Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
    Ok grand so.

Why offended by the tweet ??
    I wasn't offended by it. Just put it here as its surely a topic of interest here what with it being an Irish poker forum....

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
      Wow, the speed of this guy! He's a 21 year old from Borneo FC called Terens Puhiri. Even the defender tracking back has a bit of Usain Bolt about him.

Just seen on reddit that this is fake. There are frames missing from the gif that makes it faster. If you look at the GIF playing beside a timer the seconds speed up.
      It's also been stretched into side screen, so it looks likes he's covering more distance. Check out how deep the box is

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Also, best not to talk further really about someone who isn't able to defend themselves on here anymore. Thanks.

Comment

I got a strong sense of a light bulb going off with regard to potential legal issues with those posts. I see that twitter account which had a tweet referencing dice has been taken down also.

Comment

Lets not be deleting anything potentially incriminating, the LOLs to be had from a slander or defamation action would be something wonderful to behold
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Out of pure nosiness, was P&F a poker player?
              Or even a female for that matter?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Lets not be deleting anything potentially incriminating, the LOLs to be had from a slander or defamation action would be something wonderful to behold
                For you, not me. I asked dice about deleting stuff anyhow and he was happy to let it play out, which it has.

Comment

Really didn't take it as P+F accusing Dice of anything inappropriate beyond being a bit irked that he shared her Twitter post. Not sure where anyone else would have gotten that impression either....

Also, related to the original point, while I don't think she did herself any favours in terms of how she made her points, if you folks don't think that women who play poker or in any male dominated game are subject to unpleasant experiences/comments that men don't get then you're kidding yourselves.

The whole 'not all men' argument isn't really an argument and is routinely used to deflect from conversation that men are uncomfortable with rather than facing up to the reality that a woman who decides to start playing poker has a very different experience in terms of what she has to deal with compared to what men go through.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                    For you, not me. I asked dice about deleting stuff anyhow and he was happy to let it play out, which it has.
                    Wasn't ever imagining it would be Dice looking for a day in court

Comment

Agree with all those 2nd two paragraphs completely Ed but you must have missed a few things that was said according to your first paragraph
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                        Really didn't take it as P+F accusing Dice of anything inappropriate beyond being a bit irked that he shared her Twitter post. Not sure where anyone else would have gotten that impression either....

Also, related to the original point, while I don't think she did herself any favours in terms of how she made her points, if you folks don't think that women who play poker or in any male dominated game are subject to unpleasant experiences/comments that men don't get then you're kidding yourselves.

The whole 'not all men' argument isn't really an argument and is routinely used to deflect from conversation that men are uncomfortable with rather than facing up to the reality that a woman who decides to start playing poker has a very different experience in terms of what she has to deal with compared to what men go through.
                        You'd imagine there is some truth to her original point and sad truth she probably would be more vulnerable than majority of women but you still can't go accusing a random innocent person on an internet forum of something that serious and expect anything other than a ban.
                        Profit before people.

Comment

++

Comment

...#PrayforP&F...

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                              Agree with all those 2nd two paragraphs completely Ed but you must have missed a few things that was said according to your first paragraph
                              That's fully possible as there was a bunch to go through and as I said, I don't think she makes her points well

Comment

Where are donal og and David Walsh when you need them

Comment

I feel Dom isn't the right man for these sort of pronouncements. Don't get me wrong, fine man and all that but for moments like these, you can't beat Lloyd.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                    I feel Dom isn't the right man for these sort of pronouncements. Don't get me wrong, fine man and all that but for moments like these, you can't beat Lloyd.
                                    OMG you weren't happy enough to have her banned, you wanted her dead

Comment

Off to Stelley Dan( or the Donald fagan show) on Sat. Also in Dublin are Hall and Oates would have gone to this also. . Bad timing.

In tribute to H&Os and P&F.

She's gone, oh I, oh I'd
                                      Better learn how to face it
                                      She's gone, oh I, oh I'd
                                      Pay the devil to replace her
                                      She's gone, what went wrong...

Someone need to add the grey whistle version of this . Can't do it at the mo.

Comment

Also, best not to talk further really about someone who isn't able to defend themselves on here anymore. Thanks.
                                        That's the best time to talk about people.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw
                                          OMG you weren't happy enough to her her banned, you wanted her dead
                                          He has more natural gravitas than 5star.

