2019 Multi Sport Competition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September/October deadlines.

Athletics - World Champions 4x100 Relay Men - Starts 04/10 - Deadline for changes 29/09 21:59

Relays can get messy with disqualifications, appeals and re-instatements for lane infringement and baton passing mistakes. And possible drug test issues the next day.
    So I'll settle this event on who first gets handed the gold/silver/bronze medals on the podium.

Comment

...luckforsome with the late surge...
      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
        ...luckforsome with the late surge...
        You should be grand, I’m not loving some of my late picks tho

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          Huge upset in the Volleyball quarter-finals as co-hosts Slovenia beat Russia.
          They'll play Poland (Flushdraw, luckforsome) in the semi-final on Thursday.

Tomorrow nights quarter-finals see Serbia (AJ) v Ukraine, and France v Italy (RichieM, premierstone) in a tie between two of the best sides so far. It's in Nantes so Italy will be underdog I'd reckon.
          Another upset in the semis with Slovenia knocking Poland out. France Serbia is on tonight

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
            Another upset in the semis with Slovenia knocking Poland out. France Serbia is on tonight
            Another upset with Serbia taking out France, setting up a Serbia Slovenia final. Big chance for AJ to take the points

Comment

Richmond absolutely embarrass Greater Western Sydney to make things very spicy for all involved here.
              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Result 29/40.
                Aussie Rules.

Massacre for Richmond in the final - hard to know how GWS beat Collingwood in the semi-final.

1st. Richmond. 4 points - pokerhand, AJ, bluezar, luckforsome, Kev, Flushdraw, bohsman, premierstone, SP, Lao Lao, Murdrum.
                2nd Great Western Sydney. 2 points - no-one.
                Semi. Geelong. 1 point - mdoug.
                Semi. Collingwood. 1 point - limpwhacker, shrapnel, RichieM.

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard
                Still a healthy lead for mdoug, but there's now a few more people within 'get on a bit of a roll' range.
                Volleyball finishes tomorrow.
                Unfancied Slovenia have cut a swathe through our selections knocking out Russia and Poland. Serbia (myself) face them in the final tomorrow night.
                Before that, tonight Poland (luckforsome, Flushdraw) will attempt to bink 1 point in the third place play-off against France.

Comment

September/October deadlines.

Athletics - World Champions 4x100 Relay Men - Starts 04/10 - Deadline for changes 29/09 21:59

Relays can get messy with disqualifications, appeals and re-instatements for lane infringement and baton passing mistakes. And possible drug test issues the next day.
                  So I'll settle this event on who first gets handed the gold/silver/bronze medals on the podium.
                  that's a very late change time considering the world champs have already started and the 100m heats have started also. good info to be gained watching those

Comment

that's a very late change time considering the world champs have already started and the 100m heats have started also. good info to be gained watching those
                    Small oversight on AJ's part, and i think we'll all be happy to agree that the deadline is passed for this one, and no changes can be made.

Comment

4x100M relay event is unrelated to the 100M individual event was my thinking?
                      Relay heats don't start until the 4th October.
                      Obviously it's a form guide of sorts, but no different to if tonight was a random diamond league meeting.

If I had say the Olympic Rugby 7s in it then the deadline would be 5 days before that event started rather than 5 days before the Olympics started.

I think it's the same thing???

Comment

4x100M relay event is unrelated to the 100M individual event was my thinking?
                        Relay heats don't start until the 4th October.
                        Obviously it's a form guide of sorts, but no different to if tonight was a random diamond league meeting.

If I had say the Olympic Rugby 7s in it then the deadline would be 5 days before that event started rather than 5 days before the Olympics started.

I think it's the same thing???
                        For the big teams, the big names will only run in the finals of the relay (maybe semis as well for some teams. if they're not firing on all cylinders, it gives you a decent amount of info for the relays.

it's really not a big issue either way, i just thought some good info could be gained of watching the individual performances

Comment

For the big teams, the big names will only run in the finals of the relay (maybe semis as well for some teams. if they're not firing on all cylinders, it gives you a decent amount of info for the relays.

it's really not a big issue either way, i just thought some good info could be gained of watching the individual performances
                          It's good info gained alright, great info potentially.

But I really don't see it as being any different to John Higgins winning a snooker event 6 days before the UK Championship, and that gives him a higher seeding which improves his chances and also confirms him to be in terrific form. So people change to him based on that.
                          Other than in this case both events are in the same venue, I genuinely don't see it as being any different.
                          So not seeing any issue with the deadline.

