No announcement yet.

Clothes make the man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone recommend somewhere to get a pair of jeans hemmed? In or around Ranelagh preferably. Presume it won't set me back a whole heap?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      Anyone recommend somewhere to get a pair of jeans hemmed? In or around Ranelagh preferably. Presume it won't set me back a whole heap?
      there's a dressmaker/tailor in Rathmines above the Barber Shop (Abrakebabra's neighbour) across the road from the Garda Station.

No idea of the name, think it has 'stitch' in the title. It's just a woman working out of a flat. She's your woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        there's a dressmaker/tailor in Rathmines above the Barber Shop (Abrakebabra's neighbour) across the road from the Garda Station.

No idea of the name, think it has 'stitch' in the title. It's just a woman working out of a flat. She's your woman.
        Perfect, tyty

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
          So I ordered two of these shirts on Saturday. I got two pretty straightforward business shirts as a tryout. White and Blue

Obviously the shirts are to my exact specs and with full choices around cloth, collars, cuffs, pockets, monogramming etc. Richard (the owner of S&G) took about 20 measurements as part of the process but it was very quick.

Most of the half hour was spent looking at pictures of the factory on Richard's ipad and discussing how much outsourcing work they do for Saville row tailors who charge from 225 sterling for made to measure and 275 for fully bespoke and then the guys in Derry make the shirts. He also told me they sell 50% of their output to Japan mostly ready to wear casual shirts to the Fred Perry Laurel brand which are high end shops over there.

I have the option to get the collar and cuffs replaced on my shirts for free merely by posting them back to the factory. He said as a result business people get at least 4-5 years from their shirts wearing them regularly as you'd easily go through the collar and cuffs before you'd go through the body of the shirt. He washes and tumble drys his own shirts (and is a big guy) and reckons they'll stand up very well. (obviously ) I'll report back later on receipt of the shirts and let you know how they go.

The one thing I wasn't offered was a choice on buttons. I forgot to ask with all the other questions I was asking. I'll have to investigate the options there for future more elaborate/smart casual shirts. I'm assuming I'll get decent business type buttons on these particular shirts and I've gone for french cuffs so it isn't really a big issue in this case. I can always get the buttons replaced if needs be.

It was a very painless process and Richard and Derek were a pleasure to deal with. No hard selling and strictly advised away from the very fine clothes and more expensive options as they felt they wouldn't be up to working in on a regular basis. €150 each for the shirts. I paid a €100 deposit and I'll pay the rest on collection from BT. Future shirts can be ordered directly obviously and my pattern will be left on file or I can be remeasured if I so wish.

The guys do two days in BT 2-3 times a year measuring customers and promoting their ready to wear stuff with the BT staff. The BT own brand shirts are now also made by S&G.

Richard said it's no problem if anyone wants to call in to the factory in Derry during the work week to check it out. The pictures look really cool as it's built on a disused railway platform and everything is done by hand. The staff have been making shirts for years.

Derek the manager of their shop in Belfast was also in BT and he was a lovely guy. I'll probably hit the Belfast shop in December on a pre Xmas trip.

Their website is about to be relaunched. Actually it's overdue so Richard is kicking the developers ass at the mo. Should be live by the end of the week for those who want to check out their work in more detail.

Another made to measure option I hope to check out over the next while are these guys. If anyone has used them I'd love to hear about your expereince.

That's it for now I decided to post up my experience to date rather than forgetting about it later and not posting anything.
          Small update:

Shirts received. Approx 5 week turnaround. They look every bit as sharp as I'd hoped.

Not ridiculously fitted and very comfortable.

Very pleased with the quality and feel of the material.

As business shirts they are perfect. For trying out other "racier" options you'd need to be purchasing some evening wear shirts or working in London I think.

Pretty happy overall but the longevity will be the real decider on future purchases. So far so good but ask me again in 12 months time.

If they last 3 times as long as a €50 shirt then it's an absolute bargain, as they look way better.

If they last twice as long then it's a worthwhile trade off. Right now I can't see them failing to last at least that length but I'll have to wait and see. Also, the upfront investment may put people of, but if you have a justification for getting one than I'd recommend that you try it out. There was certainly no pressure to buy more then one as an intro.

