Irish Poker Boards
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 09-02-19, 11:36   #421
Lazare
GFML

Cheers man, I'll tell him you were asking for him. He lives in Spain now, still pokering away, plays a couple of tourneys a week. He's quite the nit, but he does ok

Give us what your typical week is, effort levels, paces etc. Doesn't sound right to be gassed out on a weekend long run.
Old 09-02-19, 11:53   #422
Murdrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Cheers man, I'll tell him you were asking for him. He lives in Spain now, still pokering away, plays a couple of tourneys a week. He's quite the nit, but he does ok

Give us what your typical week is, effort levels, paces etc. Doesn't sound right to be gassed out on a weekend long run.
Well I'm a novice from the perspective of running but this week which is week 4 is the following and necessary notes

Monday 3KM run with some strength/stretching

Tuesday 6KM no notes on pace

Wednesday 4KM run 1KM easy, 2KM race pace, 1KM easy referred to as the Tempo Run

Thursday 4KM run with strength/stretching

Friday Rest Day

Saturday 8KM run

Sunday Cross Training
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-02-19, 12:53   #423
Lazare
GFML

That's a solid week.

Keep your paces easy for everything bar that tempo section on Wed. The easy bits either side of it are v important. Warm up and cool down. It's tempting to skip them and do more of the harder stuff, avoid doing that.

Does sound like you were running your long run too hard this morn. It's an injury risk but more importantly imo, you're not getting the training benefit the run is designed to give you.

Easy running, the long run in particular is important for working your aerobic system. Building endurance. Run too hard and it becomes anaerobic.

It's hard to define 'easy' as everyone's different. Easy pace can vary too dependant on how you feel. It's better thought of as effort.

Easy effort. If you could stop at any point in your run and have a relaxed chat without being out of breath, you're in the right zone.

Should feel too slow.

What you'll find is your easy effort pace increasing the stronger your aerobic system gets. This obviously translates across all your pace ranges.

I've been doing that the last couple of years, 80 - 90% easy and have experienced huge improvement.
Old 09-02-19, 12:59   #424
Lazare
GFML

Also, meant to say. For your Thursday run, ie, the day after a session or a harder run, dial back the effort even further. Recovery runs are vital too.

Would be tempted to switch Thurs and Fri myself, but once you keep it vv easy on those days it'll help avoid injury.
Old 09-02-19, 13:29   #425
Murdrum

Thanks Laz

I have flipped around days so I'll try that next week.

A few bits didn't go well between sleep, change of trainers, no breakfast so it's not overly surprising I was poor.
On the plus side, I definitely recovered quicker than normal today.
I knew it wasn't going well when my HR jumped quite quickly.

I'll drop in an update next week
Murdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 09-02-19, 17:41   #426
Goodluck2me

Quote:
I'll be doing Corkagh this weekend as part of an 8 mile run.

Will travel to Poolbeg for a meet up for sure. You want to pencil in a date?

Also Joe, be careful with your training. Try keep it all, or most of it, easy. Keep the pb attempts for races or the odd parkrun, maybe every three weeks. Not only will you avoid injury but you'll see vast improvement.
Yeah I find it very hard to do the slow running as you donít feel like youíre making progress! Iíve got slower over the course of the month as Iíve tried to train harder just to get the fitness up. It started as a weight loss thing so it worked for that purpose but Iíd like to get faster now. Iím going to try add in some hill running too for strength.

Park run is a good barometer as I was 3 seconds slower than last time I did it, but there was a massive headwind today, so think strength wise I think it was good. I definelty need to loosen up before hand a bit better as with my formerly broken ankle itís never completely free.

What would you recommend for a weekís training, assuming ~4:15 is top race pace? Is 5min/km too quick?
Goodluck2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-19, 18:05   #427
Lazare
GFML

Yeah, 5:00 is too fast. Too fast for your vast bulk. That sort of pace serves a purpose though. E.g., a progression long run where you'll build from very easy to a decent clip over say 12 or 15k.

When you say 4:15 is your top race pace do you mean it's your 5k pace?

Mine is in and around that, 4:11 or so and most of my running is between 5:45 and 6:10 at the moment.

My goal 5k pace for 2019 is better than 3:59, when I get there the bulk of my running will still be in pretty much that range.

The gains are made at that slower pace. You're building the endurance to hold your fast pace for longer.

I'm just about to do a bit of cooking and getting kids to bed, I'll post up a sample week for you later.
Old 09-02-19, 22:00   #428
Lazare
GFML

Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
Thurs - 5k easy
Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx
Old 10-02-19, 11:27   #429
Solksjaer!

Got back into running this past while . No structure to it just when I get a chance. I find going out and doing just a mile at a good pace has me feeling excellent afterwards. I really enjoy the sweaty after run stretches too. Will never run 17m again for a 5k but the old familiar feelings are nostalgicaly enjoyable too.
I say get out and listen to your head and body .
Running is different for everyone. Yesterday had a hangover day and nearly seized up doing nothing Gotta keep moving I suppose . Good luck to ye all say hello as you pass me and please offer up some cpr should you think I need it.
Solksjaer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 14:17   #430
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Been thinking about what a typical week looks like, and what to recommend.

It really depends on where you are, where you want to be and what you can commit.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, you want to improve at 5k.

