Road to my first $1000, hopefully!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
    As long as you don't go taking the shots I used to take when starting, buying into the Sunday Million on a whim & playing $11 rebuys etc/
    I have made them mistakes before not this time though! But it doesn't matter anyway because I've been staked into the 10 mil sat in which I'll get a seat and go on to win the lot which will be a nice million dollars so I'm not worried
    airport, lol

Comment

Played like 8 or 9 games tonight pretty tired, no cashes then a second place to break even for night. No point playing tired so will leave it at that for tonight.
      airport, lol

Comment

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Current Stats
        Games Played: 439
        %ITM: 22.3
        %ROI: 29.5
        Profit: $129.93
        Bankroll:$169.93

Heading on the beer now for today and saturday so no more pokers till sunday.
        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
          A win on an 18man to close the night

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 1.5 Tournament, 400/800 Blinds 50 Ante (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (SB) (t12795)
          BB (t14205)

Hero's M: 9.84

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, 10
          Hero bets t3200, BB calls t2400

Flop: (t6500) 8, 3, A (2 players)
          BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t6500) 4 (2 players)
          BB checks, Hero checks

River: (t6500) 9 (2 players)
          BB checks, Hero bets t9545 (All-In), BB calls t9545

Total pot: t25590

Results:
          Hero had A, 10 (one pair, Aces).
          BB had 6, 6 (one pair, sixes).
          Outcome: Hero won t25590

Current Stats
          Games Played: 406
          %ITM: 22.4
          %ROI: 30.7
          Profit: $119.94
          Bankroll:$160.24
          4x blinds seems way too much and him not shoving with 6s is painful, what would you do if he had shoved?

Comment

Maybe I am wrong with the 4x but I was putting pressure on him as he'd been folding to lots of raises, if he shoved id be leaning towards a fold tbh
            airport, lol

Comment

Him folding a lot is a reason to raise smaller, not bigger.

Comment

never thought of it that way, im pretty agressive heads up maybe i need to be a little less agressive
                airport, lol

Comment

keep the aggresion up just make your raises smaller

Comment

Unlocked a $10 bonus too so Br ~ $197
                    airport, lol

Comment

Taking a punt at the bigger 5.50 today, and maybe one or two other small buy in tourneys, god am i hungover tho
                      airport, lol

Comment

Ran like god so played a couple of scheduled tourneys, currently playing a $11 prizepool running over 40k and I'm doing very well with 10k chips in the v early stages. BR sits at $220
                        airport, lol

Comment

Small cash for $31 in an $8.80 tourny and some serious run good in the 45s

Current Stats
                          Games Played: 515
                          %ITM: 23.3
                          %ROI: 35
                          Profit: 205.28
                          Bankroll:$255.36
                          airport, lol

Comment

After a night of run good I'm gonna play a couple more $1.50 45s and gonna have one punt at a $3.50 45s, just for a peek of whats to come
                            airport, lol

Comment

Talk about run good took down my first $3.50 45man and with the BR sitting @ $293 I'm nearly properly rolled for them. With 4 left I picked up aces and a villain pushed, I called and he turns over QQ. Flops a set and I river a straight. Been a great night hard go to bed but I guess i have to sometime. No work tomorrow so I'll fit in a bit more grind!
                              airport, lol

Comment

Small cash for $31 in an $8.80 tourny and some serious run good in the 45s

Current Stats
                                Games Played: 515
                                %ROI: 35
                                Profit: 205.28
                                Bankroll:$255.36
                                I was playing the same tournie as last night......the 8.80 one. So was a buddy of mine and he was at your table. Blinds were 1/2k and there was a limp UTG. You made it 6k from a 22k stack man, just wondering what you had. UTG calls and he snap jams like a K high flop. You folded, was just wondering what you had.....for me every hand your playing you should probably be just shoving with that stack. Maybe if you are trying to gets some value from a monster then raise......but i certainly would never be folding. GG btw.