It would actually make a lovely gift for your Dad to get him one made......
          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Can someone tell me if there is a Barbour outlet in brown Thomas or elsewhere in Dublin city centre.
            location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser soze View Post
              Can someone tell me if there is a Barbour outlet in brown Thomas or elsewhere in Dublin city centre.
              Yes there is.

Clerys have a whole section and there is a place on Nassau street on the corner of Dawson st and Nassau st that does a lot of traditional Irish clothes and Barbour stuff.

Also BT2 might have a few bits.

Personally I was looking for a wax jacket (specifically from the Steve McQueen collection with Barbour) but I couldn't get one I was happy with so I ended up getting a wax/leather type jacket in Genius. Which is in the Powerscourt shopping centre. You should check them out as well.
              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Thats great thank u.
                location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  Lets say you had a pretty expensive off the peg suit and you are now 2 sizes smaller. What options are there for getting it altered? I suspect it would be difficult?
                  I brought two off the peg suits into a place in Ennis today which is highly recommended for tailoring and alterations. They seemed happy enough that it could be done, measured me up wearing the suit, used dozens of pins on the jacket and pants. Showed me after what they planned to do and it seems quite a complicated job, the pants are basically being reconstructed and the jacket is being cut down along all seams and the shoulders. as yourself the suit is about 2-3 sizes too big at present.

She said it would be €200 for the two suits which seems plenty, but it they do a good job and it means I will get further use out of good, pretty new suits I would consider it money well spent.

I'll report back once I have them collected.
                  Last edited by NewApproach; 20-11-12, 22:17.

Comment

Anyone know where you can buy Scandinavian clothes in Dublin? Bought my kids some very nice jumpers etc but have never seen adult versions here. Any good websites would also be appreciated.

All the department stores here seem to tick off their US\UK brands with the odd Italian or German brand included, would be nice to have some more access to Euro-wear.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

how would one identify them?
                      I don't really know to express it as I am far from being a fashionista as you know but there is definitely a Scandi 'look' that is quite cool and well-designed. I've only been to Stockholm and Copenhagen a couple of times but was impressed with the quality and style. Not just clothes btw, they are obsessed with design over there.

Maybe one of our more sartorially-aware posters can elucidate it better.

Comment

In fairness there's no shortage of H&M shops around

Comment

This review of Swedish online fashion options might be a good jumping off point.

Comment

Can anyone suggest appropriate attire for working in a financial setting ( state st ).

I mean call me naive but i assumed a suit pants and nice jumper with a shirt would be ok but someone else suggested it's a no go.

Shirt and tie with suit pants im been told. Im not really sure the type of shirts i should be looking for and where to look for them. I dont intend on breaking the bank with the budget as we are not exactly been payed a huge amount.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.
                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Exclusively handmade by expert Italian artisans that combine traditional excellence with original new designs. These black and caramel oxford shoes are embellished by detailed cut-outs and a wing-tip finish. Handmade in Italy. (Featured in the opening credits of Boardwalk Empire)
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                Can anyone suggest appropriate attire for working in a financial setting ( state st ).

I mean call me naive but i assumed a suit pants and nice jumper with a shirt would be ok but someone else suggested it's a no go.

Shirt and tie with suit pants im been told. Im not really sure the type of shirts i should be looking for and where to look for them. I dont intend on breaking the bank with the budget as we are not exactly been payed a huge amount.

Really depends on the setting. I don't think you have to go balls out Gordon
                                Gekko on it unless of course you're Gordon Gekko. For a limited budget try http://www.bestsmenswear.com/about.htm

The most important thing is that the clothes actually fit you. You'd be surprised at the amount of candidates who turn up for an interview in a comedy suit. I shake their hand and welcome them but am really thinking "You C@nt".

Dressing for the occasion is vitally important so never give someone ammunition to destroy your credibility,reputation or chances of promotion because YOU breezed into the office in a Jedward suit.

