Irish Poker Boards
GG Poker May 17
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 19-06-17, 20:44   #161
BennyHiFi

I flirted with fartlek for a few runs a couple of years ago but felt i was at more risk of injuring myself than getting faster.

Also the fact i tried it at 10k rather than shorter distances probably wasn't optimal.

Must try again on a few 5ks to see if that's more palatable.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 21-06-17, 14:18   #162
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Well, I don't train for running really; I work in a bit of running around my gym sessions and occasionally go for identical 4.5k runs near my home (I have a nice course that doesn't cross too many roads and can be done in under 20 mins, which is as much as I like to run to be honest, I do find running fairly boring unfortunately!). A more serious runner I met socially gave me a few tips 1) ditch the identical runs during the week and replace with a combination of longer runs (8k+) and speed sessions. For the latter, run 1k at top pace (faster than your 5k average), walk for 90 secs, run at 1k at top pace, repeat... aim to do 5k in total this way. She was adamant that if I've having trouble pushing on (stuck at 20.13 5k PB since the start of this year) I simply must do speed work to be able to improve.
Ah right, it seems I ended up doing what she advised on my own. Minus the 8ks, ugh the thoughts of not stopping 5k
I run 5ks for a few weeks they switch to speed work. 1ks, 800m, even as short as 400m for one week. Just trying to get used to running at speeds of 16-20km/h so that 15km/h feel comfortable.
Did 3.6km at 20min pace yesterday.

35 Betfair bonus
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 22-06-17, 21:38   #163
BennyHiFi

Poker writer Nolan Dalla ran in Las Vegas yesterday at 4pm when the temperature hit an all-time record of 117 degrees.
Thanks From:
Old 24-06-17, 13:48   #164
Lazare
GFML

Dunshaughlin 10k tonight, really looking forward to it. Gonna try beat night run time of 49:38.
Old 24-06-17, 20:16   #165
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Transylvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame Yeah.
After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-17, 20:28   #166
ionapaul

Can't wait to hear how Conor got on!

Did my usual parkrun this morning, disgracefully slow time Feels like it will be many weeks till I am back at a decent pace.
ionapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 24-06-17, 21:43   #167
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
After 15 months of heel, knee and ankle injuries that limited me to a couple of 2K runs a week, finally felt ok enough today to attack a 6K route around D15. Really just concentrated on getting it done without injury rather than any pretence at speed, so a fairly lumbering 38m40s. Pretty delighted though.
Nice one AJ, great feeling to come out of an injury. Was reassured on here that in my own case I would be back where I left off after about ten runs and it's true. Feels like you've a huge hill to climb to get your fitness back but it comes back in no time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionapaul View Post
Can't wait to hear how Conor got on!

Did my usual parkrun this morning, disgracefully slow time Feels like it will be many weeks till I am back at a decent pace.
Cheers Paul, really happy. Came home in 47:57. Pretty tough course, particularly the last 4k, with a really hard uphill drag on tired legs, seemed to go on forever. Was waiting on the fast downhill but it never came. Makes the pb all the sweeter tbh given the VM night run was pretty much a flat fast course. Managed a 2:56 min/km kick for the last 100m or so which gave me good hope that I can keep trimming that time.

Great race, great support the whole way, seemed the whole town was out. Some spread afterwards. Would definitely recommend it.
Old 28-06-17, 02:33   #168
Mellor

Did 4km in 15:58 yesterday. On a treadmill.
Kept it at 15.1 for the majority, ramped up to 22km/h for the last 200m or so. Also just noticed that the first page of my log had me doing.
Sub 20min 5k is next.
3 Thanks From:
Old 01-07-17, 18:46   #169
BennyHiFi

Ran the Clontarf Half Marathon today finishing in 2:10:07.

It was probably the most comfortable half i've done in quite a while (probably helped by a full packet of Lucozade sweets in the second half and a a strong breeze keeping me dry).

I did no long runs or additional training other than my usual weekly runs so wasn't too heavily invested but i'm petty disappointed i didn't pay more attention to my pace on the way around as i definitely feel I could have shaved another couple of minutes off. Relly should have stayed closer to the 2hr pacer for the first 11K.

