• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Influence?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
      Influence?
      Yep looked it up now, "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion". Did I ever mention how much I love how sharp and forthright you are?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        Did Outliers by Gladwell and now doing Tipping Point by him, enjoyable pop science with correlation = causation for him. Also did some famous persuasion influence book that was full of things I already do . Have gotten an audio book on scrum as we've started that in work.
        I read those two of Gladwell as well. I bought Blink, What the dog saw and David & Golaith too but haven't read them yet.

Persuasion is good, lots of good books in that area.

Thinking Fast & Slow
        Nudge
        Misbehaving
        How to win friends & influence people
        Daniel Goleman has a few on emotional intelligence which are decent too

I was maybe 1/3 through two Dan Dennett books and put them down. They're just draining trying to figure out exactly what he's talking about
        Last edited by Guest; 22-06-18, 11:55.

Comment

Yeah read that recently. Think a lot of wannabee entrepreneurs read that for inspiration, but so much good luck (and sacrifice) involved in that story (his coach happened to be a genius, he got lucky with finance, endorsements, etc), company could so easily have folded with tighter credit.
          Absolutely. Ran well if you excuse the pun

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
            I read those two of Gladwell as well. I bought Blink, What the dog saw and David & Golaith too but haven't read them yet.

Persuasion is good, lots of good books in that area.

Thinking Fast & Slow
            Nudge
            Misbehaving
            How to win friends & influence people
            Daniel Goleman has a few on emotional intelligence which are decent too

I was maybe 1/3 through two Dan Dennett books and put them down. They're just draining trying to figure out exactly what he's talking about
            I Read What the Dog Saw and Loved that, have Blink here to read too. A rare physical copy of a book for me. Thinking Fast & Slow sounds good from the title, it's a concept I've thought a lot about. I'd like some books with more Science to them like Influence.

Dan Dennett sounds good considering his credentials.

Comment

I Read What the Dog Saw and Loved that, have Blink here to read too. A rare physical copy of a book for me. Thinking Fast & Slow sounds good from the title, it's a concept I've thought a lot about. I'd like some books with more Science to them like Influence.

Dan Dennett sounds good considering his credentials.
              Thinking Fast and Slow is hands down the best and most influential book I've ever read anyway.
              Hitch said Michael Lewis adaptation The Undoing Project is very good too.

Dennett is great, he's one of the 4 horsemen with Dawkins, Harris & Hitchens. He did a great podcast with Sam Harris on the concept of Free Will vs Determinism which arose because of his criticism of Harris's book Free Will as he felt it was flawed.
              Lots of it going over my head as it often feels like they're arguments over semantics but they're interesting concepts.

Hitchens "Letters to a young contrarian" is well worth a read too

Comment

@Tar I'd you're interested in Dennett & persuasion, I'm moving on to reading this:

He consistently mentions Rappaports Rules as a formula for constructing a debate and probably pretty apt for idea of persuasion:

How to compose a successful critical commentary:

1. You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”

2. You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).

3. You should mention anything you have learned from your target.

4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

One immediate effect of following these rules is that your targets will be a receptive audience for your criticism: you have already shown that you understand their positions as well as they do, and have demonstrated good judgment (you agree with them on some important matters and have even been persuaded by something they said).

Comment

I started reading Ulysses again on June 16. Took me a year to get through it last time 15 years ago.

Giving myself another year to get through it BUT hope to be largely done this time by Nov. 1 when the Beastie Boys memoir comes out.

Hoping to find the time to read some supplementary material this time as i finish each chapter to deepen my understanding.

IIRC my mind was blown regularly last time as i read it while travelling in Australia and China.

Looking forward to more of the same now i'm in Dublin and am connected much more to the city and its language and rhythms.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                    I started reading Ulysses again on June 16. Took me a year to get through it last time 15 years ago.

Giving myself another year to get through it BUT hope to be largely done this time by Nov. 1 when the Beastie Boys memoir comes out.

Hoping to find the time to read some supplementary material this time as i finish each chapter to deepen my understanding.

IIRC my mind was blown regularly last time as i read it while travelling in Australia and China.

