IPAD or MINI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPAD or MINI?

Can anyone give me a reason why I should not buy an iPad mini over a standard iPad?
    Compare resolution, size, weight, performance, battery life and storage of iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad and iPad mini models.

What I will be using it for is the following...

Social websites
    Watching the odd film
    playing poker very occasionally.
    Reading
    Storing and listening to music.

& last is it worth it to get the cellular as I'm nearly always in a wi-fi area and the odd time I'm not and need web access I can use the "hotspot" on my iPhone?
    twitter
    moneybookers

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
    Can anyone give me a reason why I should not buy an iPad mini over a standard iPad?
    Compare resolution, size, weight, performance, battery life and storage of iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad and iPad mini models.

Social websites
    Watching the odd film
    Reading

never used either but i would say size is the only real factor. the ipad is quite big. and the 7" would just about fit in your jacket pocket. Reading books is nicer on a 7" than a 10", watching movies and web surfing is nicer on a 10" than a 7". any way you could borrow similar sized tabs to get used to which you prefer?

& last is it worth it to get the cellular as I'm nearly always in a wi-fi area and the odd time I'm not and need web access I can use the "hotspot" on my iPhone?
    Wi FI is almost everywhere now. Is there any situation you can predict that you would need internet so bad that you wouldnt just use the iphone? Id say cellular is probably not needed. (check with your network that you can use your phone as a hotspot with your free data first, not all contacts allow it)

Comment

Don't need cellular, can always tether your phone. If it was me I'd get the ipad (well I'd get a nexus 10). For one, my phone screen is nearly as big as a mini. I work on a 7 inch tablet and have one myself also (as it cost 40e) but ideally would want a 10 inch. Better for films, better for browsing and so on.

if you want to read get a kindle as well imo, so much better.

Comment

The Gf just bought a mini, handy lil yolk. She uses the hotspot on her phone and it works great, I wouldn't bother with cellular as long as your phone has a decent data plan.

Comment

Unless you are already fully bought into the Apple illusion you would be crazy to not get an android tablet.
          Do you download or do you pay top dollar for all media?

The size to choose depends on how you feel about carrying it around, how and where you are going to use it. The bigger ones you need a bag of some sort but the smaller ones will fit in a coat pocket. One thing I have found is that with the decent screen size on the smart phone I have little or no use while on the road for a 7" tablet.

Not sure what poker can be played on any tablet, I guess you have the option to install flash on android but I don't know what clients there are for iPad

I'd disagree with TarA about reading books on tablets, IMO weight and battery life aside they are superior to kindles for the job.

Cellular is almost always unnecessary as you can use your phone to create a wifi hotspot.

Sounds like you want a Nexus 10
          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Unless you are already fully bought into the Apple illusion you would be crazy to not get an android tablet.

The size to choose depends on how you feel about carrying it around, how and where you are going to use it. The bigger ones you need a bag of some sort but the smaller ones will fit in a coat pocket. One thing I have found is that with the decent screen size on the smart phone I have little or no use while on the road for a 7" tablet.

Not sure what poker can be played on any tablet, I guess you have the option to install flash on android but I don't know what clients there are for iPad

I'd disagree with TarA about reading books on tablets, IMO weight and battery life aside they are superior to kindles for the job.

Cellular is almost always unnecessary as you can use your phone to create a wifi hotspot.

Find that odd about the books! Tried a few tablets, and it's just can't handle the screen, I mean I can read fine on it, I just don't find it pleasurable like with a book. A kindle with the font and screen really feels like you are still reading a book, especially with this bad boy

kindle > book > tablet > computer for me but must try it out on a nexus 10!
            I suppose it's just preference and a tablet would indeed eliminate the need to carry around 2 devices which would be the main benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

New Sony Xperia looks class as well, are Nexus 10s still impossible to get?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                Awesome cover, where did you get it?

Pay no heed to old SP, he is a well know Troll and 98% of the site have him blocked at this stage.

Comment

I can only sing the praises of the Acer Infinity.

Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post

I'd go with this personally but if you're set on an ipad, it's really down to preference on size and what you want to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                      Awesome cover, where did you get it?

Pay no heed to old SP, he is a well know Troll and 98% of the site have him blocked at this stage.
                      Here you go, I think it's so good.

Bump up the order for free delivery.

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                      It's still not a simple process all right. If you get it from the UK use flubit, great site. Should get a good bit off. Annoying to go through the US/UK. Cheaper from us if you avoid import duty etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                        Find that odd about the books! Tried a few tablets, and it's just can't handle the screen, I mean I can read fine on it, I just don't find it pleasurable like with a book. A kindle with the font and screen really feels like you are still reading a book, especially with this bad boy

kindle > book > tablet > computer for me but must try it out on a nexus 10!
                        I suppose it's just preference and a tablet would indeed eliminate the need to carry around 2 devices which would be the main benefit.
                        Looks nice

I've read books on a two different kindles and an iPad and tried it out on an iPad mini - Of those the mini was best I did find the iPad a bit heavy.
                        Now I read all the time on the phone ( Galaxy s3) and it is perfect.
                        Always to hand - Its brilliant to always have the book(s) you are reading with you.
                        Lightweight.
                        Page and text size is optimum.
                        Backlighting is ideal for reading in bed.
                        Aldiko reader app for notes, quotes, sharing and easy to configure colour schemes, fonts etc.
                        Since I started reading on the phone I've been reading at three or four times the rate I was getting through hardcopies.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Never thought of trying out reading on the s3, I must give that a go on mine cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the replies, going to go with the mini I think.

The fact you cant play poker on most of them rules out the majority and the weight of the mini is what makes it more attractive to me I think.
                            twitter
                            moneybookers

Comment

Pm sent about the mini
                              Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                Pm sent about the mini
                                Robbed one of late? selling cheap?
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                  Robbed one of late? selling cheap?
                                  Lol on the way out of the burlo the other night when I finally went to kilkenny I saw the crazy golf promo by PP. naturally I binked the iPad mini for 5 crazy golf holes selling it off cos I've a nexus

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                    Lol on the way out of the burlo the other night when I finally went to kilkenny I saw the crazy golf promo by PP. naturally I binked the iPad mini for 5 crazy golf holes selling it off cos I've a nexus
                                    omfg you fucking luck box!!! hahahahaha excellent

did ya make money after!
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Thanks for the replies, going to go with the mini I think.

The fact you cant play poker on most of them rules out the majority and the weight of the mini is what makes it more attractive to me I think.
                                      depending on the site, you can play poker on all of them ;-)

Comment

Social websites
                                        Watching the odd film
                                        Reading

Just bought a Mini Chris. Wi-Fi only version.
                                        I use Kindle Cloud Reader and ditched my Kindle.
                                        I used a regular iPad for 2 years and to be honest it was a pain due its size. The Mini is perfect in my opinion, particularly for somebody that travels a lot (like yourself).
                                        You can tether to your iPhone for data if necessary.
                                        Its pretty much a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                          omfg you fucking luck box!!! hahahahaha excellent

did ya make money after!
                                          Well I took 400 off your table and deposited a nice proportion of that in a nightclub in kilkenny. I also got the fone call from PP to go back up and collect it and ended up dropping off the rest of my profits in a haze of Omaha and pure spew

Comment

This place is great! Mini sold off and no ridiculous phone calls off some randomers on donedeal.

If you have any problem with it just give me a ring and i'll abuse PP

Comment

Working...
                                            X