When LL pronounces on something, it stays pronounced upon.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Ok so read it back, P+F even worse at making a point than first imagined.

It's a shame as well because it's important that grown ups can talk about serious issues like grownups.

I did get to see MrsFD's OctoHen picture which you should definitely make, get a load of garlic involved and roast octopus is one of the best things ever

Comment

In other news, went to Whitby at Smock Alley last night, part of the bram stoker festival, very enjoyable

Comment

It's like the difference between HH and AJ.

If they both say 'the earth is flat', with HH you think "it's Hitch, that sounds like bollix, I'm gonna look it up", whereas with AJ you just think "OK, point taken".

Comment

Edit - Youtube links not working as links in the text? Looked exactly correct in preview.

On a related subject, I remember reading this last year, and also watching the corresponding podcast (plus Shaun Deeb's reply)
                                                  She doesn't do a much better job than P+F delivering her case either.

TIMESTAMPS BELOW**Joining me on the podcast today is Jaclynn Moskow. Jaclynn recently wrote a blog post titled "Racism & Sexual Harassment: The Reality of my...

Last edited by Flushdraw; 26-10-17, 11:20.

Comment

That's fully possible as there was a bunch to go through and as I said, I don't think she makes her points well
                                                    I figure you more seed the post, or that it's deleted.
                                                    It was fairly outright tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                      I see that twitter account which had a tweet referencing dice has been taken down also.
                                                      Back up and responding on twitter to posts.

Comment

I actually make a point of calling this kind of behaviour out whenever I see it, and have done so several times. I've done it here even, specifically when someone was creeping on PAF.

Usually it's just people taking banter too far, or acting cluielessly without realising they've crossed a line. They usually back down as soon as someone points out they've gone too far. The occasional dickhead doubles down it, but then the whole room tends to turn on them and that puts a stop to that.

But then there's the occasional genuine creep, using terrible "banter" as a cover for their creeping. They're usually extremely careful not to be too obvious when other men are paying attention. These are the ones we all need to learn to spot, keep a real close eye on, and challenge as much as possible.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The only sexism i ever witnessed albeit in a very short table time was in the Sporting circa 06. The golden time. There was some Irish woman, young enough early 20s maybe that had a big score at the time and was quite well known on the table.

Scumbag 1 - Ah you're your wan. Ah yeah , ah yeah. I've read about you.
                                                            Woman : You've read about me? Where?
                                                            Scumbag 2 just blurts out - IN DA JACKS

Table erupts with laughter and she either stormed off or left the table for a break i can't remember. Did feel a bit bad for her but admittedly did laugh too. Think it only stuck with me because i never seen any worse than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                              The only sexism i ever witnessed albeit in a very short table time was in the Sporting circa 06. The golden time. There was some Irish woman, young enough early 20s maybe that had a big score at the time and was quite well known on the table.

Scumbag 1 - Ah you're your wan. Ah yeah , ah yeah. I've read about you.
                                                              Woman : You've read about me? Where?
                                                              Scumbag 2 just blurts out - IN DA JACKS

Table erupts with laughter and she either stormed off or left the table for a break i can't remember. Did feel a bit bad for her but admittedly did laugh too. Think it only stuck with me because i never seen any worse than that.
                                                              Female dealers get a rougher time than players imo

Comment

It's like the difference between HH and AJ.

If they both say 'the earth is flat', with HH you think "it's Hitch, that sounds like bollix, I'm gonna look it up", whereas with AJ you just think "OK, point taken".
                                                                Just realised I haven't yet forgiven AJ for the time he tried to have me on a flight back from Clermont before the match had started ("they'll never schedule that game for Sunday afternoon, guaranteed Saturday fixture").

Always Verify people.

Comment

Just realised I haven't yet forgiven AJ for the time he tried to have me on a flight back from Clermont before the match had started ("they'll never schedule that game for Sunday afternoon, guaranteed Saturday fixture").

Always Verify people.
                                                                  That one time I was wrong, never allowed forget.

Comment

The funny bit was The Torygraph seemed to nick my incorrect guess at which match would be on which day (I'm sure that didn't actually happen)

Ended up bizarrely with 3 quarter finals on the Saturday and just one on the Sunday, lol rugby admininstrators.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                      That one time I was wrong, never allowed forget.
                                                                      It would have been amusing had I followed your advice. Instead took a 9 hour train journey to Brussels on the Monday followed by a flight home. One way to wait out a hangover.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Was flicking through the channels Saturday night and caught the first episode of season 4 of the wire starting on Sky Atlantic. Bastards. Just finished season 5 there now.

