No announcement yet.

Fat burning exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont get me wrong, I like all greens except the obv' ones.

I think I prob need to kick up the red meat and cheese, neither if which I eat very much of. Will add to shopping list.

Comment

You're making great progress! I found it takes time to adjust to getting the balance right for your own bodies nutrient/dietary needs in light of your activity level and level of fat adaption. Keep adjusting the mix for your body and enjoying your foods and things will start to fall into place. Salt has a bad unwarranted rep, second only to the demonization of natural fats.

Still nice to be making healthy progress whilst adjusting the recipe as it were!
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by TomD View Post
        Hmmm, bacon, cheese, milk, butter, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, almonds. Yum!!
        A-fucking-men brother!! 12 years spent eating the wrong shit and swallowing the marketing. No more. A lifetime of a healthy body weight ahead. Incredible.
        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Those videos and one or two recent comments have convinced me I need to lose some poundage
          The missus wants to go to SW and I'm interested in this angle.

I'd generally have a roll everyday with coleslaw and whatever the joint of the day is in the canteen.
          Cutting out the bread is the big one, I take it slice of ham/lamb/chicken etc is fine with some kinda of salad? I love pizza & pasta though so I imagine this might be the struggle.
          Also alcohol, I rarely drink, but when I like a few pints. I'd generally avoid vodka and drinking shorts all day knocks me on my ass (recent example relevant :Tren
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I eat a lot of bread and pasta and usually get langered once per weekend and I still lost weight consistently.

If your tight on calorie counting and work hard in the gym it can still be done albeit probably makes it a bit harder.

Im picky re food, fish, nuts, seeds, red meat are all a no go for me.
            Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
            I like this heat - some proper music innit.
            None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I was always slim, never liked junk food but it's just the last few years that I found I can't keep the extra 4kg off me.

Seems like I've found a decent way now but still not mad about he idea of so much meat. I think once I get down to the prefect weight for me I can mix it up a little better.

Comment

@ DP/sickhabbit, lot of discussion in this thread could be useful

I've probably revised thoughts on some of the carb-hatred I posted originally. Replace "carb" with "processed carb" in the original post and it's more like my current philosophy.

Comment

Stop making excuses about beer and making a new improved way of eating be about deprivation. Do your research and own your own eating habits. The occasional pissup won't derail you.

If you want to do it all the info you need is here. Just go for it with the same commitment you would to improving your poker game and stop taking the conventional information at face value.

All of this talk about missing bread is fucking hilarious. Lose the bread eat more steak, seabass, cod, duck and pork and loads of awesome veggies. Bitching about bread is basically saying your not prepared to do the smallest thing to lose weight. You don't even need to exercise ffs.

Missing bread is like talking about folding AA at the first table of the WSOP. It really is that nonsensical.

GL with it.

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  Those videos and one or two recent comments have convinced me I need to lose some poundage

I'd generally have a roll everyday with coleslaw and whatever the joint of the day is in the canteen.
                  Cutting out the bread is the big one, I take it slice of ham/lamb/chicken etc is fine with some kinda of salad? I love pizza & pasta though so I imagine this might be the struggle.
                  Also alcohol, I rarely drink, but when I like a few pints. I'd generally avoid vodka and drinking shorts all day knocks me on my ass (recent example relevant :Tren

Comment

I found that eating those processed carbs makes you want them more, when your tastebuds and blood sugar levels normalise after a week or two eating properly the thought of something like a sugary bun is abhorrent.
                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Am also giving this a shot, fruit and yoghurt or an omelette in the morning, some sort of tuna, tofu, veg salad in the afternoon/evening and some nuts for snacks. No idea if I'm losing weight but certainly have more energy, also means I can play more poker as it was a no go after a plate of pasta as I was way too sluggish. Will try to add in some more types of fish but staple is eggs, tuna and tofu for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                        Stop making excuses about beer and making a new improved way of eating be about deprivation. Do your research and own your own eating habits. The occasional pissup won't derail you.

If you want to do it all the info you need is here. Just go for it with the same commitment you would to improving your poker game and stop taking the conventional information at face value.

All of this talk about missing bread is fucking hilarious. Lose the bread eat more steak, seabass, cod, duck and pork and loads of awesome veggies. Bitching about bread is basically saying your not prepared to do the smallest thing to lose weight. You don't even need to exercise ffs.

Missing bread is like talking about folding AA at the first table of the WSOP. It really is that nonsensical.

GL with it.
                        In my opinion the concept of giving up bread is daunting more from the convenience rather than taste point of view, at least that's how I found it.

Emmet/V, thoughs on mayonnaise, both regular and low fat?

Comment

Fuck Gayonaisse.

