Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
    It seems the Dutch & the Swedes have decided to take a similar approach to the UK in tackling the virus with the herd immunity approach.

As soon as you see those countries following suit, it makes you wonder if there is some validity to the approach.

The lead Swedish epidemiologist has criticised some other Scandinavian countries for closing borders. To date, there are no closures of schools or organised children's sport.
    From what I've read it seems like the UK has completely changed its approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ct-with-others
      Looks that way, I think they're quickly moving away from the approach even though they're just never going to declare it.
      It's fantastic news for us because whichever methodology you endorse, it means the island will be aligned moving forward.

I think the issue with the UK methodology is that even if you had the evidence to show that it's more effective, appearing to do less is never going to play well with the population.

Obviously, WHO have questioned the methodology anyway so it was likely doomed to failure either way but it's a hard sell anyway.
      Hopefully we'll be effectively fully aligned in the coming days.

Comment

How many weeks are UK away from Italy?

Heard 3-4 weeks which seems way off, I'd have it at about 2 weeks?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
          Set up some old fashioned home games tonight

$11 @ 8
          $22 @ 8.30
          $22 rebuy @ 9

POKERSTARS

Cash tables aswell. No idea if they will run but be good craic to get the band back together

CLUB ID : #3216682

Invitation code : 12345678
          Bit too steep for me. $22r and everything

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
          This on Stars? Flushdraw used to set up a series, loads of the formats, was always great craic. Could be good for morale. No results yet
          Posted this last night, and would happily set it up again.

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
          Yep, Home Games is still there. We should have a small 5-6 tourney league of $5 games over the course of a night.
          Could do something like:

7pm - $5 NL Holden
          7.30pm - $5 Omaha
          8pm - $5 HU
          8.15pm - $5 Omaha Hi/Lo
          8.30pm - $10 NL Holden ME

Prizepool as generated for all games above, but also points awarded based on players+finishing position.

$10 entry that goes into the overall leaderboard and paid out to top 2/3

Can work on something a little more concrete if enough people are interested. Thank this post and I'll look at something later, and we could run it on Thurs or Friday.

Comment

Looks that way, I think they're quickly moving away from the approach even though they're just never going to declare it.
            It's fantastic news for us because whichever methodology you endorse, it means the island will be aligned moving forward.

I think the issue with the UK methodology is that even if you had the evidence to show that it's more effective, appearing to do less is never going to play well with the population.

Obviously, WHO have questioned the methodology anyway so it was likely doomed to failure either way but it's a hard sell anyway.
            Hopefully we'll be effectively fully aligned in the coming days.
            Allegedly they modelled off historical viruses vs real time feedback from China and Italy

Unforgivable if true and shocked it wasn't challenged at decision making level. Brexit ethos in play?

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Designed to suit all the live players with no game to play, the value could be unreal. All local games are 20 buy in anyway, pubs and clubs

Comment

Last day of racing in UK till end of April.

Comment

It seems the Dutch & the Swedes have decided to take a similar approach to the UK in tackling the virus with the herd immunity approach.

As soon as you see those countries following suit, it makes you wonder if there is some validity to the approach.

The lead Swedish epidemiologist has criticised some other Scandinavian countries for closing borders. To date, there are no closures of schools or organised children's sport.
                    They aren't taking a similar approach to the UK, because the UK are wrong:

They forgot to carry the one, probably because their ideology really wanted it to be a certain type of way.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Fullof..It View Post
                      How many weeks are UK away from Italy?

Heard 3-4 weeks which seems way off, I'd have it at about 2 weeks?

