Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That procrastination post was good, as I sit here procrastinating about exams with a fear of failing.
    All in all Hotspur throws up some great posts tbf.

Comment

Read this in the last few days - https://www.amazon.com/Factfulness-R.../dp/1250107814

Would strongly advise it for any who were interested in the discussion about 5/6 weeks ago re HDI / Happiness / Global Progress etc.

It's a collaboration from the people behind www.gapminder.org, you'll no-doubt have seen Hans Rosling's (deceased) Ted Talk on similar values before.

http://www.ted.com With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, statistics guru Hans Rosling uses an amazing new presentation tool, Gapminder, to present d...

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
        That procrastination post was good, as I sit here procrastinating about exams with a fear of failing.
        Agreed, would be nice if he was able to post a bit more again.

Also, hello and best wishes to Zod and Icky if ye are reading.

Comment

Read this in the last few days - https://www.amazon.com/Factfulness-R.../dp/1250107814

Would strongly advise it for any who were interested in the discussion about 5/6 weeks ago re HDI / Happiness / Global Progress etc.

It's a collaboration from the people behind www.gapminder.org, you'll no-doubt have seen Hans Rosling's (deceased) Ted Talk on similar values before.

http://www.ted.com With the drama and urgency of a sportscaster, statistics guru Hans Rosling uses an amazing new presentation tool, Gapminder, to present d...

Comment

Wow, the doublepost sandwich!

Comment

President Trump balancing his range quite masterfully at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Thanks for the book recommendation. Funnily enough I had been watching a lot of Rosling's videos a while back basically in an attempt to convince myself of exactly the proposal of its sub-heading - 'Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World--and Why Things Are Better Than You Think'.

Will definitely try that soon.

Incidentally, I didn't know Hans Sr had died - I'm sorry to hear it, he was a great communicator. That Gapminder website Emmet mentions has some excellent videos.

Comment

I was only skimming the conversation at the time, and just posted the link to https://ourworldindata.org/ without any comment, but this is another excellent resource to be used when considering arguments put forward by the more vociferous activists. There is data available which can and should be used to help make cases, and you will very frequently see people making statements which are completely unsupported by that data.

There's a fantastic section in the Factfulness book discussing activism, with particular reference to Al Gore and Climate Change, and I think I agree with Rosling et al almost exactly when he discusses how it is much more important to not mislead, and not whip up sentiment in order to further your (even completely excellent and worthwhile!) goals and intentions. He utterly shares Gore's opinion on the danger of inaction, but refuses to bow to the pressure of offering biased analysis to support his argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    Bumping this in case anyone knows if a gaming capture box will do the job to capture video playing out of a sky box for me and then if they know anyone who has one they would be willing to rent out for few hours ?
                    what exactly are you trying to do?
                    There might be an easier alernative
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Trying to get a recorded programme off his Sky Box onto an open medium I guess. I imagine only way is via a hardware recorder, which just 'watches' the show playing on the sky box, and records the screen.

Option 2 here - > https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skypluscopying.html
                      Last edited by Emmet; 12-04-18, 11:40.

Comment

Yes posters and branding isn't great. Our body our choice vote yes, isn't going to win anyone on the fence. It comes across as a bit dismissive. Fuck you I want to do what I want (which tbf I agree with, but isn't really the way to win people over)

You want something persuasive and inclusive (Trump smashed Hillary on this, MAGA is inclusive and strong, I'm with her and stronger together were wishy washy and tough to get on board with).

Tough issue to come up with something good though. I think the majority of people agree that a woman should have the option in crisis pregnancy, so the focus should be on that rather than choice? Compassion in crisis is probably the better one I've seen, it's got alliteration, everyone can identify with a crisis, it's getting away from it being some sort of whimsical choice.
                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 12-04-18, 11:49.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                            what exactly are you trying to do?
                            There might be an easier alernative
                            Trying to get a recorded programme off his Sky Box onto an open medium I guess. I imagine only way is via a hardware recorder, which just 'watches' the show playing on the sky box, and records the screen.