So assuming you have a decent pair of shoes lets go through a €100 budget. (Pennys)
                                5 X Assorted (Non Jedward) Shirts €50
                                5 X Assorted ties (Regular not skinny as above) €25
                                2 X Formal Slacks (See above) €25 Go for discreet pinstripes and avoid that nasty stuff that makes you look like a hotel porter or anything polyester.

In fact I think we should ban the use of the word polyester from this thread.

Comment

V4V - cedar trees - where to buy?
                                  Amazon? About $30

Comment

V4V - cedar trees - where to buy?
                                    Please see my shoe post earlier in the thread as Ive already given my recommendation. I have made two bulk purchases from that company and I'm a very satisfied customer.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are they for work experience not primarily to earn money? If so make an impression every opportunity you get - and not in a bad way.

Be clean shaven and washed everyday.

Make sure your clothes are clean and pressed and fit well.

Wear your tie correctly and don't have your shirt hanging out.

Have clean shoes. It costs nothing to have them right. It speaks volumes about you if you don't.

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                      Really depends on the setting. I don't think you have to go balls out Gordon
                                      Gekko on it unless of course you're Gordon Gekko. For a limited budget try http://www.bestsmenswear.com/about.htm

The most important thing is that the clothes actually fit you. You'd be surprised at the amount of candidates who turn up for an interview in a comedy suit. I shake their hand and welcome them but am really thinking "You C@nt".

Dressing for the occasion is vitally important so never give someone ammunition to destroy your credibility,reputation or chances of promotion because YOU breezed into the office in a Jedward suit.

So assuming you have a decent pair of shoes lets go through a €100 budget. (Pennys)
                                      5 X Assorted (Non Jedward) Shirts €50
                                      5 X Assorted ties (Regular not skinny as above) €25
                                      2 X Formal Slacks (See above) €25 Go for discreet pinstripes and avoid that nasty stuff that makes you look like a hotel porter or anything polyester.

In fact I think we should ban the use of the word polyester from this thread.
                                      Good advice from a pro but spend a little more then 100 if you can afford it at all. It's an investment in your future earning potential after all. GL.

Comment

Thanks for the input lads i probably wont go that low budget isnow. I have purchased a good suit pants for €75 and i may try pick one up for a bit cheaper.

I probably would have went for 2 ties is 5 a must? Not that it matters monetary wise.

Im on the phone so i cant check the link out but i will do. Shirts are my big issue i just get confused as to what i should be buying. I may just buy 1 or 2 in a shop where i can get help and pick up the rest in penneys and then upgrade as the year goes on.
                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Thanks for the input lads i probably wont go that low budget isnow. I have purchased a good suit pants for €75 and i may try pick one up for a bit cheaper.

I probably would have went for 2 ties is 5 a must? Not that it matters monetary wise.

Im on the phone so i cant check the link out but i will do. Shirts are my big issue i just get confused as to what i should be buying. I may just buy 1 or 2 in a shop where i can get help and pick up the rest in penneys and then upgrade as the year goes on.
                                          At least two pairs of pants is imperative.

You don't need 5 ties but if you want them to last I usually keep a few in rotation as they never iron well. I always try to hang them as soon as I get home to keep them in shape. This also provides colleagues with the opportunity to gamble on which one you will wear on any given day. Tie patterns are a funny thing. What seemed fashionable 4 years ago would make me puke today. You can never go wrong with a solid plain design.

Regarding shirts Paul Costello does a range in Dunnes of all places. I like the double cuff option but it's not for everyone. (Cufflinks and typing don't mix). Cuts are slick and they iron well. http://dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=...s=16&__pg_pg=1

You can probably try on a few there with a tie to check your necksize. Remember your gonna wear this badboy for about 10 hours a day (14 in my case) so it's gotta be comfortable. For Gods sake learn to iron everything properly. There's plenty of stuff on youtube in this regard or failing that find someone to do it for you..properly.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but you are they for work experience not primarily to earn money? If so make an impression every opportunity you get - and not in a bad way.

Be clean shaven and washed everyday.

Make sure your clothes are clean and pressed and fit well.

Wear your tie correctly and don't have your shirt hanging out.

Have clean shoes. It costs nothing to have them right. It speaks volumes about you if you don't.