UK have 1500 cases
                      Italy had 1200 on Feb 29, and 1700 on Mar 1st

So they’re 16-17 days behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        Yeah, I thought that guy was an absolute dick. Harris handled really well.
                        Harris, Varadkar and Coveney look incredibly focussed and professional.
                        I'm sure there will be long-term impacts from this that we can't even comprehend right now, including political, but I think we're lucky to have them there right now. Especially when you contemplate our English-speaking neighbours either side.
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

They forgot to carry the one, probably because their ideology really wanted it to be a certain type of way.
                          I don't know where exactly the differences between the methodologies of the three countries lie but on the face of it the Dutch are applying the methods that the UK originally advocated.
                          Why I dont know but they're receiving criticism for it: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...tegy-1.4204578

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ct-with-others
                            Unless it's enforced it's still not enough.

I really maintain it's because Cummings wanted to be seen as a trail blazing genius.

Comment

Set up some old fashioned home games tonight

$11 @ 8
                              $22 @ 8.30
                              $22 rebuy @ 9

POKERSTARS

Cash tables aswell. No idea if they will run but be good craic to get the band back together

CLUB ID : #3216682

Invitation code : 12345678
                              Where do you go on the pokerstars app to join? Unfamiliar with all its new bells and whistles
                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Sports, sports, sports..... kinda.

Brady leaving Patriots.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  Unless it's enforced it's still not enough.

I really maintain it's because Cummings wanted to be seen as a trail blazing genius.
                                  Definitely massive bang of attempted 5D chess move from Cummings

Comment

Macrons “no business will be allowed to fail” promise is crazy no?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      A rather awkward moment in the shop there. We were getting in the big shop right before the lock-in. €500 worth of shopping. It was only when I went to pay that I realised we have no money - cue the wife doing a mad 20 minute dash the 4km to the house and back (4km total, she's not a superhero). Red faces all round. Then we realised we couldn't possibly carry everything back to the house. So we decided to rob the shopping cart. Quite the morning.
                                      Absolutely classic Hitch. Sometimes I wonder how you survive at the best of times! Look after yourself and the family sir.
                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                        Macrons “no business will be allowed to fail” promise is crazy no?
                                        It’s probably cheaper in the medium term. It’s a political promise at the end of the day though.
                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I'm really proud of us Irish folk right now. I guess our conformance rational kicks in sooner than our neighbours but in the main we are behaving very well and keeping in good spirits. Well done Ireland. Hope it pays off.

Comment

There is nothing quite like cracking open a perfectly home cooked poached egg and watching the silky runny yolk slowly flow over the crispy bacon and toasted sourdough bread beneath it.

It's the simple things!

Comment

340000 expected to have lost their jobs by the weekend. Mainly retail.

Seasonally adjusted unemployed at the end of Feb was 120,100.

A jump of nearly 300% going to be a massive shock.

Some estimates saying things won't \can't go back to normal until after 18 months.

Could the cure be worse than the sickness?

Comment

Posted this last night, and would happily set it up again.

Could do something like:

7pm - $5 NL Holden
                                                7.30pm - $5 Omaha
                                                8pm - $5 HU
                                                8.15pm - $5 Omaha Hi/Lo
                                                8.30pm - $10 NL Holden ME

Prizepool as generated for all games above, but also points awarded based on players+finishing position.

$10 entry that goes into the overall leaderboard and paid out to top 2/3

Can work on something a little more concrete if enough people are interested. Thank this post and I'll look at something later, and we could run it on Thurs or Friday.
                                                Would rather this. A few $5/$10 games instead of a poxy $22 rebuy. Would play multiple $5 games and only one $22 game.

Comment

Where do you go on the pokerstars app to join? Unfamiliar with all its new bells and whistles
                                                  Home games are not available on the app

Comment

Fuckers. What's plan B ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                      There is nothing quite like cracking open a perfectly home cooked poached egg and watching the silky runny yolk slowly flow over the crispy bacon and toasted sourdough bread beneath it.

It's the simple things!
                                                      sometimes I think we are the same person.
                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Some estimates saying things won't \can't go back to normal until after 18 months.

My missus just laid off her entire staff here.

