Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
    Approachinsg the best bit imo.
    Yeah i'd say the last quarter of the book was the best - was reading it in fits and starts for 6 or 7 weeks but flew through the last bit.

Anyone ever read "way of the peaceful warrior" by dan millman? xmas present last year from my sister that has remained unread. probably wont be much murder/rape/torture/80s music reviews in it

Comment

Anyone read the Dark Tower books by Stephen King? My sister said she's flying through them at the minute and loving them, might give them a spin over xmas...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        Anyone read the Dark Tower books by Stephen King? My sister said she's flying through them at the minute and loving them, might give them a spin over xmas...
        Was up to date on them years ago and really enjoyed them but would prob need to start again at this stage to know what was going on. The dark tower stuff crosses over into most of his recent books and even some of his books that predate the Dark Tower books aswell I think.

Comment

Read the first two, when they're good they're very good but 50% is very boring, overall wouldn't bother.

Comment

Really got into them a few years ago, though the first was brilliant. read the first 3 in the mid 90's. it was real torture waiting for the last few.

It does wane a bit towards the end, Stephen king is not one for a good ending. but they do tie (loosely) into his other books. The stand, IT. etc.

The first 3 books are really great. The first is not like any other stephen king ive read.

I loved the series, and im glad to see that he has published more (I googled when i saw your question) So ill be out to read them again soon enough.

Comment

Finally going to start wolf hall this evening. Kept getting side tracked and starting something else but finished up my last book (Fear index by Robert Harris - good book from one of my favorite authors but not his best work imo)

Supposed to be a decent book and flatmate has just bought the follow up. Lots of long nights in Tudor England ahead of me this Christmas.

Comment

Tearing through Robert Harris's Lustrum the second Cicero novel, so far it doesn't have the same verve as the first one but its compelling nonetheless.

When it the third one due?
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  Tearing through Robert Harris's Lustrum the second Cicero novel, so far it doesn't have the same verve as the first one but its compelling nonetheless.

Reading it at the moment as well - enjoyable stuff! My last book before this was Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic so it is great to read a quasi-fiction version of the same events.

Also reading, and almost finished, Hyperion (by Dan Simmons) on my Nexus using the Alkido app, it is also very good - a very highly-regarded sci-fi novel.

Read the first seven Dark Tower books a few years ago, agree with earlier comments, when they're good they're great, but I found it very hit-and-miss. The sixth and seventh books are a bit of a slog IMHO.

Comment

Thoughts on Rubicon Paul? Still have this on the bedside locker waiting for me to get around to it.

Comment

Just about near the end of this, haven't decided if I like it yet or not

Someone gave me The Ghost by Robert Harris to read next but just realised now I've seen the film version of it already so may give it a miss

Comment

reading 4 books at the moment.
                        one shitter, one kindle, one tablet, one office.
                        Wolves of the Calla - part of the dark twoer series by stephen king
                        Power sex suicide - an arguement that mitochondria are central to questions of the evolution of multicellularity, the evolution of sexual reproduction, and to the process of senescence. In short, multicellular life is a complete fluke
                        The wisdom of crowds - Why the Many Are Smarter Than the Few and How Collective Wisdom Shapes Business, Economies, Societies and Nations
                        Rereading Transmetropolitan - a futuristic cyberpunk collection of graphic novels detailing the saga of a gonzo journalist fighting a dystopian city.

All very highly recommended.
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I would imagine a tablet is your man for graphic novels all the way? Might look into them if I ever get one, have never read anything along those lines.

Comment

lol...yeah...that's an odd coincidence
                            I grabbed the lot for the kindle a few weeks back. Excellent series.
                            fantasy western is the closest way of describing it but I'm really digging it. on book 5 at the moment. If helps if you have read kings other works (derperation, the regulators, IT , the black house, Salems Lot, the stand, insomnia, talisman, hearts in atlantis etc)
                            basically wherever king has brought up the idea of a world behind worlds and particularly the idea of ka(faith, karma, destiny) there is soem semblance of crossover.
                            Tbh, it's not necessary to have read all these to enjoy the book, but it's a neat little easter egg for fanboys like me.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I would imagine a tablet is your man for graphic novels all the way? Might look into them if I ever get one, have never read anything along those lines.
                              yeah it's a gift for reading graphic novels.
                              I've acquired loads since getting the tablet. Some real excellent books out there.
                              Y: the last man is another fantastic read.

Comment

I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows now, it's a serious drag after A Storm of Swords. I haven't even picked it up in a couple of days. Is the 5th book any better?