Comment

Originally posted by peterswellman View Post
                                  I was playing the same tournie as last night......the 8.80 one. So was a buddy of mine and he was at your table. Blinds were 1/2k and there was a limp UTG. You made it 6k from a 22k stack man, just wondering what you had. UTG calls and he snap jams like a K high flop. You folded, was just wondering what you had.....for me every hand your playing you should probably be just shoving with that stack. Maybe if you are trying to gets some value from a monster then raise......but i certainly would never be folding. GG btw.
                                  I cant remember what i had there i think it was AJ or A10 i was pretty pissed the way i played it tbh
                                  airport, lol

Comment

I cant remember what i had there i think it was AJ or A10 i was pretty pissed the way i played it tbh
                                    After the limp man you just have to be shoving or folding if you have seem him limp strong hands before this. UL though nonetheless. You know yourself just something I spotted. You're obviously doing well in 45 man's keep it up. GL.

Comment

Not gonna play till later but I think ill take a stab at $3.50s and drop back down if BR hits $250
                                      airport, lol

Comment

BR sits at $300 gonna take a shot at big 11 and satking someone else too so hoping for a cash to add to the BR. Challange is going well anyone who is interested in bankroll building should set up a similar thread its great for help and drive. Thanks to all who are following and giving advice.

Edit: Playing a $3.30 9k GTD too which i assume ill win and end this challenge no harm in a bit of confidence eh?!
                                        Last edited by eamonhonda; 19-12-11, 18:08.
                                        airport, lol

Comment

I've been checking your blog every couple of days and admiring your determination and sticking to low levels and grinding up a nice little return so far playing mostly the 45s. Your recent move and shot taking at MTTs is really going to mess with your plan. I've been through many a downswing playing MTTs and have had a few nights where i've played 15+ tournaments and not cashed.

You'll find it really hard to get the hunger back for your usual games if you get caught up in the MTT buzz. I'm not saying you're not good enough or won't do well, but the bankroll needed and swings are much bigger than that for the 45s. I also think that staking someone for an $11 game which is basically 1/27 of your roll is a pretty dreadful decision imo.

Hope you do well and reach your target and would be good if you got a decent cash in the MTTs to help you get there. gl either way!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                            I've been checking your blog every couple of days and admiring your determination and sticking to low levels and grinding up a nice little return so far playing mostly the 45s. Your recent move and shot taking at MTTs is really going to mess with your plan. I've been through many a downswing playing MTTs and have had a few nights where i've played 15+ tournaments and not cashed.

You'll find it really hard to get the hunger back for your usual games if you get caught up in the MTT buzz. I'm not saying you're not good enough or won't do well, but the bankroll needed and swings are much bigger than that for the 45s. I also think that staking someone for an $11 game which is basically 1/27 of your roll is a pretty dreadful decision imo.

Hope you do well and reach your target and would be good if you got a decent cash in the MTTs to help you get there. gl either way!
                                            Yeah I can definitely accept a lot of what your saying here is definitely right, I should prob just stick to what I'm doing. I've had quite a run good weekend and was just taking a few shots with the rewards, making sure the shot taking was only happening when the BR was going in the right direction. Its not that I'm not taking your advice but I'm gonna go ahead with the big 11 and the stake and then I'm gonna take your advice and get back to what I've been doing well and grinding out the 45s. I had no plan to start switching fully to playing MTTS but I can accept what your saying about getting caught up in the buzz. Maybe ill get one more bit of run good tonight who knows. Anyway thanks for your advice and for following people like yourself are really helping me with getting closer to my goal.
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Also @flushdraw if i did fancy they odd MTT should i keep it to the odd 1.10 game or would you still think thats bad news?
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Also @flushdraw if i did fancy they odd MTT should i keep it to the odd 1.10 game or would you still think thats bad news?
                                                LaoisHammer plays a ton of 180s alongside his MTT schedule and it doesn't do him any harm. I think that $11 are way outside of the BRM you've set yourself. You can play 10 of your 1.10 games for the same buyin. If i'm playing $11 or $16.50 STTs, i wouldn't be playing $110 or $165 MTTs. I don't think there's anything wrong with you playing a few $3.30 games so maybe instead of MTTs, try some of the $3.30 180s where there's less variance. By all means play some MTTs but just don't get caught up in feeling like you have to chase MTT loses or get disheartened because you lost $22 playing MTTs when you could have played 22 of your normal games.