Option 2 here - > https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/skypluscopying.html
                            Yeah, I've seen option 2 its a bit dated but the line in video capture device is available from UK at about £50 plus postage, was also looking at this on ebay

but I'm not certain it will work with the hdmi out from sky box
                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                To some extent it seems to be have been co-opted as a joint feminist+abortion campaign, when really the feminist angle is not understanding of just how conservative can be when you get outside Dublin, and not a necessary part of the campaign as the feminist vote was already won.
                                Yeah. I get that they're frustrated. But they're trying to win a political campaign, not assert themselves. You gots to win the median voter, not just express your opinion.

Comment

Just my 2c.

People want to believe in something bigger than themselves, they want to feel like they can make a difference and that their opinion matters, people will go against common knowledge or basic decency to fit into a group or feel like they matter. . The marriage referendum generated such buzz because it was sold as something "we could be the first in the world to do" it wasn't about love or anything imo, it was about a group feeling they could enact change in ireland and thats why so many people flew home for it.

Indifference doesnt do anything to inspire

Comment

Also who has watched Wild Wild Country, the whole situation seems mad.
                                    SPOILER
                                    She definitely took off with the 40 odd million

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                      thats why so many people flew home for it.
                                      Disclaimer: Not an opinion on that referendum whatsoever. But many of those people most likely voted illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                                        Also who has watched Wild Wild Country, the whole situation seems mad.
                                        SPOILER
                                        She definitely took off with the 40 odd million
                                        yep
                                        SPOILER
                                        Living in "Switzerland"

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                          Disclaimer: Not an opinion on that referendum whatsoever. But many of those people most likely voted illegally.
                                          wow, I thought you had blocked me, since there was never any replies to the reporting back to your aplha on the other forum you frequent about the topic of the day and social media engagement.

Comment

Wow, the doublepost sandwich!
                                            More of a Keane sandwich.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

And likely so were a lot of the donations given recently.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                yep
                                                SPOILER
                                                Living in "Switzerland"
                                                SPOILER
                                                Real life Shawshank

Comment

Best post i've seen on procrastination was the Ted Talks video that OPR posted a couple of years ago.
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                    More of a Keane sandwich.
                                                    Always in demand.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                      Best post i've seen on procrastination was the Ted Talks video that OPR posted a couple of years ago.
                                                      Adding further to the procrastination. I'm resigned to the fact for the next fortnight that I'm not going to become more efficient so I'm punting with sheer volume hoping some sticks but I'll check it out in the future.

I thought all the crossover of topics this semester would be a benefit but not as of yet, I'm assuming the penny drops on the day.

Comment

Yeah, been meaning to watch that alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                          Yes posters and branding isn't great. Our body our choice vote yes, isn't going to win anyone on the fence. It comes across as a bit dismissive. Fuck you I want to do what I want (which tbf I agree with, but isn't really the way to win people over)

You want something persuasive and inclusive (Trump smashed Hillary on this, MAGA is inclusive and strong, I'm with her and stronger together were wishy washy and tough to get on board with).

Tough issue to come up with something good though. I think the majority of people agree that a woman should have the option in crisis pregnancy, so the focus should be on that rather than choice? Compassion in crisis is probably the better one I've seen, it's got alliteration, everyone can identify with a crisis, it's getting away from it being some sort of whimsical choice.
                                                          I'm puzzled why the argument isn't, "This doesn't belong in the constitution and is more appropriately a matter for the Oireachtas to legislate". Surely that's, at the most basic level, the point?

