, chest touch plank
                                                                                    Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits

Pads
                                                                                    Jab, Cross, duck, R.Hook, 2x Roundhouse.
                                                                                    Cross, L.Hook, step, Cross, R.Hook, 2x Roundhouse,
                                                                                    Cross, step, L.Hook, Cross, stepback, R.Hook, 2x Roundhouse,
                                                                                    Jab, Cross, step, L.Hook, Uppercut,

Kicks
                                                                                    2 mins of roundhouses. Sprawl and switch legs every 10 seconds of so.

Comment

Fri - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                                                      Foam rolling
                                                                                      T-spine mobility

Benchpress
                                                                                      20kg x 8
                                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                                      60kg x 4
                                                                                      75kg x 3
                                                                                      85kg x 2
                                                                                      92.5kg x 3

92.5 felt off centre, just set up wrong.

Pull-ups
                                                                                      BW x 5
                                                                                      +5kg x 5
                                                                                      +10kg x 5
                                                                                      BW x 5

Heavy Bag
                                                                                      15 mins of roundhouse and front kicks

Technique feels a bit better with RHs. Hips still tight though.

Comment

Sat - BJJ 2 hours

warm up
                                                                                        Jogging, stretching, sprawls, press ups, hip crawls

Drills
                                                                                        Breaking posture up from guard
                                                                                        Breaking lapel choke inside guard
                                                                                        Butterfly to armbar to triangle to omplata and back
                                                                                        Few more variations

Rolling
                                                                                        5 x 4mins

Rolled with a lot of the bigger guys. Managed a decent throw from stand up but test of the takedowns weren't great.
                                                                                        Did an extra bit with one of the younger guys after class, pulled off a twister, but he still got the better of me in general.

Do ends a tough week. Go out tonight and rest tomorrow.
                                                                                        Last edited by Mellor; 19-05-12, 09:02.

Comment

Mon - Conditioning

Rower
                                                                                          1000m easy, 20 S/M - 4:59.5
                                                                                          Felt really slow keeping strokes around 20

1000m - 3:40.1 *PB*
                                                                                          Heartrate: Forgot to wear it again

Happy enough with that. Paced it much better. Should be able to work down to 3:30ish.

Comment

Tues - Legs/Shoulders

Warmup
                                                                                            Foam rolling

Deadlifts
                                                                                            60kg x 5
                                                                                            100kg x 5
                                                                                            120kg x 5
                                                                                            130kg x 5
                                                                                            140kg x 5

Squat racks didn't look like they'd free up so went with deadlifts.
                                                                                            Happy to get 5 reps at 140. Didn't do enough mobility before hand, hips weren't active enough. Was prob toughest on my grip.

Overhead Press
                                                                                            20kg x 8
                                                                                            40kg x 5
                                                                                            50kg x 5
                                                                                            60kg x 5

Prob should have done some curls for elbow health.

Comment

Warm-up
                                                                                              Sprint on the spot, Lunges, press ups, sit ups, boxing shuffle. Constant circuit for about 10 mins
                                                                                              Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits. My hips are dreadful

Kicks
                                                                                              Roundhouse leg kick drill
                                                                                              Inside leg kick drill
                                                                                              Conbinations of the above with a push kick block to leave them exposed
                                                                                              More combinations for the rest of the session.

Comment

FRI - BJJ

Warm-up
                                                                                                Hip escape, bear crawls, etc

Rolling
                                                                                                6-8 x 5mins

Was good session, most of it was me defending though. Had a brief moment where it all went smoothly. Got the sweep, mount, almost locked in the armbar. But he postured and pulled the arm out. I switched to a futile triangle. One thing I noticed tonight was that I was struggling to get my hooks when I was trying to take the back.

Comment

FRI - BJJ

Warm-up

Rolling
                                                                                                  6-8 x 5mins

Was good session, most of it was me defending though. Had a brief moment where it all went smoothly. Got the sweep, mount, almost locked in the armbar. But he postured and pulled the arm out. I switched to a futile triangle. One thing I noticed tonight was that I was struggling to get my hooks when I was trying to take the back.
                                                                                                  Is this Gi or NoGi? You'll be the nail for a long time before you can even think of being the hammer. Dont be too hard on yourswelf, and dont give up.

What sweep did you get? Why were you struggling to get the hooks in?

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                                                    Is this Gi or NoGi? You'll be the nail for a long time before you can even think of being the hammer. Dont be too hard on yourswelf, and dont give up.

