This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking tips and simple recipes

Given there's a few amateur Michelin stars and general food lovers in the community I figured there should be a place where ideas, tips and recipes are shared. Wasn't sure if there was a place on the forum for it but 'Community building' under the Community games tab seemed appropriate.

I've discovered and invented a few cool ways to make food taste better or to make cooking easier and I've decided to share them here as I'm sure there's a few tips and tricks y'all have to offer me.

Stick a title on your post if you're posting a Recipe or a Cooking Tip to make it handier for scanning the thread.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Cooking tips

Cooking Pasta: Pasta water needs to be really really salty, if you were cooking 200g of pasta (main course for two) you would need about two tbsp of salt in the boiling water. This seems like a lot, and you may worry you're adding too much salt to your diet, but don't worry the pasta only absorbs a tiny percentage of the salt but just enough to give it flavour, the majority goes down the sink. Too little salt and the pasta is far too bland and doesn't improve much with seasoning afterwards. Wait until the water is fast boiling before you add the pasta.

A little tip for cooking pasta if you're in a hurry, wait until the water is boiled before you add the salt as salty water has a higher boiling point, also, a lid on the pot makes the water boil faster. Pour the salt into a saucer beforehand as the boiling steam causes lumps to form in your drum of Saxa. Boiling the water in the kettle speeds things up somewhat too.

Baked Potatoes: Preheat the oven to Gas 5 (190c).
    Stab the potatos all around pretty deep with a fork. A little tip for extra tasty skins is to melt a largish knob of butter on the hob and toss the spudz in it so they're well coated, then stick them in the oven for an hour and a half. You should end up with a real flavoursome skin and soft fluffy potato. Cut a cross in the baked potato and squeeze the sides, stick a knob of butter on top and whisk it up with a fork, top with cracked black pepper and serve with a medium rare rib eye. This would be my last meal on death row.

Best way to cook a steak: Speaking of steak, to get the best result with a steak (other than BBQ) you've gotta go and buy a cast iron skillet (frying pan). Not only is the skillet integral to good steak cooking, it is extremely versatile and you will use it to cook so many other foods, especially roast potatoes, so if you haven't got one, go get one.

Preheat the skillet on the hob for about five minutes. It should be so hot that a splash of water immediately disappears. Your steak should be at room temperature. While you're waiting for the skillet to heat up smear the steak with olive oil on both sides and crack black pepper on it, don't season with salt as this draws out the juices.
    Drop the steak into the red hot skillet and allow to sit for about ten seconds (searing), then turn over and lower the heat to about 25%. This seals in the juices.
    Cooking times vary depending on the meat's thickness, I like my steak medium rare and a 1" sirloin would be done after about 3 mins either side, allowing a further two minutes rest before eating. A thick fillet steak would require three minutes either side then three or four minutes in a heated oven to reach med rare.
    A good rule of thumb (literally) for checking the rarity of a cooking steak is to press down on it after it's been turned. Touch the tip of your thumb and first finger making an 'O', then press your finger into the fleshy bit at the base of the O, that's how a rare steak should feel. Now make an 'O' with your thumb and middle finger, the fleshy bit is now how a med-rare steak will feel. Your thumb and pinky O is well done. Cook your steak until it feels like the 'O'.

Really crunchy roast potatoes: Cut the peeled potatoes into cubish shapes big enough to fit in your fist, about the size of a table tennis ball. Put into a large pot of cold salty water and bring to the boil. Boil for five or six minutes then drain in a colander.This is par boiling. Rougly toss them around in the colander so they roughen up and develop jagged edges. It's best to par boil a day before so the potatoes are well cooled down but it's not important. If it's a cold day I stick them out the back garden for an hour to cool down, either way, don't roast them directly after par boiling as you'll end up with an inferior roasty, let them cool at least a little.

Now, melt some goose/duck fat on the hob in your cast iron skillet, when it's spitting hot drop the potats in and using two soup spoons turn them coating all sides in the fat, then stick them in a preheated oven on max heat and set a timer for 30 mins.

After 30 mins, take out of the oven and using a potato masher press down on the roasties gently, breaking them so they spread out a little. Throw two or three garlic cloves in the pan and a splash of red or white wine vinegar (not essential) then stick them back in for 40 minutes. Amazing crunchy roasties. The trick is in the potato masher, spreading out the potatoes creates about 50% more crunchiness. Sublime.

Mashed Potatoes with a difference: This is real simple and adds immense flavour and colour to mashed spudz. After adding your butter and milk/cream and mashing your potatoes to a creamy texture add in some chopped fresh herbs. My favourite is coriander but chives or parsley work really well too. Everything works tbh. Savoury mince with coriander mash is a really delicious dinner.

Don't just follow the instructions on the jar: If you're making a pasta dish or an Indian from a jar, don't just follow the jar, add your own to it.
    Eg, most Pasta jars will tell you to add oil to the pan then fry your meat.
    Chop a clove of garlic and fine chop half an onion. Fry these in the oil first before adding the meat. If it's tomato based, add six or eight chopped cherry tomatoes to the sauce during cooking. Garnish with basil leaves and grated parmesan. This is the good stuff that the instructions usually omit.

For Indian dishes fry some chopped ginger and garlic before adding the meat to the pan. Cook those packaged naan breads in the oven, not the grill like the packet says. Gas 4 for 10/12 mins is good. Rub with half a clove of garlic straight from the oven.

