No announcement yet.

Get healthy and fit of course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 pull ups, 10 jumping squats, 6 chin ups, 15 alternating lunges, 12 narrow clap push ups, 10 box jumps, 10 diamond push ups... 15 sec rest, 1.5 min after set x 4

Comment

Today:

5km run/walk to & from gym
      Bench: 65kg x 10 x 3
      DL: 60kgx5, 90kgx3, 110kgx2, 140kgx1 (PB)
      Incline bench: 50kg x 10 x 3 (think I'm capable of 55-60)
      Bent over row: 28kg x 10 x 3
      Pull ups: +5kg x 6, 6, 4
      Wide chest press: 14kg x 10 x 3

Pleased with the DL. I'd like to be able to do 2x BW, unfortunately my diet couldn't have been worse the past 10 days, packing away 3000+ calories a night of sugary shite At 78kg atm so hopefully can hit 75kg and 150kg DL in the coming month.

Comment

5km run/walk to gym
        Leg Press: 90kg x 10 x 3
        Shoulder Press: 40kg x 10, x 8, 35kg x 9
        Leg Curl: 70kg x 10 x 3
        Lateral raises: 9kg dbs x 10 x 3 (much harder than expected)
        Lunges: 14kg dbs x 20 x 3
        Barbell Shrugs: 80kg x 10 x 3
        Dips: BW x 15 x 2

Comment

5km walk/run to gym
          Bench: 67.5kg x 10 x 3
          DL: 85kg x 10 x 2
          Incline bench: 55kg x 10 x 3 (60 def possible)
          Bent over row: 30kg x 10 x 3
          5 pull ups, 10 narrow clap push ups x 2

Looking forward to next chest session, will aim for 70 bench and 60 incline for 10 x 3.

Comment

Yesterday:

Leg Press: 110kg x 10 x 3
            Arnold Press: 14 DBs x 10 x 3
            Walking lunges: 16 DBs x 20 x 3
            Chin ups: 10, 8, 7
            Leg Curls: 75kg x 10 x 3
            Shoulder Press: 20 DBs x 10 x 2, x 7
            Pull ups: 5 x 3
            Dips: 15 x 2

Comment

Haven't updated this in a while. I ended up doing my back in at the next gym session I had attempting to DL 150kg. It's a recurrence of an injury I had before and is nearly back to normal. I've said it a thousand times but when I do get back in the gym I'll devote a lot more time to technique on these lifts and also mobility work/stretching.

Anyway, I've been back training a week or so but am focusing only on cardio atm with a view to competing in a half tri in just under a month's time (albeit highly dependant on my swimming improving dramatically). Also, back to healthy eating to cut some of the weight I piled on the past two months. Training so far has been overly focused on running but swimming will take priority from here on in.

08/08/2013 3km run
              09/08/2013 11km cycle, 2km run
              10/08/2013 11km cycle, 3.2km run
              11/08/2013 5km run
              12/08/2013 6.5km run
              13/08/2013 5.5km run (~25mins), 750m swim (7 lengths, 8, 5, 5, 5)
              14/08/2013 5km run
              15/08/2013 5.6km run

Comment

16/08/2013 3km slow run, 500m swim
                17/08/2013 5.5km run, 750m swim

Just been working on technique primarily with the swimming. I know what I'm doing wrong and what I need to be doing so that's fine. Just a matter of whether or not I can build up the fitness to complete 750m safely in the next 3 weeks.

Comment

18/08/2013 5.2km run (23:15), 750m swim (21 mins)

Delighted with both times. Pretty much back to my normal levels of fitness so now I can look on improving times over the coming times.

Comment

19/08/2013 5.2km slow run, 750m swim (20 mins)
                    20/08/2013 500m swim

Comment

23/08/2013 Light gym session, 5km treadmill (20:52)

Mixed bag today. Was disappointed to weigh in at 79.8kg but just shows that a lot of exercise can't outdo a bad diet as I was roughly the same weight when I started training 2 weeks ago. On the other hand, that's a PB by a long way for me. I think previous PB would've been around 22 mins a year ago so I was very surprised with the time I achieved and think I can get it sub 20 mins by the time of the tri (4 weeks now).

I'll put some realistic goals to reach by the time the tri comes around:
                      Weight - 74kg
                      750m swim - 18 mins
                      20km cycle - 40 mins
                      5km cycle - 20 mins

Comment

Strained my calf during the last run and picked up a cold so been taking it easy.