What sweep did you get? Why were you struggling to get the hooks in?
                                                                                                    It's Gi. Blut there's the option of nogi aswel.
                                                                                                    Sweep was a bump sweep. Wasn't perfect but ended up in mount anyway.
                                                                                                    I think I was just rushing when they turtled and trying to get the back
                                                                                                    Last edited by Mellor; 26-05-12, 01:00.

Comment

Sat - Chest & Back

Warm-up
                                                                                                      Foam rolling
                                                                                                      T-spine mobility

Benchpress
                                                                                                      20kg x 8
                                                                                                      40kg x 5
                                                                                                      60kg x 5
                                                                                                      75kg x 3
                                                                                                      85kg x 2
                                                                                                      92.5kg x 2

Forearm was sore from last nights session. Couldn't get a great grip on the bar

Pull-ups
                                                                                                      BW x 12 *PB*

Wasn't expecting that many.

Bent Over Row
                                                                                                      60kg x 8 x 3

Comment

It's Gi. Blut there's the option of nogi aswel.
                                                                                                        Sweep was a bump sweep. Wasn't perfect but ended up in mount anyway.
                                                                                                        I think I was just rushing when they turtled and trying to get the back
                                                                                                        Hip bump is a great sweep. You can choke/kimura directly from his first defence. I think Barry did a video on the bjj alphabet on the sweep, so that's worth checking out.

As for taking the back from turtle its tough, but patience is the key. Stay either hip to hip or directly behind his hips to control his hips and prevent the roll out or sit through escapes.
                                                                                                        I asked Drysdale about this last year and he spoke about the importance of controlling the hips, then getting the seat belt before inserting one hook. The second hook is actually easy after that. You just need to attack the neck and he will try to defend that rather than the hook.

Terere also covered it, but he uses double unders and gable rather than over under and seat belt.

Comment

That's were I got the bump sweep from, Barry's videos. He should really finish out the lot, although I can see some problems towards the end.
                                                                                                          I'm watching a few videos online, trying to pick up little bits. For example, last week I tapped to an Americana twice, do I watched two videos on defending it. And this week I was able use that.
                                                                                                          As you said I'll be the nail for a while, but I'm just happy if I'm actively defending.

Comment

Mon - Conditioning

Tabata Rower
                                                                                                            20sec row, 10sec rest x 8 (I did this twice with 5 mins in between)

Set 1: 938m total
                                                                                                            Set 2: 897m total

Went hard, then went home.

Comment

Restructuring the weight training from here.
                                                                                                              Basically I started with 5x5 style training. Weekly increases, but never squatting 3x per week like the beginners 5x5. As I was lifting heavier I would do a triple at a weight before going for the full 5. I also did a stint at WS4SB with heavy singles.
                                                                                                              Weight on the bar has stagnated, but relative strength is up as i'm 5kg lighter now. I've decided to change up my weight routine so that its more structured. I'll be squating and benching more often, as well as including deadlifts.
                                                                                                              I've decided to go with MadCow, its quite similar to the Texas method that Lurker followed last year. The only modification I'm making is that i'll be following a 10/11 day cycle, and not 7 days, or simple 2 sessions per week. I think i'll need the recovery.

1x5 = Work up for a heavy 5 rep set
                                                                                                              2x5 = Work up as normal, repeat the 4th warm-up set instead of heavy set
                                                                                                              1x3 = Work up as normal, heavy triple. Becomes target triple for nest session

Comment

Tuesday - Week 1.1
                                                                                                                High volume, high intensity

Warmup
                                                                                                                Foam rolling
                                                                                                                Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                                                                67.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                82.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                100kg x 5
                                                                                                                115kg x 5
                                                                                                                132.kg5 x 5

Bench Press
                                                                                                                20kg x 5
                                                                                                                42.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                52.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                65kg x 5
                                                                                                                75kg x 5
                                                                                                                85kg x 5

Bent Over Row
                                                                                                                30kg x 5
                                                                                                                40kg x 5
                                                                                                                50kg x 5
                                                                                                                60kg x 5
                                                                                                                67.5kg x 5

Went ok.
                                                                                                                Squats felt heavy at the bottom. But went deep.
                                                                                                                Bench was fine working up. I rushed the 85kg set thinking it was a deload. I should of taken more rest as it's still 95% of my 5 rep max.
                                                                                                                Rows were fine. didn't need much rest. I used 70kg as my 5 rep max for the purpose of calculations, which might be a bit low. But I want to be a form nazi here.