Chopping an onion: The quick way to chop an onion. Slice the 'bad' end off the onion, the hairy end not the curved stalk end. Stand it on it's new flat base and slice in half cutting through the middle of the pointed stalk, this will make it easy to peel. When peeled, position so the stalk is at 12 o'clock. Starting on the right of the onion (presuming you're right handed) slice down stopping just short of the top. Slice like this all the way across the onion always slicing just short of the top. Now turn the onion so the stalk is at 9 o'clock, then slice from the right again. Depending on how close you slice you will now have lots of tiny chopped onion pieces falling away.

This probably sounds confusing but once you get the hang of it you will peel and chop an onion in 30 seconds.

Crunchy tasty chips: For really crunchy chips, peel and slice the potatoes into a mixture of chunky and skinny chips.
    Rinse in cold water then drop into a large pot of cold lightly salted water. Bring to the boil and boil for two minutes. Drain in a colander then run under cold water until they are well cooled down, you can cool them the same way as the roasties above but the quickest way is to run under the cold tap. (Don't do that with the roasties btw). Drain again then drop into the boiling deep fat for three minutes. Take out and using a fork, stab and scrape them so you expose lots of the fluffy potato, don't worry if some break this is good.

Drop them back in for three or four minutes more, shaking them now and again and you will be guaranteed amazing crunchy chips.

Top Drawer : If like me your four kitchen drawers are right beside your cooker, don't use the top one for cutlery like most people do, use it for cooking utensils, items you use regularly like knives, table spoons, chopping boards, potato peeler etc.. These things need to be in easy reach, knives and forks don't.

These are all the tips I can think of for the moment, I'll add more as I remember them.
    Last edited by Lazare; 24-03-11, 23:04.

Comment

I always put baked potatoes in the microwave for a good ten mins then coat them in olive oil loads of cracked black pepper and salt then bung them in the oven!!
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Mushroom & Chorizo Risotto

fry up 3-4 cloves of garlic and 5 shallots (or 1 onion, but shallots make it sweeter) in olive oil and a good lump of butter until the onions are transcluscent, but not brown.

Add in about 500g of arborio rice and stir for about 2 mins until all the grains are coated with oil.

Add about 150-200mls White wine (this can be left out if you don't want to open a bottle of wine for it, but it does add nice flavour if your cooking for fancy). Squeeze in about 1/4 a lemon here too.

Altogether, I use about 2 pints of chicken stock. Reduce the heat to a lower medium and add the stock 200 mls at a time, stirring well. When each 200mls is soaked up, add another. The slower you add all the stock and stir it, the creamier it will be, bit if you don't have time stirring it less often and adding more stock at a go will work too.

When the rice is almost soft enough add the mushrooms and chorizo. Add whatever mushrooms you like. The flat breakfast ones are nice. Chestnut are prob the nicest in it though. I put 4 big breakfast ones and about 10 button.
        They cook in the risotto, so keep the lid on and turn it down to low, and maybe add the end of your stock at this stage. stir the odd time.

It's done about 15 mins after. Lots of White and black pepper, maybe some salt and if you want to be extra baller, a small knob of butter can be put in here to make it creamier. I don't like cheese in it, but it's meant to be in there. As much Parmesan as you like here too and thats it! I like rocket with it, but you can put any salad you like.

A nice variation is crab meat and crab claws served on top with lemon and rocket too, or maybe some garden peas instead of the rocket.
        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
          Mushroom & Chorizo Risotto

fry up 3-4 cloves of garlic and 5 shallots (or 1 onion, but shallots make it sweeter) in olive oil and a good lump of butter until the onions are transcluscent, but not brown.

Add in about 500g of arborio rice and stir for about 2 mins until all the grains are coated with oil.

Add about 150-200mls White wine (this can be left out if you don't want to open a bottle of wine for it, but it does add nice flavour if your cooking for fancy). Squeeze in about 1/4 a lemon here too.

Altogether, I use about 2 pints of chicken stock. Reduce the heat to a lower medium and add the stock 200 mls at a time, stirring well. When each 200mls is soaked up, add another. The slower you add all the stock and stir it, the creamier it will be, bit if you don't have time stirring it less often and adding more stock at a go will work too.

When the rice is almost soft enough add the mushrooms and chorizo. Add whatever mushrooms you like. The flat breakfast ones are nice. Chestnut are prob the nicest in it though. I put 4 big breakfast ones and about 10 button.
          They cook in the risotto, so keep the lid on and turn it down to low, and maybe add the end of your stock at this stage. stir the odd time.

It's done about 15 mins after. Lots of White and black pepper, maybe some salt and if you want to be extra baller, a small knob of butter can be put in here to make it creamier. I don't like cheese in it, but it's meant to be in there. As much Parmesan as you like here too and thats it! I like rocket with it, but you can put any salad you like.

A nice variation is crab meat and crab claws served on top with lemon and rocket too, or maybe some garden peas instead of the rocket.
          ill be there in ten mins

sounds lovely
          Her sky-ness
          © 5starpool

Comment

Just on the steak, I would never lower the temp during the cooking on the skillet. I also think one of the most important parts is to make sure after the steak is cooked to your liking you need to make sure to leave it to rest for a few minutes before serving.