Comment

Yeah, I've seen option 2 its a bit dated but the line in video capture device is available from UK at about £50 plus postage, was also looking at this on ebay

but I'm not certain it will work with the hdmi out from sky box
                                                            seems like a lot of hassle for something u can do for free
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                              To some extent it seems to be have been co-opted as a joint feminist+abortion campaign, when really the feminist angle is not understanding of just how conservative can be when you get outside Dublin, and not a necessary part of the campaign as the feminist vote was already won.
                                                              I've seen just as many (if not more) vote no posters in Dublin while on my work travels. Some places I've seen them have been quite surprising tbh. They just jack the scaremongering up a notch outside Dublin

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                seems like a lot of hassle for something u can do for free
                                                                How do I do it for free?

Comment

There's one billboard outside Limerick as you come from the Clare side that appears to show a foetus smashed up with the blood splattered across the billboard and the caption is something about abortion on demand is murder on demand, can't quite remember the words but it did make me wince a bit as I passed it. Posters like that take it too far

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                    There's one billboard outside Limerick as you come from the Clare side that appears to show a foetus smashed up with the blood splattered across the billboard and the caption is something about abortion on demand is murder on demand, can't quite remember the words but it did make me wince a bit as I passed it. Posters like that take it too far
                                                                    It's rotten, but that's the whole point of it.

Pure shock

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                      It's rotten, but that's the whole point of it.

Pure shock
                                                                      But for people like me that don't understand what I'm voting for, it'll turn me towards a yes vote, on the other hand all this shite of its my body from the yes side is tipping me to vote no.

To sum up, haven't a clue what we're supposed to vote on and both sides seem like cunce

Comment

But for people like me that don't understand what I'm voting for, it'll turn me towards a yes vote, on the other hand all this shite of its my body from the yes side is tipping me to vote no.

To sum up, haven't a clue what we're supposed to vote on and both sides seem like cunce
                                                                        I'm the same, so will prob not vote.

Not to get into it, but I can see how abortion is important to be legal, but personally I'm actually against the idea of it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                                                                          I can see how abortion is important to be legal, but personally I'm actually against the idea of it.
                                                                          That's pretty much the basis for a solid Yes vote there.
                                                                          Many of us are pro-choice whilst being uneasy about abortion, even anti-abortion - but abortion obviously won't be compulsory.
                                                                          If it's important to you not to impose your ideas on others then a Yes vote is logical as it will allow pregnant women to have a fuller set of options to choose from.

Comment

How do I do it for free?
                                                                            just dl the thing you want from another source?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                              Many of us are pro-choice whilst being uneasy about abortion, even anti-abortion - but abortion obviously won't be compulsory.
                                                                              If it's important to you not to impose your ideas on others then a Yes vote is logical as it will allow pregnant women to have a fuller set of options to choose from.
                                                                              Actually ya I get you.

Even if I an uneasy about it personally, I still do see why people need it.

Comment

LOL
                                                                                You had me all excited that I was missing some simple route to doing this.

If it was available from another source I would have got it, of course.

Comment

Adding further to the procrastination. I'm resigned to the fact for the next fortnight that I'm not going to become more efficient so I'm punting with sheer volume hoping some sticks but I'll check it out in the future.

I thought all the crossover of topics this semester would be a benefit but not as of yet, I'm assuming the penny drops on the day.
                                                                                  Volume? You sound like a amateur procrastinator mate.

Where/when is this hotspur post?

This from 2013? http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...ostcount=58358

Hugs to hotspur
                                                                                  Last edited by Frank Gibney; 12-04-18, 15:42.
                                                                                  "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                  "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                    On a certain level, the law is all about imposing your ideas or beliefs on others, i.e. do not kill, do not rob, etc.
                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

On a certain level, the law is all about imposing your ideas or beliefs on others, i.e. do not kill, do not rob, etc.
                                                                                      That's fine by me as well.
                                                                                      I'd be happier if abortion was allowed or prohibited under 'law'.
                                                                                      The unusual and relatively unique problem here is the current clause in the constitution put in via the Eighth Amendment.

Vote that out, and let each elected government legislate like it can do for just about everything else.

Comment

#

You must go to mass?