Good advice from a pro but spend a little more then 100 if you can afford it at all. It's an investment in your future earning potential after all. GL.
                                            Ya id be pretty ok from a keeping myself well grommed. I could not believe the state of some of the lads who done interviews i mean there was no hope anyone could hire them.

At least two pairs of pants is imperative.

You don't need 5 ties but if you want them to last I usually keep a few in rotation as they never iron well. I always try to hang them as soon as I get home to keep them in shape. This also provides colleagues with the opportunity to gamble on which one you will wear on any given day. Tie patterns are a funny thing. What seemed fashionable 4 years ago would make me puke today. You can never go wrong with a solid plain design.

Regarding shirts Paul Costello does a range in Dunnes of all places. I like the double cuff option but it's not for everyone. (Cufflinks and typing don't mix). Cuts are slick and they iron well. http://dunnesstores.ie/page.php?pid=...s=16&__pg_pg=1

You can probably try on a few there with a tie to check your necksize. Remember your gonna wear this badboy for about 10 hours a day (14 in my case) so it's gotta be comfortable. For Gods sake learn to iron everything properly. There's plenty of stuff on youtube in this regard or failing that find someone to do it for you..properly.
                                            Ha Ironing i dont know the plan would be the mother would be having a busy Friday night/saturday morning if truth be told.

Il definitely check out that range in Dunnes in the next day or so. I would have had an opinion prior to this that i shouldnt be buying work clothes in Dunnes/Penneys. I guess maybe this just stems from not been willing to socialise in clothes bought there.

One quick thing the next trouser pants was going to be grey for variation. Is this ok? If so are black shoes ok with a grey pants or should i indulge in brown shoes?

Thanks again im fairly clueless on this front.
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Ha Ironing i dont know the plan would be the mother would be having a busy Friday night/saturday morning if truth be told.

Il definitely check out that range in Dunnes in the next day or so. I would have had an opinion prior to this that i shouldnt be buying work clothes in Dunnes/Penneys. I guess maybe this just stems from not been willing to socialise in clothes bought there.

One quick thing the next trouser pants was going to be grey for variation. Is this ok? If so are black shoes ok with a grey pants or should i indulge in brown shoes?

Thanks again im fairly clueless on this front.
                                              As long as someone irons the shirts you'll be grand.
                                              I used to think that about Dunnes Shirts and only buy from their premium range or Costello range. If you find a branch with an abundance of premium shirts let me know as they go quickly.

Black with grey, definitely NOT brown as you're in knobjockey/Jedward territory here.

Which of these looks ok?
                                              Now look again and ask yourself the question "Will I cringe in 10 years time looking at a photo of me dressed like this?"

Comment

Ha ok just aswell i got the shoe advice so. If i do spot a branch il let ya know but it would most likely be a bit far for you to travel to. Thanks again.
                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Said id buy a few ties....then i check my email when i get home !

The dress code for State Street is business casual which means general office/business wear but no need for a full suit i.e. for guys you do not need a tie or suit jacket. The employee handbook that you will have received discusses the do’s and don’ts of the dress code in more detail. If you are in doubt as to what to wear it is better to be more formal than to be too casual.
                                                  I wont lose sleep for the price i paid for them. I picked up a shirt/tie combo in Dunnes for €25 they hadnt the good make you suggested they said try Cork. I also picked up a decent brand name shirt aswell no idea how much it cost but il assume €70ish. The start of the battle to dress me is on anyway.
                                                  Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Business Casual? Holy F@ck. Forget about not looking like Jedward. I think we've nailed that in previous posts.

With business casual you don't want to under do it or you'll look like Al Bundy. Equally if you over do it you can look like Carlton Banks...somewhere in between the two is fine.

*** You live Here ***

Anyway I'm sure you'll be fine

Comment

In an effort to keep this thread on life support I thought I'd link to two articles I enjoyed reading. Also in light of the end of winter and the beginning of an Irish spring/summer I thought these were timely. It's not exactly t-shirt weather.....

From Antonio and his "Real Men, Real Style" blog.

Waxed Cotton Jackets

and

Cardigans

I really got a laugh when I got to the end of the waxed jacket article when he mentioned he was going to buy this jacket which I had happened to buy last October. There is a first time for everything.....