Lots of others bars did the same yesterday. Lots of pain to come. It has to be worth it though surely.
                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

340k? There's only about 250k in retail, total.
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Where are they on desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              340k? There's only about 250k in retail, total.
                                                              Hospitality included i would guess.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

We will save hundreds of lives at least, if not thousands or potentially tens of thousands. So no, the cure is not worse. Economies across the globe will suffer but we will endure in time. Anyone who is dead can not benefit from a booming economy. Survival first, money later.

Comment

Where are they on desktop?
                                                                  Panel down the right hand side under the "More" tab.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                    Hospitality included i would guess.
                                                                    Yes. 140K already gone in hospitality. 200K expected to go in retail.

Comment

We will save hundreds of lives at least, if not thousands or potentially tens of thousands. So no, the cure is not worse. Economies across the globe will suffer but we will endure in time. Anyone who is dead can not benefit from a booming economy. Survival first, money later.
                                                                      I wonder if it'll kick start the idea of basic universal wage into the conversation
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

HSE looking for volunteers....

Comment

Closed till further notice with pay. Love my job 👍
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Yes. 140K already gone in hospitality. 200K expected to go in retail.
                                                                            Wife works in social welfare, they are working today !
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

EURO 2020 postponed till 2021

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                They should follow The Irish Open lead and play it out on FIFA 20.

Comment

Its temp though. They'll be back in a flash. I see this as more of a war situation than the GFC.

The best thing for the country is for those workers to be paid to stay at home. Backstop businesses with credit, helicopter money to people who can't work.

The ideal situation is that several weeks of containment, testing, and tracing catch all the clusters. And we immpliement strict controls for anyone entering the country.

The workforce is ready to get back to work ASAP. Massive pent up demand. People come back with a new vigor. Innovation will be up as creative people had time to work and figure out stuff with being interrupted by meetings.

Comment

Its temp though. They'll be back in a flash. I see this as more of a war situation than the GFC.

The best thing for the country is for those workers to be paid to stay at home. Backstop businesses with credit, helicopter money to people who can't work.

The ideal situation is that several weeks of containment, testing, and tracing catch all the clusters. And we immpliement strict controls for anyone entering the country.

The workforce is ready to get back to work ASAP. Massive pent up demand. People come back with a new vigor. Innovation will be up as creative people had time to work and figure out stuff with being interrupted by meetings.
                                                                                    The govt have announced that they will reimburse any company that closes and continues to pay their staff I think they get about €300 per week per staff member which would be pretty much an entire weeks wages for most workers. This is why I cant understand why there hasnt been a total shutdown of non essential services yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                      And the Champions League postponed indefinitely

Comment

Are post offices operating at the moment does anyone know?

Comment

Stoked on your attitude to all this.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                            Pub shut until at least the 15th April, French government gonna pay 85% of my wages(if I qualify), Cans of various French food on the bedroom floor.

Now just have to wait and see if I managed to dodge the fucking thing on my last few days if work./
                                                                                            Well that was nice while it lasted, whatever the government is saying to companies scarred the accountant enough to have him advise the company to cancel all non permanent contracts and the special case Chromage isn't happening

Chance France could lock down for couple of months

Any word on Dublin airport and people getting in?

Comment

I know I am very lucky to be able too and this isn't meant to be a brag.

I love working from home. I find I ultimately am more productive, although way less efficient. My 8 hour day becomes 12 or 14, punctuated with whatever I want really. I find I do the most banal tasks while sitting on the couch.

Being able to go to the basement to sink a couple putts, or head out for a run, relax and do some reading and even take the time to make decent meals.

Work wise, I'm trying to impress upon the dev teams that I am PM'ing that being over communicative to start in this whole thing is imperative. Ask the questions, keep in touch, use video on your calls since lots of communication is not verbal, and its good to see the talking heads!