Youtube is a wealth of information for cooking stuff. I usually watch a few and try put together bits from the best videos to try and make the best cooking method for each dish. Here is a few of the better ones for Steak.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwxq253jpmg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtjo8DDspx0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtIiR7DBAqY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QRP_Y6lptQ[/ame]

Opr
            Last edited by Opr; 24-03-11, 23:18.

Comment

Some good stuff there Lazare, a lot a knew, but one or two new bits. Thanks
              Originally posted by Lazare View Post
              Drop the steak into the red hot skillet and allow to sit for about ten seconds (searing), then turn over and lower the heat to about 25%. This seals in the juices.
              That's actually a myth btw. It doesn't seal the juices in, dispite this appearing everywhere. Just think about it, even if you "seal it" and over cook a piece of steak (well-done makes jesus cry) it's still dry a moses' sandal.

But it does caramelise the surface, which is what you want and the real reason to do it.
              I don't think there is any reason to do the whole thing at the start, unless you are going to finish it in the oven. Flipping too often is bad if you like it mid-rare as it results in losing that cooked/rare divide.
              I always flip once, and to a new area of the pan (as it'll be slightly hotter)

edit:
              Forgot to post my tip

Read this in the paper the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it's coming from the owner and head chef behind the best restuarant in the world (now that el bulli is closed for a bit).

Originally posted by Heston Blumenthal
              Techniques like roasting a chicken at a lower temperature, allowing it to rest for an hour, then returning it briefly to the oven to brown the outside.

"You end up with a piece of meat that is completely evenly cooked, whereas conventionally you roast the shit out of a piece of meat from the outside … so you have a brown bit on the outside and this pink meat in the middle."
              Last edited by Mellor; 24-03-11, 23:22.

Comment

make sure you get a gas hob, I will never buy another electric hob and hate having to cook in someone elses place if they have an electric one.

On the cooking steak piece if not using a bbq get a cast iron hot plate i have this one and it is the dogs

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post

Cooking the perfect steak: Gordon's guide | Fridays 9pm, Channel 4 |Watch Gordon Ramsay: Cookalong Live FREE on Catch-Up http://www.channel4.com/video/brandl...

Opr
                  I was wrong with the 'O' thing, I never do it myself, this is what I meant. Although, where Ramsey says to touch different parts of your palm, touching each fingertip with the tip of your thumb then touching the fleshy bit give a better representation.
                  Last edited by Lazare; 24-03-11, 23:28.

Comment

Mexican lasagne.

Chili:

- make your chili with lean steak mince, fry off some tomato purée and add garlic, chilli, paprika and cumin. Dice an onion, add along with can of chopped tomatoes and kidney beans and a dash of red wine. Grate in some dark chocolate, cayenne pepper and reduce till quite thick.

Take some tortillas and warm in the oven and cut into rectangles. Starting with a base layer of chili followed by tortilla, then a layer of sour cream mixed with whole pepper corns and grate in some strong cheese, then tortilla, then chilli, then dour cream mix. After the final cream mix, crumbles some nachos and sprinkle some cheese on top and add some diced chilli.

Whack in the oven for 20 min, serve with a mango salsa.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

there is no mexican food without jalapeno's or peppers or some sort.

Comment

Boards also has a great little forum hidden away in a sub forum of a sub forum which has a tonne of great dishes.

A bit like a book club, but you try a new recipe every week. The suggestion for what gets baked / boiled / cooked / whatever is on rotation.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Mexican lasagne.
                          Cannot wait to try this

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                            there is no mexican food without jalapeno's or peppers or some sort.
                            add garlic, chilli, paprika and cumin.
                            and add some diced chilli.
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

im talking whole jalapeno's here, mexicans love them, you'd see the lads at lunch time eating whole ones like we do apples

Comment

The Chicken Thing

Butterfly 2 chicken breasts and stick in a healthy glob of Mozzerella.
                                Place slices of Beef Tomatoes over Chicken breasts. Wrap chicken breasts in a slice or two of bacon, put in dish, throw in a punnet or two of cherry tomatoes, pour over lots of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, season, sprinkle a few herbs, add a bit of minced garlic and roughly chopped red onion (optional of course), make sure everything's got a good coating of oil and vinegar, stick in the oven for forty-five minutes. The tomatoes will burst and make a lovely thick sauce. It'd definitely be good with garlic bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                  im talking whole jalapeno's here, mexicans love them, you'd see the lads at lunch time eating whole ones like we do apples
                                  aren't jalepenos chillis?

Flavour is where it is at

Comment

ye but the versions we get of chilli's here are completely different flavour wise.

Comment

yeah you are probably right but you can get a decent selection in SuperQuinn and some other spots

Comment

Seems to be a differing of opinion in those videos as when to season a steak, ie before or after. I think I trust the German dudes logic to leave it till after cooking but what do people think?
                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Boards also has a great little forum hidden away in a sub forum of a sub forum which has a tonne of great dishes.

A bit like a book club, but you try a new recipe every week. The suggestion for what gets baked / boiled / cooked / whatever is on rotation.

Opr
                                          Brag. That forum was my idea.