Comment

I got my shoes re shod last week in Currans and they were returned with a shine that V4V would be envious of. Got me thinking of the possibility of purchasing an electrical shoe shiner. Anybody have one, I wondered about the issue of doing different colour shoes etc.

Amazon throws up a few options

this for £80

this on ebay

another option http://electricshoeshiner.com/
                                                        But what else would you be doing sat in front of the telly on a Sunday evening???

The easy shine looks interesting but you'd need to use different pads for different coloured shoes I'd have thought. No way around it.

Comment

Worth joining the freemasons just for the shoe shiners in their toilets, convenient for the fitz and aquarium too!
                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Tailors Mark review.

The above website offers MTM shirts online. The company is Australian and the stuff is made in the Far east and shipped to you. They are only 18 months or so old. So far, so risky sounding.

Anyway, after being spammed by Groupon for a while with vouchers offering a €90 shirt for €25 I decided I'd give them a spin as quality MTM shirts are pretty pricey and if I could get a template shirt produced cheaply I felt it might be worth a roll of the dice. I'm a degen at heart afterall.

Also I really think MTM shirts are a model for internet purchasing so I really wanted to give them a bit of support. MTM suits online I'm not so convinced about.

Anyway the measurement process was pretty easy once you have someone to help you with it. It takes about 5 minutes. They require sufficient measurements to be reassuring whilst not being over the top. Designing the shirt you want is actually the tricky part (as there is so much choice) but for a template shirt I kept it simple and used a standard cloth rather than going for something expensive. The website is very straightforward and simple to use.

I had to pay a bit for shipping and one or two other bits so the total cost was €45 for my template shirt including the cost of the voucher from groupon.

4 weeks later the shirt arrived in my post box delivered by An Post in an envelope and inside a cloth bag (so no traipsing to the sorting office required) and I was pretty pleased overall.

It was a decent quality shirt, with very acceptable cloth quality, with only one or two measurement tweaks required. The sleeves were a half inch too long and the watch cuff was 1/2 inch too big (my mistake in making it a 1 inch differential instead of 1/2 inch between the two cuffs). Also I'd gone for a slim fit but with no back darts but I require some back darts given how they shape the shirts.

I was pleased and the shirt is perfectly acceptable for smart casual wear. I recommend washing it once or twice before you confirm that the measurements are the ones you'd like to use in the future in light of expected slight shrinkage with the first few washes.

So once I'd road tested the template shirt I went and revised my online measurements slightly and then designed 2 more shirts using more expensive cloth, monogrammed initials on one, contrast thread on buttons and button holes, non standard buttons, an alternative colour on the inside of the collar and the inside of the placket, firmer than standard cuffs and collars. Let's just say there are a lot of options and it makes you think about what you like/dislike in shirts a lot more than you ever have before!!

I then saved the designs on the website and waited for more Groupon vouchers to become available. When they did I went and pulled the trigger on the 2 additional purchases.

Shirt 1. Effective cost €85

shirt 1.jpg

Details:

- Removable collar stays: Removable Collar Stays
                                                            - Tie: No Tie
                                                            - Handkerchief: Without Handkerchief
                                                            - Monogram: Left Cuff
                                                            - Button thread: Pink
                                                            - Outer Collar band: No contrast
                                                            - Outer button hole placket: No contrast
                                                            - Inner button hole placket: No contrast
                                                            - Collar Underside: No contrast
                                                            - Outer button placket: Redskin Pink
                                                            - Inner Cuff: Redskin Pink
                                                            - Outer Cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Inside Collar: Redskin Pink
                                                            - Outer Collar: No contrast
                                                            - Whole collar and cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Whole cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Whole collar: No contrast
                                                            - Inner collar and cuff: Redskin Pink
                                                            - Button hole: No contrast
                                                            - Epaulettes: No Epaulettes
                                                            - Back details: Side Darts
                                                            - Yoke back: Traditional
                                                            - Yoke front: Traditional
                                                            - Bottom cut: Modern
                                                            - Pocket: No Pocket
                                                            - Front darts: Front darts
                                                            - Fastening: No placket
                                                            - Button: Dark White
                                                            - Cuff stiffness: Stiff
                                                            - Cuff: French Round
                                                            - Collar height: Normal
                                                            - Collar stiffness: Stiff
                                                            - Collar: Standard Collar
                                                            - Fabric: Aluche
                                                            - Sleeves: Long Sleeve
                                                            - Body: Slim Fit