Comment

Result 30/40.
                            Volleyball - European Championships.

1st. Serbia. 4 points - ArmaniJeans.
                            2nd Slovenia. 2 points - no-one.
                            3rd. Poland. 1 point - Flushdraw, luckforsome

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                            So there we have it, exactly 3/4 of the year done and exactly 3/4 of the events completed in this superbly choreographed competition .

Next to finish is the 4x100 Mens Relay next weekend.
                            Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 29-09-19, 19:52.

Comment

It's a crock of shit. Superbly choreographed my hole. Top for 3 months and now looking at trying to avoid relegation ??? Me bollix AJ

Comment

super league update:

Warrington out at the first knock out phase

St helens through to the final and wigan go to the 2nd chance semifinal

Comment

Also entering end phase is baseball.
                                  162 game regular season is over, one-game wildcard round takes place tomorrow and then the quarter-finals (best of 5 games) start on Thursday.

Eliminated during the regular season were Chicago Cubs (Strewelpeter) and Boston (Murdrum, Flushdraw, limpwhacker, bohsman and mdoug ).

Still in the hunt are The Yankees (Lao Lao, luckforsome), LA Dodgers (pokerhand) and Houston (7 picks).

Quarter Finals, Dates and stuff.

Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 03-10-19, 08:43.

Comment

Relay finals later tonight. US looking really shakey and lucky to be in the final. I make gb favs tonight

Comment

USA USA USA USA USA USA!!!

Comment

Result 31/40.
                                        Athletics World Championships - Mens 4x100.

1st. USA. 4 points - Everyone except ArmaniJeans & pokerhand.
                                        2nd GB. 2 points - ArmaniJeans.
                                        3rd. Japan. 1 point - no-one.

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                        2 events complete next Saturday.
                                        In the early hours, World Cup Group C concludes with a likely 'final' between England (14 picks) and France (none). This will either be bad or completely terrible for the two people who don't have England (RichieM and myself).
                                        In the evening Superleague comes to an end with the final between St Helens (12 picks) and Salford (none). This will either be bad or completely terrible for the four people who don't have St Helens (shrapnel, limpwhacker, Flushdraw, Strewelpeter).

Comment

Result 32/40
                                          Rugby World Cup Group C.

1st. England. 4 points - everyone except RichieM & ArmaniJeans.
                                          2nd. France. 2 points - no-one.

Result 33/40
                                          Superleague.

1st. St Helens. 4 points - everyone except limpwhacker, shrapnel, Flushdraw & Strewelpeter.
                                          2nd. Salford. 2 points - no-one.

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                          Baseball next to complete, with the potential 7th game of the World Series scheduled for 30th October.
                                          We lost one further team in the quarter-finals with pokerhands beloved LA Dodgers going out.

That leaves Houston Astros (RichieM, premierstone, KevIRL, shrapnel, ArmaniJeans, bluezar, 6starpool) and New York Yankees (Lao Lao, luckforsome) who will meet in the semi-final.
                                          1 point locked up with the winner getting the chance to turn it into 4.
                                          Semi starts tonight, best of 7 games over the next week.

Comment

Early November deadlines.

Tennis - Davis Cup. Starts 18/11 - Deadline for changes 13/11 21:59

Comment

Houston Astros (RichieM, premierstone, KevIRL, shrapnel, ArmaniJeans, bluezar, 6starpool) won the semi-final and will play Washington (no-one) in the World Series.

Best of 7 games (4 of them in Houston) starting Tuesday night.

Comment

November deadlines.

Snooker - UK Championships. Starts 26/11 - Deadline for changes 21/11 21:59

Baseball final has gone to the deciding game, in the early hours of tomorrow morning. Houston at home, though the first 6 games have been won by the away team.

Comment

November deadlines.

Baseball final has gone to the deciding game, in the early hours of tomorrow morning. Houston at home, though the first 6 games have been won by the away team.
                                                  Washington won it last night

Comment

Washington won it last night
                                                    And yet, they have never won a game at home in the World Series

Last year I was so annoyed that my last second change dropped me from 1st to outta the places. I'm loving this year with Richie the only one with current selections I'm weary of. Am in for seeing clearly in 2020 pac:
                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Result 34/40
                                                      Baseball - World Series.

