No announcement yet.

Get healthy and fit of course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just did SS today to see how my strength is on the cut - 90*5*5 squats were tough enough, 90*5*5 deadlift was v tough & 70*5*5 bench wasn't too much of a struggle. Did a small bit of legs & shoulder work after this and pulled a muscle in my lower back it seems. Was messing around with the overhead press trying to figure out how to do it & now my back is in bits Any remedies?

Comment

Back is in bits, think I'll be doing well to be back in the gym in a week. Disguisted with this really. Trying to come with ideas of what exercise I can do & swimming is the only viable option I can think of so will probably give this a go later.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
        Back is in bits, think I'll be doing well to be back in the gym in a week. Disguisted with this really. Trying to come with ideas of what exercise I can do & swimming is the only viable option I can think of so will probably give this a go later.

Just rest. Biofreeze and Difene or whatever you like. Be extra vigalent with the food intake until you're better.

Comment

Back still fucked & I went over maintenance again yesterday. The last 5 days (Thurs-Mon) have all involved a calorific surplus. Despite good intentions Sun I still went overboard that night. There's more or less two weeks until I head away for the summer so it's time to get the head down & ensure every day between now and then is 1200-1500 kcals & hopefully will end up around 73/74kg. Just posting this here to be honest & hopefully that will keep me in check for the next fortnight - would be great to get back in the gym tomorrow too or maybe a light jog...

Comment

Total intake today: 1250

2 eggs, 1 egg white
            Brown bread sandwich w turkey ham cheese
            1 salmon cutlet w veg
            Mini roll, couple handfuls sesame seeds

Comment

Pain is close to unbearable today & with the Euros only 10 days away I think I'll have to go to a physio today. Basically I can barely walk or anything, had a shower earlier & it took me a solid 10 mins to dry myself. No idea what caused it to get worse.

Am going to book an appointment with these guys as they're close or should I go somewhere different?

Comment

Pain is close to unbearable today & with the Euros only 10 days away I think I'll have to go to a physio today. Basically I can barely walk or anything, had a shower earlier & it took me a solid 10 mins to dry myself. No idea what caused it to get worse.

Am going to book an appointment with these guys as they're close or should I go somewhere different?
                http://www.dublinphysio.ie/services/

Having suffered with lower back pain a few years ago its absolutley debilitating.

If its that bad i dont think youll be fine in 10 days are you going to Poland?
                id get some anti inflammetrys into me asap.
                Physio will help but will take time.
                I was so bad one time got 30 steps outside the house and totally seized up agony.

Was getting physio but didnt have any anti flamms.
                Rang my sister who delivered some took 2 and then 2 going to bed was like a new man the next day not 100% but able to walk normally.
                Goodluck

Comment

I pulled a muscle in my back and did minor disc damage about 2 weeks ago, I could barely move for first few days, kept getting spasms. Horrific stuff, I went to doctor first, he gave me difene and then went to physio, gave me exercises, has improved massively and am not to bad anymore. Difene's the gold though, nurofen or any ibuprofen will help to.

Comment

Ye've made my day lads! Spent the morning moping around feeling sorry for myself just because you always hear a back injury is a long arduous recovery. It's definitely improved here sitting down - I really think lying down is fucking me over because I'm much worse every morning than evening; today was just incredibly worse than the other days so must've been lying in the nut worst position...

Are the anti-inflamms prescription drugs? Don't fancy going to a doc & physio if physio can't write up a prescription. Otherwise, I'll go to the physio & get a lot of difene into me tonight!

If I'm like this come Friday week Sickpuppy I have no clue what I'll do. Should have a better idea Monday anyway after a Difene fuelled weekend! Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Comment

Ye've made my day lads! Spent the morning moping around feeling sorry for myself just because you always hear a back injury is a long arduous recovery. It's definitely improved here sitting down - I really think lying down is fucking me over because I'm much worse every morning than evening; today was just incredibly worse than the other days so must've been lying in the nut worst position...

Are the anti-inflamms prescription drugs? Don't fancy going to a doc & physio if physio can't write up a prescription. Otherwise, I'll go to the physio & get a lot of difene into me tonight!