Shirt 2: Effective cost €75

shirt 2.jpg

Details

Removable collar stays: Removable Collar Stays
                                                            - Handkerchief: Without Handkerchief
                                                            - Tie: No Tie
                                                            - Monogram: Without Monogram
                                                            - Button thread: No contrast
                                                            - Outer Collar band: No contrast
                                                            - Outer button hole placket: No contrast
                                                            - Collar Underside: No contrast
                                                            - Inner button hole placket: No contrast
                                                            - Outer button placket: Redskin Pink
                                                            - Inner Cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Outer Cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Inside Collar: No contrast
                                                            - Outer Collar: No contrast
                                                            - Whole collar and cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Whole cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Whole collar: No contrast
                                                            - Inner collar and cuff: No contrast
                                                            - Button hole: No contrast
                                                            - Epaulettes: No Epaulettes
                                                            - Back details: Side Darts
                                                            - Yoke back: Traditional
                                                            - Yoke front: Traditional
                                                            - Bottom cut: Modern
                                                            - Pocket: No Pocket
                                                            - Front darts: Front darts
                                                            - Fastening: No placket
                                                            - Button: Dark White
                                                            - Cuff stiffness: Stiff
                                                            - Cuff: Double Button Round
                                                            - Collar height: Normal
                                                            - Collar stiffness: Stiff
                                                            - Collar: Standard Collar
                                                            - Fabric: Ambassador
                                                            - Body: Slim Fit
                                                            - Sleeves: Long Sleeve

They arrived within 3 weeks this time and I was delighted with them. One shirt cost €75 in total and the other cost €85.

The fit is very good and in particular on the shoulders, neck and arms which is the most important bit on shirts and being able to custom design the shirts and control almost every detail means you really have only yourself to blame if there is something about the shirt you don't like.

Since signing up to the website I now realise that they do a Groupon voucher every quarter. With the groupon voucher you get €90 of notional value for €25 and everything extra you pay full price for (€90 is there starting price for a shirt with delivery on top).

The alternative discount that they offer is a 50% discount once every quarter as well so if you are buying a shirt with more expensive cloth and making it more custom this is probably a better overall discount (the max spend is ~€170 if you push the boat out on everything so ~€85 with the discount).

Only 1 question left to answer so....

How do they compare to my Smith & Gibson (S&G) shirts?

The material they use is very good but not as good as S&G and the choice isn't as extensive. Plus I obviously can't touch the material online like I can by just going into BT and asking for the S&G cloth book.

The fit isn't quite as sharp as S&G but given that my body is always subtly changing and really there isn't that much in it once you've done a template shirt I'd call that a draw in practical terms.

They don't obviously offer the same after sales and free repair service as S&G but they are €85 (on discount) compared to €150. At full price S&G wins but S&G will never be cheaper than €150 and Tailors Mark will.

A Tailor's Mark shirt is more customisable then an S&G MTM shirt. To get the complete level of customisation with S&G you'd need to go bespoke which is another price level entirely.

If I was having a shirt made for my wedding, or attending black tie events, or a really sharp business shirt made I'd go S&G. Otherwise Tailors Mark for me as the discounted price is just too good and the quality differences not very wide between both manufacturers.

Anyway that's the review I promised and for the clothes horses out there they are doing a 50% discount this weekend if you use the discount code "summer50" at the checkout.
                                                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 26-07-13, 13:14.

Comment

I wonder if they're just using someone like modern tailor at a mark-up. They've 20 bucks off your first shirt

They used to do a $25 test shirt, I never got around to ordering anything further though.

edit: I see they see do the $20 trial shirt.
                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 26-07-13, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                I wonder if they're just using someone like modern tailor at a mark-up. They've 20 bucks off your first shirt

They used to do a $25 test shirt, I never got around to ordering anything further though.
                                                                You could well be right Denny. This is the problem with the internet stores you really have to try them out and see and hear genuinely independent reviews which is hard to get. I did research the company and read what reviews I could online and the feedback seemed to be good and nobody was suggesting what you say but what does that mean these days??