Chilli flakes, paprika, cayenne etc are chilli spices
                                          Trippie means the fleshy apart. A different flavour. I'd agree they are needed on top of the spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            edit:
                                            Forgot to post my tip

Read this in the paper the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it's coming from the owner and head chef behind the best restuarant in the world (now that el bulli is closed for a bit).
                                            Originally posted by Heston Blumenthal
                                            Techniques like roasting a chicken at a lower temperature, allowing it to rest for an hour, then returning it briefly to the oven to brown the outside.

"You end up with a piece of meat that is completely evenly cooked, whereas conventionally you roast the shit out of a piece of meat from the outside … so you have a brown bit on the outside and this pink meat in the middle."
                                            This sounds really interesting, I'll give it a try. The meat obv slowly cooks through while resting and you fire it back in to crisp up the skin. Sounds delicious.

Comment

This sounds really interesting, I'll give it a try. The meat obv slowly cooks through while resting and you fire it back in to crisp up the skin. Sounds delicious.
                                              I like a good roast chicken if stuck for time i find grilling the bejaysus outta it for 10 11 minutes at the end off cooking never fails too crispen the skin gets grease all over the oven though.

Comment

Originally posted by SICKPUPPY View Post
                                                I like a good roast chicken if stuck for time i find grilling the bejaysus outta it for 10 11 minutes at the end off cooking never fails too crispen the skin gets grease all over the oven though.
                                                Good idea Mick. How does it get grease all over the oven though? I can imagine lifting the whole tray in under the grill flame to crisp the skin, surely any juices will just stay in the pan?

Comment

Good idea Mick. How does it get grease all over the oven though? I can imagine lifting the whole tray in under the grill flame to crisp the skin, surely any juices will just stay in the pan?
                                                  slight exaggeration but youd see under the skin looks like blisters from jucies and they burst and bit of grease kinda flys everywhere
                                                  smokes like hell too as oil catches fire not like an inferno just off hitting grill damn tasty though
                                                  fukin starved now ate 3 bananas not worth a fook may have to scoot to town

Comment

Popcorn + Crisps is the nuts

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4&feature=related[/ame]
                                                      Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                                                      I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                                                      None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Tuscan Bread Salad
                                                        This was on Jamie's thirty minute meal and I must have had it about 20 times since. Really delicious and so easy once you have the ingredients.

Tear up some croutons (I use an ordinary crusty bread roll) and put in a baking tray/dish with 2 cloves of garlic, salt, fennel seeds (these are a must) and loads of olive oil. Put in the oven until croutons cooked (about 12/15 mins).

In a large bowl put in 5 tbs olive oil, 2/3 tbs red wine vinegar, clove of garlic, some capers, 1/2 chopped anchovies (optional) and some torn basil. Add in all kinds of tomatoes (the baby/cherry tomatoes cut in half are perfect). Give it a good mix to coat the tomatoes.

When the croutons are done put them, including fennel seed and garlic, into the bowl with the tomatoes. Before mixing, grate some parmesan cheese over the hot bread, sprinkle on some balsamic and add more basil.
                                                        Last edited by careca; 25-03-11, 08:58.

Comment

Last say on the chilli matter
                                                          DICED CHILLIS on top like the recipe says, red or jalepenos, your choice.

Panchetta Ciabatta

Cut a ciabatta in half, and griddle. Rub with garlic and tomato
                                                          Grill pancetta
                                                          griddle asparagus, and toss in butter.

Arrange asparagus on ciabatta, add pancetta, top with poached/soft boiled egg, and break it open so the yolk pours over.

Comment

Spaghetti Carbonara

This is a really simple and really cheap dish to make. Until I discovered how to make it I would never have considered eating it. That jar of white shite from Dolmio turned me right off it.

For two people.

2 Eggs
                                                            Fresh cream
                                                            200 - 250g Pancetta chopped, you may want to trim the fat, I don't bother.
                                                            Roughly 180g spaghetti, you don't need to be precise, Linguine works well too.
                                                            Grated parmesan
                                                            Basil
                                                            Salt and pepper
                                                            Olive oil
                                                            Extra Virgin Olive oil
                                                            Ciabatta (optional)

Have your ingredients all out and ready, drop the pasta into the boiling water and set a timer for 12 minutes.
                                                            Slice the ciabatta and start toasting both sides.
                                                            Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan (cast iron pref) at about 8 mins and at 6 mins stick in your pancetta.
                                                            As it's frying, crack the two eggs in a bowl and pour in about 1 1/2 tbsp of cream, pinch of salt and cracked pepper and whisk lightly by hand until well mixed.

When spaghetti is done (after 12mins) take from heat and drain, drizzle EV olive oil over it and toss then pour back into the (dry) pasta pot*, tilt the frying pan so the fat drains from the pancetta and spoon it into the pasta.
                                                            Pour in the egg mix, a handful of parmesan, some chopped basil and mix well.

Garnish the bowl with fresh basil and a sprinkling of parmesan.

Drizzle EV olive oil and crack black pepper onto the toasted ciabatta and serve it with.

*If you have a specialised two piece pasta pot you can't really use it beyond cooking the pasta, but the second pot needs to be hot. A little trick is to remove the pasta in the colander part and pour the boiling pasta water into a new pot till it overflows (in the sink obv), pour out and you've a hot dry pot.

Also, you can pick up Pancetta in Superquinn or Avoca and I'm sure lots of other places, you'll rarely find it in Dunnes.