If I'm like this come Friday week Sickpuppy I have no clue what I'll do. Should have a better idea Monday anyway after a Difene fuelled weekend! Thanks a lot for the feedback.
                      They are in this country can buy them in a pharmacy is Spain.

Id a supply but gave to a couple of friends so im out of them.

There is a gel voltarol should help but difene is your best bet.
                      Voltarol got me through some rugby matches when id strains definitely helps.

Difene can be very hard on the stomach so dont booze on them.

Id say youll be fine hopefully 10 days is long enough to get lots of treatment.

Comment

Ye there prescription, I have some extra if your anywhere near Churchtown/Dundrum your welcome to them. It's worse in the mornings ye, probably not as sore when you warm it up I guess. I couldnt even sit up the first couple days, so hopefully yours will be even quicker recovery wise.

The stretch I was given by the doc was to lie on my back, keep shoulders flat, lift up one knee then move it towards the floor on opposite side. You feel it in the leg mainly, gl

Comment

Turns out it's just a sprained muscle so should be ok for Poland. The physio helped a bit, definitely much better today so I'll just rest & do the stretches and hopefully feel 100% next weekend.

Comment

The back is pretty much sorted, relieved that the recovery was pretty much instant after the effects of physio wore off. Felt close to normal since Saturday.

So back to the log & the hard truths are I won't come close to making my targets. I was boozing & eating shite a lot over the last 2 weeks after a very good month before that. I was 76kg around 2 weeks ago so I'd settle for 77 now but I'm confident it's ~ 78.5kg. I'm going to go to the gym tonight or tomorrow and just cycle & weigh in, probably tonight. I plan to be on a deficit from now until departure on Friday but 74kg is a long way away now. It's a shame but the knowledge I've picked up over the past few months will stand to me, not just about fitness, strength & nutrition but about myself and reasons which lead to failure. And being honest I actually can't wait to come back and forget about this cutting malarkey. Once I'm home I'll be on a steady bulk hitting the weights most days but also with an eye on a (mini/)triathalon for around November.

TL DR: cutting is tough & boring.

Comment

Didn't make it to gym last night but was in today. Went in fasted and weighed in, surprisingly, at 75.5kg. Cycled 10km & ran 2.7km and weighed in at 75kg after. It's hard to know what to make of that as I'm pretty sure I've put on a bit of the fat I had lost. Perhaps I've lost muscle having not exercised much in the past 2 weeks, or maybe it's down to the fluctuations. Anyway this cut ends Friday when I jet off to the Euros so won't be seeing any summer abs but will be happy to see the back of watching everything I eat.

Comment

Had a small breakfast of a slice of toast & nutella & went to the gym. Weighed in at 74.1 & 73.7 after another cycling/running workout. Again probably fluctuations but I was surprised for the second day in a row. Unfortunately I think I still have the same fat, if not slightly more, than I had when 76kg so probably down to muscle loss.

Comment

Do less cardio then. Cardio will improve your general fitness, but it will strip away a lot of muscle mass.

Comment

Back from Poland & ready to focus on new goals. I didn't enjoy cutting one bit so am now excited to start bulking & strength training, with a view to competing in a triathalon around November aswell.

Training will follow SS 3 day a week training programme with 2 further days of cardio training. I'm not 100% on anything at the minute but plan for the first few weeks to have 1 running & 1 cycling cardio session weekly & have some sort of swimming training session after every workout as it would be my weakest area (75m straight would be difficult atm).

I've been home less than 12 hours so haven't done any of the research in to bulking. I know some of the basics though and once I figure out my intake requirements I should be able to do up some sample meals. Looking forward to the next few months now and not caring about what the scales say! Anyone have any recommendations on good beginner triathalons on later in the year let me know.

