Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League Points Ideas?

Hi all,

Just looking for some feedback on the best way to work out points for a weekly pub game that I run.

At present we use a simple system as follows, top 10 receiving points each week as follows:
    1st - 10 points
    2nd - 9 points
    3rd - 8 points
    4th - 7 points
    5th - 6 points
    6th - 5 points
    7th - 4 points
    8th - 3 points
    9th - 2 points
    10th - 1 point

Each point is then worth 250 chips and you need 2500 chips to qualify for the league final which is held every 20 to 24 weeks. (money is held back each week for the league final)

I am not sure if this is the best way to do things and was looking for alternative ideas. One of the ideas I was thinking of was to reward players with league final chips just for playing each week and then to work from there (I feel this will reward the regualr players who pay into the league final fund every week with more chips for the final)

We get between 20 and 30 players each week.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Derek

It would probably boil down to what your time constraints are for your final. JP's league games have always ran well, but he had big numbers

I don't see much wrong with your setup tbh. I'd probably make it a bit tougher to qualify tho. If it's run over 20-24 weeks, then you only need a 2 x 6th places to get there. You want players to come back and build up points. Make it about 5-6000 to qualify. If you're getting 20 players, you only need to beat half the field to score points so still shouldn't be difficult. I'd give all players 100 points for any night they play aswel to encourage players to turn up and hopefully increase your numbers

Comment

One of my mates ran a Poker christmas league in a local pub just before xmas, he ran it for 10 weeks and he also held money back for the league final BUT also you had to play a minimum of 5 weeks (i think) to qualify for the league final and he also gave a small amount of chips for attendance every week towards ur stack for the final...
      This of course was all done on top of the normal points system, 12 for 1st, 10 for 2nd etc...
      It worked out very well and the league final was a success...:-)

Comment

They say in sport the League Table doesn't lie and those in the top positions generally deserve to be there.

What a lot of people forget or fail to notice in poker in the huge turnover of players in the game. Any long time member of a club can remember a large number of players who no longer play. This imo is because many have realised they are not making a fist of the game & it is only costing them money & just give up.

This is one of the reasons on line poker pay so many, usually 15% to 20% of the field to ensure players keep coming back.

In other words for a pub game I would be trying to encourage as many as possible to reach the League Final and give them a chance at the Big Prize. How you do this will require a lot of thought and really does it matter if all your players qualified albeit some with very low stacks but at least they get the chance of maybe getting lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          It would probably boil down to what your time constraints are for your final. JP's league games have always ran well, but he had big numbers

I don't see much wrong with your setup tbh. I'd probably make it a bit tougher to qualify tho. If it's run over 20-24 weeks, then you only need a 2 x 6th places to get there. You want players to come back and build up points. Make it about 5-6000 to qualify. If you're getting 20 players, you only need to beat half the field to score points so still shouldn't be difficult. I'd give all players 100 points for any night they play aswel to encourage players to turn up and hopefully increase your numbers
          We are restricted to pub hours for the league final. We start at 7.30pm and can play until 12.30am - 1.00am with a break included so giving us around 4.5 to 5 hours playing time.

I have played JP's league finals in the past and do like they way he does his points system but feel it might be a bit complicated to explain to some of our players and we also get the same sort of numbers each week so multiplying chips by the number of players will work out even in the long run I would think.

Do you think there should be more points given to the person who finished first?

I was also thinking about making it harder to qualify but as KAKA said I dont want to run the risk of losing a player in the long run if he does not qualify for one final (I suppose it is a balancing act)

Comment

Have you considered giving a point for each player you oulasted?

Ie field = 35 people, winner gets 35 points, 2nd place gets 34 etc.
            This will reward consistant attenders and will encourage the fields to stay big.

Bit of a nightmare keeping track of each bustout tho.
            Last edited by Micknail; 08-01-13, 16:36.
            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Have ran a few of these before and the fairest system I found was I ran it over 10 weeks - would usually try and lead it into a bank holiday and hold the final on the Monday giving more play timeif its in a pub.

To qualify for the final each player must play a minimum of 5 weeks and points were rewarded as follows :

2 Points will be awarded for every game you play in plus the following additional points based on your finishing position:
              9th – 2 pts
              8th – 3 pts
              7th – 4 pts
              6th – 6 pts
              5th – 8 pts
              4th – 10 pts
              3rd – 13 pts
              2nd – 16 pts
              1st – 20 pts

Each point earned in the league will be worth 175 chips in the grand final

Comment

have ran these games in the past and best is fifteen weeks we awarded 250 points for turning up 10 x amount off players on night for tenth 20 for nine 30 for 8 and so on you need one final table to qualify or 2500 points to play league final so u are rewarding your regular players with points and there is value for the ocasional player we hold 100 euro back each and then add the 1500 every 16 week

Comment

This how i run mine.

Run for 15 weeks, entry can be whatever suits.

Points scoring - winner -20, 2nd - 15, 3rd - 12, 4th - 10, 5th - 9, 6th -8, 7th - 7, 8th - 6, 9th -5, 10th - 4, 11-14th - 3, 15th - 18th -2, 18th+ - 1. Points scored each night multiplied by number of players to give bigger reward for winning a bigger tourney, e.g winner of a 25 man tournament gets 500 points, runner up gets 325 points etc whereas winner of a 15 man tournament gets 300 points, runner up gets 225 etc. At end of league the top ten in the table qualify for the final and their starting stacks are based on two criteria:

5 chips for point scored in league, e.g. 1,200 points = 6,000 chips + Bonus Chips for finishing position in league which i score as follows: 1st in league -10,000, 2nd - 7,500, 3rd - 6,500 4th - 6,000, 5th - 5.5k, 7th - 5k, 8th - 4.5k, 9th - 4k, 10th 3.5k.

So if you finish top of the league with 2,000 points your stack for the grand final is 2,000 X 5 = 10,000 + 10,000 bonus = 20,000 stack. 10 th place might have 900 points = 4,5000 + 3,500 bonus = 8,000 starting stack. Might seem complicated at first but benefits are it rewards players who do well in the bigger fields plus keeps interest going right to the end as you are accumulating chips every night.

we also have a Play Off after 15 rounds, where any player who has played a set minimum of rounds enters a play off where the top two also win seats to the final. This also helps keep interest up as players who have started badly and lost interest will show up for the final rounds to secure their place in the play off and accumulate chips if they do win a seat in the final
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mayo-...0391231?ref=hl

Mayo's longest running and most successful pub poker league. Teach O'Hora, Kiltimagh every Wednesday night, entry €20. Re-entry €20.

Comment

Working...
                  X