JJ 1/2/5 cash game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JJ 1/2/5 cash game

I only play recreationally about once a month so go easy on me ! Just wanted to check how badly I played this the other night.

Bought in for € 100 and after 5-6 hours had luckboxed it up to € 500. Had been in going home after the next hand mode for a while.

I straddle for € 5 and next to act raises to € 30. He has been tight enough but over betting when he does play. Folded around to big blind who goes all in for € 70. He is tilting after being rivered a couple of times in the last few hands.

Original raiser has € 300 behind. Pretty sure I'm ahead of small blind but if I call the € 70 there's a good chance the € 300 goes in.

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
    I only play recreationally about once a month so go easy on me ! Just wanted to check how badly I played this the other night.

Bought in for € 100 and after 5-6 hours had luckboxed it up to € 500. Had been in going home after the next hand mode for a while.

I straddle for € 5 and next to act raises to € 30. He has been tight enough but over betting when he does play. Folded around to big blind who goes all in for € 70. He is tilting after being rivered a couple of times in the last few hands.

Original raiser has € 300 behind. Pretty sure I'm ahead of small blind but if I call the € 70 there's a good chance the € 300 goes in.
    I think that your read here says there's a pretty good chance you are at best flipping. Fold and leave.

Comment

What is your hand??

Sorry, I just saw JJ in the title. Yep, get up and leave. GG WP etc.
      Last edited by dobby; 03-06-14, 10:56.

Comment

Shove your winning 400 most you can lose in the hand is 300 profit either way.
        Original raiser might fold gamb@@@@@L.

Comment

you've answered your own question mate, "orginal raiser tight, over betting when he has it" he obvioulsy dosent like playing post a lot, or wants to charge a lot for his holdings, either one, imo opinion its going in! If I'm correct he's utg+1 yea? He;s not raising there with anything worse than QQ+ with how you've described him, our JJ very rarely good here, at worst flipping v AK, which isnt the worst but thats at worst and most likely the bottom of this guys range utg+1, hope you made the right decision folded cashed out and didnt give back the money???? If ya did ul, ya gotta make mistakes to learn gl
          take sweets from strangers, lose everything!

Comment

Originally posted by 4ofakind1489 View Post
            you've answered your own question mate, "orginal raiser tight, over betting when he has it" he obvioulsy dosent like playing post a lot, or wants to charge a lot for his holdings, either one, imo opinion its going in! If I'm correct he's utg+1 yea? He;s not raising there with anything worse than QQ+ with how you've described him, our JJ very rarely good here, at worst flipping v AK, which isnt the worst but thats at worst and most likely the bottom of this guys range utg+1, hope you made the right decision folded cashed out and didnt give back the money???? If ya did ul, ya gotta make mistakes to learn gl
            Add me on skype need loots quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearbocht View Post
              Add me on skype need loots quick.
              huh? lol skypes on my page add

Comment

Originally posted by 4ofakind1489 View Post
                I thought long and hard about it. He was very erratic . Buying in about 6 times with € 50 each time . Not playing many hands but pushing most times he did bet, sometimes pushing € 45 into a € 8 pot. He hadnt had to show many hands , got done by AA when he had KK and had won his stack with house over house.e

Anyway flop came JKK-A-Q . BB turns over A 10 for a straight and utg +1 mucks . He said if I called or raised he was shoving. Wouldn't say what he had but could have only been a middle pair / AQ ?
                Last edited by horatio1; 03-06-14, 11:31. Reason: Turn was an ace

Comment

I thought long and hard about it. He was very erratic . Buying in about 6 times with € 50 each time . Not playing many hands but pushing most times he did bet, sometimes pushing € 45 into a € 8 pot. He hadnt had to show many hands , got done by AA when he had KK and had won his stack with house over house.