24/08/2013 Rest
                        25/08/2013 Light gym session
                        26/08/2013 Rest
                        27/08/2013 1500m swim (54 mins)

Comment

28/08/2013 5.2km run (23:40), 500m swim
                          29/08/2013 Rest
                          30/08/2013 Rest
                          31/08/2013 Rest
                          01/09/2013 Rest
                          02/09/2013 5km run, 750m swim
                          03/09/2013 Light gym session, 750m swim
                          04/09/2013 750m swim (20 mins), 500m swim
                          05/09/2013 Rest

Need to crack on now, little over 3 weeks left.

Comment

06/09/2013 Rest
                            07/09/2013 500m sea swim
                            08/09/2013 17km cycle

Comment

09/09/2013 30km cycle
                              10/09/2013 5.5km run

Comment

11/09/2013 15.5km cycle & 2.8km run, 1km swim
                                12/09/2013 Rest
                                13/09/2013 7.5km cycle, 5km run
                                14/09/2013 Rest
                                15/09/2013 Rest
                                16/09/2013 7.5km cycle, 5km run, 750m swim (15 x 50m freestyle)
                                17/09/2013 Rest
                                18/09/2013 17km cycle, 5km run (75 mins: 50mins & 25mins)

Comment

About 10 days to go?

Time to plan your at your last few big sessions and then taper for the event

Comment

Ya it's on Sunday week. I'm going to keep doing dual training until Tuesday I'd say and probably just do 1 single of each Wed-Fri and take Sat off. Most important thing for me now is to try to get 5 or more good swimming sessions in as I'm still weak at it.

Comment

What distances are you doing?

I've a 400m, 24.6k, 6.5k (s/c/r) on Sunday and can't stop my left calf cramping. Think it's off to a physio tonight to re-apply my muscle. Can't break it down on the foam roller (am a novice at it!).

Comment

It's 750m - 20km - 5km. I had calf strain for a few days a couple of weeks ago and just stretched it as much as possible and used vodka bottle/tennis ball for rolling it out. Not sure if these helped though or it went naturally but maybe try rolling with different shaped objects.

Comment

19/09/2013 18km cycle (53 mins), 2km run, 750m swim (26 mins)
                                          20/09/2013 800m swim (100m x 6, 50m x 4), 500m swim

Race is actually on Saturday so will do 2 more duals tomorrow and Mon, and do short sessions after that. Hopefully swim every day till Thurs.

Comment

21/09/2013 17km cycle

Pool not open on Saturdays unfortunately.

Comment

22/09/2013 4km run (18mins), 600m swim

Comment

23/09/2013 19km cycle (47.5mins), 2km run
                                                24/09/2013 750 swim (17.5 mins)

Delighted with the swim time

Comment

Got my first sprint triathlon done yesterday. It was quite enjoyable, nice course and good weather. Overall I could've done better especially with swim and transitions (should've listened to Emmet) but happy to get sub 1:40 anyway. Times were:

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                    Got my first sprint triathlon done yesterday. It was quite enjoyable, nice course and good weather. Overall I could've done better especially with swim and transitions (should've listened to Emmet) but happy to get sub 1:40 anyway. Times were:
                                                    Ha! I was driving past a load of you lads cycling back up towards Kilashee yesterday morning. I even let a roar out the window 'Gwan Feet Magic'
                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I was down in Kilashee yesterday morning while this was on. Thats my gym. If Id have known you were gonna be there Id have made an effort to say hello!!
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Congrats!!
                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I've no idea the cycle time compares but the swim opener looks decent and a sub 25 5m is good after 70+mins of exertion.
                                                          Congrats.

Whats next? another sprint, push the distance or something else.

Comment

nice one, what were the distances?

Still getting annoyed looking at my T1, think it was the 8 slowest of 500 odd people relative to the swim length. Absolutely poisoned my time!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              nice one, what were the distances?

Still getting annoyed looking at my T1, think it was the 8 slowest of 500 odd people relative to the swim length. Absolutely poisoned my time!
                                                              It was 750m swim, 20km cycle and 5km run. Ya my T1 is one of the highest too. The winner somehow did it in a minute flat so there is definitely room for improvement there.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                              I've no idea the cycle time compares but the swim opener looks decent and a sub 25 5m is good after 70+mins of exertion.
                                                              Congrats.