The worst thing that can happen, and something that will kill productivity and increase anxiety is not talking. Even just jumping on a 30s call to answer a question that is a little too complex for text. In real life you'd walk over to them, at this juncture my video line and all our video lines need to be open, always.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                The govt have announced that they will reimburse any company that closes and continues to pay their staff I think they get about €300 per week per staff member which would be pretty much an entire weeks wages for most workers. This is why I cant understand why there hasnt been a total shutdown of non essential services yet.
                                                                                                Can’t be that many on 300 a week
                                                                                                Mostly 2nd income people in the house might b on that but not the main earner I’d hope

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  Are post offices operating at the moment does anyone know?
                                                                                                  They are. My sister in law works in one and they're in. Busy paying out social welfare.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Interesting question though, some people now can't afford to live in their apartments and are being forced into homelessness, some have left the country, and it has just started. There is a lot of hardship on people now that isn't death. Mental health, financial and so on.

In general there are loads of other areas that we make a balance on death vs way of life. We could have also have lower speed limits and that is shown to save lives, but convenience and some sort of balance are used, so there is always a give and a take with what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                      Stoked on your attitude to all this.
                                                                                                      Unfortunately, it seems to run contrary to everyone else's view of the world economy.

etc

Comment

Unfortunately, it seems to run contrary to everyone else's view of the world economy.

etc
                                                                                                        Peter Schiff?

Comment

HJ. I need you to get optimistic. I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                            They are. My sister in law works in one and they're in. Busy paying out social welfare.
                                                                                                            .....and delivering to people who are stuck at home.

Comment

.....and delivering to people who are stuck at home.
                                                                                                              Yeah, every other business is switching to contactless, while the post office is giving cash out to pensioners and the general public.

Presume they'd like to temporarily switch to online payments but not feasible to do immediately.

Comment

This is great advice, especially in development where its easy to underplay how much we actually communicate face to face and how important the ad hoc chats we have are.

Work wise, I'm trying to impress upon the dev teams that I am PM'ing that being over communicative to start in this whole thing is imperative. Ask the questions, keep in touch, use video on your calls since lots of communication is not verbal, and its good to see the talking heads!

The worst thing that can happen, and something that will kill productivity and increase anxiety is not talking. Even just jumping on a 30s call to answer a question that is a little too complex for text. In real life you'd walk over to them, at this juncture my video line and all our video lines need to be open, always.
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

HJ. I need you to get optimistic. I need it.
                                                                                                                  I think there is no chance we avoid a recession, and nobody knows how bad it will get. A lot of businesses are going to go bust in the months to come.

I'm optimistic that we take some important lessons from the current emergency, like how ridiculously we have set our world. Imagine being fired from your job now, as hundreds of thousands of people have in Ireland. And imagine being fired in somewhere like the US, where there is no free health care and very little safety net.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    Interesting question though, some people now can't afford to live in their apartments and are being forced into homelessness, some have left the country, and it has just started. There is a lot of hardship on people now that isn't death. Mental health, financial and so on.

In general there are loads of other areas that we make a balance on death vs way of life. We could have also have lower speed limits and that is shown to save lives, but convenience and some sort of balance are used, so there is always a give and a take with what you do.
                                                                                                                    Nobody will be evicted during this period. If you can't pay your rent don't pay your rent and it will all be figured out after.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      'm sure there will be long-term impacts from this that we can't even comprehend right now...
                                                                                                                      It really is the end of the world as we know it.

Its as if we went to sleep one day in 1937 and woke up in the middle of 1941 right smack in the middle of a world war. I don't think that is an exaggeration of the scale of the effect this is going to have on lives.
                                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                        I wonder if it'll kick start the idea of basic universal wage into the conversation
                                                                                                                        It might just. HJ is right, fundamentally. This will cause hardship and it really draws into focus the way we have structured the global economy as a game of winners and losers.

Comment

Did Trump just say he's getting all Pharma production back into America. Cant rewind the feckin TV right now. Live Presser.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X