Anyway flop came JKK-8-Q . BB turns over A 10 for a straight and utg +1 mucks . He said if I called or raised he was shoving. Wouldn't say what he had but could have only been a middle pair / AQ ?
                  nah highly doubt its AQ he said if you raise he's shoving, unless he's poor, i'd imagine he knows AQ never good here, obv looking at board he didnt have QQ KK AA, he would of said AA if he had it, looking like only can have 1010/99 now really, unless hes been tight to build from his small buying maybe and trying to spin with worse, but long run, Its defo the right fold v the way you've described villian utg+1, poxy runout obv would have been nice pot but ya cant be results orientated

Comment

slightly changes thing now, only noticed you changed the turn lol

Comment

only possible hand to put him on now is 99, possible AQ but doubt it, given what he said, ok if you flat he can shove possibly, but if you raise, i'm snap folding AQ as you'l only burn money there

Comment

Almost certain more experienced guys with cash games will prob be able to look into this more but just my 2c anyway

Comment

Huh? Someone raises a straddle and we're immediately putting him on jj+?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                            He has already described villian to be tight and although taking a few down without showdown, hands he had seen he's been quite strong, I dont see tight fellas utg+1 raising a stradde very much to be quite honest without been super strong, I have said Cash wouldnt be my strongest game tho and was just my 2c, been an mtt with € converted to stack sizes, its going in, but be inclined to fold here just given ors image thats all. Maybe I'm way off, just giving my thoughts

Comment

Don't straddle, is just a useless waste of money and decreases the amount of postflop room for manouver (especially if the game is not particularly deep), which is where the biggest mistakes are made. Now fold.
                              "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Don't call the 70, shove.

Comment

Thanks for replies all. Prob another month before playing again and plus € 400 is a pretty good night out for me . Wasn't straddling when I bought in but 80% of table were so when I was biggest stack started doing it for the last hour.

Nice to get the views of full time players but with about 30 mins play left I decided to take the decent profit thinking he was a lot stronger than it turned out. If it's earlier in the night I most likely gamble which is crazy thinking if your playing regularly and have a bank roll etc.

Comment

In the Fitz the other night and they were playing an occasional Mississippi straddle. BB (second to act pre after SB fold) pots it, he gets re raised somewhere and calls. Lots of cash goes in on a 2 5 x flop and in the end BB takes the pot with his 52o

Who says the game is dead
                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

They have a Mississippi straddle there now? I must start playing live again!
                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 03-06-14, 21:11.

Comment

Maybe had yourself as villain.
                                        It seems everyone who posted wants to lock up the profit nothing wrong with that.

Also if you want unbiased answers dont post details of the flop as it can distort peoples replys.

Comment

They have a Mississippi straddle there now? I must start more playing live again!
                                          Only played 20 mins last monday before the donkament and its interesting.
                                          Never played with it before and f off people discouraging straddles only way to get some people to put 5 er into the pot then tilt when its 40 back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearbocht View Post
                                            Maybe had yourself as villain.
                                            It seems everyone who posted wants to lock up the profit nothing wrong with that.

Also if you want unbiased answers dont post details of the flop as it can distort peoples replys.

Thanks FB wasn't sure how long to leave it and 4ofakind asked what I did , I presume he just meant my action and not to post to flop, apologies.

Comment

[/B]

Thanks FB wasn't sure how long to leave it and 4ofakind asked what I did , I presume he just meant my action and not to post to flop, apologies.
                                              No need to apologise at all and its good posting up hands bit of debate can only help.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
                                                Don't straddle, is just a useless waste of money and decreases the amount of postflop room for manouver (especially if the game is not particularly deep), which is where the biggest mistakes are made. Now fold.
                                                If people sit down to play a €1-€2 game and you get them playing a €2-€5 game with the straddle this is nearly always a good thing.

They have a Mississippi straddle there now? I must start more playing live again!
                                                Mississippi straddle is not a good addition in my opinion - it puts the blinds at such a huge disadvantage. Also its very seldom that someone re- straddles from the cut-off.

Ive never played v a player who's opening range utg is QQ+. Im skeptical that he even exists. Thats not to say i always play JJ here. Sometimes you just dont fancy a hand and fold it.
                                                twitter
                                                moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                                                  Mississippi straddle is not a good addition in my opinion - it puts the blinds at such a huge disadvantage.
                                                  How does that make it bad?

Comment

How does that make it bad?
                                                    The blinds are now out of position for all three rounds of betting.
                                                    In a normal game if a player opens and gets more than one caller the blinds will often come in thinking they have some sort of "value".
                                                    When the Mississippi is in play the blinds nearly always fold.
                                                    Also nobody ever seems to re-straddle a Mississippi straddle.
                                                    Ive played with both and I think the normal straddle makes for a better game.
                                                    twitter
                                                    moneybookers

Comment

Getting to play an inflated pot in position >>>>>>> everything else though.