Comment

Warm-up
                                                                                                                  Sprints, burpees, sprawls, leg skips, press ups, lunges
                                                                                                                  Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits.

Pads
                                                                                                                  Push kick, Axe kick, roundhouse, Cross, Hook
                                                                                                                  Axe kick, push kick, roundhouse, Cross, Hook
                                                                                                                  Axe kick, push kick, Cross, Hook, double roundhouse, (rear leg)
                                                                                                                  Push kick, Roundhouse, Cross, Hook, Ace kick

Kicks
                                                                                                                  Axe Kick, Push Kick, left, left, right, right - 1 min

Comment

[QUOTE=Mellor;551889]Tuesday - Week 1.1
                                                                                                                    Moderate volume, Moderate intensity

Warmup
                                                                                                                    Foam rolling
                                                                                                                    Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                                                                    20kg x 5
                                                                                                                    67.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                    82.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                    100kg x 5 x2 w

Overhead Press
                                                                                                                    35kg x 5
                                                                                                                    42.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                    50kg x 5
                                                                                                                    57.5kg x 5

Deadlifts
                                                                                                                    82.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                    100kg x 5
                                                                                                                    115kg x 5
                                                                                                                    132.5kg x 5

Good session. Went smoothly all sets. Suppose the load wasn't too heavy, but it's good to nail the form for moving back up the load.

Comment

Mon - BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                                      Various standing trips, leg sweeps etc

Submissions
                                                                                                                      Heel hooks. Setting up, and How to escape correctly

Rolling
                                                                                                                      3 x 5 mins

Set up and pulling off a triangle, pretty much held my own in the other two.
                                                                                                                      Have a tournament on Saturday, so was a nice confidence booster to have some small bits go my way.

Comment

Tuesday - Week 1.3
                                                                                                                        High volume, high intensity

Warmup
                                                                                                                        Foam rolling
                                                                                                                        Mobility drills

Squats
                                                                                                                        20kg x 5
                                                                                                                        67.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                        82.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                        100kg x 5
                                                                                                                        115kg x 5
                                                                                                                        137.5kg x 3
                                                                                                                        100kg x 8

Bench Press
                                                                                                                        42.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                        52.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                        65kg x 5
                                                                                                                        75kg x 5
                                                                                                                        87.5kg x 3
                                                                                                                        65kg x 8

Bent Over Row
                                                                                                                        35kg x 5
                                                                                                                        42.5kg x 5
                                                                                                                        50kg x 5
                                                                                                                        60kg x 5
                                                                                                                        67.5kg x 3
                                                                                                                        50kg x 8

Squats are defo toughest part. Most likely basing the sets off a weight closer to my max. Got through bench and rows pretty quickly.

Comment

Wed - MMA

Muay thai - 60mins
                                                                                                                          Warm-up
                                                                                                                          Press-ups, plyo-lunges, mountain climbers, V-ups, squat jumps, burpees.
                                                                                                                          20 seconds each. 3 rounds. No rest between each exercise.

That was horrible. The wrestling coach took over the warm up. First time working with him. Read up a bit about him, pretty impressive grappling credentials.

Kick Drills
                                                                                                                          Front kick blocks. Roundhouse blocks.

Stretching - Hip and thoracic stuff. Splits.

Pads
                                                                                                                          Cross, circle, roundhouse,
                                                                                                                          Cross, hook, circle, double roundhouse,
                                                                                                                          Cross, hook, uppercut, circle, double roundhouse, knee

BJJ - 90 mins

Warm-up

Drills
                                                                                                                          Various standing trips, leg sweeps etc

Submissions
                                                                                                                          Foot lock escapes.

Rolling
                                                                                                                          3 x 5 mins

Rolling went well. Managed to control my opponent for most of the first. Took his back seated and went for a twister hoping that he'd defend the choke and miss it but i couldn't break his grip. Advanced to mount and got an armbar.
                                                                                                                          Next, tapped to armbar early. But went again and I was seconds away from a foot lock and buzzer went.
                                                                                                                          Last, I went for an armbar but he defended, switched to triangle and then back to armbar when he adjusted. Was something we drilled a few weeks ago and was happy to be thinking about my moves and not just going for futile attempts.
                                                                                                                          I still got tapped in the first two rolls, armbar each time so by no means the hammer yet (as Tom might say). But the improvement is there.

Pretty tough session. Almost 2.5 hours.
                                                                                                                          Taking two days off to rest and recover and hopefully I can win one out of my two matches on Saturday.
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Mellor; 07-06-12, 01:56.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X