Whats next? another sprint, push the distance or something else.
                                                              Ya I was just a bit disappointed with swim because I've done better in training and was confident I'd hit 16 something if I went first in pool but alas was stuck behind people who hit ~19 mins and only got the chance to overtake half way through. The cycle time is pretty poor but I wasn't expecting any better, just need to train on the bike more often.

Triathlon season is over now until early next year but I'm pretty sure I'll do a couple more sprints then. I don't really have the desire to devote all my training toward completing a full one. Instead, I'm planning on doing 3 x bulking/lifting sessions, 1 x conditioning, 1 x swim and 1 x run/cycle each week for the coming months and will be taking part in a couple of the adventure runs, probably Turf Warrior and Runamuck.

Comment

First session down and it was pretty disappointing but it has been a few months at this stage.

Chest/Triceps:
                                                                Bench Press: 55kg x 10 x 3
                                                                Incline bench press: Failed to get 10 at 50kg, 45kg, 40kg, 35kg and 30kg all on Smith machine (no adjustable bench for barbell). This was incredibly frustrating, just kept hitting wall after 7 or 8. Wasn't sure on bench position and obviously should've started lower; same can be said for most of the exercises so I'll keep that in mind for next sessions.
                                                                DB flyes: 12.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                Skullcrushers: 15kg DB x 10, EZ curl + 10kg x 10 x 2. First time doing these and didn't feel comfortable at any stage so will probably use a different isolation exercise next week.
                                                                Tricep extension: 20kg x 10, 10, 9
                                                                Dips: BW x 9, 6. Again, hugely disappointing but arms were jelly at this stage.

Diet today was big bowl of porridge, almond flakes, banana, 3 slices of rye bread, large tin of tuna, cheese, protein shake, chicken fillet, potato & veg. Pretty sure there's too many carbs there. I'll work out estimates later.
                                                                Last edited by FeetMagic; 01-10-13, 13:13.

Comment

Measurements that I'll be using as a guide to progress:

Weight = 78.4
                                                                  Left Leg = 54cm
                                                                  Right Leg = 55cm
                                                                  Waist = 81cm
                                                                  Chest = 97cm
                                                                  Right arm = 32 cm
                                                                  Left arm = 31cm

Will check monthly.

Comment

Diet today was big bowl of porridge, almond flakes, banana, 3 slices of rye bread, large tin of tuna, cheese, protein shake, chicken fillet, potato & veg. Pretty sure there's too many carbs there. I'll work out estimates later.
                                                                    Wouldn't worry too much about that, you are definitely earning your carbs.

Comment

Back/Biceps:

Deadlift: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                      Barbell Curls: 40kg x 10 x 3
                                                                      Lat Pulldown: 50kg x 10 x 3
                                                                      Bent Over Row: 27.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                      Barbell Shrugs: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                      Pull ups: 5 x 3
                                                                      Chin ups: 5 x 3

Comment

Legs/Shoulders:

DB Shoulder Press: 15kg x 10 x 3
                                                                        Squat: 40kg x 10 x 3
                                                                        Leg Press: 100kg x 10 x 3
                                                                        Leg Extension: 45kg x 10 x 3
                                                                        Calf Raises: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                        DB Lunges: 12.5kg x 10 x 2
                                                                        Seated DB Lateral Raises: 5kg x 10 x 3

Decent session. Said I'd give squats another look at low weights. Did them at side angle so I could see back movement and unfortunately my back still rounds near the bottom of the movement. I don't even go that deep so I don't see the point, really, in squatting to the point before it rounds. Does anyone know if this a major issue? All I know is I got injured before squatting heavy weights and someone pointed out the rounded back weeks/months later so I presumed the two were correlated.

Comment

Chest high. You'll need to drill the movement before you load the weight.
                                                                          Looking in a mirror will affect you negatively, record yourself squatting an empty bar. Then load up a little and record again.

Note the errors and go back to basics.

Look at "So you think you can Squat" on youtube (Dave Tate)

(forgot to ask you, did you do your tri in a trisuit or just normal gear?)

Comment

Where do you train? Ill go through it with you if you want some day.
                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                              (forgot to ask you, did you do your tri in a trisuit or just normal gear?)
                                                                              Cheers for that Emmet. I did the tri in normal gear which prob added min 30 seconds to first transition as I struggled to get a t-shirt on my wet body!