Men eat full fat and enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                            In my opinion the concept of giving up bread is daunting more from the convenience rather than taste point of view, at least that's how I found it.

Emmet/V, thoughs on mayonnaise, both regular and low fat?
                            Yeah that's a fair enough reason. It's the only excuse I give any creedance to but even then you can work around it relatively easily if you genuinely want to lose fat.

I know nothing about mayonnaise except not to buy the stuff and make your own if you want to know what you're eating. Personally I stick to decent quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar for my salads.
                            Last edited by V for Vendetta; 10-07-12, 18:23.

Comment

And if you really really really really can't live without bread, you can make your own paleo bread with eggs, water and milled flaxmeal.

Also, re: Mayonaisse, I suggest full fat always, but as always, careful with the calories.

In the main, avoid foods that have "low fat" as selling points. That "The Men who Made us Fat" documentary on BBC2 last week was a really good summation of the "Fat Myth". We replaced Fat with sugar, then spent all the money on trying to recreate the taste and satiety of Fat with AN Other substances.

If Fat has been replaced with Sugar in your diet, you've managed to stab yourself twice.

Comment

GL with it.
                                Id rather eat my cat than any of those.

I eat brown bread with eggs in the morning and usually a sandwich at about 11pm watching tv.

Going to try a ham omelette in the morning though and ditch the bread.
                                None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

I never ate much bread anyway so dont miss it, but it is handy of you want a quick snack. I did however think I would really miss rice and pasta, hasn't happened yet.

I did take a lump out of my daughters leftover from lunch roll today and I have no idea why!

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                    Id rather eat my cat than any of those.

I eat brown bread with eggs in the morning and usually a sandwich at about 11pm watching tv.

Going to try a ham omelette in the morning though and ditch the bread.
                                    Lol. I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. Rather eat cat then steak??

Enjoy your omelette anyway.

Comment

Re: What to get in a spar shop, no need to get a roll/sandwich at the deli. You can ask them for a salad bowl, and can fill that with whatever you would have in the roll, just without the bread. Like sometimes I'd get tuna, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, cucumber, onions etc in a salad bowl. Really nice and pretty low in carbs (onions wouldn't be great but hey...)

Comment

Lol. I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. Rather eat cat then steak??

Enjoy your omelette anyway.
                                        Lol Im not mad on big chunks of meat and if I did have it it would have to be well done to fuck.

I know, im a bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                          Lol Im not mad on big chunks of meat and if I did have it it would have to be well done to fuck.

I know, im a bitch.
                                          Cut it into small cubes and fry the shit out of it if you like, its still protein.

Take your meat however YOU like it.
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Woman told me she is considering getting one of these: http://www.vibroplates.ie/how-it-works.html

As a friend recommended it.
                                            I am sceptical to say the least.

Thoughts?
                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                              Woman told me she is considering getting one of these: http://www.vibroplates.ie/how-it-works.html

Thoughts?
                                              They have them in 2 gyms I've been to - I wouldn't write them off but I wouldn't bother using one myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                I've probably revised thoughts on some of the carb-hatred I posted originally. Replace "carb" with "processed carb" in the original post and it's more like my current philosophy.
                                                + 1 to this.

I know I can be quite zealous about no carbs. But it mostly to get the point across, as the carbs of choice that 90% of the population are all the crap. Once you get a handle on it you can't plenty from decent portions of veg.

Thoughts?
                                                Mostly nonsense.
                                                It takes a bit of effort to stand on it steady when its cranked up but no where near the effort required for weights/HIIT/rowing or any of the other stuff.
                                                They claim that 10 mins = 1 hr in the gym and burns 350 calories which is total bollox. There's is obviously a tiny sample of date skewed to back this up for marketing purposes, but that approach should put you off them as a product/company immediately.

The reason people recommend them is because all exercise requires a good diet along with it to lose weight. When people then lose weight, they attribute it to the vibroplate and overlook the fact they would of lost almost the same weight with that diet alone.

Comment

Hopefully she forgets about it. It sounds incredibly unpleasant. Can't imagine someone standing on something for 30 mins everyday while it just shakes the fuck out of them.
                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Vibro-plate is a ridic item.

There is no easy exercise that benefits you. Exercise = "Doing Work" (Newtons).

It is easier to eat properly and barely train to lose weight than it is to train hard and eat poorly.

Obviously eating properly and training hard is synergistic.

Comment

My Mum has a vibro plate, she 71 and lost 2 stone in about 2 months with a mix of this and regular walking. FWIW she always walked so it wasn't just that!

Comment

losing weight is a sum.