If you can't find Pancetta, eat something else.

Comment

Juciest chicken ever using this method, great for snacking on at parties etc.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envkFOn2AyQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                Seems to be a differing of opinion in those videos as when to season a steak, ie before or after. I think I trust the German dudes logic to leave it till after cooking but what do people think?
                                                                I usually do it more or less like the guy in the last video. Season while the pan is heating. I don't think it matters too much if you do it beforehand as long as you do it directly before cooking.

Opr

Comment

Whiskey and Brown-Sugar Salmon

Rinse 2 salmon fillets (about 1 1/2 inches thick), pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat skillet over medium to high heat; when hot, add about 2 tbsp butter and melt without burning. Once foaming subsides, add 1/4 cup brown sugar and stir until combined. Add salmon and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and add 1/4 cup Jame and cook until desired doneness, about 3 minutes.
                                                                  Bourbon probably works better here taste wise but I tried it 1st with Jameson

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envkF...layer_embedded
                                                                    That's class

I usually do it more or less like the guy in the last video. Season while the pan is heating. I don't think it matters too much if you do it beforehand as long as you do it directly before cooking.

Opr
                                                                    Cool beans, cheers. Might give his method a go tonight.

Liking this thread Laz, great idea.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Last say on the chilli matter
                                                                      DICED CHILLIS on top like the recipe says, red or jalepenos, your choice.

Panchetta Ciabatta

Cut a ciabatta in half, and griddle. Rub with garlic and tomato
                                                                      Grill pancetta
                                                                      griddle asparagus, and toss in butter.

Arrange asparagus on ciabatta, add pancetta, top with poached/soft boiled egg, and break it open so the yolk pours over.
                                                                      I've just made this, fantastic, thanks man. Absolutely recommended.

Comment

This usually works a treat for me

Comment

Quality pete lol.
                                                                          location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Thai Yellow Curry

4 chicken breasts
                                                                            1 red pepper
                                                                            2 medium onions
                                                                            2-3 scallions
                                                                            1 can of coconut milk
                                                                            yellow curry paste
                                                                            soy sauce
                                                                            fish sauce
                                                                            oyster sauce
                                                                            ginger
                                                                            coriander
                                                                            kaffir lime leaves
                                                                            chopped fresh chillies (optional if you like it hotter)

cut chicken in to long thin strips (a scissors is very good for cutting meat into thin strips) and fry in a wok until cooked then add the coconut milk 2 teaspoons of soy sauce 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce and one teaspoon of fish sauce. i generally put in one heaped teaspoon of curry paste and an extra bit for good measure but this depends on how hot the family like it so this is up to the chef. add the ginger,coriander and lime leaves, give it a stir and leave to simmer for a few minutes cut your onions and peppers into long strips and add for the final few minutes, you don't want your vegetables to be soft they should be cooked but still firm and crunchy, chop the scallions into 1 1/2inch lengths and add for the final minute. serve with basmati rice.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                              4 chicken breasts
                                                                              1 red pepper
                                                                              2 medium onions
                                                                              2-3 scallions
                                                                              1 can of coconut milk
                                                                              yellow curry paste
                                                                              soy sauce
                                                                              fish sauce
                                                                              oyster sauce
                                                                              ginger
                                                                              coriander
                                                                              kaffir lime leaves

cut chicken in to long thin strips (a scissors is very good for cutting meat into thin strips) and fry in a wok until cooked then add the coconut milk 2 teaspoons of soy sauce 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce and one teaspoon of fish sauce. i generally put in one heaped teaspoon of curry paste and an extra bit for good measure but this depends on how hot the family like it so this is up to the chef. add the ginger,coriander and lime leaves, give it a stir and leave to simmer for a few minutes cut your onions and peppers into long strips and add for the final few minutes, you don't want your vegetables to be soft they should be cooked but still firm and crunchy, chop the scallions into 1 1/2inch lengths and add for the final minute. serve with basmati rice.

regardless of any thai curry paste you're using, if there's one (two actually) that you should always add more of fresh, and quite a lot, it's lemongrass and coriander.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Penne Amatriciana & Bruschetta

For the sauce
                                                                                3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
                                                                                1 onion, peeled and chopped
                                                                                4 slices streaky rasher, rind removed, chopped, you can use pre bought panchetta but I prefer rashers here
                                                                                1lb ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in half
                                                                                salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the bruschetta
                                                                                2 ciabatta rolls, cut in half
                                                                                1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
                                                                                extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
                                                                                punnet cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
                                                                                1 ball buffalo mozzarella
                                                                                salt, to taste
                                                                                1 small bunch fresh basil, leaves only

