Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old Yesterday, 15:40   #881
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
I can't express strongly enough how much better running outside is.

When I started all I was doing was treadmill, I think I was afraid to get outside for whatever reason but having started running outside and been back on the treadmill a few times lately the treadmill is fucking cat. Seems to be way harder for the same pace also somehow.

If you're getting out of breath is there anything stopping you running a bit slower? The answer to a lot of things in running seems to be 'run slower'. A couple of us have gotten a lot faster lately mostly by running slowly.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:37   #882
tylerdurden94
Ad-Min-Is-Trator Yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
I can't express strongly enough how much better running outside is.

When I started all I was doing was treadmill, I think I was afraid to get outside for whatever reason but having started running outside and been back on the treadmill a few times lately the treadmill is fucking cat. Seems to be way harder for the same pace also somehow.

If you're getting out of breath is there anything stopping you running a bit slower? The answer to a lot of things in running seems to be 'run slower'. A couple of us have gotten a lot faster lately mostly by running slowly.
I've only run outside once at that was at the start and since all my running as been done inside, I've a plan of transitioning to running outside when the weather gets better. My missus & her friend would run in the park in the mornings but they would skip it a majority of the time if the weather wasn't great so they joined the gym also which gives them more flexibility when it it comes to get their runs in.

When I was doing the earlier weeks I was running at a much faster speed as I was doing running/walking in between but since I've started running continuously I start running at 7.5 and push it up .1 every minute until about 8.5 and then lower it back down .1 until I reach 7.5 and work my way back up once again. I would slow myself down it I felt my legs were getting tired, I feel though my right side tends to feel a little more tight when I do so as my balance might tend to shift to that side.

I've been running at 6am and don't have anything to eat before running, any suggestions on what I should of if I should eat beforehand?

Last edited by tylerdurden94; Yesterday at 16:39.
tylerdurden94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 19:10   #883
Lazare
GFML

@Dobby, that's fooking awesome man, delighted to read that.

@Danny, have a couple of nuggets of advice based on experience.

Breathing, practise using your diaphragm to breath. Breath in with your mouth, feel it in your abdomen. This allows for max oxygen intake. You'll also need to make sure your posture is good. Chin up, chest out. Imagine your wind pipe as a hose. Having your chin down effectively kinks the pipe, restricting oxygen.

My main advice to you though is to slow down. Forget about notching the treadmill up for a while. Right now all you want to do is train the aerobic system. That's what builds speed and endurance. Running too fast switches the aerobic system off.
You should be able to stop at any point and have a chat as if you were walking. It may seem ridiculous, you will feel like you're getting nowhere. Believe me though, you'll be getting stronger and stronger.

Do that until mid April until the weather gets good then get out on the roads. Sign up to parkrun.

The best endurance athletes in the world only run fast 20% of the time. 80% of their training is slow easy running, building their aerobic engine.

Delighted you've caught the bug.

Last edited by Lazare; Yesterday at 19:14.
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 19:12   #884
Lazare
GFML

Also, don't bother eating before your run if you're running early morns. You've tons of fuel from the previous day. I run everything before work, never eat beforehand.
Old Yesterday, 22:35   #885
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
Just looking to get some tips/advice as I'm finding my breathing a bit difficult to manage when I'm starting to push pass 15 minutes, what's the best way to increase my endurance and how to quicken my pace?

All help greatly appreciated
Less scientific that Lazare but my tuppence worth would be after 8-10 mins cut your pace drastically and see if you can breakthrough the breathing issue.

Don't worry about pace right now. Minutes, endurance, keeping going - up to 30 mins - is an easily achievable goal based on your progress so far.

Thirty mins opens up a whole new world like park runs which could be the perfect way to transition to outside regularly.

Once you're outside you'll never want to go back inside.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; Yesterday at 22:40.
BennyHiFi is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Yesterday, 23:15   #886
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Also, don't bother eating before your run if you're running early morns. You've tons of fuel from the previous day. I run everything before work, never eat beforehand.
Corkagh park for me tomorrow see you there
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:23   #887
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodluck2me View Post
Corkagh park for me tomorrow see you there

Nice one! See you there. I've a little over 14k to do so I'll try get there early to get a lump of it done.

See you around the start area about 9.15?
Old Today, 08:08   #888
Goodluck2me

Quote:

Just looking to get some tips/advice as I'm finding my breathing a bit difficult to manage when I'm starting to push pass 15 minutes, what's the best way to increase my endurance and how to quicken my pace?

All help greatly appreciated
Hey, good to see another active member, what I find useful when Iíve just finished my 2km and HR is getting higher is to run whatís feels like the same pace but with long deep breaths, and that calms me down and effectively acclimatized me to the new normal of that HR. If it doesnít get even slight better then youíre running too fast.

Quote:
but they would skip it a majority of the time if the weather wasn't great so they joined the gym...

I've been running at 6am and don't have anything to eat before running, any suggestions on what I should of if I should eat beforehand?
Outside in the rain is great! The only weather I donít like is very hot! Also agree with Laz, no need to before a run up to 10am Iíd say. Drink a glass of water though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Breathing, practise using your diaphragm to breath. Breath in with your mouth, feel it in your abdomen. This allows for max oxygen intake.
This sounds like what I do. By the way Iím happy to do more than the 5km, Iíll get on up to 10km you after, could do the course twice?
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old Today, 08:26   #889
Solksjaer!

I've been running slow by default however I did my 1st sub 5 min K during the week (since the 90s) after 4 miserable kms. I was speaking Swahili afterwards. Probably a bad idea . I blame the music . Back to snailing it .

My mantra . Snail it to nail it. One for you Tyler
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old Today, 08:36   #890
Solksjaer!

This will make you cry .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...34047873453112
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:37   #891
Lazare
GFML

Great stuff Joe, we'll do a couple of laps so.
Old Today, 08:37   #892
Lazare
GFML

Snail it to nail it.

Love it
Old Today, 12:13   #893
Lazare
GFML

Cheers Joe for the amazing chat. Really enjoyed that.
Old Today, 12:36   #894
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Fair play lads hopefully I can join ye sometime in the not too distant
Old Today, 12:41   #895
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane View Post
Fair play lads hopefully I can join ye sometime in the not too distant
Ah it was great, we went for a coffee and toastie afterwards, such an enjoyable time. Your name came up actually, I was telling Joe you were good craic. Definitely do it next time.
Old Today, 14:11   #896
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Don't believe a word of it Joe
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games