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Also reading, and almost finished, Hyperion (by Dan Simmons) on my Nexus using the Alkido app, it is also very good - a very highly-regarded sci-fi novel.
                                  my favorite sci-fi series. Both books are sublime. The endymion series that follows it is also very good (obviously not quite as good as hyperion, but still excellent).

Comment

Half way through World war z by Max brooks..really enjoying it so far after struggling at first with the interview style dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                      I'm about halfway through A Feast for Crows now, it's a serious drag after A Storm of Swords. I haven't even picked it up in a couple of days. Is the 5th book any better?
                                      A bit but sadly not a lot better. The pace noticeably drops after a storm or swords. There are a couple of big bits in book 5, but it doesn't return to the pace of the previous books. George R.R. Martin referred to his problem as 'The Meereenese Knot', which may or may not make sense to you, but I won't elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                        my favorite sci-fi series. Both books are sublime. The endymion series that follows it is also very good (obviously not quite as good as hyperion, but still excellent).
                                        Looked this up to add to my list as besides Banks and Ken McLeod I rarely read SF, now I know we don't judge books by their covers but why is it that SF book covers are so awful ?

Comment

Thoughts on Rubicon Paul? Still have this on the bedside locker waiting for me to get around to it.
                                          I really enjoyed it, but I was always going to! I quite like Tom Holland's style, not too strict a chronological progression, he kinda dips in and out of different themes and narratives as he goes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaysoose View Post
                                            Half way through World war z by Max brooks..really enjoying it so far after struggling at first with the interview style dialogue.
                                            There's a brilliant audiobook version of that with guys like Alan Alda, John Turturro, Rob Reiner and Mark Hamill doing some of the characters. Very highly recommended.

Comment

why is it that SF book covers are so awful ?

They aren't, many of them are brilliant

Comment

You had me until bald crow with tits out.

Comment

Anyone here read the His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy? It's ostensibly a children's series, but meant to be good for adults as well. There was a (bad) film made of the first part recently, The Golden Compass, but it was not meant to be anything near as good as the book. I'm not sure why I'm contemplating reading it, but I saw it on a list somewhere and thought it looked somewhat interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                    Anyone here read the His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy? It's ostensibly a children's series, but meant to be good for adults as well. There was a (bad) film made of the first part recently, The Golden Compass, but it was not meant to be anything near as good as the book. I'm not sure why I'm contemplating reading it, but I saw it on a list somewhere and thought it looked somewhat interesting.
                                                    I read the first one in my early teens and thought it was only ok, but it gets huge praise from a lot of people so there's a chance I just didn't get it at the time.

AFAIK it's a thinly veiled attack on organised religion so surprised I didn't love it

Comment

Might give it a go. The other I am contemplating (varied choice) are Brave New World and World War Z. I intend to read them all, but I'll start with the Pullman one.

Comment

Read them about five years ago - enjoyed them Fine for adults, I'm as adult as they come.

Comment

I think they are just wonderful they work perfectly on every level they aim to.

Hard to say how well they will play with a wizened oul cynic such as yourself but after reading them myself I enjoyed them even more the second time reading them aloud to children.

Comment

Sometime in 2012 apparently, much like it was sometime in 2011.
                                                            Perhaps he is struggling to work out how his main characters story ends.

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                            I enjoyed AFFC a lot more the second time I read it.
                                                            I think on first read it suffers from what happened in the last 250 pages of the previous book. He really had to slow the pace down after (Book3 spoilers)
                                                            SPOILER
                                                            killing off about 6 main characters at the end of 3rd book
                                                            but on reread AFFC is not hugely different to the first couple of books.

Jeff Pearlman "Boys Will Be Boys : The Glory Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty".

A leading sports journo in America apparently, I found this book on the 38A about 8 months ago and only got around to reading it now.

So far its a gem, the story of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1990s when they were the most successful team whilst also being a shower of degenerates and felons that make the average Prem League Xmas party look like a choirboys meeting.
                                                            Well written with a ton of research behind it and lots of wonderful anecdotes about the turmoil in the background of the success story.
                                                            Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 10-12-12, 22:22.

Comment

They would be similar to Chronicles of Narnia in some ways, must say I enjoyed reading them.
                                                              Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                              https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Chronicles of Narnia are superb if you can get over the thinly veiled eulogising of Christianity. Northern Lights might be an interesting comparison from that POV alone!