Looking forward to more of the same now i'm in Dublin and am connected much more to the city and its language and rhythms.
                    Here is a link to the RTE dramatisation which is great to read along with.

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

After you've read it once its great to pick and choose. I read one or two chapters every June, supposedly at random but at this stage there are a couple I'll avoid. Just finished Ithaca and it's a pure joy to read.
                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                      Here is a link to the RTE dramatisation which is great to read along with.

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

After you've read it once its great to pick and choose. I read one or two chapters every June, supposedly at random but at this stage there are a couple I'll avoid. Just finished Ithaca and it's a pure joy to read.

Cheers for the link. Will give that a listen for sure. Just finished chapter one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Finished the Tipping Point, interesting. In the middle of a book about scrum by the person who brought it to software development (and other fields).

If you live in Dublin there is a Ulysses play on.

Comment

Finished the Tipping Point, interesting. In the middle of a book about scrum by the person who brought it to software development (and other fields).

If you live in Dublin there is a Ulysses play on.

What’s the scrum book? Implementing a fair bit of scrum project mgmt in work at the minute and it’s pretty interesting but I dunno if I’d be able for a whole book on it unless it was well written and not too heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by BennyHiFi; 28-06-18, 15:11.

Comment

Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time

It's quite light, so far it's just talking about the history of scrum, why it came about, the authors background, places it has been used to great success and is now starting to do a very light analysis of different parts of it. It's by no means a technical book.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                              Make sure it's the version with Zelazny reading!
                              Finished my scrum book and had started this but it was narrated by somebody else, damn!

The first five books are read by Alessandro Juliani ("Gaeta" from Battlestar Galactica) and the last five books are read by Will Wheaton ("Wesley Crusher" from ST:TNG).
                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-07-18, 23:01.

Comment

The play on currently in The Abbey is accessible, yet still treats the main chapters faithfully. It has some modern twists, and plenty of song/dance. Well worth a visit, and the discounted stage seats mean you can interact with the characters ...

Comment

Finished my scrum book and had started this but it was narrated by somebody else, damn!

The first five books are read by Alessandro Juliani ("Gaeta" from Battlestar Galactica) and the last five books are read by Will Wheaton ("Wesley Crusher" from ST:TNG).
                                  Don’t do it. I have the proper versions on my laptop, do you have a Dropbox account or something I can share them with you?

Comment

I'll PM you. I've started The Martian in the meantime.
                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 04-07-18, 09:52.

Comment

I suspect this is morally dubious at best but sure I'll share it anyway. I purchases an Audible account with 24 credits on Ebay for ~€24 yesterday. Got sent the details last night and it appears to work without a hitch.

I'd like to think I'm not doing the authors whose books I download completely out of their royalties, not sure how the scam works tbh. In fairness I was unlikely to ever pay for them either way.

Comment

I told two people about this a few minutes ago, both bought instantly lol.

Comment

FYI they are doing a two books for one credit sale at the moment that has what appear to be some decent titles included. It is going on for another two days or close enough. Should get the log in details for the new account in time to browse it.

Comment

My brother bought two of those accounts.

I'm finished The Martian and onto Nine Princes in Amber, it's great so far. It kinda reads like Trent at some points. The author reading it is the best I've heard somebody read something. Nobody else sounds like the content is actually happening, really impressed. His only mistake has been saying Fiona wrong!

Comment

Man, andy weir sure knows how to write a book. Reading his 2nd book Artemis. Such a fun easy read.
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

My brother bought two of those accounts.

I'm finished The Martian and onto Nine Princes in Amber, it's great so far. It kinda reads like Trent at some points. The author reading it is the best I've heard somebody read something. Nobody else sounds like the content is actually happening, really impressed. His only mistake has been saying Fiona wrong!
                                                He just murdered the pronunciation of Tír na nÓg, I like how this Irish influence is getting in there but he clearly has never heard somebody speak of it

Comment

He just murdered the pronunciation of Tír na nÓg, I like how this Irish influence is getting in there but he clearly has never heard somebody speak of it
                                                  It's Tir-na Nog'th in the book so presumably he changed it deliberately in that case. What he's referring to has little or no similarity to our mythology so I guess he just liked the sound as much as anything. His pronunciation of Fiona grew dramatically on me over the years.