I've learned the hard way last year that there's no quick way to get where you want to be. You need a solid base of fitness before you can succeed, injury free, at taking chunks off race times.

Good news is it's the perfect time of year to build that base. A solid aerobic base.

I'm currently in week 5 of an 8 week base building phase. The intention then is to start a 12 week 5k training plan which will have me race ready at the end of May. Just in time for a whole Summer of races and parkruns.

A typical week right now is, rest Mon, easy Tue, easy with some strides (or little bit of tempo) Wed, easy Thurs, rest Fri, progression long run Sat, rest Sun. Building to 48km per week.

It's all about mileage and consistency. If you can, run four days a week, with a long run at the weekend. Three days is fine if you're limited to that.

Keep it all easy pace for a few weeks.

Tue - 5k easy
Wed - 6k easy with 5x 100m strides
Thurs - 5k easy
Sat - 10k easy

The next week make the long run 12k, the following week make it 6k, 7k, 6k, 12k. Build slowly.

Go mad at parkrun if you want, but not every week, and include it as part of your long run. Build your mileage gradually.

Do that until late March then introduce some specific workouts, reps etc, and I guarantee you you will be running 5k in 19:xx
Thanks for that Conor, I think the other things which is interesting to me is the mental side of the run. The first couple of time I ran without looking at my pace I ended up running much faster, but when Iím conscious of it i typically donít. Iíll give these tips a go for the craic to see how I get on and update accordingly.
2 Thanks From:
Old 17-02-19, 12:49   #431
The Aul Switcharoo

Ran a 4 mile race today in 31.32. Very happy with that considering the past couple of days I've had literally no energy in work. Got a nice long sleep in before it so naturally helped.

It really is mad how much faster you run a "race." Generally I run twice, maybe 3 times a week at most with an average of 9.5 min miles and I'd feel like I'm going 100% in them. I go out then and run >8 min miles in a race
Old 18-02-19, 07:55   #432
Goodluck2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
Ran a 4 mile race today in 31.32. Very happy with that considering the past couple of days I've had literally no energy in work. Got a nice long sleep in before it so naturally helped.

It really is mad how much faster you run a "race." Generally I run twice, maybe 3 times a week at most with an average of 9.5 min miles and I'd feel like I'm going 100% in them. I go out then and run >8 min miles in a race
Thats good going, it seems like an unusual race distance? I do everything in km so had to do the mental conversion to see what pace you really did. Do yiu get out much?
Old 18-02-19, 11:22   #433
Mellor

Seriously neglecting the Strava these days
Old 19-02-19, 07:15   #434
Solksjaer!

Move up levels lads

https://www.armagh5k.com
Old 11-03-19, 15:45   #435
Solksjaer!

What is yer average km times when training.
How many runs per week ?

What decent running socks do you use ?
Old 11-03-19, 15:58   #436
ionapaul

I'm so bad at present - in between sickness, the cold and windy weather and the extreme difficulty in getting out for runs due to the demands of a 1 year old (!), I've only done around 20km for each of January and February. And that's after 2 x 5km runs on January 1st!

In an ideal world, which for me was last summer when the lovely weather meant I ran a lot during my lunch time in work, I aimed for 20km+ per week, made up of two or three mid-week runs of between 6km-10km length and then a fast parkrun on Saturday mornings.

My average km time per mid-week run is around 4:50km, which I would guess is probably a little too fast for 'training' purposes and means I am a bit wrecked once I hit 8km and am ready to pack it in. Struggle to slow it down any more than this, feels very unnatural.
ionapaul is online now   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-03-19, 16:04   #437
ArmaniJeans
Closed Account

Location: In the heart of Transylvania, in the Vampire Hall of Fame Yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solksjaer! View Post
How many runs per week ?

5.50/5.75 per kilometre.
It's slower than parkrun times but I don't consciously run slower - it just happens that way as I'm running solo so my mind drifts, it's usually dark and my route through the housing estate is twisty turny.

Trying for a consistent 14K a week. (Did a 12K on Saturday which was a new long distance and helped me back on track after falling a bit behind).

Bought a 3 pack of coloured running socks for €5 in Aldi a few years ago, they have served me well although the blue has a big hole on the right heel and the red has turned a bit pink.
ArmaniJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 11-03-19, 22:16   #438
Lazare
GFML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solksjaer! View Post
How many runs per week ?

My average is around 5:35 but it depends on the run. Tomorrow will be 8k in and around that with some hill sprints and strides at the end.
Wed will be 13k starting at 5:55 and building to 5:15.
Fri will be 11k with 5x 3 min uphill bits at about 4:10
Sat will be 5k at about 6.10 pace.
Sun will be 14.5k 5:55 - 5:15

Have about 15 pairs of Nike ankle socks. Am always rooting around looking for a pair though.
Old 15-03-19, 08:29   #439
Solksjaer!

I went out jogging. It seems I will need more than a yellow warning hurricane fully behind me to quicken my pace. I'm obviously too heavy to move.
Old 15-03-19, 09:08   #440
BennyHiFi

Don't feel bad Solks. I'm slow too, probably averaging 6.60 per km on a regular run, down to maybe 6.20 under race conditions.

I'm getting fatter and slower too unfortunately as I hurtle towards 50 but soldier on we must.
BennyHiFi is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games