1st. Washington. 4 points - no-one.
                                                      2nd. Houston. 2 points - RichieM, premierstone, KevIRL, shrapnel, ArmaniJeans, bluezar, 6starpool.
                                                      Semi - San Louis. 1 point - no-one.
                                                      Semi - Yankees. 1 point - Lao Lao, luckforsome

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                      Rugby World Cup next to finish, 3ppo tomorrow and final on Saturday. Not going to make any difference up top with everyone on NZ, though a win for South Africa would put me on the fringes of the battle for the place money behind the runaway train mdoug.

Comment

Result 35/40
                                                        Rugby World Cup.

1st. South Africa. 4 points - ArmaniJeans.
                                                        2nd. England. 2 points - no-one.
                                                        3rd - New Zealand. 1 point - everyone except ArmaniJeans and KevIRL.

Completed events

Remaining Events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                        Tennis next to finish in 3 weeks time, with the first edition of the new look Davis Cup being played at the one venue.
                                                        Interesting to see how it pans out, and it also has a nice spread of selections in this comp.
                                                        I notice from the OP I'm only giving points to first and second, with no consolation 1 pointer for the semi-finalists despite there being 18 teams in it. The format wasn't clarified at the start of the year and there was talk of just being an 8-team affair. To be fair I'll stick with what is in the OP.

Comment

Potentially important top of the table clash in the EPL Last Place tonight when Norwich (luckforsome + 4 others) host Watford (mdoug).

Norwich have had a fine run of form recently with 5 losses in 6, going some way towards repairing the damage of a disappointing win over Man City.

Watford have been superb since the start of the season, avoiding any wins. But 5 draws mean they haven't been able to pull away at the top.

Could go either way, but away advantage could swing it towards Watford.

Comment

Thankswhoring post alert.

Seeing as we are at a November lull before snooker/tennis/golf start, a good time to check whether there'd be interest in repeating this in 2020.
                                                            Please thank or reply to give me an idea if worthwhile to go again (non-players this year more than welcome to thank/comment if they'd be interested). Or any ideas you'd have.

I'd intend to stick with ~40 events, and I was happy enough with the scoring system. Think the 3 changes is fine as well, gives enough latitude to cope with non-runners or strategic changes but also forces you to get good initial selections. But happy to alter.

So if there's interest I'll start looking for 40 events. Including as many of the big-ticket events as possible whilst also striving to have competitive events and also a good chronological spread throughout the year (the toughest bit). Will be no wwf wrestling.

Or if anyone else has a plan to run it and give it their own flavour, I'll happily step aside.

Comment

Late November/early December deadlines.

Golf - Presidents Cup. Starts 12/12 - Deadline for changes 07/12 21:59
                                                              Darts - World Championship. Stars 13/12 - Deadline for changes 08/12 21:59

Comment

Result 36/40
                                                                Tennis Davis Cup.

1st. Spain 4 points - mdoug, ArmaniJeans, shrapnel, 5starpool
                                                                2nd. Canada. 2 points - no-one.

Completed events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                                It'd be an epically close event if it wasn't for mdoug being too good!!!
                                                                Think technically I could still draw with him, but its over bar the shouting.
                                                                €170 & €70 place-money still to be fought for though, and lots of permutations there.

Snooker next to finish.
                                                                I thought there might be some late changes to the in-form Judd Trump but none of the Ronnies blinked.
                                                                So whichever of Mark Allen or Ronnie gets the most points is the only interest. Starts Tuesday, finishes the 8th of December.

Comment

December change deadlines.

Use 'em or lose 'em.

Golf - Presidents Cup. Starts 12/12 - Deadline for changes 07/12 21:59
                                                                  Darts - World Championship. Stars 13/12 - Deadline for changes 08/12 21:59

Comment

...3rd and final change for me - Presidents cup, change to Adam Scott please...Thank you...

Comment

Result 37/40
                                                                      Snooker UK Championship.

1st. Maguire or Ding. 4 points - no-one
                                                                      2nd. Maguire or Ding. 2 points - no-one.
                                                                      Semi. Mark Allen. 1 point - ArmaniJeans & Flushdraw.
                                                                      Semi. Bingtao. 1 point - no-one.

