• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Prize Pool Poker (MPP Poker)

Stolen from Pokernews.com

Link to original article

Originally posted by Pokernews
    As the name suggests, Multi Prize Pool poker sees multiple — read that as three — prize pools played for during a single tournament. This allows for increased guarantees, creates three bubbles and a number of different dynamics that will, no doubt, spice up the action. So how does MPP work? Keep reading and all should become clear.

Each MPP tournament offers three buy-in levels, which creates three prize pools. If the buy-ins were £25/£50/£100 players could choose to buy into the prize pool 1, prize pool 2 or prize pool 3. In this example, prize pool 1 is the default prize pool and the first £25 from any buy in goes into this prize pool. Any player buying into prize pool 2 (£50) will first have £25 invested in prize pool 1 and £25 invested in prize pool 2. Finally, any player buying into prize pool 3 will have £25 invested in the first prize pool, £25 in the second prize pool and £50 invested in prize pool 3.

The graphic below, originally posted on Blonde Poker, gives a good example of the concept in action.

All players start with the same starting stack as they are competing in the same tournament, it is only the payouts that are different to a standard tournament.

If a player buys into the lowest buy-in they can only win money from the prize pool they have bought into , so a player who bought into prize pool 1 (£25 in our example) and went onto to win the tournament would win the first place prize from prize pool 1. However, if the tournament’s overall winner had bought into prize pool 2 (£50 in our example), they would win the first place prize from both prize pool 1 and prize pool 2! Completing our example, a player who bought into prize pool 3 (£100 in our example) and went onto win the tournament would walk away with the first place prize from all three prize pools! Basically, players can win money from their own buy in level and any that are lower too!

This exciting new format has a wide range of benefits and I think the poker community will welcome it with open arms. The concept not only allows players with small bankrolls the chance to play in a single tournament with huge guarantees, it also allows players with smaller bankrolls play in tournaments where their idols are competing. Many poker players wish they could sit down at the felt with the likes of Romanello but to do so they would have to buy into tournaments with a buy-in of £500, £1,000 or even £5,000. With MPP poker they will be able to rub shoulders with their heroes for a much smaller investment.

It is not only recreational players who benefit from this either, MPP improves the game for everyone. Players who can afford to buy into the larger buy-in prize pools benefit from having larger guarantees to play for. Also,the fields will be weaker due to the increased number of lower buy-in players and with it being possible to cash or win their respective prize pools without having to actually cash in the tournament, they can be freerolling on the prize pool 1!
    There a few more quotes etc on the link above but I think the above are the most important parts.

Personally I thinks its an interesting concept and could reinvigorate a lot of events. I would have concerns about tracking software etc but in general I really like it.

Would be interesting to hear IPB's opinions.

Thoughts.

The buy-ins have to be kept close together - from the article they are running with £25, £25, £50 which is fine, but you couldn't have say £50, £100, £500 running together for chip dumping reasons.

Hand for Hand on bubble could be annoying as there will be 3 different bubbles.

The EV dynamic of certain situations changes as you no longer have to win every chip to win the tournament. In the 'high roller' event you could technically win without gaining a chip if the other competitors in this competition lose their chips to low-roller players.

ICM in general becomes harder to work out as the amount of chips in play (in one particular tournament) becomes very flux in the latter stages as the chips move from one tournament to another.

Comment

Yeah BallymoreChris posted about this the other day, and referenced it was something The Loft talked about back in May last year (similar idea)

Originally posted by The Loft Naas
      Ok, what we propose is a kind of duel entry tournament for IPB members to be held on a Saturday of your choice starting at 2pm.

15k starting stack with 25 min blinds.

Buy in €70+€15 with an optional €95+€5 (LL)

There would be two prize funds and based on 80 players with 40 taking up the option it would work out like this.

Main event prize fund €70 x 80 = €5600
      Final Table Paid

1st €1500, 2nd €1000, 3rd €750, 4th €600, 5th €450, 6th €400, 7th €350, 8th€300,9th €250

Optional LL 10% Paid €95 x 40 = €3800

1st €1550, 2nd €1000, 3rd €750, 4th €500.

Food would be provided from a bar/restaurant only 2 minutes walk from the club.

For this one off occasion we will allow IPB members to bring their own drinks into the club.

Nick O Hara would be the TD for the day.

If necessary we can cater for up to 100 players.

We are happy to answer any questions members may have and if its a runner we can arrange a group rate in a local hotel.
      I like the idea myself, get a sample tournament set up

Comment

Chip dumping is the obvious problem - even if you had no intention of any wrong doing when it got to the final table or close to it and one guy is playing for a top prize of €10k and his mate is playing the same game for a top prize of €100k he is hardly going to knock him out is he?

When I suggested it for the IPB game people had a serious problem with the reg being higher in the bigger buy in tournaments.
        twitter
        moneybookers

Comment

I don't like this idea and I would probably avoid these tourneys.
          Chip dumping will happen, and anyone who thinks it won't is delusional.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

How about if everybody buys in at the same level, and then at x designated breaks (ie 're buy in breaks') players reinvest in themselves according to their stack and move to a new prizepool?
            To accumulate enduring wealth, do not lend to grasshoppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              I don't like this idea and I would probably avoid these tourneys.
              Chip dumping will happen, and anyone who thinks it won't is delusional.
              If it could be worked out that it was confidential (ie which buy-in you're in for) it could work. No idea how you could do this in a practical sense though

Its essentially a last longest bet times three and chip dumping is always a security issue that has to be watched out for in any tournament.
              International Poker Open 2017 online satellites available on GG Poker. Visit www.internationalpokeropen.ie for more details.

The IPO is one of Europe's biggest, longest running and most enjoyable live poker festivals with huge prize-pools every year.

Comment

Unless there's a huge disparity in the buy in levels, wouldn't the level 1 prize generally be the biggest prize due to all the players contributing to that prizepool?

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                  Unless there's a huge disparity in the buy in levels, wouldn't the level 1 prize generally be the biggest prize due to all the players contributing to that prizepool?
                  Depends on the number that buy-in to each level and what the price difference is.
                  International Poker Open 2017 online satellites available on GG Poker. Visit www.internationalpokeropen.ie for more details.

The IPO is one of Europe's biggest, longest running and most enjoyable live poker festivals with huge prize-pools every year.

Comment

Think Roy Houghton, then of the loose cannon club (Bank,London), would argue he came up with the concept many years ago. The tournaments ran for a while, with little to no interest long term.

Comment

Working...
                    X