Laptop purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop purchase

Ok im making a purchase and i need help. What should i be looking for its primarily for poker and college.

I want a 17 inch screen for poker thats my only request. Ive no idea what i should look for regards ram and so on.

Oh ya can the cousins pass me stuff like Microsoft access ?
    Pm for rakeback deals

laptopsdirect.ie you click your requirements and it gives you results great site
    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
      laptopsdirect.ie you click your requirements and it gives you results great site
      Thanks for that but im looking for what my requirements should be really. I was on that site yetserday actually.

I usually stick to Dell but i think i may change.
      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
        Thanks for that but im looking for what my requirements should be really. I was on that site yetserday actually.

oh sorry well forget dell. to be honest you dont need huge requirements for poker, get something with a dual core processor, 2.4ghz maybe and 4gb+ ram and itll be nice and fast for ya.
        airport, lol

Comment

Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I asked Emmet a while ago what I needed when I was getting a new one:

Dual Core 2.2 Ghz minimum
            3gb of Ram/Memory minimum
            And windows 7.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Dont know much about computers but I bought a laptop 6 months ago and was told to get an i3 proccesor. Done a bit of research at the time and seemed i3, i5 and i7 processors are the way to go.

www.Saveonlaptops.co.uk is a good site aswell
              Last edited by shano_88; 03-02-12, 18:13.

Comment

Intel Core i3 (Intel Dual Core on last legs now..)
                4GB RAM
                500GB HD

Look on saveonlaptops.co.uk Good site

Comment

How does this look ?

Or this

Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Hey..I got a new one in Harvey Norman 2 weeks ago. €449 for 2.4ghz dual core processor, 3gb ram and 400 gb hard drive. Runs like a dream. And if you want all the microsoft office stuff I can give you a copy of it college
                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

no expierience with the acer brand but looks decent
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                        Hey..I got a new one in Harvey Norman 2 weeks ago. €449 for 2.4ghz dual core processor, 3gb ram and 400 gb hard drive. Runs like a dream. And if you want all the microsoft office stuff I can give you a copy of it college
                        Is the HN one 17 inch?

Ya the office stuff would be unreal handy. Do you have access, thats kind of what we are doing now? Id hate the thought of trying to use library computers.
                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Is the HN one 17 inch?

Ya the office stuff would be unreal handy. Do you have access, thats kind of what we are doing now? Id hate the thought of trying to use library computers.
                          Its a HP and I don't actually know I'm not on it now to find out either. Its pretty big compared to others but deffo not 17inch. Friend was 10 tabling on it though and it was fine, I usually don't go past 4.

Ye it has Access alright. Library computers are absolute muck in fairness, absolutely tilting!
                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Once you know what your looking for the laptops in pc world in the jervis center are decently priced and it would be less hassle if anything goes wrong than dealing with a website supplier.

Comment

Get i5. Get at 4 or 6 gigs ram.

That's pretty much it.

Comment

i just recently bought a XPS 17 from dell, really nice machine. screen resolution is 1600x900 and dosn't fill out very well when tiling tables, in saying that i can play 4 fullsize tables but the table on top covers about 50% of the table underneath and no over lapping lengthways. someone mentioned the proper screen resolution to get before but i can't remember what it was.

]here[/URL] are some dell ones with the i3 processor starting from $599 up to $749 for the i7 processor, they have better graphics cards than them acers that you linked and all sport 4gbs of ram with 650gb hard drives. search the bargain thread in the other place for voucher codes i saved about €180 off the price of my machine using them codes.
                                Last edited by 6starpool; 26-03-14, 11:20.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

I know two people who had hp pavillions and had problems after a year or so where motherboard got destroyed and when I googled it it seemed to be a common problem with those laptops cant remember the exact problem but it was unfixable for a reasonable price. Thats not to say these newer hps arent a great laptop just letting you know.

That aside the i5 one is a slightly better processor which gives it a slight edge otherwise not much difference
                                  airport, lol

Comment

I know two people who had hp pavillions and had problems after a year or so where motherboard got destroyed and when I googled it it seemed to be a common problem with those laptops cant remember the exact problem but it was unfixable for a reasonable price. Thats not to say these newer hps arent a great laptop just letting you know.