You could seperate your BR and put $50 aside for MTTs for a spins while not interfering with your current plan and see how that goes. Continue to post a lot of hands here as you've been doing and we'll keep you in check

Comment

Maybe pokergods were teaching me a lesson, busted from big 11 after set over set left me with 600 chips. back to the 45s playin the 3.50s until i drop to $250 but hopefully onwards and upwards
                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Re raise or dump pre-flop? Was flatting a bad play here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP3) (t5250)
                                                    CO (t1763)
                                                    Button (t3650)
                                                    SB (t1153)
                                                    BB (t2965)
                                                    UTG (t1587)
                                                    UTG+1 (t5015)
                                                    MP1 (t775)
                                                    MP2 (t5206)

Hero's M: 17.50

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 10, 10
                                                    1 fold, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 bets t775 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t775, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls t575

Flop: (t2625) 6, 7, K (3 players, 1 all-in)
                                                    UTG+1 bets t400, Hero calls t400

Turn: (t3425) 8 (3 players, 1 all-in)
                                                    UTG+1 bets t3840 (All-In), Hero folds

River: (t3425) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3425

Results:
                                                    UTG+1 had 7, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
                                                    MP1 had A, J (high card, Ace).
                                                    Outcome: UTG+1 won t3425
                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Re raise or dump pre-flop? Was flatting a bad play here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP3) (t5250)
                                                      CO (t1763)
                                                      Button (t3650)
                                                      SB (t1153)
                                                      BB (t2965)
                                                      UTG (t1587)
                                                      UTG+1 (t5015)
                                                      MP1 (t775)
                                                      MP2 (t5206)

Hero's M: 17.50

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 10, 10
                                                      1 fold, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 bets t775 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t775, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls t575

Flop: (t2625) 6, 7, K (3 players, 1 all-in)
                                                      UTG+1 bets t400, Hero calls t400

Turn: (t3425) 8 (3 players, 1 all-in)
                                                      UTG+1 bets t3840 (All-In), Hero folds

River: (t3425) 3 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t3425

Results:
                                                      UTG+1 had 7, 7 (three of a kind, sevens).
                                                      MP1 had A, J (high card, Ace).
                                                      Outcome: UTG+1 won t3425
                                                      I'd just ship it pre, UTG limp is obv a concern but with 25BB's its a standard ship for me.

Comment

if iam playing this hand iam pushing it.

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Current Stats
                                                          Games Played: 545
                                                          %ROI: 38.3
                                                          Profit: 267.21
                                                          Bankroll:$317.10
                                                          airport, lol

Comment

BR for the end of the night = $354, not expecting to get major volume put in this week with work etc prob just a handfull of games after work
                                                            Last edited by eamonhonda; 19-12-11, 23:40.
                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Nice one. Good to see someone starting one of these logs and actually doing well with it and keeping it updated, instead of the usual gonna make 20k in a year bullshit where they start the log and never post again. Keep up the good work. Good read!

Comment

laptop is crashing which is too unreliable for playing poker, i.e. has crashed after a preflop bet and i miss out on flop action with money in pot so will get back to this when i get it sorted out
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

pains me not to get back to this but really cant play sit n gos etc for the time being with laptop unreliable. hopefully can get back to this sooner rather than later playing cash on irish eyes a bit and leaving br on stars to get back to it
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

should be picking this up tomorrow where i left off!!
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Right, so while i wasnt updating this log over the challenge has been ticking over a bit. I played some cash on irish eyes, both hold em and omaha, and some on paddypower too. Figured out the laptop was overheating and cleaned the fan a bit so it wont do that anymore yesterday and played some tournies on irish eyes and ran deep in 2 tournies on paddy power. I shipped the funds with p2p transfers all over to stars and set $50 aside from the money i won to play a few mtts tonight. had 2 cashes!#rungood. Then played my first 45 man in a few weeks and came second #really run good. so at the end of it all......

