Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants

Old 31-01-13, 05:09   #1
mdoug

What to do

Very frisky table full of nice gamblers, haven't played with villain before this - literally <10 hands so no reads

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha, $4.00 BB (4 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

UTG ($324.08)
Button ($155.49)
Hero (SB) ($211.76)
BB ($193.03)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8, 7, J, Q
1 fold, Button bets $8.40, Hero calls $6.40, BB calls $4.40

Flop: ($25.20) 3, 7, 8 (3 players)
Hero bets $18, 1 fold, Button calls $18

Turn: ($61.20) J (2 players)
Hero.....?

Let's hear some idea's plz

This is my turn action
Spoiler
Old 31-01-13, 06:37   #2
ianmc38

Either check call or check fold.
Old 31-01-13, 06:43   #3
mdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmc38 View Post
Either check call or check fold.
What kind of range do you think you're against and what would you do vs a river bet?

It's a similar situation that I'm finding I get into vs unknowns quite often and just want to see others thoughts, hand which has been bugging me for hours
Old 31-01-13, 06:48   #4
eamonhonda

Check call for me. Still have 6 outs to a house if your beat and you may still be ahead
eamonhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 31-01-13, 07:12   #5
mdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhonda View Post
Check call for me. Still have 6 outs to a house if your beat and you may still be ahead
so what if the river is a black king
are you check calling because you're good? or because you're attached to the hand? or just check folding?

Last edited by mdoug; 31-01-13 at 07:17.
mdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-13, 07:29   #6
eamonhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoug View Post
so what if the river is a black king
are you check calling because you're good? or because you're attached to the hand? or just check folding?
I'm in over my head ha. Depending on bet sizing I probably station it off. Then nod my head when I'm beat.
eamonhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 31-01-13, 07:57   #7
mdoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonhonda View Post
I'm in over my head ha. Depending on bet sizing I probably station it off. Then nod my head when I'm beat.
heh sorry for the pressure but actually trying these days and I just want people's reasoning - I know for a fact I make a different play 6 months ago than I did today, just wondering if I've improved or created more holes . I'll let ya be now
I like the headnod tho, will incorporate that for sure as I'm always beat
Old 31-01-13, 08:36   #8
ianmc38

If you take a passive line where you induce bluffs then you need to call sometimes. If I call turn i'll reassess river if i don't boat up. He could have 569x or JTxx or any other stuff that he is floating with. Check folding without a read is too weak tight and bet calling is obviously complete spew.
Old 22-02-13, 15:36   #9
UlDuffer

Send a message via Skype™ to UlDuffer
depends on villain but i like b/f the turn about $40 , people peel flops to fold turn with a very high freq in general in plo and you protect your range by betting. If he raises the turn he always has a straight unless he is bluff raising with blockers and if he is wp him.

He can call turn with worse 2 pairs and it will go x/x on a lot of rivers and you can x/c some blank rivers as most players at these stakes aren't savvy enough to flat the turn with the nut straight even tho imo its a good play.
UlDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 26-02-13, 07:28   #10
Mormank

Am I the only one just folding this pre flop then?
Not to mention just checking the flop as played?
I hate the pot bet here on the flop out of position.
Mormank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13, 16:14   #11
UlDuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormank View Post
Am I the only one just folding this pre flop then?
Not to mention just checking the flop as played?
I hate the pot bet here on the flop out of position.
Folding pre is ok but a bit weak against a button open but it's a 3b or fold pre flatting is bad as we want to get HU vs the btn.

Checking this flop as PFR is bad , we are the aggressor and will be betting most flops when we miss so we have to bet top two pair. Also any 4 cards will pick up alot of equity on most turn cards so we need to bet to protect our equity.

Also this is a board that misses our 3b range a large portion of the time so a competent villain will raise this board sometimes as a bluff at which point we should re pot get it in.
Old 26-02-13, 16:19   #12
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

I'd either bet fold or CRAI, think id lean towards CRAI.
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13, 16:30   #13
reilly110

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothcall View Post
I'd either bet fold or CRAI, think id lean towards CRAI.
if turn was jack spades or diamonds -i think im more likely to CRAI here -just gives opponent something to bet call with
reilly110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-13, 16:41   #14
UlDuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilly110 View Post
if turn was jack spades or diamonds -i think im more likely to CRAI here -just gives opponent something to bet call with
Well yea but villain doesnt have to pick up equity to bet the turn it's a 3b pot so he can peel/float this flop texture fairly wide and then bet this scare card so by CRAI we get value from his bluffs/floats , also we have top 3 pair ie all the blockers so it's tough for him to have much so flushdraw might have a good line.

It would be villain dependent for me and hud dependent which line i'd take in the moment. But i have to say that c/c turn is horrible and the worst turn line, we let him realise his equity w/o gaining any info on his hand range.
Old 27-02-13, 03:00   #15
smoothcall
Asteroids Champion

3 bet pot?
smoothcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-13, 13:00   #16
Mormank

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlDuffer View Post
Folding pre is ok but a bit weak against a button open but it's a 3b or fold pre flatting is bad as we want to get HU vs the btn.

Checking this flop as PFR is bad , we are the aggressor and will be betting most flops when we miss so we have to bet top two pair. Also any 4 cards will pick up alot of equity on most turn cards so we need to bet to protect our equity.

Also this is a board that misses our 3b range a large portion of the time so a competent villain will raise this board sometimes as a bluff at which point we should re pot get it in.
We are not the PFR in this hand? I said checking it as played, not if we have 3bet. Obviously if we have 3 bet pre we are not checking this flop. As played I am checking here looking for the CRAI, but then again this also depends on the rate at which the button has been c-betting I guess. Also it has to be said that I am probably gonna try CRAI here with most one pair + str8 draw type hands just to add some balance.
From the small blind here I don't think I am ever just calling. Re raising or folding all day long here. Unless I have some info on the button raiser I am just gonna fold here and wait for a better spot/hand.
Old 27-02-13, 13:02   #17
Mormank

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlDuffer View Post

Please don't tell me why a check is bad on this flop when we have played the hand completely differently to what the OP stated he did pre flop. I was commenting on how I play this flop as played. Not if we had re raised pre which is a completely different context.

Edit: On second thoughts, having read more of your posts on the subject it is clear to me that one of 3 things happened here. a) you are on some sort of 'hilarious' wind up. b) you don't realise that nobody actualy 3 bet pre c) I don't realise that it was in fact a 3 bet pot pre in which case disregard everyone of my posts in this thread.

Last edited by Mormank; 27-02-13 at 13:08.
Old 28-02-13, 00:00   #18
UlDuffer

Yea my bad , since i thought it was best to 3b or fold pre i convinced my brain it was a 3b pot sorry.
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Poker > Poker Theory, Strategy and Rulings > Omaha, Stud and Other Variants