Comment

First session in about a month, felt great to be back lifting. Stuck to the Smith machine as I wanted to go for 5x reps and find my maximum at present. The max I got was 72.5kg + the bar but that was after 7 sets of 5x at marginally lower weights so I'm sure my true max is 75kg-80kg + bar. With a Smith machine are you meant to negate the weight of the bar as I know I can't bench 92.5kg on a normal barbell? Overall I'm happy anyway as weight was 75kg and I don't look to have lost significant muscle.

Unfortunately I came back from Poland with a bruised leg and some damage to my calf so I won't be doing a proper legs session for a few days yet. I'll focus on upper bodyweight workouts, core & swimming this week I think to ease myself back in.

Comment

With a Smith machine are you meant to negate the weight of the bar as I know I can't bench 92.5kg on a normal barbell?
                                        I think it depends. Some smith machines definitely feel like the bar is counter balanced. But it could be that the bar is just lighter. Any that I've felt haven't been 20kg anyway.

Comment

I'm going to post my diet for the next few days so I can get used to hitting ~2700 kcals (this should be enough with an adjusted BMR of 2200?) daily.

Diet:
                                          11 weetabix w 1 litre of milk (1700 kcals)
                                          3 pork chops w brocolli & white sauce (700 kcals)
                                          1 protein shake (250 kcals)

Basically I had weetabix for late breakfast, post-workout shake & dinner & realised I was miles short so just went with something easy & quick. Obviously I need to integrate nuts, nut butters, oils etc into diet to increase the calories more easily.

Just a few questions regarding bulking:
                                          - If my adjusted BMR is 2200 is 2700-3000 enough on training days & should I just keep it at maintenance on non-workout days?
                                          - Is hitting macros important, especially with fats?
                                          - What would ye say are the top 5 foods I should be eating? I hear things like almond butter, coconut oil, etc are great - is it much of a muchness in that any oil/fat/nut is just useful in increasing the kcals?

Comment

IDiet:
                                            11 weetabix w 1 litre of milk (1700 kcals)
                                            3 pork chops w brocolli & white sauce (700 kcals)
                                            1 protein shake (250 kcals)
                                            That's gas

Comment

Give me time, I'll be on the healthy stuff again soon!

Comment

Went for some of Mellor's rowing cardio workouts but failed at end of 2nd one:

Row 500m x 3 sets. Take 2 mins rest. Times were 2:42, 2:45 & 2:49.

Then I tried:
                                                4min row/3min rest/2min row/30sec rest/1min row/3mins rest/2min row/30sec rest/4min row. Total time works out at 20mins (13mins work/7mins rest)
                                                Record total distance.

Ended it just before the final 4km, didn't have it in the tank. Total distance 2300m. A very tough workout, I had planned to swim after but didn't.

Diet today:
                                                3 eggs, 2 slices toast w peanut butter & jam, 3 fish oil tablets
                                                Beef & guinness stew w potatoes & green beans
                                                1 large steak w brocolli & pepper sauce
                                                .5l milk, 3 handfuls of sesame seeds, 1 slice of toast w peanut butter & jam

Est intake: ~3000kcals

Comment

No workout today. Diet:

1 pack of sesame seeds (500)
                                                  1 beef pie w spuds (~500)
                                                  2.5-3 chicken fillets w cauliflower spuds cream cheese & basil (~800)

That's so far today & I'm full to the brim

Comment

800 kcals from that meal sounds quite off.

What are you using for kcal counting? An are you weighing stuff? Spuds and cheese would be at least 300kcals for a small portion IMO.

Comment

Have only been using figures from packaging & estimating based on that - its was only 2 avg potatoes & a handful of cheese plus about 200kcals of cream - should probably be closer to 1000 though. Any healthy high calorie foods that are good for bulking as my body's not used to eating ridic amounts atm?

Comment

Oils, nuts, good fatty meats. Duck, mince beef, lamb.

Use coconut milk in protein shakes, 400kcals in a tin.

Comment

Also, stop eating wheat.

It's as toxic for you as sugar is.

If I could give anyone(whether its weight loss, weight gain etc etc) one piece of advice it would be to stop eating high sugar and wheat based foods.

And yeah, coconut milk is the nuts. Superquinn do organic stuff for 1 euro a tin. Ship ship.