Back walking with a pimp limp with my hands stuffed in the jacket pockets and eye balling any nigga that looks ready to step to me. All inner thoughts in a Bmore accent too. Sky Atlantic. Bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                              Was flicking through the channels Saturday night and caught the first episode of season 4 of the wire starting on Sky Atlantic. Bastards. Just finished season 5 there now.

Back walking with a pimp limp with my hands stuffed in the jacket pockets and eye balling any nigga that looks ready to step to me. All inner thoughts in a Bmore accent too. Sky Atlantic. Bastards.
                                                                              I said, "That's how they do" to a friend the other day and he had no idea what it meant. Perfectly cromulent Baltimore phraseology IMO.
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post

either step up or step the fuck off

Comment

Jesus I need to post more. What the sweet fuck happened in here???
                                                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                    Hey, about that Brussels connection you have. Is AD7 considered a decent level in EU jobs, or is that seen as grunt level? Presume your pals are high up. Think the salary for AD7 is about €70k with relocation, but I suspect thats considered very much mid-level and they wouldn't consider someone with PhD for that type of work.
                                                                                    Dude, you have some very strange notions as to what I talk to these guys about! From the little I do absorb, €70k sounds about toilet cleaner level though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                      P&F was taken seriously and the shit hit the fan. She is now banned and living the life she wants on twitter.** *As usual in a male dominated group the woman was the victim and thus accused and then punished. As it should be Dice meanwhile is still at large and it won’t be until probably after his death until the full truth comes out , which by then will be too late for any real sense of justice.

*

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                                        P&F was taken seriously and the shit hit the fan. She is now banned and living the life she wants on twitter.** *As usual in a male dominated group the woman was the victim and thus accused and then punished. As it should be Dice meanwhile is still at large and it won’t be until probably after his death until the full truth comes out , which by then will be too late for any real sense of justice.

*
                                                                                        Nailed it,clAssic IPB establishment cover up.join the dots sheeple.follow the money

Comment

"you got the briefcase, I got the shotgun, it's all in the game" Fuck me I love the wire
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

From Harry Hanrahan... A selection of the top 100 quotes from The Wire, the greatest TV show ever made. Contains spoilers from all 5 seasons! First featured ...

Comment

A winter rewatch could be on the cards
                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                  I actually make a point of calling this kind of behaviour out whenever I see it, and have done so several times. I've done it here even, specifically when someone was creeping on PAF.

Usually it's just people taking banter too far, or acting cluielessly without realising they've crossed a line. They usually back down as soon as someone points out they've gone too far. The occasional dickhead doubles down it, but then the whole room tends to turn on them and that puts a stop to that.

But then there's the occasional genuine creep, using terrible "banter" as a cover for their creeping. They're usually extremely careful not to be too obvious when other men are paying attention. These are the ones we all need to learn to spot, keep a real close eye on, and challenge as much as possible.
                                                                                                  Just thinking about this a bit further, I think the reason feminists are so enraged by #NotAllMen is because they're incapable of making these delineations. I can easily categorise someone based on their actions and their reaction to being called out, but feminism says it's all just rape culture. There's no reliable way to tell the difference between banter, creeping and harassment for them. It's all subjective, therefore they are all the same thing. Postmodernism innit.

Comment

I'd happily clean toilets for 70k.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                      can blame me, apologies i am still laughing at this post though

Comment

Thoughts on Zebo being dropped for November series?

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                          I was kinda thinking that. Saw its 15k a month up near the higher levels with 16% expat topup on top of that (16% is is just about the amount needed to pay the EU tax that replaces domestic tax if you work for EU). So a net 15k a month. There's a few things you could do with that. It might even make up for living in Belgium.
                                                                                                          Belgium is grand tbh. Probably pretty high up on the list of countries I could tolerate living in....as evidenced by the fact that I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                            Thoughts on Zebo being dropped for November series?
                                                                                                            Makes sense to cut him now if you aren't going to pick him next season, especially if you consider the AIs as just being preparation for future 6Ns and WCs.