Completed events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                                      Presidents Cup Golf Best ROW is next on the agenda, finishing sometime next weekend (timezones confuse me)

Comment

Mark Allen's failure to win the UK seals the deal mathematically for mdoug, the new Multi-Sport Champion. Well-played.
                                                                        He'd have won last year as well if he hadn't made some seriously negative changes. Riding high in the Fantasy Football as well, seems to have a happy skill in these comps. Can he be dethroned next year?

I'll get back to you with payment info later in the week, can do bank or can give you cash in the office. Whichever works for you.
                                                                        Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 08-12-19, 12:19.

Comment

...Whats the ruling if there is a tie for 2nd/3rd place etc... Is it split, or based on numbers of 1st places?...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                            ...Whats the ruling if there is a tie for 2nd/3rd place etc... Is it split, or based on numbers of 1st places?...
                                                                            ...Alphabetical order mate...

Comment

...Alphabetical order mate...
                                                                              ...Hopefully you come tied 3rd so...

Comment

Serious answer - Split moneys if tied for any position would seem the only fair option to me.
                                                                                Definitely wouldn't do countback for most 4pointers or anything like that.

Comment

Most importantly, I didn't come last.

Comment

Rob Cross knocked out in first round, Norwich the only sweat for luckforsome now.

GG all, looking forward to retaining my title next year.
                                                                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Result 38/40
                                                                                      Presidents Cup Golf, Best Rest of World player.

Joint 1st. Anser & SungJae. 3 points - no-one
                                                                                      Joint 3rd. Matsuyama, Ooosthuizen, Scott. .33 point - mdoug, AJ, Lao Lao, luckforsome, RichieM, shrapnel, Bluezar, Flushdraw, Murdrum.

Completed events

We nearly got through the year without fractional points.
                                                                                      Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                                                      Rob Cross's elimination from the darts means RichieM is unlikely to get a money finish as Newcastle look too far ahead of the bottom 3. Also makes the rest of the world darts irrelevant. I thought it might be a useful event for changes but hasn't worked out.
                                                                                      So 2nd €170 and 3rd €70 will come down to the football, specifically Norwich. A 4-pointer for them would see luckforsome grab 2nd, whilst a zero-pointer and he'd miss out completely. 2 points or 1 point would be a tie of some sort.

Comment

...I feel privileged to know that it all comes down to my selection to decide 2nd and 3rd...

Comment

Congrats mdoug. Was good t have a slight sweat for a cash finish in the end but really used my trades very poorly this year and made some sentimental/patriotic picks which had no place.

Will be back for the crown next year

Comment

Work-in-progress list, don't send in any entries.

Looks to be enough interest for 2020.
                                                                                            Thinking of something like this.
                                                                                            which chronologically by event finish would be

Some events dropped (wrestling, athletics), a welcome return for basketball and rugby7s, and a complete newbie with a politics event which I've yet to fully think through the scoring of.

Eagle-eyed might spot that I've only 39 events there. Happy for suggestions to bring in athletics in some way that isn't ultra difficult but also isn't too obvious a pick. Or a motor sport event. Or fighting which didn't really work previously. T14 Rugby maybe.
                                                                                            Feel I'm light enough on events near the end of the year, with only 7 in the last 3 months. Hard to avoid though. 2020 In Sports Not hugely keen on bringing in a second handball event just for the sake of having another event in December. The December darts should work better this time though with the tweak I've put on.

Any ideas more than welcome, I'll come back with a full list by around the 30th with an entry closing date of ~10th Jan.

Comment

ironman worlds in october?

Comment

One of these for November has railability

Nov 2-21: 2020 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup
                                                                                                Nov 14-22: 2020 Grand Slam of Darts

Comment

I'm glad the NBA is back. Its certainly more wide open than last year at this stage.

The situation demonstrates the perfect example of American Sports:
                                                                                                  Golden State Warriors too heavy of favourites to include at the time. They subsequently lose to the Raptors who were first time champs.

The Raptors and Warriors each lose their best player this year, the Raptors remain competitive but the Warriors are now 2nd last in the league. Neither has a chance of winning the league and approx 7 other teams with reasonable chances of securing the title this year.

Its not later in the year but perhaps one people are familiar with in The CrossFit Games.
                                                                                                  Unsure of the exact format but perhaps an option?

Something creative in Boxing?