It might not be very obvious - it certainly took me a long time to notice - but he gives some of the characters Irish twangs when he's voicing them. Eric in particular IIRC.

Comment

Will listen out, haven't gotten to Eric yet. I quite like fyona tbf.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Finished Nine princes in Amber and onto the sequel Guns of Avalon.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                        Getting that! Looks class.
                                                        It was all right, good enough, enjoyed it but repetitive after a while.

Comment

Watching that Icarus documentary, decided to see if I could get some sort of Putin book because whatever else he's an interesting character. Still have audible credits to use so going to give All the Kremlin's Men: Inside the Court of Vladimir Putin a go.

On another note, I've been listening to the Dresden Files books - which are sort of hard-boiled detective stories but the detective is a wizard. Half way through the third one and they're most enjoyable.

Comment

@Denny - how do you get through books at such a rate? Was that one about Buddhism you read any good?

Comment

@Denny - how do you get through books at such a rate? Was that one about Buddhism you read any good?
                                                              I just try to read a bit every day, and get in a bit more on weekend mornings. I don't really watch TV. As I've been reading more I've gotten faster too (think i posted here two years ago that I was really struggling after getting so used to reading short items on the internet).

Even though I do take a lot of notes I can cover non-fiction like "Hit Refresh" in a few hours as there's a lot of parallels and similar ideas to books I've read previously. It's funny, that Buddhism book mostly reminded me of Ray Dalio's 'Principles'. Something like Bertrand Russell takes me an awful lot longer to read.

To answer your other question, I haven't read anything else on that subject, so I've nothing to compare it to. He does get a bit repetitive, I think the first third of the book was v good, and he could have cut down the last third or so. I bought five much longer books on Buddhism when I bought that but they've been on my shelves ever since maybe when I get through them I can answer better.

Comment

Finished The Guns of Avalon, really good. Halfway through Sign of the Unicorn. Love the fleshing out of past events in these books, adding layers.

Comment

Finished sign of the unicorn and then the hand of Oberon. Now onto the courts of chaos, are there any more read by him keane?

Comment

Finished sign of the unicorn and then the hand of Oberon. Now onto the courts of chaos, are there any more read by him keane?
                                                                    There are more here - http://speakingvolumes.us/authors/roger-zelazny/ - but I only bought the first five back in the day.

Comment

Cheers, did you read the rest or lose interest?

Comment

Cheers, did you read the rest or lose interest?
                                                                        I listened to them much more recently, just last year I think. I got just whatever versions of them I could find for free. They're good.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                          Man, andy weir sure knows how to write a book. Reading his 2nd book Artemis. Such a fun easy read.
                                                                          Yeah i'm going to be reading this again. Can burn through the book so quickly as it is so easy to read. Fiction writers sure can learn a thing or two from him.
                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

...
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 17-08-18, 21:11.

Comment

...

Comment

Hoping to find the time to read some supplementary material this time as i finish each chapter to deepen my understanding....
                                                                                  Thought i'd do a short update on this adventure.

So two months in and i'm one-quarter of the way (6 or 7 'chapters' i think) through Ulysses.

I'm a bit behind the November target but that's largely due to the supplementary reading described above - maps of Dublin, literary essays, biographical notes on Joyce, Cliffnotes about each chapter, google searches on nursery rhymes, education, obscure small towns, a litany of wikis on early 20th century intellectuals among other things in the last couple of nights.

It's an incredible thing to realise i'm now studying it and thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm reading the uncorrected version this time (which Joyce was unhappy about) and definitely want to find out what the 5,000 errors were (7 per page) so that's next on my side reading.

Let's see if i can keep possession of the ball in the second quarter

PS... i am reading other stuff just in case you think the pace seems slow. A punk memoir last weekend, a couple of issues of Record Collector magazine cover to cover, 100 emails a day, sundry daily betting columns, Twitter spurts, occasional long reads etc... etc...
                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 17-08-18, 21:56.