Apparently the headwind on Bull Island was 21kph on the way back so that might have added a little to the time but i didn't really feel like it slowed me down (probably due to massive Lucozade rush).

Anyway a decent day at the office i suppose. Beautiful route as always, well organised and almost perfect running conditions on the way out at least.

Saw a couple of bad casualties and at least one runner hospitalised after he collapsed around the 18k mark.

Will probably do it again in November if the weather is kind.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 01-07-17 at 18:48.
3 Thanks From:
Old 01-07-17, 20:28   #170
FeetMagic

Did the half marathon in Vancouver last weekend in 24 degrees, took it relatively easy and actually enjoyed it a lot which was a stark contrast to previous 2 marathons. Also saw one unfortunate guy being put in an ambulance about 400m from the finish.
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Old 08-07-17, 19:07   #171
Lazare
GFML

Crosspost from the boards marathon novices thread to give you an update on how the training is going, feel great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare
Week 2 report.

Went to the gym session again on Monday morning, worked on back, biceps and legs, all medium intensity stuff, I was happy to start doing some work to strengthen the glutes.

I don't know whether it was the leg work or the roughish sleep I had Mon night (have a 2 year old that loves nothing more than getting out of her bed at 4am to poke me in the eye) but I was about 20 seconds slower than last week with the same effort on the 3 mile easy. It would have bothered me had it not of been for AMK's great post about the ebbs and flows of your energy levels, and that it doesn't matter if you're slow one week and quicker the next, all that matters is the effort.

Wednesday's pace run was similar, was 8 seconds off target pace. A very enjoyable session and again no worries about not hitting the target.

Thursday called for a 3m recovery run but I ran it easy.

The standout run of the week and by far the most enjoyable was today's 10 mile LSR. What a buzz afterwards, still swimming in the endorphins.

I set out to try time it that I finished it at Griffeen parkrun. Planning a 6:15 pace (km (obv)) I arrived at Griffeen at 8:15 am, did some dynamic stretching and set off in the direction of Lucan village with the intention of running 5.5k then turning back. Headed out past the weir, up the hill at Laraghon which was a test, out the Clonee back road to the canal, then 1.5k up and back on trail before turning around and heading back.

Timed it almost perfectly, arrived back at Griffeen at 9:26, ran up and down the warm up area then joined the back of the pack. I fell in with a girl I know and ran along at her pace chatting, copped the watch then and I was running at almost MP. Ran at that pace until the last 800m or so then made a bolt and ran at 5k pace.

Felt absolutely awesome afterwards. Last week I began to fatigue at the 7k mark, didn't feel like it at any stage today, felt so strong throughout. Maybe the four days in a row last week was to blame for that.

Top o the world ma.

Hope you all enjoyed your week too.
Old 08-07-17, 23:46   #172
FeetMagic

100% agree with that sentiment. Focus on getting out and building up the km rather than being overly concerned with fluctuating times. When is the marathon?
FeetMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-07-17, 00:02   #173
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetMagic View Post
100% agree with that sentiment. Focus on getting out and building up the km rather than being overly concerned with fluctuating times. When is the marathon?
Yeah, that post was such an eye opener, some great advice on that thread.

It's Dublin, the end of October.
Old 09-07-17, 14:31   #174
Mellor

Had planned a run on Friday but work was hectic. Was gonna write it off for the week but GF was going to the gym this morning (Sunday) so I said I'd hit the treadmill for a 5km.
Found something on TV to distract me and just plowed along. Every few mins I counted steps to check cadence. Maintaining a pretty steady 180spm.
Kept an eye on my time and with a 500m left I was on target. So didn't bother sprinting at the end. Didn't have much in reserve anyway.
Crossed the 5km mark at 19:58. Sub 20min 5k in the bag.

Considering an official 5km race or even parkrun. But happy with the above for now
2 Thanks From:
Old 15-07-17, 10:45   #175
Lazare
GFML

Ran a long slow half marathon this morning. Set out from Garda HQ, out the park, down south quays, in and out of Trinity then up Grafton St into St Green. Headed out Leeson St then to the canal on to Ringsend across the East link. Headed up the north quays back to the park.

