Folding when raise is announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding when raise is announced

Is it alright to fold when someone announces raise before they actually say how much the raise is or does it give an unfair advantage to the player knowing theres less people to get through.
    Im not saying i want to be sble to do this but it came up at the cpt few weeks and was just wondering the general thoughts on it.

Originally posted by Irish Iron View Post
    Is it alright to fold when someone announces raise before they actually say how much the raise is or does it give an unfair advantage to the player knowing theres less people to get through.
    Im not saying i want to be sble to do this but it came up at the cpt few weeks and was just wondering the general thoughts on it.
    If it's your turn to act i don't see why not?

Comment

In a multi-way pot it does confer an advantage to the betting player knowing he has to get through 3 rather than 4 players and so forth.

It's pretty much an etiquette thing though as any hard and fast rule would be ridiculous and very hard to enforce. Better to just let the player know it's frowned upon and ask him to not do it in future.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

the one that really annoys me is 3 players to see a flop, first player folds when flop is turned.........it's really bad etiquette & imo should be seen as acting out of turn as it gives a huge advantage to one of the other players

Comment

The bit I have highlighted. You are giving extra information to the aggressor.

Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post
          It's not your turn to act until the amount is announced or the chips go in the pot.
          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Its player specific i feel, some people will just insta muck, me i generally wait till the raise is announced. But i don't think its the worst in the world when people fold quickly.
            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

If heads up then it is obviously ok, but in a multi way pot it really is an etiquette thing. It's not the worst, but not great either.

Comment

Originally posted by kakak1 View Post
                the one that really annoys me is 3 players to see a flop, first player folds when flop is turned.........it's really bad etiquette & imo should be seen as acting out of turn as it gives a huge advantage to one of the other players
                Dont see how it gives any more of an advantage to one player over another tbh.

OP, personally I just wait till the amount is announced, for the same reason people have said, knowing your bet only has to get through 3 rather than 4 players means they can adjust their bet size accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                  Dont see how it gives any more of an advantage to one player over another tbh.
                  OP, personally I just wait till the amount is announced, for the same reason people have said, knowing your bet only has to get through 3 rather than 4 players means they can adjust their bet size accordingly.
                  You have more or less answered this in your second statement. It gives free information to the next player to act in knowing he now only has one player to worry about which imo is huge in a big pot with a marginal holding.

Comment

I would never do it post-flop but I don't see all that big a problem doing it if the player beside you has a standard raise but is slow at counting their chips. Coming to think of it, I only do it if I'm dying to go to the toilet!

Comment

I got told off for doing this last week. I was on the big blind. Four callers. Flop comes and small blind announces "Raise". While he was getting his chips together to put in I folded. The dealer gave out to me which is fair enough I suppose as the small blind hadn't announced how much he was raising by.

Comment

You have more or less answered this in your second statement. It gives free information to the next player to act in knowing he now only has one player to worry about which imo is huge in a big pot with a marginal holding.
                        Yes, but no more than the player who is last to act knows he only has to get through one player too.

Comment

I remember Oz posting that this was really bugging him so I made sure I only ever did it in hands that involved him.

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                          I would never do it post-flop but I don't see all that big a problem doing it if the player beside you has a standard raise but is slow at counting their chips. Coming to think of it, I only do it if I'm dying to go to the toilet!
                          You can't go to the jacks unless he gets a caller.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by SSP View Post
                            I got told off for doing this last week. I was on the big blind. Four callers. Flop comes and small blind announces "Raise". While he was getting his chips together to put in I folded. The dealer gave out to me which is fair enough I suppose as the small blind hadn't announced how much he was raising by.
                            That's another thing that annoys me. Palyers who are first to act post flop saying Raise. I don't know why it annoys me but it does. It is not a raise when you have the option to check imo.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                              That's another thing that annoys me. Palyers who are first to act post flop saying Raise. I don't know why it annoys me but it does. It is not a raise when you have the option to check imo.
                              I was gonna say this too but didnt wanna bring it up but now that you mentioned il have to agree it tilts me too

Comment

Originally posted by MrStuffins View Post
                                For reasons above, two well known dublin players do this a lot. (not going to name them, but one of them won't be news to most regs).
                                Or when making the fold, they pretend its a monster lay down to encourage naive or new players to fold for their mate.

It annoys the hell out of me when people do it. But most of the time I let it pass as if they aren't aware of the info they are giving out by doing this, then chances are they are giving out other useful info. +EV overall

*Makes note to use this to tilt you in future

While we are getting it off our chest, I opened the betting post flop with a 1k chip, blinds 100/200.
                                Know it all gets in a strop and says its only 200 as I never said raise (which I didn't). Accused me of not knowing the rules and/or cheating when I politely pointed out that I was the first to act.
                                It would of tilted me if I wasn't laughing at him for the rest of the night.

Comment

i hate when people leave the table with thier cards still there and action no where near them, happens alot too from all kinds of player

Comment

that annoys the life out of me!!!!! i thought i was being fussy but nice to know its just me it irritates! i have often said(in quite a condecending voice "its bet not raise,how can you raise something that isnt there"

Comment

Originally posted by liz:) View Post
                                      that annoys the life out of me!!!!! i thought i was being fussy but nice to know its just me it irritates! i have often said(in quite a condecending voice "its bet not raise,how can you raise something that isnt there"
                                      Technically your raising the size of the pot in the middle.
                                      However!

the correct term is BET WOOOPPPPP
                                      Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

Originally posted by BrianByrne View Post
                                        Technically your raising the size of the pot in the middle.
                                        However!

the correct term is BET WOOOPPPPP
                                        *Faceplam*

No you're not. You making a bet, it costs nothing to continue at the minute, you are making a bet.

You aren't raising the pot ffs. This is even stupider than if you said you were raising the bet from $0 to $20

Comment

This^
                                          Disaster - Dreamcrusher

Comment

I dont really see a problem with this. like where 3 guys limp into your big blind and you check with your bag of spanners. If the flop comes 3 broadway cards and your first to act sometimes i'll just fling them in because i dont trust myself not to do something stupid!! your not giving out "free information" imo
                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by the aul switcharoo View Post
                                              I dont really see a problem with this. like where 3 guys limp into your big blind and you check with your bag of spanners. If the flop comes 3 broadway cards and your first to act sometimes i'll just fling them in because i dont trust myself not to do something stupid!! your not giving out "free information" imo
                                              Yes you are. If the second player to act bets, the 3rd lad knows you are not about to check raise so has more freedom to take the pot away from the opener in this case.

Comment

Or, the second player checks abnd the third knows that he doesn't have to get through you.

It doesn't affect you, but it affect others. And could be used to collude

Comment

It also does affect you because if you check instead of folding in a future spot like that it doesn't take a genius to now figure that you caught at least a little something and may be looking to continue with either a call or a raise if someone bets
                                                  "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Hmmm. i'll take yere points on board then. But when if i donk off a heap of chips in a small blind bluff im blamin ye
                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

i think u know the answer already
                                                      if its just u and the bettor, then its fine
                                                      however if there is a multiple of players then clearly this is givinng an unfair adv to the bettor
                                                      while it aint against the rules, its bad form
                                                      i havent seen a book on poker fair play or etiquette, but if you find one, read it

now dont do it again

kamal
                                                      we live in nice caves. does that mean we should wear beards and robes ?

Comment

Working...
                                                      X