All I can say is I'm happy with the price I paid for the shirts I got. However, if I could get them even cheaper consistently then I'd be even happier.
                                                                Last edited by V for Vendetta; 26-07-13, 13:40.

Comment

shirt ordered - will let you know if it turns into an expensive shoe shine rag.
                                                                  Did you get the P.A. to measure you up in the office or what??

Comment

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet but http://www.fashionbeans.com aswell is good for mens stuff

Comment

Ricardo is in good shape.

Comment

I've been following this series of articles on getting a bespoke leather jacket made with interest on the permanent style blog.

The jacket is lovely and obviously fits perfectly but the price versus a very good RTW leather jacket is just crazy. £4,200!!

Irrespective of the price the series is an interesting read and quite educationally in terms of what you might look out for in a jacket when buying off the peg yourself in terms of your own personal style preferences.

Comment

For those interested, tailors mark deal is back on again - i'm considering going for it as have been updating the wardrobe recently and could do with a few new shirts. Also going to pick up some shoes in that shoe shop on old Hibernian way as recommended earlier in the thread.

Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Went into boylans in royal hibernian way and I am happy to say I came out with my first pair of proper, quality, shoes.
                                                                            Fantastic service as tom walked me through a few pairs of shoes before allowing me to buy. Were 310, but, on sale at 220 and im very happy with them. Polished up now (hope ive put enough on) and will leave a few days before wearing outside.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

#98
                                                                              I've been following this series of articles on getting a bespoke leather jacket made with interest on the permanent style blog.

The jacket is lovely and obviously fits perfectly but the price versus a very good RTW leather jacket is just crazy. £4,200!!

Irrespective of the price the series is an interesting read and quite educationally in terms of what you might look out for in a jacket when buying off the peg yourself in terms of your own personal style preferences.
                                                                              ah heorr were they short on models or what ffs

Should have got RD for the job

Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

#99
                                                                                Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                For those interested, tailors mark deal is back on again - i'm considering going for it as have been updating the wardrobe recently and could do with a few new shirts. Also going to pick up some shoes in that shoe shop on old Hibernian way as recommended earlier in the thread.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/national...c988ab59463e2f
                                                                                Thinking of getting this myself. Pay 45 for 180 quids worth and then maybe add a few quid if I need to.

In the market for a casual shirt and a suit shirt.
                                                                                Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                                                I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                                                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                  ah heorr were they short on models or what ffs

Should have got RD for the job

Lol. He's no oil painting to be fair but since it's his custom jacket he'd hardly have someone else modeling it!!

Comment

Interesting blog on layering

Comment

actually here may be the best place to ask.
                                                                                      I've a wedding Saturday with awful, AWFUL hire suits (i'm a groomsman)
                                                                                      I seem to have a 17.5" neck and subsequently, I'm wearing Andre the Giants Shirt.
                                                                                      Is there anywhere I can grab at short notice a high collared shirt for a cravat that wont look like a sail on me?
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        actually here may be the best place to ask.
                                                                                        I've a wedding Saturday with awful, AWFUL hire suits (i'm a groomsman)
                                                                                        I seem to have a 17.5" neck and subsequently, I'm wearing Andre the Giants Shirt.
                                                                                        Is there anywhere I can grab at short notice a high collared shirt for a cravat that wont look like a sail on me?

Save a few bob on the suits and have the lads looking like monkeys while the wimmins have themselves prepped and preened within an inch of their life.

Try Arnotts or BT.

Here's a link but I recommend going to the physical shop and trying it on.
                                                                                        Last edited by V for Vendetta; 10-10-13, 13:19.

Comment

Save a few bob on the suits and have the lads looking like monkeys while the wimmins have themselves prepped and preened within an inch of their life.

Try Arnotts or BT.

Here's a link but I recommend going to the physical shop and trying it on.
                                                                                          tell me about it. Just awful shitty hire suits.