Comment

would love to see more olympic events personally. lot of wide open events and unusual sports we never see

Comment

would love to see more olympic events personally. lot of wide open events and unusual sports we never see
                                                                                                      I was conscious of not having too many events all finishing on the same couple of days, and also that this years olympics is in the 'wrong' time-zone.
                                                                                                      But looking at the list by date I could probably put another one in alright. Will investigate.
                                                                                                      Lots of wide-open events as you said - indeed if anyone wants to run a similar comp purely on 20 or 30 events from the Olympics it could work. pm me for franchise costs & details!

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                                      The CrossFit Games.
                                                                                                      Unsure of the exact format but perhaps an option?
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                                                                                      ironman worlds in october?
                                                                                                      Out of my knowledge zone on XFit or Iron Man, which is a good thing really. Will definitely investigate. IronMan looks like good timing.

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      One of these for November has railability

Nov 2-21: 2020 FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup
                                                                                                      Nov 14-22: 2020 Grand Slam of Darts
                                                                                                      Cheers, they are definite good fall-backs if needed, but kinda loathe to have a 3rd darts event and have always tried to limit soccer to 4.
                                                                                                      But good chance one or other ends up in it if I come up dry on other events.

********
                                                                                                      Cheers, keep 'em coming.

Comment

I was conscious of not having too many events all finishing on the same couple of days, and also that this years olympics is in the 'wrong' time-zone.
                                                                                                        But looking at the list by date I could probably put another one in alright. Will investigate.
                                                                                                        Lots of wide-open events as you said - indeed if anyone wants to run a similar comp purely on 20 or 30 events from the Olympics it could work. pm me for franchise costs & details!

********
                                                                                                        Cheers, keep 'em coming.
                                                                                                        Was actually thinking of doing this, but then realised I'll be on holiday so wouldn't be able to admin in any meaningful way.

Comment

Doubt I'll enter but some ideas for you;

Lacrosse - Canadian NLL champions.
                                                                                                          CFL - Canadian Football League champions.
                                                                                                          Winter X Games, or Summer X Games.
                                                                                                          World Mens Curling Champs - in Glasgow this year.
                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

If you were happy to deal with dates ever so slightly later, you could go with the All Ireland Club Football/Hurling championships which are currently scheduled for Jan 19th having been moved back two months.

Comment

Result 39/40
                                                                                                              EPL Last Place 31/12.

1st. Norwich 4 points - luckforsome, KevIrl, bohsman, Flushdraw, 6starpool.
                                                                                                              2nd. Watford 2 points - mdoug.
                                                                                                              3rd. Villa 1 point - no-one.

Completed events

Leaderboard & Remaining
                                                                                                              Nigel Pearson and Watford have basically stolen €100 from me with their sudden upturn in form.

Darts on Wednesday is of no relevance sadly, so the top 3 is set in stone.

A procession for mdoug, but a decent battle for the places and 5 or 6 people could have got there with just one result going differently.
                                                                                                              A spectacular fall from grace for limpwhacker, who led for months but ended up in the bottom three.
                                                                                                              We go again.
                                                                                                              Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 30-12-19, 02:03.

Comment

...Wasn't looking good for me 2 weeks ago, but good old Nigel to the rescue...Cheers for running as always...

Comment

Tiger Woods swap cost me dearly Ffs!

Comment

Nearly there I think.
                                                                                                                    Small changes since last time.
                                                                                                                    Brought Olympic Boxing in on a 'country with most medals' basis, which should be very competitive going by Rio and London.
                                                                                                                    Brought curling in as it's fun and likely televised on bbc.
                                                                                                                    Swapped Handball Mens in January with Handball Womens in December, to beef up the closing month.
                                                                                                                    Politics Irish Election scoring system - I see as 4 points for exact seats, 3 points for 1 away, 2 points for 2/3 away, 1 point for 4/5.

Up to 41 events now. Will likely chop one and launch tomorrow (HCup rugby on the chopping block I reckon).

Comment

Politics Irish Election scoring system - I see as 4 points for exact seats, 3 points for 1 away, 2 points for 2/3 away, 1 point for 4/5.

Up to 41 events now. Will likely chop one and launch tomorrow (HCup rugby on the chopping block I reckon).
                                                                                                                      Please chop this one for our Multi Sport Competition!!

Comment

+1. Was thinking of the best way to say the same. That works !

Comment

Ye never complained about the scripted wrestling this much.

+1. Was thinking of the best way to say the same.
                                                                                                                          Better off saying it bluntly like Flushdraw. Otherwise I'd have Donald Trump percentage vote in it next.

******
                                                                                                                          Will drop the politics.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X