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                              Where do you train? Ill go through it with you if you want some day.
                                                                              Train in Galway. I have a mate coming home from abroad who is a certified trainer so I'll try get a session in with him. Until then I'll look at vids on youtube and keep the weight low.

Comment

Yest:
                                                                                500m swim

Today:
                                                                                20km cycle

Comment

Yest:

Bench Press: 60kg x 10, 10, 7
                                                                                  Incline Smith Machine: 35kg x 10, 10, 7
                                                                                  Dumbbell flyes: 15kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                  Skullcrushers: EZ bar + 10kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                  Tricep Ext: 20kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                  Dips: 11, 10

Comment

Today:

Deadlift: 70kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                    Bent Over Row: 30kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                    Lat Pulldown: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                    Shrugs: 20kg plates x 25 x 2
                                                                                    Seated Curls: EZ + 30kg x 7 ... pulled something in back/lat area, nothing major it seems
                                                                                    Chin ups: 7 x 3

Comment

Happy with today's session, felt like I could've gone higher on most of the exercises.

Legs/Shoulders:

Squat: 50kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                      Leg Press: 110kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                      Leg Extension: 50kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                      Calf Raises: 70kg SM x 10 x 2 ... the step up thing didn't feel fully secure and don't really like this exercise or find it too taxing so I'll switch to something else.
                                                                                      Shoulder Press: 17.5kg x 10, 10, 9
                                                                                      Seated lateral raises: 5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                      Lunges: 15kg x 10 x 2

Comment

10/10/2013 Rest
                                                                                        11/10/2013 Sea swim
                                                                                        12/10/2013 8km charity run (36:34)

Comment

Chest/Tris:

Bench Press: 60kg x 10, 10, 8
                                                                                          Incline Smith Machine: 35kg x 9, 10, 10
                                                                                          Dumbbell flyes: 15kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                          Skullcrushers: EZ bar + 15kg x 9, 9, 7
                                                                                          Dips: 10, 10
                                                                                          Decline DB press: 15kg x 7, 10, 9
                                                                                          Tricep Ext: 25kg x 10, 35kg x 10 x 2

Comment

Back/Biceps:

Deadlift: 80kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                            Barbell Shrugs: 80kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                            Lat Pulldown: 55kg x 10 x 1, 65kg x 10 x 2
                                                                                            Bent Over Row: 32.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                            Pull ups: 6, 5, 4
                                                                                            Bicep Curls: EZ bar + 20kg x 10 x 3

Comment

Legs/Shoulders:

Shoulder Press: 20kg x 10, 9, 6
                                                                                              Arnold presses: 12.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                              Lateral raises: 7.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                              Squat: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                              Leg Press: 120kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                              Leg Extension: 55kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                              Leg Curls: 40kg x 10 x 3

Still have more to give on squat and press for sure.

Comment

16/10/2013 10km easy cycle
                                                                                                17/10/2013 Small bit of HIIT (4 hill sprints, 20 push ups x 2), seas swim

Chest/Tris:
                                                                                                Bench Press: 60kg x 10, 10, 8
                                                                                                Incline DB press: 17.5kg x 9 x 3
                                                                                                DB flyes: 17.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                Skullcrushers: EZ+12.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                Decline DB press: 15kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                Tri Extension: 30kg x 9, 25kg x 10 x 2
                                                                                                Dips: 10, 9

Comment

Back/Biceps:

Deadlift: 85kg x 10, 10, 7 (grip went, don't think I'll go any higher for 10 reps)
                                                                                                  Barbell Shrugs: 85kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                  Lat Pulldown: 65kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                  Pull ups: 6 x 3
                                                                                                  Bicep Curls: EZ+20kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                  Bent Over Row: 27.5kg x 10 x 3

Comment

Legs/Shoulders:

Squat: 70kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                    Leg Press: 130kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                    Leg Extension: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                    Leg Curls: 60kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                    Shoulder Press: 20kg x 10, 7, 17.5kg x 8
                                                                                                    Lateral raises: 7.5kg x 10 x 1, 5kg x 10 x 2
                                                                                                    Arnold presses: 12.5kg x 10 x 2

Comment

On antibiotics atm so will just be taking it easy for the next week, probably try swim most days. Will check weight/measurements on Thurs to see 1 month progress & think I'll stick to current program for another month but need to try and get much more conditioning work in.