Comment

Shoe care set has arrived. Any good tutorials on how best to use?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                              tell me about it. Just awful shitty hire suits.
                                                                                              Welcome to the M&S website. Shop clothing, home, furniture, beauty, food, wine, flowers & gifts. Buy now for free delivery, store collections and returns.

Comment

Any of you guys feet small (8)? Great looking pair of boots.

Last edited by TomD; 11-10-13, 15:09.

Comment

Arnotts 20% off sale starts tmrw. A great range of Bugatti coats for those interested. Playing all sorts of mental games to try and justify spending....

Comment

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. I am getting married in February and am looking at getting myself a nicer suit than the ones I already have given the day that is in it. I am also having no wedding party so can afford to treat myself a bit better.

Can anyone give any advice on options as to where to go? I went into Louis Copeland at the weekend. The sales man in there showed me a couple of suits in the colour I suggested. He said I wouldn't have to get something tailored due to my size. He took a really nice suit of the hanger which fit pretty much perfectly. I am giving it serious consideration but it was a little more expensive than I was expecting. Just wondering about alternate options.

Thanks in advance

Comment

V sent me to a place on Dawson Street called Baumler they had some pretty swish looking stuff, pop in there when you get a chance see if anything takes your fancy.
                                                                                                      "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                                        V sent me to a place on Dawson Street called Baumler they had some pretty swish looking stuff, pop in there when you get a chance see if anything takes your fancy.
                                                                                                        James Herren worth a spin as well.

Comment

Purchased some bog oak cufflinks from this guy, arrived today

Liking them a lot

Comment

Tell me moar. Have a cufflink fetish but can't imagine ever ordering bog oak. Not judging just wondering about back story? Got a pair of old Oirish coin cufflinks for Xmas. Am now single

Comment

Tell me moar. Have a cufflink fetish but can't imagine ever ordering bog oak. Not judging just wondering about back story? Got a pair of old Oirish coin cufflinks for Xmas. Am now single
                                                                                                              Have been searching for more cufflinks but disliking most stuff I've seen in the shops. Random Google search led me to him, thought it would be slightly quirky\unusual. It is.

Next pair will probably be some bespoke effort.

Comment

how important are a nice set of cuff links? Ive always admired them in the shops but never really noticed a person wearing a nice pair.

In terms of impression made would they be negative EV?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                                  how important are a nice set of cuff links? Ive always admired them in the shops but never really noticed a person wearing a nice pair.

They are a nice accessory and depending upon your shirt choice can look quite impressive. I usually opt for a double cuff for social gatherings and single cuff for work. They can play havok with a keyboard as my ex colleagues have discovered. They tend to annoyingly 'clack' off the desk and keyboard. Try to avoid doller signs or poker chip designs. Never a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

They are a nice accessory and depending upon your shirt choice can look quite impressive. I usually opt for a double cuff for social gatherings and single cuff for work. They can play havok with a keyboard as my ex colleagues have discovered. They tend to annoyingly 'clack' off the desk and keyboard. Try to avoid doller signs or poker chip designs. Never a good look.
                                                                                                                    Suit>Shirt>Shoes>Tie>Watch>Cufflinks in terms of importance.

In meetings when the jacket is off the shirt, tie and accessories would naturally be noticed more so it does depend on the nature of your work and the setting in which you are tryng to impress. For a Doctor I'd have thought being able to roll up your sleeves would be useful so a french cuff would be handy. That's also the original reason behind buttons on the arms of suit jackets.

I tend to go for simple non garish cufflinks which tend to either pick up on my tie colour, or my wedding ring and watch which are white gold and polished titanium.

I have one custom made pair which have my family crest and initials which are small and subtle and I generally only wear them for black tie events. They were actually surprisingly cheap to have made by an artisan jeweller, but they definitely don't deliver much impact in that sort of setting but I like them.

Comment

Just took delivery of this.

Comment

Just took delivery of this.

I wish you luck in your new career.

Entrayprooneer now wha'?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                          I wish you luck in your new career.

Entrayprooneer now wha'?
                                                                                                                          Nice to see Frank Underwood taking care of his shoes in House of Cards. Tips from a pro....

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X