computer tech question? - Computer security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

computer tech question? - Computer security

My hard drive failed like 2 weeks ago and I gave my comp to a tech guy to format hd/save data etc. I changed all my passwords on a separate computer

Got it back with a clean install of windows, have installed antivirus/malware/spybot etc and everything is clean

I'm fairly paranoid, and I just got an attempted password recovery on my gmail that I did not request. Doesnt look like anything has been compromised but my basic question is

could someone skilled in computers embed something in my clean windows install that would give him access to my pc/data without me being able to find it using conventional anti virus type programs?

Originally posted by Valor View Post
    My hard drive failed like 2 weeks ago and I gave my comp to a tech guy to format hd/save data etc. I changed all my passwords on a separate computer

Got it back with a clean install of windows, have installed antivirus/malware/spybot etc and everything is clean

I'm fairly paranoid, and I just got an attempted password recovery on my gmail that I did not request. Doesnt look like anything has been compromised but my basic question is

could someone skilled in computers embed something in my clean windows install that would give him access to my pc/data without me being able to find it using conventional anti virus type programs?
    i am not skilled in computers, but it sounds quite possible

Comment

Its possible but highly highly improbable. Think your just being paranoid.
      Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

How to detect a Keylogger

* Check the task list by pressing ctrl+alt+del in windows. Examine all the tasks running, if you unsure of a task look it up on a search engine.
        * Use the system configuration utility to determine which task are loaded at start-up (type "msconfig" in the run box to start).
        * Scan your hard disk for the most recent files stored. Look at the contents of any files continually updating (these might be logs).
        * Download a specific keylogger detector program, and see if it detects anything.

Comment

yes.
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What would you recommend doing to ensure that its clean?

Comment

Oh the Ironing Maybe if you explain why you like folding AA 50 bbs deep v a couple of degens
              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-05-10, 11:17.

Comment

Seriously though, if there is a possibility that the people who are installing Windows for you are dodgy then just install it yourself.

The probability of this being the point of attack is really very low and you should be able to identify any stray processes in the way that Outflank Describes.

If I was playing at high stakes online I would be ridiculously careful. The problem is that unlike someone robbing your accounts password and trying to dump cash and leaving a trail a clever attacker who targets high stakes players can bleed away a steady stream of money from you. There have been cases of players being targeted with keyloggers and screenscrapers.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                  Oh the Ironing Maybe if you explain why you like folding AA 50 bbs deep v a couple of degens
                  well if someone asked me nicely like I did I would :P

Thanks. I'm just being retardo paranoid I think. Going to post a hijackthis [or its successor] log on some tech forum and get their advice, should put my worrisome mind to rest

Comment

The best and easiest method is to reinstall windows with a clean installation. Not very difficult and/or time consuming.

If your computer had a key logger, he wouldn't need to be doing any sort of password recovery. He would have a copy of everything you type.

Was it a poker account that you got the recovery email for? If so then it could just be some dope who's trying to hack into your account just using your username.
                    He might of thought your email or something would come up or something if he did a PW recovery. It would be like me trying to login to fulltilt using the username "Durrrr" and trying to reset the PW. Wouldnt be too worried if its just that tbh.

Comment

TBH Valor, if they had installed a keylogger etc then they wouldnt have needed to try a password reset
                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Yeah I know the connection between password recovery email and keylogger trojan doesnt make any sense, just got me paranoid in general

Comment

Maybe re-install windows again yourself to put yourself at ease.

Also if you havent read it

Here's my series on Computer Security for Poker Players. I try to cover every route that could lead to hacking. I hope some people learn from this. My

Comment

and I just got an attempted password recovery on my gmail that I did not request.
                            This means nothing.

However, if you are paranoid then you should do the reinstall of windows yourself, or at least get someone you trust to do it.
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

A good keylogger can be untraceable if it's setup by a tech savvy person. It wont show in tasks or msconfig or anywhere else.
                              Looking for full or part time poker and betting writers. PM if interested.

Comment

why would one install keyloger and then try recover gmail password when he can just get it from the keylogger?

if you dont trust this guy forget hijackthis and just format and install new windows.. if you have difficulties doing it on your own PM me and I may try help
                                Buy and Sell bitcoin in Ireland with Bitireland Broker Ltd.
                                www.bitireland.ie

Comment

change of topic but does anybody know what causes this blue screen of death error

Problem signature:
                                  Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
                                  OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
                                  Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
                                  BCCode: c000021a
                                  BCP1: 8B901670
                                  BCP2: 00000000
                                  BCP3: C0000001
                                  BCP4: 00100450
                                  OS Version: 6_0_6002
                                  Service Pack: 2_0
                                  Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
                                  C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini052510-01.dmp
                                  C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-37424-0.sysdata.xml
                                  C:\Users\gavin\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE58D.tmp.vers ion.txt

Comment

Blue screens can be for loads of reasons. Normally hardware or driver related. Did you update any drivers recently? If not, download memtest86 and create a boot disk. This will test your RAM which is one of the main reasons for blue screning when there's a hardware issue.

Comment

Had a quiick look. Appears that you installed a Windows Vista Service Pack 1 driver when you're running service pack 2. Either replace the driver or do a system restore.

Comment

Working...
                                      X