I do have a problem with it from the coaches pov, personally if I was a manager of a representative team (an unlikely scenario) I'd insist on being able to pick anyone I wanted - absolutely no concept of administrators having a veto or interfering. I quite admired Capello for resigning when the FA told him he couldn't pick JT26 for example. Giving Joe the benefit of the doubt perhaps he agrees with and supports the policy rather than it being dictated to him.

Comment

Just thinking about this a bit further, I think the reason feminists are so enraged by #NotAllMen is because they're incapable of making these delineations. I can easily categorise someone based on their actions and their reaction to being called out, but feminism says it's all just rape culture. There's no reliable way to tell the difference between banter, creeping and harassment for them. It's all subjective, therefore they are all the same thing. Postmodernism innit.
                                                                                                              I was trying to make a point like this this morning but you put it better than I could.

I think we will never get to the (necessary) discussion about the female experience because each side thinks its so one sided. Any disagreements are met by accusations.

To your last point though - who here can't say they thought they were being the most charming mother fucker in the world at some stage but yet the interpretation of that by ANY other party could cause serious issues for all parties.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Theresa; 26-10-17, 14:58.
                                                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Google maps search for gobshites

Comment

I'd happily clean toilets for 70k.
                                                                                                                  Given the state of the environment I've inherited, I seem to be doing pretty much that
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Would have a different take on it. From what i've seen the #NotAllMen stuff is always showing up as a reaction to women expressing themselves in how they've been effected by violence committed by men.

While there's obviously an argument that some women do believe that all men are shits, the reality is that there seems like a significant push to lump all women who speak up or highlight issues as being "feminists". I put that in quotes because "feminist" is routinely used as a dismissive term to lump everyone in as man-hating whiners which deflects from the reality that the vast vast majority of people who identify as feminists aren't militant nuts similarly to people who might express right wing leanings aren't all nazis.

The reality is that nearly all physical violence experienced by women is committed by men and when, instead of engaging with the discussion, some men fire back with #NotAllMen solely as a way to diminish the issue rather than to stick up for mens rights.

It's a gigantic cop out to do that imo and it's because we don't want to deal with having think of our brothers or mates as being physically or sexually violent against women. We want to maintain the happy narrative that the abusers and rapists are some manner of non-verbal drooling trenchcoat wearing animals instead of the people we go to the pub with despite the mountains of evidence that most abuse committed against women is perpetrated by men and for people to say that it's not their problem or not their responsibility is just burying your head in the sand.

Going back to what you said about calling people out on their behavior, there's been pretty dramatic changes from a societal point of view in the last decade in terms of people being willing to speak up or to understand that some behaviors that someone might think are just 'banter' could make someone uncomfortable. Obviously there's degrees to that and what some people might find threatening or scary differs for others but even thinking about the possibility that it may be the case is a positive.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that anyone who has been in the poker scene for any length of time and not notice how, at the very least, awkward, it can be for a woman.

When I first came on to the scene, the percentage of women playing poker was far less than it is now (and it's still very low). Every time I was at a table with a woman, at least half the guys would be fawning over her in some way. Going crazy if she bluffed for instance, as if being bluffed by a woman is a humiliation. So many times I've seen guys trying to chat her up in the most cringeworthy, creepy way possible making cringey, awkward comments. It makes the whole experience often quite uncomfortable for women, to say the least.

I don't understand what the hell chips was at attacking P&F. Demanding a potential harassment victim to name names or else they are full of shit is downright wrong and morally reprehensible imo. All it does is encourage people who have gone through some possibly very horrific experiences, to just stay quiet.

What P&F did in, what looks like falsely accusing Dice of some sort of inappropriate behaviour was totally out of order too and with proper acknowledgement of the mistake and an apology, it could have been resolved. But obviously that didn't happen and unless there were other posts deleted, the whole thing appears to be a clusterfuck. Ban seems justified in that regard.

On a wider note, I do think that it's fucking obvious that not all men are creeps so there is no need to rebut with that point unless someone is directly claiming that every single man is a sexist bigot.

Comment

Very good post Ed. I find AFB's take on this profoundly depressing.

Comment

Waiting for the draw for the QF of the Carabao Cup and it's been as big a farce as the previous rounds draws. In the previous rounds, they've drawn Charlton out twice, had the draw on at 4am, and had an extra set of balls to decide if the 'seeded' team was home or away!

Now we're 20 mins late for the draw as they presumably try to find the correct pre-recorded version that keeps Arsenal, Man U, Man City and Chelsea apart!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X