1. For the sauce, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, until softened.
                                                                                Frying the bacon
                                                                                2. Add the bacon to the pan and fry gently until lightly golden-brown, about ten minutes
                                                                                Adding the tomatoes to the pan
                                                                                3. Add the tomatoes to the pan and stir well.
                                                                                Seasoning with freshly ground black pepper
                                                                                4. Reduce the heat and simmer until the tomatoes begin to break down, about five minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, but take care with the salt as the bacon is salty.
                                                                                Adding the pasta to the pan
                                                                                5. For the pasta, place the salt into a saucepan of boiling water and add the penne.
                                                                                Adding the pasta to the pan
                                                                                6. Boil for 8-10 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until al dente (the pasta should give some resistance when bitten into). Drain, then add to the pan with the sauce and mix well.
                                                                                Toasting the ciabatta
                                                                                7. Meanwhile, for the bruschetta, preheat the grill to medium. Toast the ciabatta halves on both sides.
                                                                                Rubbing the bread with garlic
                                                                                8. Lightly rub the cut sides of the garlic clove over the ciabatta halves.
                                                                                Drizzling with olive oil
                                                                                9. Drizzle generously with olive oil.
                                                                                Arranging the mozzarella on the tomatoes
                                                                                10. Place the tomatoes on top of the ciabatta. Tear the mozzarella into pieces and place on top of the tomatoes.
                                                                                Tearing the basil leaves
                                                                                11. Season, to taste, with salt and drizzle over a little more olive oil. Tear the basil leaves into pieces and scatter over the top.

12.To serve, divide the pasta between two bowls and sprinkle over some parmesan. Serve with the bruschetta with mozzarella.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by Angry-Ball View Post
                                                                                  4 chicken breasts
                                                                                  1 red pepper
                                                                                  2 medium onions
                                                                                  2-3 scallions
                                                                                  1 can of coconut milk
                                                                                  yellow curry paste
                                                                                  soy sauce
                                                                                  fish sauce
                                                                                  oyster sauce
                                                                                  ginger
                                                                                  coriander
                                                                                  kaffir lime leaves

when making curry with a paste, always add the paste first. I usually cook the chicken, add paste, then add some peppers, onions, bean sprouts, etc or whatever. Then add coconut milk. Add spices while adding veg just before adding coconut cream/milk. I use several spoons of the paste, also add in some fresh chilli to give it a kick. Fish sauce is not necessary as most curry paste contains it. Soy sauce in this instance does not add much to the recipe either despite being a necessity to most stir fries.

btw the reason add the paste first is to let the chicken take in (baste in/fry in)some of the spicyness before the coconut milk kind of absorbs it. Its not a technical chef thing, just my opinion when making curries.

Also I have lots of recipes I created, but no exact measurements really, I just go by feel. Will try share them over the next while depending on laziness. I love cooking though.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Great idea for a thread lazare, will def be trying a couple of these recipies out. Cheers lads.
                                                                                    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                      when making curry with a paste, always add the paste first. I usually cook the chicken, add paste, then add some peppers, onions, bean sprouts, etc or whatever.
                                                                                      FWIW, when cooking thai, heat up the pan, put in some oil wait till it's hot then fry the paste on high heat for a couple of minutes turning it constantly BEFORE putting in the meat, this will release so much more flavor

Comment

#44
                                                                                        If you are roasting a chicken, prick a lemon all over with a fork, slice it in half, then microwave it for a minute to soften it up. If you put it inside the cavity of the bird it steams while cooking and gives the meat a lovely moist lemony taste.
                                                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Chilli Con Carne

Thought I would add my own recipe for chilli con carne to this.

It's my own recipe, and I've tried to make it as healthy as possible - beware that if you follow these instructions using all these ingredients it's going to be hot as fuck!

300g broccoli
                                                                                          2 bell peppers
                                                                                          250g mushrooms
                                                                                          400g tin kidney beans

6 fresh tomatoes
                                                                                          220g sliced jalapeno pepper
                                                                                          1 red chilli pepper
                                                                                          1 finger chilli pepper
                                                                                          1 bird's eye chilli pepper
                                                                                          5 fresh spinach leaves
                                                                                          3 tbsp hot chilli powder
                                                                                          3 tbsp cayenne chilli powder
                                                                                          1 tbsp paprika
                                                                                          1 tbsp cumin
                                                                                          1 tbsp coriander
                                                                                          1 tbsp ground pepper

500g 95% lean minced beef
                                                                                          1tbsp Olive oil

Blend the tomatoes together with 100g of the sliced jalapenos, the red chilli, finger chilli and bird's eye chilli, along with the various spices. No need to over-blend.

Chop the vegetables as necessary, I like to de-stem and peel the mushrooms, but there's no real need. You can also add any other vegetables as you like - these are just ones that I like.

Heat the olive oil in a pan (you may need to use two pans if you use the quantities in this recipe - I always do), and brown the mince in it.

When the mince is starting to get brown, you can drain away the excess oil (I read somewhere somebody recommended putting the mince in a sieve and pouring boiling water over it to cause more of the fat to detach from the lean meat - I haven't tried it, but it might work, up to yourself).

Add in the vegetables.

When everything is pretty much cooked, add the chilli sauce to the mince and veg. Allow this to simmer away for 15 minutes or so.

While this is simmering, drain the kidney beans. Add these, along with the remaining jalapenos for a couple of minutes at the end.

Will last for three or four days in the fridge and can probably be frozen.

I think I usually get about five servings out of it.

Comment

#46
                                                                                            okay so, i've got a bit of a sweet tooth (mainly for chocolate), and seeing as there's plenty of cool starters and main courses here, i'll go straight for to the desert.

This is a monster of a desert. Whoever you give this to, will either want your children on the spot, or beg for the recipe (which you obviously can't give because it's MY secret recipe, but mainly because if you give to them, they'll realise how easy it is, and not want your babies anymore).