Pork is a great meat to eat while bulking too. Pork shoulder chops and bacon. Holy protein batman.

Comment

Just a few questions regarding bulking:
                                                            - If my adjusted BMR is 2200 is 2700-3000 enough on training days & should I just keep it at maintenance on non-workout days?
                                                            - Is hitting macros important, especially with fats?
                                                            - What would ye say are the top 5 foods I should be eating? I hear things like almond butter, coconut oil, etc are great - is it much of a muchness in that any oil/fat/nut is just useful in increasing the kcals?
                                                            • 2700+ everyday. You're body is going to recover, build muxcle on rest days. That's where the excess goes.
                                                            • Calories is mroe important. No poitn having perfect macros if you are 500 cals short. But I'd still try to more or less hit them when I can. Only resort to the eating anythign to get you over the line if your miles behind for the day
                                                            • Coconut milk/cream, avocado, various meats, real butter, nut butter - they'll all help get it you over the line. Almond butter is good but its ridic expensive.

small things like coconut milk or cream in a shake or cream and cheese on your spuds make it a lot easier.
                                                            I'm making a pizza with a base made from cauliflower and cheese tonight. Should be easy cals to get in. I'm doing it to avoid carbs especially wheat, but you could get ad carbs on the side.

Went for some of Mellor's rowing cardio workouts but failed at end of 2nd one:

Row 500m x 3 sets. Take 2 mins rest. Times were 2:42, 2:45 & 2:49.

Then I tried:
                                                            4min row/3min rest/2min row/30sec rest/1min row/3mins rest/2min row/30sec rest/4min row. Total time works out at 20mins (13mins work/7mins rest)
                                                            Record total distance.
                                                            Good effort. That second one looks handy at first, but the 2min row/30sec rest/4min row to finish is a killer. Fair play for trying two. I've been avoiding that one, but its up next for me. Ugh.

Comment

Excellent lads thanks a million - the diet updates should look a lot different after my trip to Hollands & Barretts today!

Comment

Did a short shoulders/upper back session yesterday as wanted to get in the pool. Hopped in expecting to be able to do a few without bother - I completed 10*25m in 15 mins Much much harder than I remembered (I used to be an ok swimmer); my breathing wasn't under control at all & I don't know if what I was doing with my legs was a help or a hindrance. I would be jaded after 1 length and wait 90-120 seconds before doing the next one. Obviously things can only get better from here but facing 30 lengths in sea water in 2 months is going to require serious training. Anyone been in my situation lately - do ye recommend a few swimming lessons or is it easy to pick up again after a few sessions? Tonight I'm going to do another one of Mellor's rowing exercises & aim for the 30 lengths (hopefully in less than 1hr).

Today I'll be getting the essentials food-wise! Yesterday's diet:

3 eggs, 2 slices bread w peanut butter & jam, 3 fish oils (600)
                                                                1 large chicken fillet w bacon mushrooms spuds (700)
                                                                2 salmon fillets w spuds caul cheese cream (800)
                                                                5 weetabix, 1 litre milk (1300)

Comment

http://www.swimsmooth.com

Lots of good stuff there on technique and routines.
                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                    http://www.swimsmooth.com

Lots of good stuff there on technique and routines.
                                                                    Great site, much appreciated. This is a great link for anyone who has difficulties with breathing while swimming: http://www.swimsmooth.com/breathing_beg.html

Comment

Going to try this one out Mellor but at a reduced 125m, should be fun

Row 150m intervals with 30 second recoveries x10, take a 3 minute break fully off, row 150m invervals with 45 second recoveries x10, take a 5 minute break fully off, row 150m intervals with 60 second recoveries, (Got that one from JamesHanley.ie). Should take about 45mins to 55mins (150m splits 30-50seconds)

Comment

Going to try this one out Mellor but at a reduced 125m, should be fun

Row 150m intervals with 30 second recoveries x10, take a 3 minute break fully off, row 150m invervals with 45 second recoveries x10, take a 5 minute break fully off, row 150m intervals with 60 second recoveries, (Got that one from JamesHanley.ie). Should take about 45mins to 55mins (150m splits 30-50seconds)
                                                                        My God that was tough! Did the 150m, wasn't really expecting to be able to finish it but pushed through - the first was easier than expected but then towards the end of the 2nd it got very tough and all 10 of the third set were making me give everything I could. Excellent workout!