Comment

Thought the Irish Times were unusually quick to call that death in Mountjoy suicide https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ence-1.3459584
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

How can you not understand what you are voting for?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post

Comment

Kerry ABU

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                  #

You must go to mass?
                                                                                                  Because of the 10 commandments thing? Actually no I dont.

But the point I am making (badly) is that whichever way you vote, you are imposing your own beliefs on other people regardless of outcome.

I am trying to stay out of the argument of pro choice or anti pro choice as it is a difficult issue and one I am not fully comfortable debating.

Comment

Because of the 10 commandments thing? Actually no I dont.

But the point I am making (badly) is that whichever way you vote, you are imposing your own beliefs on other people regardless of outcome.

I am trying to stay out of the argument of pro choice or anti pro choice as it is a difficult issue and one I am not fully comfortable debating.
                                                                                                    No, I'm saying by your logic either we all must go to mass, or we all aren't allowed to go to mass.

Plus your second statement is incorrect, one side are trying to impose their will over everyone, one side aren't.

Lastly you are doing a very bad job of staying out.

Comment

I don't understand what the eighth amendment means. Are we voting for abortion on demand, in special circumstances like risk to life of mother or baby, rape etc. will.there be a limit like the 12 weeks that's talked about, is it good, is it bad. If you find out your baby is gonna have special needs or need special care that you can't provide will you be able to rock up and abort the pregnancy. I genuinely have no idea what to do with this referendum.

I've tried to not mention it anywhere and didn't get involved the last time it was spoken about here but have the form here to register to vote and I'm wondering why I'm bothering as I've no idea what it's about

Comment

There were posters in Rathgar today with a pic of a 6 month in the womb saying something along the lines of "Vote NO if you dont want to kill 6 month foetus'".

Was driving but a few taking pics. Is this not completely misleading?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                          There were posters in Rathgar today with a pic of a 6 month in the womb saying something along the lines of "Vote NO if you dont want to kill 6 month foetus'".

Was driving but a few taking pics. Is this not completely misleading?
                                                                                                          24 weeks is the limit in the UK. Some of those on the pro-abortion side have already said they will begin campaigning to extend the limit to 24 weeks once they get 12 weeks passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                            No, I'm saying by your logic either we all must go to mass, or we all aren't allowed to go to mass.

Plus your second statement is incorrect, one side are trying to impose their will over everyone, one side aren't.

Lastly you are doing a very bad job of staying out.
                                                                                                            You completely misinterpreted what I am getting at and lastly I think I did a good job of staying out as I am not talking about pro or anti choice at all but about law in general.

Comment

I don't understand what the eighth amendment means. Are we voting for abortion on demand, in special circumstances like risk to life of mother or baby, rape etc. will.there be a limit like the 12 weeks that's talked about, is it good, is it bad. If you find out your baby is gonna have special needs or need special care that you can't provide will you be able to rock up and abort the pregnancy. I genuinely have no idea what to do with this referendum.

I've tried to not mention it anywhere and didn't get involved the last time it was spoken about here but have the form here to register to vote and I'm wondering why I'm bothering as I've no idea what it's about
                                                                                                              Dobby, this is quite worrying tbh. As an outsider, this vote is a huge deal, and would be a massive leap forward for Ireland.

Abortion will be legal with a very stringent set of rules and guidelines, just like everywhere else, but the choice to have one is a basic right.

read up on it and vote ffs, it is very important.

Comment

The referendum is just to remove a clause in the constitution that touches on abortion and can tie doctors' hands in certain difficult cases with pregnant women who are ill. The idea that it is more sensible to put the rules around this sort of thing in laws rather than the constitution as it's easier to change when the society decides the rules aren't suitable - in either direction.

The law they have proposed to put in if we repeal the 8th would allow women to abort up to twelve weeks for any reason. Not sure what the situation is for after 12 weeks, but if abortions are going to be allowed later there will be rules around what exact circumstances. Presumably will involve risks to the pregnant woman's health, require doctor sign offs etc.