The chocolate mi-cuit. it's basically like a chocolate fondant, but a little runnier inside.

to make 7 or 8

equipment:
                                                                                            mixer or food processor
                                                                                            7-8 ramequins

ingredients:
                                                                                            180g unsalted butter
                                                                                            5 eggs
                                                                                            190g of dark chocolate (71% or more)
                                                                                            240 caster sugar
                                                                                            40g white flour

mix in a mixer (with the whisk) the sugar and the whole eggs for 10 minutes

melt the butter and chocolate in a sauce pan on low heat, turning constantly. make sure it doesn't burn. once melted, let it cool a little.

make sure it's at less than 40 degrees celsius before adding it to the sugar-egg mix (otherwise it'll cook the eggs). also add the flour and mix/ whisk for another 10-12 minutes.

take a piece of butter, and butter the inside of the ramequins, then pour the mix into the ramequins (don't go right to the top, as it will rise a little).

put the ramequins in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (you can leave them ther overnight as well if you like, it won't make a huge difference).

heat your oven to 200 degrees, and cook them for about 10-11 minutes (this'll really be oven dependent so once you've done it once or twice you'll know your timings)

the first time you do them, you might want to do an extra one so you can "test" the cooking.

cover with a plate and turn over, tap it a little to make sure it drops. The inside should still have a bit of liquid (but you'll figure out how much or how little suits you). Serve with a healthy dollop of GOOD vanilla ice cream.

Bask in the glory of the speechless guests. nah, just joking, dig in to your own, it's fuckin delicious!!!!

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Shrap, I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds awesome, gonna try it. Next time you do it post a pic

Comment

#48
                                                                                                Sounds good Shrapnel,
                                                                                                Here's a bit of a cheat cake. Might not be as tastely as yours, but takes the gold for speed and simplicity.

Microwave Mug Cake
                                                                                                4 tablespoons flour
                                                                                                3 tablespoons sugar (i've seen it listed with 2-5 tablespoons, so go with whatever you think)
                                                                                                2 tablespoons cocoa
                                                                                                1 egg
                                                                                                3 tablespoons milk
                                                                                                3 tablespoons butter or oil
                                                                                                vanilla essence
                                                                                                2 tablespoon choc chips

It'll make one large or two small mug cakes (depending on size of mug)
                                                                                                [list][*]Mix all dry ingredients well in a mug (or mugs).[*]If butter is very hard soften in with a few seconds in the microwave. Lightly whisk the egg in a bowl.[*]Add milk, butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla to mug and mix well. Add eggs and give one last mix.[*]You can sprinkle an extra spoon of chocolate chips on top of the mix here.[*]Cooking time will vary depending on power of the microwave. One mug at a time, microwave for 90 seconds on medium power. Check the consistancy. If it needs more cooking, give it another 30 seconds and check. Repeat if required. It's ready when cooked but still moist and gooey in. Too long and it'll dry out.[*]Eat from the mug or run a knife around the edge and tip on to a plate. Serve with a generous spoonfull of ice-cream

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Shrap, I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds awesome, gonna try it. Next time you do it post a pic
                                                                                                  will do. although it might be a while, as i think i've made it for everyone i know, and only make it once or twice a year now. Let us know how you get on if you try it.

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    I downloaded a Jamie Oliver android app and will be cooking two of the recipes later, will report back on how they turn out, on the face of things the app looks very good. Well laid out, pictures and easy to follow instructions.

It's called jamie olivers twenty minute meals, but it does cost a few euro.

Also will be giving Shrapnel's delicious sounding desert a go, if I can find a food processor that is.

I'll take some pictures of how they all turn out and post them up tomorrow.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Very informative thread Laz, ill make sure to direct the wife this way !
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

#52

Had one of these for the first time when in the US about 3 weeks ago.. was very tasty i have to say!

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          Could someone recommend something with a high taste:effort ratio, I was thinking I'd try to cook dinner on Sunday for Mother's Day.

I can rustle up basic stuff, and follow an easy enough recipe, but me dad and brother are useless!

Cheers

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            how many people?

any meat preference?

roast type meal or not?

Comment

#55

Jokes is on him, Smithwicks is ale.

Made a roast chicken a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.
                                                                                                              Have roasted a few before but was never overly pleased with them.

Loosely followed a Neven McGuire recipe.

The outside was crisp and it was the meat was very moist. I think smearing it on the outside with olive oil and the lemon inside achieved this (actually, I only used half a lemon inside.

On another note, I might make some Johnny cakes soon and report back.
                                                                                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                                                                                how many people?

any meat preference?

roast type meal or not?
                                                                                                                4, 3 of which are good feeders.

No meat pref; roasts can be a bit boring sometimes imo

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  ...
                                                                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                    4, 3 of which are good feeders.

No meat pref; roasts can be a bit boring sometimes imo
                                                                                                                    Pork fillet or steak is easy to prepare, mostly sear on outside and bung in oven, serve with roasted baby potatoes (boil for a couple mins and bake in oven with salt pepper olive oil and little chilli powder) and veg of choice

What could be better than the sweetness of pork fillet on a warm evening, with a glass of decent wine?

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

I followed the recipe pretty much dead on with a few exceptions.

So here's my photo's of the experience.

All the ingredients ready and laid out. I weighed the chocolate, sugar, butter and flour as required.