Wanted to do more but the match took priority so swam 6 lengths. Thanks to Mocata I had a few things to try; the fact I wasn't exhaling under water yesterday meant it was always going to be easier today. Still needed a break after every length, just have to get used to the timing of breathing & breathing both sides & then just build up fitness in the pool. It's going to be tough to do 750m in 2 months but we'll see how the progress is.

Diet today:
                                                                        3 eggs, 1 toast w peanut butter & jam, 3 fish tabs (500)
                                                                        Chicken curry w rice (500)
                                                                        Protein shake (250)
                                                                        Sheperds pie (ready meal) w extra spuds cauliflower cheese cream (750)

Will have to top up with the weetabix

Comment

My God that was tough! Did the 150m, wasn't really expecting to be able to finish it but pushed through - the first was easier than expected but then towards the end of the 2nd it got very tough and all 10 of the third set were making me give everything I could. Excellent workout!
                                                                          Great stuff.
                                                                          It's a tough one alright. 150m is short enough that you can force it out of you to finish. But 30 splits add up quick. What sort of times were you getting for 150m? I've done 10 x 150 with all bar the last two being under 30s - but for 30 x 150m i'll have to drop that right down to survive.

Comment

For some reason the times of each split weren't showing up nor the total time. Each split took 14/15 full rows at ~2.5-3 second per row probably, so I'd say they were all 35-45 second range. That's pretty rough work though. Would've been nice to be able to see but once I got into it I wasn't bothered messing with the machine to try find out.

Calf is still far from recovered so back to chest/tris tonight, probably throw in a few other bits if I have time as planning on cycling tomorrow, swimming Sunday & taking Monday off.

Comment

If you toggle the display button and also the units button you can display various info to you liking. I like time and avg/500m.
                                                                              You can also go into the log from the menu and review the last few workouts.

Comment

Even though I've bitched & moaned about how much I hated cutting I'm going back to it. I came to the conclusion that there is no point starting a bulk when within a month the majority of my workouts are going to be triathalon-focused. I've got a decent program that involves intermittent fasting & only eating the healthiest of foods so am going to give it a go from Saturday on (one final drinking session for the month on Fri). Additionally I will be doing starting strength (the one with bench press/press & pull ups/chin ups alternating) 3x a week & cardio 2/3 other days of the week allowing 1 or 2 rest days.

Sample day of the diet is as follows:

• 08:30 am: 500ml’s water with a full lemon squeezed in
                                                                                • 08:30 am: 1 litre of water with 1 tablespoon of wheatgrass mixed in
                                                                                • 12pm: Chicken & celery salad, 1g Omega 3 fish oil
                                                                                • 2pm: Handful of almonds
                                                                                • 4pm: Large green salad with turkey & watercress, 1g Omega 3 fish oil
                                                                                • 5:30pm: Workout, post-workout shake
                                                                                • 7:30pm: : Salmon fillet cooked in coconut oil with 2 cups broccoli & cauliflower, 1g Omega 3
                                                                                • 9 pm: Cup of green tea

Will start SS tonight & get my max for 5*3 for the lifts. Will also weigh in.

Comment

you have almost no fat in your diet!?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                    you have almost no fat in your diet!?
                                                                                    Ya you're right. This diet was given to me by a PT but looks v short on fat alright. I might have to add 2/3 tablespoons of olive oil to every salad.

Comment

Ya you're right. This diet was given to me by a PT but looks v short on fat alright. I might have to add 2/3 tablespoons of olive oil to every salad.
                                                                                      Chop in some avocado maybe?

Comment

get some cheese on the brocolli and cauliflower, double the meat in all those portions.

Fats fats fats

nom nom nom

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                          get some cheese on the brocolli and cauliflower, double the meat in all those portions.