The reality of the situation is for the vast majority of people who decide that they ought to have an abortion, for whatever reason, they are having the abortion. The question we have in front of us is really down to whether we think it's a good thing to force them to go to England or Europe to do it, so we can wash our hands of it here as such. We've already agreed as a society that we are ok with people having abortions in the UK and Europe through several referendums.

So the situation we are in at the moment is that we all essentially agree that if a woman wants an abortion she can get one, we just hold our noses and tell them to piss off to Liverpool and don't be shoving it in our faces. If that wasn't the case, people would be picketing the ferries and the airports and agitating for women to be banned from travelling to have one. Nobody is doing this, which is what makes the anti-choice position so flakey and cold-hearted. 'Go on and have the abortion so, but don't expect any compassion from us', is what it amounts to so far as I've ever been able to work it out.

My personal moral position on it in case you or anyone else cares is just that I can't agree with forcing someone to be pregnant if they decide they don't want to be. Once you get to that point you're only arguing over whether you want to force someone to do a lonely journey to England as a punishment.

Comment

For what it's worth also, I can totally get with the position that abortion is morally wrong and woman should be prevented from having them in order to protect the growing human inside them. I don't agree with it at all but at least it's internally consistent.

The people who throw fire bombs at abortion clinics in the States wouldn't be sitting around holding their noses as thousands of women travel to England and elsewhere for abortions, they would be picketing the ports, openly campaigning to overturn the X Case and the POLDP bills etc.

It's just the Irish flavour of pro-life that doesn't care whether or not abortions are going on as long as they are going on somewhere else that is a position of real moral cowardice.

Comment

I don't understand what the eighth amendment means. Are we voting for abortion on demand,

Technically your voting to put this decision in the hands of the Oireachtas. They have indicated they will bring in abortion on demand up to 12 weeks. Some will argue laws should be made by Oireachtas the counter argument is that some laws/rights are so fundamental they should be protected by the Constitution.

in special circumstances like risk to life of mother or baby, rape etc. will.there be a limit like the 12 weeks that's talked about, is it good, is it bad.

There is already facility for the baby to aborted in case of risk to women under the Protection of Life in Pregnancy Act 2013 (brought in after the Savita case). The 12 weeks thing is up to you as a voter to decide if your comfortable with but it will be varied or decided upon and possibly increased or decreased by the Oireachtas.

If you find out your baby is gonna have special needs or need special care that you can't provide will you be able to rock up and abort the pregnancy.

Yes you will be able to abort for this reason or any. Stats from other countries babies shown to have downs syndrome in the womb are aborted at rates at up to 90%.

I genuinely have no idea what to do with this referendum.

My understanding on each of your questions above.

Comment

My understanding on each of your questions above.
                                                                                                                      Just one minor point of order* - I believe at the moment abortion is allowed when there is a threat to the woman's life rather than health, which is fairly important.

Several, if not all, of the most highly regarded doctors in this area in the country have said this leads to essentially a game of roulette where if a pregnant woman becomes seriously ill, they have to wait till her condition is imminently life-threatening before they can give treatment that would kill the baby. This can obviously get too far and the woman dies, it goes without saying that so too does the child.

This is directly down to the Eighth Amendment which puts the life of the fetus on an equal footing to the life of the woman.

*I'm open to correction but I think this is accurate.

Comment

Fwiw, I haven’t noticed a single ‘vote yes’ poster yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                          Dobby, this is quite worrying tbh. As an outsider, this vote is a huge deal, and would be a massive leap forward for Ireland.

Abortion will be legal with a very stringent set of rules and guidelines, just like everywhere else, but the choice to have one is a basic right.

read up on it and vote ffs, it is very important.
                                                                                                                          Trust me, I've tried reading up on it and all Google seems to throw up is extreme views from either side. And I will be voting which is why I'm filling in the registration forms this evening.

See Keanes posts, that's the reason I asked in here instead of just blindly listening to gimps on the radio or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X