That aside the i5 one is a slightly better processor which gives it a slight edge otherwise not much difference
                                    Thanks for the input il maybe have another quick look around.
                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Thanks for the input il maybe have another quick look around.
                                      all im saying is investigate this before purchase
                                      airport, lol

Comment

Spotted this over in the other place,... might be worth a look

Has an i7 processor, 500GB hdd and 6GB of ram, only low point I can see is it appears to only come in RED.
                                        Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 12-02-12, 20:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                          solid spec for the price there
                                          airport, lol

Comment

That would most likely have been the nvidia chips which were defective for a couple of years or so. HP took more of those chips than most other manufacturers but the same problem was in certain Dell XPS models also, along with other manufacturers. Basically the GPU would burn out from overheating and poor design. The cooling systems were just not able to handle it. Loads of information here: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/

What's your budget Enda?

Also if you are going to be investing in a decent spec machine its worth getting extended manufacturers warranty for 3 years where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                              That would most likely have been the nvidia chips which were defective for a couple of years or so. HP took more of those chips than most other manufacturers but the same problem was in certain Dell XPS models also, along with other manufacturers. Basically the GPU would burn out from overheating and poor design. The cooling systems were just not able to handle it. Loads of information here: http://www.nvidiadefect.com/

What's your budget Enda?

Also if you are going to be investing in a decent spec machine its worth getting extended manufacturers warranty for 3 years where possible.
                                              that was possibly it, i just remember reading it and thought it should be something to check out before purchase
                                              airport, lol

Comment

I was one of the poor feckers with the HP. The Nvidia graphics card was a balls and also the wireless adaptor had problems as well with the overheating caused on the motherboard.

Mine was overheating from 3 weeks out the box. It then died with no warning and I only managed to get my precious photo's off of the HD last week. I thought I had lost the proper pics of my little one when she was born for good.

Fecking HP!!

Comment

Has an i7 processor, 500GB hdd and 6GB of ram, only low point I can see is it appears to only come in RED.
                                                  That looks pretty sweet for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                    I was one of the poor feckers with the HP. The Nvidia graphics card was a balls and also the wireless adaptor had problems as well with the overheating caused on the motherboard.

Mine was overheating from 3 weeks out the box. It then died with no warning and I only managed to get my precious photo's off of the HD last week. I thought I had lost the proper pics of my little one when she was born for good.

Fecking HP!!
                                                    enough to steer clear in the future imo. i have a toshiba for almost 3 years and while i wouldnt mind a shiny new one its running very well, while its more about the spec than the brand name that put it together its nice to have a trusted brand
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

I have my Acer a year now and it has been a decent enough wee machine. It has the 15.6 screen and TBH I thought I would really notice the diff between it and my 17" but I didn't really. Prob cos it is a widescreen.

Comment

I bought this a few months back and I have to say its the best laptop I have ever had. it really is fantastic, I bought in Harvey normans, it was around 500 quid.

I love the way you can close the lid and it powers back up in 3 seconds with everything as you left it!

Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

enough to steer clear in the future imo. i have a toshiba for almost 3 years and while i wouldnt mind a shiny new one its running very well, while its more about the spec than the brand name that put it together its nice to have a trusted brand
                                                          I donated my old Toshiba to computer medical science. The only thing wrong with it was Tony spilled Tea on it and a few keys stopped working. It was 6.5 years old and a great machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                            I bought this a few months back and I have to say its the best laptop I have ever had. it really is fantastic, I bought in Harvey normans, it was around 500 quid.

I love the way you can close the lid and it powers back up in 3 seconds with everything as you left it!

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/l...NP-RV511-A01US
                                                            the way technology progresses it would be pretty poor if you most recent laptop wasnt the best laptop you ever had

looks like a nice machine though!
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Looks great but im really after a 17inch as thats what i currently have.

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

What's your budget Enda?

€550 but id strech another €50 i suppose.
                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

the way technology progresses it would be pretty poor if you most recent laptop wasnt the best laptop you ever had

looks like a nice machine though!
                                                                yeah I thought that as I was typing but you get my drift.
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Working...
                                                                X