Anyway so now plan is to stick strictly to the $3.50 45mans until about $700 and might try the odd MTT for $3.30 or less. Glad to be back with a reliable laptop! wish me luck
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Little bit more run good to end my night, after the above post i played 3 45mans and 2 18s and cashed in all but 1 45 man. Almost scared of the inevitable downswing to come....maybe not BR=$618
                                                                        night all
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Nothing too much to report but the BR sitting at 640 so its still going in the right direction
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Most succesful log I have ever seen on here. Congrats.

Savage improvement.

Comment

Fair play e honda, over half way towards the 1k already . Would like to see how you get on after you reach it. Ive never practised good bankroll management and it's vital when trying to build a roll. Keep going the way you are, whats to stop you hitting 10k in 6 months. Gl with it.

Comment

Cheers for the nice words, log is a great idea for building a roll and happy to see a few following me
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

The inevitable downswing happened, had like a 18 game downswing, and not like busting in 12th 13th place i mean 44th place or in 30s, but anyway these things happen and i came back to score 2 second places and a 1st place which made up for the losses plus a lot more.

Current Stats
                                                                                  Games Played: 604
                                                                                  %ITM: 23.8
                                                                                  %ROI: 47.9
                                                                                  Profit: 438.34(from 45man SNGs)
                                                                                  Bankroll:438.34 + 40 start roll + 200 (brought in from cash and tournies on irisheyes and ipoker) + 10 (bonus) = $688

Will be moving onto the $7 soon, I'm expecting quite a jump in standard here so we'll see how that goes.
                                                                                  Last edited by eamonhonda; 12-01-12, 22:47.
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by alocon View Post
                                                                                    Fair play e honda, over half way towards the 1k already . Would like to see how you get on after you reach it. Ive never practised good bankroll management and it's vital when trying to build a roll. Keep going the way you are, whats to stop you hitting 10k in 6 months. Gl with it.
                                                                                    After I reach it i reckon ill buy in the whole 1k into one PLO table until i make about 15k, cash out, win the WSOP ME and then just take things as they come

Oh and anyone with recommended reading for me would be appreciated thanks
                                                                                    Last edited by eamonhonda; 12-01-12, 22:53.
                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

No win in the IBP home game but couple of cashes at end of night and ive broken 700. 2 days of good grinding. Off work till monday so plenty more. no daytime grinding tomorrow but will get some done in evening.

Current Stats
                                                                                      Games Played: 610
                                                                                      %ITM: 23.8
                                                                                      %ROI: 49.0
                                                                                      Profit: 467.06(from 45man SNGs)
                                                                                      Bankroll:467.06 + 40 start roll + 200 (brought in from cash and tournies on irisheyes and ipoker) + 10 (bonus) = $717
                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Well done lad, looooong may it continue....

Comment

Only just catching up on this after a bit, superb play............
                                                                                          sigpic

Comment

Taking my shot at the $7 45s, definitely a nice jump in standard, ie folding to a 4 bet haha. Noticeably people playing more sensible and as the blinds catch up there tends to be a lot more players left, which in turn means everyone has shorter stacks. Stealing and thin value to build the stack becoming a lot more important than in smaller stakes where i could open push early with AA or KK and get paid off with two broadways on a regular basis. Ive been up and down and currently hover around 740 dollars which I'm very happy with as i take the time to figure these games out and get used to the changes.
                                                                                            Last edited by eamonhonda; 13-01-12, 19:45.
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Current Stats
                                                                                              Games Played: 629
                                                                                              %ITM: 24.0
                                                                                              %ROI: 50.0
                                                                                              Profit: 541.87(from 45man SNGs)
                                                                                              Bankroll:541.87 + 40 start roll + 200 (brought in from cash and tournies on irisheyes and ipoker) + 10 (bonus) = $792