Fats fats fats

nom nom nom
                                                                                          Purposely avoiding dairy for the duration of this but need to be aware of the fat content of my meals alright, today's was low but I invested in some pine nuts to throw in the salads (around 20g fat per 1/3 a pack so they're v handy).

Only got started on this properly today. Diet was as follows (doing intermittent fasting too):

2 green tea, 1 lemon juice & water, 1 Tulsi tea
                                                                                          1 large salad w mixed leaves, red onion, peppers, tomatoes & cajun chicken, 2g fish oil (~300)
                                                                                          1 haddock fillet w 3 cups brocolli & cauliflower, 2g fish oil(350)
                                                                                          1 protein shake (250) & 1 boiled egg (100)

It's pretty short on calories but that's due to getting the salad in a cafe so portion of chicken was small & not having nuts purchased. I've made three salads for rest of working week with 2 chicken fillets in each and a 1/3 pack of pine nuts which should bring it up to about ~1450 calories. Might increase the egg quantity as the week goes on depending on energy levels.

Day 1 of SS today (for second time but wanted to re-do it). Increased the squat & bench by 2.5 which I'll try do every session until I can't anymore. DL I'll increase by 5kg every week (only done once compared to 3 x the bench & squat). Plan to do SS Mon Wed & Fri/Sat with cardio twice also.
                                                                                          S = 92.5 * 5 * 3
                                                                                          B = 72.5 * 5 * 3
                                                                                          DL = 90 * 5 * 3

Goals for month end are 100 squat, 80 bench & 110 DL. Weight currently 78.5kg. Won't bother having a target here I'll just stick to the cut religiously this time & we'll see what happens.
                                                                                          Last edited by FeetMagic; 11-07-12, 14:43.

Comment

Diet today:
                                                                                            1 lemon in hot water, 1 tulsi tea
                                                                                            Salad with spinach leaves, red onion, pepper, 2 chicken fillets, 1/3 pack pine nuts, 2g fish oil (680)
                                                                                            2 steak fillets, plate of brocolli & cauliflower (600)
                                                                                            1 egg (100)

Was a tough day until I ate lunch. I really needed the egg early in the morning and was struggling again for the hour or 2 before lunch - it's probably just psychological adjusting to the intermittent fasting, I'll try harder tomorrow.

Went to the gym just to swim: completed the 750m that I'll have to do in the triathalon. It took 33 mins though so a lot of improvement needed. I'm thinking my set up should now be SS 3x a week, 2x 30l swims & 1 session of cycling/running. Tomorrow will be first time doing overhead press - any tips?
                                                                                            Last edited by FeetMagic; 12-07-12, 08:38. Reason: Edited to include pine nuts

Comment

1200kcals a day???

what are you up to man! You can't possibly be able to train on that. Please tell me you're not planning on keeping this up very often. I wouldn't advise a calorie budget that low for someone who was completely sedentary.

Day would be close to spot on with 2 more eggs with cheese and ham for an omllette for breakfast, as well as some nuts or just plain old oil for fat increase. You are getting the protein right, but missing the fuel. Protein is for growth and repair, fat is for pumping the body.
                                                                                              Last edited by Emmet; 11-07-12, 19:32.

Comment

Cool will take on board, think I'm just going to up the egg content for now, will see how I am tomorrow. What do you think I should be taking in fat wise, 30-40 grams? I left out pine nuts in the salad actually 1/3 of the pack is around 20g fat & 180 kcals! Still short but have same lunch for rest of week so I'll just increase eggs to 2 or 3.

Comment

1200 cals a day?

Please tell me i'm reading that wrong.

Should be at least 3 times that, if not 4 times if you're trying to gain strength, power and size.

How on earth are you getting stronger/gaining muscle on such low calories? I'm actually pretty baffled.

Comment

What's your BMR?