Mixed the eggs and sugar together for 10 mins, varying the speed using the handheld electric whisk. I found on the highest speed (speed 3), the mixture really puffed up, presumably as it filled with air bubble, so for the most part I whisked on the middle speed.

My first deviation from the recipe was when it came to melting the butter and chocolate. Instead of using a pan and having to continually mix it, I melted it over some hot water, as I usually do when carrying out such a task. I think there's less of a chance of burning the chocolate or butter, but it does probably take a bit longer, so while doing this first step of mixing the eggs and sugar, its probably a good idea to have the water heating up.

Also the butter is going to melt slower then the chocolate, but if you cut it up into smaller parts then leaving it in one big lump I find it melts a bit quicker.

Next I let the chocolate cool for a few minutes to make sure it wasn't over 40 degrees. And I set up the electric whisk again, I poured the flour in to the egg/sugar mixture first and poured in a little bit of the chocolate and mixed for a while, then continued to add in the chocolate bit by bit. Reasoning for this being to make sure that I didn't cook the egg if the chocolate mix was still quite hot. I whisked on medium power for 12 minutes.

Once this was done I buttered up six ramekins.

I used a ladle to scoop the mixture into the ramekins.

I then left them in the fridge to cool.

Cooking
                                                                                                                      I was making these for myself, my girlfriend and her housemate so in total I put on four (in order to have a tester one). And I'm glad that I did!

I put on the oven at 200c, but I must not have preheated it enough, as when I took the first one out after ten minutes it still looked quite wobbly, so I put it back in for another few.
                                                                                                                      I took it out after about 13 minutes and gave it a go.
                                                                                                                      When it came out, it came out 99% liquid. - Obviously my timings were off.

I left the other ones in and came back and checked every few minutes.

After a total of about 18 minutes, I saw the three were rising a bit, and a crack line was beginning across the top of them. (In future I'm going to look out for this rise and crack line)
                                                                                                                      After 20 minutes I took out the first one. and after a little bit of tapping and shaking it popped out of the ramekin and looked decent.

Here it is!

Pretty nice flow of liquidy chocolate goodness and a dollop of carte d'or vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely delicious! My girlfriend and her housemate also thought it was gorgeous so plenty of brownie points for me.

Thanks for the recipe Shrapnel, It's a good-un!

edit: cheers to Emmet and Mike for helping me get the pictures working
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Rufio; 30-03-11, 11:16.

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

I followed the recipe pretty much dead on with a few exceptions.

So here's my photo's of the experience.

All the ingredients ready and laid out. I weighed the chocolate, sugar, butter and flour as required.

Mixed the eggs and sugar together for 10 mins, varying the speed using the handheld electric whisk. I found on the highest speed (speed 3), the mixture really puffed up, presumably as it filled with air bubble, so for the most part I whisked on the middle speed.

My first deviation from the recipe was when it came to melting the butter and chocolate. Instead of using a pan and having to continually mix it, I melted it over some hot water, as I usually do when carrying out such a task. I think there's less of a chance of burning the chocolate or butter, but it does probably take a bit longer, so while doing this first step of mixing the eggs and sugar, its probably a good idea to have the water heating up.

Also the butter is going to melt slower then the chocolate, but if you cut it up into smaller parts then leaving it in one big lump I find it melts a bit quicker.

Next I let the chocolate cool for a few minutes to make sure it wasn't over 40 degrees. And I set up the electric whisk again, I poured the flour in to the egg/sugar mixture first and poured in a little bit of the chocolate and mixed for a while, then continued to add in the chocolate bit by bit. Reasoning for this being to make sure that I didn't cook the egg if the chocolate mix was still quite hot. I whisked on medium power for 12 minutes.

Once this was done I buttered up six ramekins.

I used a ladle to scoop the mixture into the ramekins.

I then left them in the fridge to cool.

Cooking
                                                                                                                        I was making these for myself, my girlfriend and her housemate so in total I put on four (in order to have a tester one). And I'm glad that I did!

I put on the oven at 200c, but I must not have preheated it enough, as when I took the first one out after ten minutes it still looked quite wobbly, so I put it back in for another few.
                                                                                                                        I took it out after about 13 minutes and gave it a go.
                                                                                                                        When it came out, it came out 99% liquid. - Obviously my timings were off.

I left the other ones in and came back and checked every few minutes.

After a total of about 18 minutes, I saw the three were rising a bit, and a crack line was beginning across the top of them. (In future I'm going to look out for this rise and crack line)
                                                                                                                        After 20 minutes I took out the first one. and after a little bit of tapping and shaking it popped out of the ramekin and looked decent.

Here it is!

Pretty nice flow of liquidy chocolate goodness and a dollop of carte d'or vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely delicious! My girlfriend and her housemate also thought it was gorgeous so plenty of brownie points for me.

Thanks for the recipe Shrapnel, It's a good-un!

edit: Don't know why the pictures aren't showing up, if you right click and open them in new tab (using chrome) they work....
                                                                                                                        gutted i can't see the pics, but delighted it worked and you liked it.

re the cooking, ovens are weird like that, and can vary a lot. i bought myself a digital thermometer, and the readings can be way off between what the oven says and what the actual temperature is. it comes down to knowing if your oven overheats or underheats (which can be pretty important, mostly when baking).

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X