Comment

Chronicles of Narnia are superb if you can get over the thinly veiled eulogising of Christianity. Northern Lights might be an interesting comparison from that POV alone!
                                                                  His Dark Materials is Narnia for Atheists. I loved them. Pure magic and with a real soul.
                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    His Dark Materials is Narnia for Atheists. I loved them. Pure magic and with a real soul.
                                                                    Time for you to start reading the Art of War or The Prince. Self help books for the vengeful to get that boss of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                      Time for you to start reading the Art of War or The Prince. Self help books for the vengeful to get that boss of yours.
                                                                      Hagakure is good if you liked Art of War.

My first attempt at editing and uploading a video of any kind JUST so I could put it on one of my playlists. A couple of excerpts from Hagakure smashed toge...
                                                                      Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Went and bought Hagakure and The Art of War immediately after watching Ghostdog

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                          Went and bought Hagakure and The Art of War immediately after watching Ghostdog
                                                                          Snap, and the soundtrack.

Comment

Having read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, I'm on a John Le Carre kick.
                                                                            Some really good reads if you like the spy genre.

I recommend The Looking Glass War and probably his most best known novel after TTSS which is The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.

Comment

#98
                                                                              ...
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

#99
                                                                                Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                Try the Sally Lockheart Quartet also by Phillip Pullman.

Hagakure is great depending on which edition/translation you get.
                                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                  Cheers for mentioning this. A weirdly brilliant read so far!
                                                                                  Another great read is "good omens" by terry pratchett and Neil gaiman.
                                                                                  Bizarrely I was arranging all the sandman graphics novels to give to a friend for Xmas not 10 mins ago
                                                                                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                    Hagakure is great depending on which edition/translation you get.
                                                                                    I went for the English translation.

Comment

Yeah, Neil Gaimen is very talented - luckily, most of his work is included in this batch of 10,000 e-books I got from a friend recently, sweet! The sick thing about that 'gift' is the friend's collection was actually just over 11 GB in size and she only had 7 GB in spare memory keys, so about 5,000 e-books were left behind

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                        I went for the English translation.
                                                                                        the edition that the picture above of is great. there are other editions which have a more spiritual aspect yada yada yada.
                                                                                        Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Bought Fatherland by Robert Harris at lunch for a fiver given the love he seems to be getting here. The chap putting it in a brown paper chipper bag tho has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat

Comment

I've only read the first of the Cicero books by Harris, but that was a good page turner for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by mocata View Post
                                                                                              Another great read is "good omens" by terry pratchett and Neil gaiman.
                                                                                              Bizarrely I was arranging all the sandman graphics novels to give to a friend for Xmas not 10 mins ago
                                                                                              Sandman

Comment

...

Comment

Just finished reading Gold Mine Effect by Rasmus Ankersen.

Rehashed crap from a few other books tbh with a few choice anecdotes chucked in for good measure.
                                                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I have a book here called 'Earth Abides' by George R Stewart.

I found it on a boat when travelling last year and read it last December, was completely hooked. Old School Virus destroys the earth kinda thing except it follows the story from the time the virus outbreak to when the protagonist dies and goes through him raising kids, grandkids, then his grandkids and their kids not knowing what life was before.

It really is a really well written book. I havent thought about it since I finished it but I just found it again there two mins ago and am gonna dive in again.
                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

I'm currently reading 'Three Little Kingdoms' by Kevin Barry. It's a collection of short stories set around various rural towns in Ireland. Very well-written and well worth reading.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by carlop View Post
                                                                                                          I'm currently reading 'Three Little Kingdoms' by Kevin Barry. It's a collection of short stories set around various rural towns in Ireland. Very well-written and well worth reading.
                                                                                                          I may be reading it, but I don't know what it's called! 'There are Little Kingdoms,' not 'three..'

Comment

Hit me with some top quality non fiction. Something different ie not about sport music or mafia which ia about all I read. Need something to fill this downtime on night's in work but can't earphones in and watch movie.

Gonna start with the nate silver one anyways
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                                                              That Neil Gaiman book is really a great read.

Got Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre yesterday. Should be excellent given how good Bad Science was.

(btw pm me if you want a loan of any of these)

Finished The Last Argument of Kings a few days ago and started Bad Science yesterday, a bit of a change of pace!

Comment

I have been meaning to get Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived.

Amarillo's prop bet stories are the stuff of legend and the way he outwitted the Wimbledon tennis champion and the world ping pong champion is hilarous.

Comment

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Got nate silver book and freakonomics. Will be back in about 9 months when I'm finished them
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X