I'm 5'9 and 79kgs, ~2200kcals per day.
                                                                                                    Take 500 off when aiming to lose weight = Aim for 1700 kcals

big breakfast of eggs, ham, cheese ~ 400kcals
                                                                                                    lunch of salmon fillet, loads of stir fry veg ~ 300kcals
                                                                                                    dinner of fatty meat with brocolli and cauliflower cheese ~ 500 kcals

snacks during day - have however many needed. Keep portion sizes of each to roughly 100kcals for ease
                                                                                                    Protein shake with water ~ 100kcals
                                                                                                    random slices of ham and cheese ~ 100kcals
                                                                                                    handful of nuts ~100kcals
                                                                                                    Tblspoon of peanut butter, pressed into dessicated coconut as a "goo-ball".

etc etc etc

You need to eat more though. 1200kcals will not be sustainable whatsoever if you're training at all.

If you're trying to put on weight you should be aiming for at least 1000kcals more than that per day though.

Comment

I'm on a cut & attempting to gain strength simultaneously but cut is primary goal for the next 4 weeks. My BMR is ~2200 too but I'm happy to cut on ~16-1700 a day for now - today was 1380 so with an extra egg or 2 & protein shake it should suffice. Tomorrow will be much more in line with how the next 4 weeks will be.

Comment

also this will help

Comment

Diet (increased cals to bring to ~1600 plus some for the extra cardio):
                                                                                                          Lemon in hot water, 1 tulsi tea
                                                                                                          Salad with spinach leaves, red onion, pepper, 2 chicken fillets, 1/3 pack pine nuts, 2g fish oil (680)
                                                                                                          4 turkey fillets, small portion of brocolli & cauliflower, 2g fish oil (950)
                                                                                                          1 protein shake (220)

Workout (day 2 of SS):
                                                                                                          3*5*85kg squat (105kg with bar on Smith machine) - hard to tell if this was more or less than 92.5kg, was v tough either way. Now I can work off this or the free bar depending what's free.
                                                                                                          1*5*90kg deadlift.
                                                                                                          3*5*35kg overhead press - first time doing this, shoulders were wrecked after.
                                                                                                          Ran 3km at 12km/hr - I had hoped my running wasn't hampered by a 6 week lay off. Obviously it was. Found this very tough.

Comment

Still not enough cals there.

Shoulder press is a bitch, but a great exercise. Will really help define your shoulders, traps and rhomboids. Not to mention improve your flexibility too.

Comment

here's an idea to increase cals.

HAVE BREAKFAST

Comment

Originally posted by Moneymaker View Post
                                                                                                                Still not enough cals there.

Shoulder press is a bitch, but a great exercise. Will really help define your shoulders, traps and rhomboids. Not to mention improve your flexibility too.
                                                                                                                Dude I'm on a cut, it's going to be around 1600 every day. No problems so far.

Comment

The idea is to be 500 below your BMR without exercise.

If you are doing 500kcals worth of exercise, you need to be eating to recover. Moneymaker will tell you all about cutting. Find his log! He absolutely knows what to do...

Comment

How do you gauge how many cals you're losing to lifting weights? Makes sense alright but what are the risks attached with doing such a low deficit? Might compromise around 1900/2000 so.

Comment

pretty tough to gauge cals from a weight lifting session alright. Think Mellor had some ideas about it before though.

Comment

How do you gauge how many cals you're losing to lifting weights? Makes sense alright but what are the risks attached with doing such a low deficit? Might compromise around 1900/2000 so.
                                                                                                                        It's pretty hard to work out. All the calculators use subjective terms for intensity like "moderate lifting", "vigorous lifting" - There's too much personal opinion to be accurate. Then there's the issue of strength, a stronger guy can lift more at the same level of perceived intensity.
                                                                                                                        The energy required to do the work is actually tiny, 5 x 5 bench with 100kg is 2-3 calories. But the body burns so much more through heart rate and everything else.

I'm going to the gym later. Squat/Bench/Row 5 x 5 (kinda) I'll wear my HRM and see what the calories burned over the session are. Similar enough in size.

Comment

How do you know? Are you taking bodyfat measurements? Skinfolds? The weighing scale is only part of it, a very small part.

I can't see how you're going to keep up that level of training with so little nutrients to assist your repair.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X