Comment

If playing a normal straddle you'll play bigger pots in position and you'll have the blinds wasting more money too.
                                                        twitter
                                                        moneybookers

Comment

Actually give me one advantage of a Mississippi straddle over a regular straddle if your on the button?
                                                          twitter
                                                          moneybookers

Comment

If playing a normal straddle you'll play bigger pots in position and you'll have the blinds wasting more money too.
                                                            how you r in position with a normal straddle, on the blinds yeah, but oop on every1 else
                                                            isnt it more of an advantage to play bigger pots on button all the time

Comment

Actually give me one advantage of a Mississippi straddle over a regular straddle if your on the button?
                                                              if you have strong players to your left, you will get them out of the pot more pre flop with a mississippi straddle.

Comment

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
                                                                how you r in position with a normal straddle, on the blinds yeah, but oop on every1 else
                                                                isnt it more of an advantage to play bigger pots on button all the time
                                                                Originally posted by mugsy View Post
                                                                if you have strong players to your left, you will get them out of the pot more pre flop with a mississippi straddle.

You guys are misreading what I'm saying.
                                                                My point is the game is better over all if everyone is straddling and doing so in the normal utg position.
                                                                twitter
                                                                moneybookers

Comment

Been a year since I played this game, but can't imagine ever folding this here. 100% calling the 70, I think in the Fitz game you can perhaps even justify calling 70 and folding if your man bangs in his 300 squid.

Comment

You guys are misreading what I'm saying.
                                                                    My point is the game is better over all if everyone is straddling and doing so in the normal utg position.
                                                                    I agree that a game is better without a mississippi straddle, have found that games tend to tighten up a lot whenever there's a mississippi on which is never going to be a good thing. Don't agree that all games are better with a straddle though, it's very frustrating to be sitting in a shallow game and having most people straddle as it will reduce your edge in the game.
                                                                    Last edited by JamieCarra; 04-06-14, 12:38.

Comment

You're in position pre-flop and post flop?
                                                                      You also don't have to rely on someone else to straddle.

Comment

You're in position pre-flop and post flop?
                                                                        You also don't have to rely on someone else to straddle.

In most of the games i play people are either putting out the straddle or nobody is.
                                                                        When everyone is straddling I think its a better game when its a normal utg straddle.
                                                                        If your the only one straddling in the game your burning money even if its a mississippi.
                                                                        I have no way of backing this up with figures its just my opinion after spending hours playing in both type of games.
                                                                        twitter
                                                                        moneybookers

Comment

Originally posted by JamieCarra View Post
                                                                          I agree that a game is better without a mississippi straddle, have found that games tend to tighten up a lot whenever there's a mississippi on which is never going to be a good thing. Don't agree that all games are better with a straddle though, it's very frustrating to be sitting in a shallow game and having most people straddle as it will reduce your edge in the game.

Don't agree here at all. When everyone (or most even) start straddling then people stack off quicker. This obviously leads to reloads and a deeper bigger/better game much quicker.
                                                                          twitter
                                                                          moneybookers

Comment

The Mississipi Straddle is actually a straddle from any position at the table as opposed to a Button straddle which JP introduced at his card room. Great to hear the Fitz have introduced it. I think its particularly good in a pot limit game. I think a lot depends on the table dynamic and the standard of play. I like the idea of the button straddle in that it allows us to isolate in position. Playing an UTG straddle, we will often find ourselves playing bloated pots out of position. In general though, I think straddles are good for the game and drive the action.

Comment

#39
                                                                              Is it a full mississippi straddle in the fitz or JPs button straddle ?.Straddles are great for a game if most or all players straddle although in the club here we would have maybe 5 regular straddlers which add a kick to the hand their in.The other thing is I always think they should be live right back to the button ;-)
                                                                              Last edited by Atlantispoker; 11-06-14, 09:45.
                                                                              Atlantis Events Beat The Boss Saturday 7th Mar @5pm €5,000 Gtd The Dolmen Carlow

Comment

Working...
                                                                              X