Done for night was downswinging for a bit but a couple of cashes pulled it up to a profitable session again. Not feeling as confident as i was in the lower stakes, but that was to be expected, solid poker still seems to work for these games but as i said earlier extra focus needed in stack building and getting value from big hands as players arent paying me off as easy with a big hand. Anyway onwards and upwards, beer for night no more pokers
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Few more games today had a cash earlier that pushed me up to my peak of $820, still waiting to ship my first $7 game 3rd is my highest cash yet. BR =$775
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

1/5 in one game here, fingers crossed for the first ship

edit: another third i'm cursed!! br =$817
                                                                                                  Last edited by eamonhonda; 14-01-12, 17:22.
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Shipped one at last BR=$882
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 7 Tournament, 100/200 Blinds 25 Ante (7 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Button (t3325)
                                                                                                      SB (t2405)
                                                                                                      Hero (BB) (t10070)
                                                                                                      UTG (t9289)
                                                                                                      MP1 (t5634)
                                                                                                      MP2 (t4062)
                                                                                                      CO (t2606)

Hero's M: 21.20

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q, A
                                                                                                      UTG bets t400, 2 folds, CO calls t400, 1 fold, SB calls t300, Hero calls t200

Flop: (t1775) 2, 3, 5 (4 players)
                                                                                                      SB bets t200, Hero calls t200, UTG calls t200, CO raises to t700, SB raises to t1980 (All-In), [color=#666666][i]Hero ????

Obv should have raised pre dunno why i didnt but as its played

edit: looking at this again i think folding with those pot odds has to be the right move
                                                                                                      Last edited by eamonhonda; 15-01-12, 03:40.
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

What an end to my nights grinding, loaded up my last games for night and picked up two cashes along with an unlocked bonus which completes the challenge. Thanks to everyone who followed this thread and a bigger thanks to all who contributed and helped along the way. The thread kept the motivation for this and helped a lot. Anyone interested in building a roll i suggest set up a thread and stick to it. One of the biggest things i learned from this is bankroll management. Its just as important as knowing how to play the game. I was nearly straying off my BRM at a stage taking a couple of MTT shots which i wasnt rolled for but flushdraw told me in the nicest possible way to cop on and keep doing what i was doing right. For anyone interested in bankroll building I would also definitely recommend the 45 man sngs which are very beatable at lower levels. When I look at my stats and graph i keep thinking I was very lucky to do this this fast etc with a high roi in my opinion and thinking maybe i just ran like god but with nearly 700 games played i must have been doing something right.

Current Stats
                                                                                                        Games Played: 677
                                                                                                        %ITM: 24.4
                                                                                                        %ROI: 52.6
                                                                                                        Profit: $757(from 45man SNGs)
                                                                                                        Bankroll:757 + 40 start roll + 200 (brought in from cash and tournies on irisheyes and ipoker) + 20(bonus) = $1017
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Congrats on reaching your goal man, and it's a nice steady graph to look at it. If you stayed with the $7 45mans, there's no reason why you couldn't keep climbing a steady graph to make yourself a nice few quid. But you'll also go broke if you keep doing what you're doing over the last few days which helped you reach the $1019 balance shown at the top. $100 and $200 Super Turbo HU are massive swingy. You won the 2 x $200 you played, but if you lost them and started chasing, you'd be in big trouble. Would be a shame for you to blow the loots and after putting in the work and seemingly dedicating yourself improving your roll using bankroll management (which is more than i've ever done btw)

Comment

Congrats on reaching the goal, thread is a very good read. Make up a new thread now for my first 10,000

Wp sir.

Comment

WP

no need to stop here, keep going to 10k imo

"Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?"

Comment

Congrats! Didn't think it would be this quick after you were up to $590. Keep the log going until 10k I reckon.

Comment

Congrats Eamon.

Im just wondering, would you be up for doing an interview for Starbets.ie?

Its for a segment basically dealing with BRM and setting goals.

Its great to see people in poker set goals and achieve them.

Comment

savage dude!!!

well played

Comment

Wel done sir. Keep it going.
                                                                                                                      If you're not in, you can't win

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                      X