Comment

...

Comment

Is there anyone else wants to join the IPB Goodreads club? Recommendations there are class, but needs a wider group. Think it's only five of us there at the moment.
                                                                                      I updated mine a little this morning but it would take a while to update with everything I've bought over the past 6 months.
                                                                                      The actual volume of reading has slowed down but probably supplemented by 200 or so hours of podcasts.

Sam Harris talks to physicist David Deutsch about the reach and power of human knowledge, the future of artificial intelligence, and the survival of civilization.

Podcast with David Deutsch so based on that The Beginning of Infinity and The Fabric of Reality are my next two purchases.
                                                                                      He has a great little story of his pick for most intelligent human he has met at the end

Comment

...

Comment

I am either gonna hate or love you Benny. I've long put off reading 'Ulysses' but your posts have prompted me to order it and give it a spin. Probably be a while before I get to it as about to tackle 'Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized'.

To add something to this thread. The book which I have enjoyed most of what I have read of late is 'BeatleBone' by Kevin Barry.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                                            I am either gonna hate or love you Benny. I've long put off reading 'Ulysses' but your posts have prompted me to order it and give it a spin. Probably be a while before I get to it as about to tackle 'Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized'.

To add something to this thread. The book which I have enjoyed most of what I have read of late is 'BeatleBone' by Kevin Barry.

Opr
                                                                                            I find these useful resources to help wrap my head around what's going on when things take a turn for the weird/obscure/erudite.

JJON is an open-access journal that focuses on the people, the words, and other cultural references in Ulysses and the earlier works. It hopes to contribute to the reader's task of learning to become Joyce's contemporary.

Ulysses begins at about 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 16, 1904, in Dublin, Ireland, when one of its major participants, young Stephen Dedalus, awakens and interac

http://www.chipspage.com/4500/WattsIntro.html (this essay is the intro to the version i have.)
                                                                                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel) - good for snap shot overview before you start
                                                                                            I have this map on my kitchen wall and consult it often
                                                                                            It took Rachel Kerr three years to create, but it's worth the wait: Leopold's Day is a map of Dublin that features the city as it was described in James Joyce's masterpiece Ulysses. Rachel also made a directory featuring 400 real people and premises that were mentioned in the book. Link - via Broadsheet See also: Ulysses - Postertext...

I read between 3 and 10 pages at a time usually and each time i have questions i can usually find the answer to online pretty quickly.

Looking forward to reading a bio of Joyce after this (though probably next year). He was a kinda dissolute boyo with a big dose of the horn and a sharp sense of humour but also quite tragic. An apt metaphor for, well, Dublin, the book and the lives he chronicled in such piercing, often agonising detail.

Good luck!

Comment

Pre-ordered Harari's latest, hard to live up to Sapiens and Homo Deus but must be worth a read

Comment

I've been getting great enjoyment out of listening to Stephen Fry reading the entire catalogue of Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels. Have heard most if not all of them before but they are like putting on an old hoodie or something, very pleasant and comfortable.

Have a couple of flights coming up in the next few days so hopefully will have the chance to listen to some other stuff. I have Homo Deus on my phone, I presume that is well regarded?

I also got the Jordan Peterson 12 Rules for Life one just for the sake of trying to grasp who this fella is and why everyone is so exercised by him but I have a feeling for some reason (without knowing almost anything about it admittedly) that it's going to be crap.

Comment

On the back of the Castle Rock tv show I'm revisiting some old stephen king books on my commute.
                                                                                                  Like slipping into an old pair of slippers.
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I've been getting great enjoyment out of listening to Stephen Fry reading the entire catalogue of Sherlock Holmes short stories and novels. Have heard most if not all of them before but they are like putting on an old hoodie or something, very pleasant and comfortable.

Have a couple of flights coming up in the next few days so hopefully will have the chance to listen to some other stuff. I have Homo Deus on my phone, I presume that is well regarded?

I also got the Jordan Peterson 12 Rules for Life one just for the sake of trying to grasp who this fella is and why everyone is so exercised by him but I have a feeling for some reason (without knowing almost anything about it admittedly) that it's going to be crap.
                                                                                                    Homo Deus is definitely worth it. I was immediately turned off Peterson by the title of the opening chapter "Stand up straight with your shoulders back".