Man, the last couple of k were pain. All I could think was how the fook am I gonna do double this?

Ran on an empty stomach though, so expected the last stretch to be tough but still.

Feel deadly now though.
Old 15-07-17, 22:09   #176
BennyHiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Ran a long slow half marathon this morning. Set out from Garda HQ, out the park, down south quays, in and out of Trinity then up Grafton St into St Green. Headed out Leeson St then to the canal on to Ringsend across the East link. Headed up the north quays back to the park.

Man, the last couple of k were pain. All I could think was how the fook am I gonna do double this?

Ran on an empty stomach though, so expected the last stretch to be tough but still.

Feel deadly now though.
Nice route. Did you go out early avoid the crowds?

I did a half on an empty stomach once and while it felt OK at the time i realised afterwards i probably got lucky not to have some kind of setback/injury. Never did it again. Be safe out there!

Presuming you haven't needed to give too much thought to it you'll have to start re-fuelling - gels, jellies, glucose, water and develop a plan for the big race. Overall diet will become much more important in the coming weeks if you want to optimise your time.

Got a plan?

Congrats on today. Big milestone. Don't stress too much now about 26. Think of 15 and 18 as the next milestones. And good luck.

In other news i just discovered the Modello Half Marathon on Sept. 3. Gonna try and do it but afraid it might sell out before i get the chance to confirm. We'll see.
Thanks From:
Old 15-07-17, 22:41   #177
Lazare
GFML

Cheers Benny.

I set off at 8am, was perfect, crowd wise and temperature wise. Was in town again later on in the afternoon and it was really warm and full of people. You can't beat early morning weekend running in the city centre. In the summertime. Runners high.

I actually set out to purposely run it on empty, but you're right, I know I need to be careful. I actually brought cash with me just in case it wasn't working out and I needed to stop. I'm also being really mindful of combining it with really good nutrition and recovery. The idea is to get efficient at burning fat.

I'm signed up to the boards DCM novices thread, there's two programs that people are following, the Hal Higdon novices plan and a slightly tougher one that a boardsie came up with. I'm following the boards plan. Each week consists of an easy run on Tue, a session on Wed, an easy run on Thursday then a long run on Sat. I'm also doing one on one gym sessions on a Monday morning. It includes the race series which is great. Fingal 10k next weekend.

Confirm now bro, before it sells and bag a pb while you're at it.
Old 15-07-17, 22:48   #178
colm_leche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post

With a marathon training cycle, one of your primary goals is to train your body to process glycogen more efficiently, and train your energy processing systems. Running some of your long slow runs on empty is fine, 3-4 months from marathon, if you do it intentionally.

For some of the harder efforts, you should still carb load.

Last edited by colm_leche; 16-07-17 at 10:10.
colm_leche is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 23-07-17, 17:09   #179
Lazare
GFML

Ran the Fingal 10k this morning.

Great race, super atmosphere and the weather couldn't have been more suitable to slogging around 10 kilometers.

Have a plan/strategy to run a negative split on the big day itself and decided to practice it today.

Picked a goal time of 47:30 (pb is 47:55) and figured out the pace for it (4:45). Plan was to run the first 5k at 4:55, picking it up to 4:40 ish from 5-8k then going at the fastest clip I can handle for the last 2k.

Went really well, ran the first 5k in 24:17 and the second 5 in 23:38 for a time of 47:56. Didn't hit the goal time but that doesn't really matter, the strategy working out and getting that negative split was such a confidence boost. My last km was the fastest.

Hitting the exact same time as Dunshaughlin actually was a huge eye opener.
The two races were so similar in terms of profile, fast section at start, big drag near the end but the difference between the two in terms of how I felt is immense.

In DS I bolted out the gate, ran the first k at 42:30 pace and was bolloxed by 6.5k. Struggled home with people passing me left right and centre, I managed a kick at the end but it was a huge slog up to that.

Today I ran the first 5k as planned, at over 49 min pace and then felt really strong for the second 5, passing loads of people out and finishing strong.

I'll never run a race the old way again. Such a buzz.

Last edited by Lazare; 23-07-17 at 17:14.
Lazare is offline   Reply With Quote

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games