21/10/2013 Rest
                                                                                                      22/10/2013 1km swim
                                                                                                      23/10/2013 Rest
                                                                                                      24/10/2013 750m swim

Comment

25/10/2013 750m swim
                                                                                                        26/10/2013 7.8km run

Comment

27/10/2013 1km swim
                                                                                                          28/10/2013 Rest
                                                                                                          29/10/2013 750m swim
                                                                                                          30/10/2013 Rowing Conditioning: 500m x 1min rest x 3 (1:41:2, 1:42:7, 1:48:9), 150m x 1min rest x 5 (29.1, 28.8, 29.3, 29.6, 30.0), 200m swim

Had a read through some of this log earlier to find Mellor's rowing workouts, my god some of the content is hilarious on my part. This one was a beaut:

Diet:
                                                                                                          11 weetabix w 1 litre of milk (1700 kcals)
                                                                                                          3 pork chops w brocolli & white sauce (700 kcals)
                                                                                                          1 protein shake (250 kcals)
                                                                                                          Found the rowing very tough. Planned to do 10 sets of the second workout but swapped the last 5 for a swim which I wasn't able for either Great quick workout though!
                                                                                                          Last edited by FeetMagic; 30-10-13, 14:21.

Comment

31/10/2013 700m swim, 5km run (22:02)
                                                                                                            01/11/2013 1km swim
                                                                                                            02/11/2013 10k Turf Warrior (2:44)

Very happy with the 5km time and delighted to complete first adventure run. Was frozen and wet throughout but there were fun parts. Don't think it's something I'll bother with again any time soon.

Comment

03/11/2013 Rest

Today: Chest/Tris

Bench: 60kg x 10, 10, 8
                                                                                                              Incline DB press: 17.5kg x 10, 10, 8
                                                                                                              DB flyes: 17.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                              Skullcrushers: EZ + 12.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                              Decline DB press: 17.5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                              Dips: 14, 7, 8
                                                                                                              Tricep Ext: 25kg x 10 x 3

Comment

1 month progress below. I don't feel that I've put on much fat so the majority of the weight gain looks to be muscle. Pretty much same story for the next month but will actually make sure I do 1 conditioning day a week and try tighten the diet on non-lifting days.

Measurements that I'll be using as a guide to progress:

Weight = 78.4 79.8
                                                                                                                Left Leg = 54cm 57cm
                                                                                                                Right Leg = 55cm 57cm
                                                                                                                Waist = 81cm 83cm
                                                                                                                Chest = 97cm 101cm
                                                                                                                Right arm = 32 cm 33cm
                                                                                                                Left arm = 31cm 33cm

Will check monthly.

Comment

Today: Back/Biceps

Deadlift: 80kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                  Bent Over Row: 30kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                  Lat Pulldown: 70kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                  Barbell Shrugs: 90kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                  Bicep Curls: EZ+20kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                  Pull ups: 6 x 3
                                                                                                                  Chin ups: 6 x 3

Comment

Legs/Shoulders:

Squat: 75kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                    Leg Press: 140kg x 10, 130kg x 10 x 2
                                                                                                                    Leg Extension: 70kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                    Shoulder Press: 20kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                    Seated Lateral raises: 5kg x 10 x 3
                                                                                                                    Arnold presses: 12.5kg x 10 x 3

Comment

Nice conditioning set up for tomorrow:

150m row, 30 second rest x 10 (splits under 35 seconds)
                                                                                                                      3 min rest
                                                                                                                      150m row, 45 second rest x 10 (splits under 33 seconds)
                                                                                                                      5 min rest
                                                                                                                      150m row, 60 second rest x 10 (splits under 31 seconds)

Comment

Nice conditioning set up for tomorrow:

150m row, 30 second rest x 10 (splits under 35 seconds)
                                                                                                                        3 min rest
                                                                                                                        150m row, 45 second rest x 10 (splits under 33 seconds)
                                                                                                                        5 min rest
                                                                                                                        150m row, 60 second rest x 10 (splits under 31 seconds) All were under 30 secs
                                                                                                                        That was a pretty good workout but think I need to reduce each round by a second if I do it again. Only got really tough for the last 4 whereas I was expecting the last 10 to be unbearable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                          5) 4min row/3min rest/2min row/30sec rest/1min row/3mins rest/2min row/30sec rest/4min row. Total time works out at 20mins (13mins work/7mins rest)
                                                                                                                          Record total distance.
                                                                                                                          3458m total. Was a pretty dismal last 4 mins but got there. I like these rowing workouts - short but seriously sweaty. Short swim after.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X