I read maybe 3 chapters(rules) and put it down, maybe you'll enjoy it but I didn't like it, will probably finish it eventually though.

I'm reading Hitch 22 ATM, it's quite enjoyable thus far.

How many audible books are you listening to a month? 7.99 a month for membership and one book?
                                                                                                    Last edited by Guest; 24-08-18, 11:35.

Comment

I've finished off that 10 book series over the last few weeks, these last 6:

The Courts of Chaos
                                                                                                      Trumps of Doom
                                                                                                      Blood of Amber
                                                                                                      Sign of Chaos
                                                                                                      Knight of Shadows
                                                                                                      Prince of Chaos

It's a pity the series ends there.
                                                                                                      I'm now on that Why We Sleep book. Not sure what's after that. Must do Homo Deus and his new book. Have those Sherlock books to get through too.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-08-18, 11:54.

Comment

I've finished:

The Courts of Chaos
                                                                                                        Trumps of Doom
                                                                                                        Blood of Amber
                                                                                                        Sign of Chaos
                                                                                                        Knight of Shadows
                                                                                                        Prince of Chaos

I'm now on that Why We Sleep book. Not sure what's after that. Must do Homo Deus and his new book. Have those Sherlock books to get through too.
                                                                                                        You might enjoy this:

Recommended by Patrick Collison and it's on my next list.

Also Peter Singer's https://www.bookdepository.com/Ethic.../9780691178479

I mentioned David Deutschs as my next to buy as well as

Comment

I've finished off that 10 book series over the last few weeks, these last 6:

The Courts of Chaos
                                                                                                          Trumps of Doom
                                                                                                          Blood of Amber
                                                                                                          Sign of Chaos
                                                                                                          Knight of Shadows
                                                                                                          Prince of Chaos

Read or audio? Did you find any decent versions of the last five if audio?

Comment

I don't think there's anything objectionable about his book, even his biggest detractors could only really have an issue with 2-3 pages of it (I think), it's really just a compilation of sage advice from the ages about getting yourself together and being a useful human being.

Comment

Could save time and just read the Quora answer that led to the book

Jordan B Peterson's answer: Tell the truth. Do not do things that you hate. Act so that you can tell the truth about how you act. Pursue what is meaningful, not what is expedient. If you have to choose, be the one who does things, instead of the one who is seen to do things. Pay attention. Ass...

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                                You might enjoy this:

Recommended by Patrick Collison and it's on my next list.

Also Peter Singer's https://www.bookdepository.com/Ethic.../9780691178479

I mentioned David Deutschs as my next to buy as well as

https://www.bookdepository.com/Scale.../9781780225593
                                                                                                                They all sound great thanks! I need a lifetime just for books. The only Singer book I have read thus far is "The Most Good You Can Do: How Effective Altruism Is Changing Ideas About Living Ethically" which I enjoyed/found useful.

Read or audio? Did you find any decent versions of the last five if audio?
                                                                                                                Just used the Audible Wil Wheaton versions and he's nowhere near as good as Zelazny. It's quite disconcerting hearing characters read differently. His voice for the Logrus is inspired though. Felt the ending was weird, and the ending story in general. Good books though.

I'll get Zelazny's reading of the last 5 some day (if they all exist) and let you in on them.
                                                                                                                I'm not sure I'm into the prequel that is written by another author.

Comment

Could save time and just read the Quora answer that led to the book

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-m...cfba&srid=KMSO
                                                                                                                  Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.
                                                                                                                  I'm halfway to being a complete human being!

Comment

As an avid fantasy reader, I am surprised it took me so long to open the Harry Potter series. The kindle unlimited for 3 months free offer came along, I downloaded the lot and I am currently on Goblet of Fire.

They are better than I thought, thoroughly enjoying them.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Not sure why I found this so enjoyable, but it was that. Great nighttime reading. Presume The Martian is a lot more serious and potentially depressing?
                                                                                                                          Not really, a very enjoyable read. Really enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X