Calories in - Calories out = Calorie Surplus or Calorie Deficit

She lost weight, then Calories in were less than calories out.
                                                        This could be because of a decrease in the amount of calories taken, or the increase in calories burnt (or both).

'Vibroplating' every day for one hour while maintaining the exact maintenance diet (Calories in and calories out = 0) would mean you have a 350 kcal (at their reading, definitely not true! Probably closer to 180/200) deficit. You need 10 days of this deficit to lose 1lb of weight. Or 8 months to lose 2 stone.

I'm not denying that it might have helped in that it created a routine which involved eating better. But it certainly wasn't the 1 hour of Vibro-Plate even at their own claims of performance that accelerated her weight loss.

Comment

It was just anecdotal, she may have changed he diet massively too.

Comment

Hopefully she forgets about it. It sounds incredibly unpleasant. Can't imagine someone standing on something for 30 mins everyday while it just shakes the fuck out of them.
                                                            my ma has one
                                                            It's fucking gas.
                                                            I've no idea what benefit it gives you other than a laugh.
                                                            It's pretty much the same idea as these old things;
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

It's a load of bollocks tbh, the vibroplate thing I mean. Waste of time, money and not to mention boring. Who the fuck want's to stand around while something shakes you around a bit?

There's no magic formula for losing weight. Reduce or cut(preferably cut) your wheat and sugar intake, watch the weight fall. Cut out that white sliced loaf and cans of coke alone and you should notice a difference.

Most people are satisifed with simply losing weight(I know I was) but there's more to it then that. When I dropped to 70kg, I was thin but I had stripped away too much muscle mass also, essentially skinny fat. I'm almost 90kg now once again and i've built a decent amount of muscle mass. But when you're 140kg+ all you care about is losing weight, you don't care about muscle mass or anything like that. You just want it gone, so it's quite understandable.

I know which weight i'd rather be now though.

Just remember a weighing scales won't always tell the full story. Skinfolds and bodyweight measurements are more effective. I'm 20kg heavier but my waist size is the same and I take the same size shirt as I did when I was 70kg.

Also, V for Vendetta speaks a lot of sense.

Comment

Carb free day 2
                                                                Currently eating pork in Mushroom sauce with onions, baby corn and peppers courtesy of my local centra
                                                                No rice but did take 2 vegetable spring rolls.
                                                                Lunch is fucking awkward though, it was nigh impossible to get a lunch without a roll/wrap/bread.

Comment

Carb free day 2
                                                                  Currently eating pork in Mushroom sauce with onions, baby corn and peppers courtesy of my local centra
                                                                  No rice but did take 2 vegetable spring rolls.
                                                                  Lunch is fucking awkward though, it was nigh impossible to get a lunch without a roll/wrap/bread.
                                                                  Re: lunch. Tupperware is the only answer imo.

I make two dinners each night, one for now, one for lunch the next day. Double up on ingrediets.

Don't forget your water.

Comment

Re: lunch. Tupperware is the only answer imo.

I make two dinners each night, one for now, one for lunch the next day. Double up on ingrediets.

Don't forget your water.

I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago but go response. Surely can't be much wrong with getting a salad bowl in a deli and having tuna/lettuce/cheese/tomato/onion etc in it surely? Apart from their prices obv!

Comment

I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago but go response. Surely can't be much wrong with getting a salad bowl in a deli and having tuna/lettuce/cheese/tomato/onion etc in it surely? Apart from their prices obv!
                                                                      could do, but there's not really that many options, you get bored. It's fine for the occasional dip, but I'd much prefer spend 1minute extra making an extra portion of dinner each night and having 2 delicious meals a day..

Avacdo, chilli flakes, lime juice.
                                                                      Roasted myriad of vegetables soaked in olive oil
                                                                      Chicken, Chorizo and red pepper skewers.

Comment

Meh I got a salad in a cafe lately and although loaded with salad ingredients the chicken quantity was poor, probably not even a fillet. The more meat the better for me!

Don't forget your water.

Only 2 litres required for me it says, I take in about 3-4 though.

Comment

(that's a body requirement, not a recommended allowance. I'm well over usually)

Comment

Right this is going to be the most novice cooking question ever asked but seeing as those veggies look so good, and I'm tired of boiling brocolli & cauliflower all the time, how do I go about roasting veg? One of those oven dishes with tin foil on top & olive oil on veg? Time & temp?

Comment

#98
                                                                              wash, chop into similar size pieces, stir with tablespoon of olive oil, oven at 180 for 20/30 mins depending on portion size. Stir at least once during cooking. No need to cover the dish.

Aubergines, Peppers, courgettes, red onions etc
                                                                              Last edited by Emmet; 12-07-12, 19:12.

Comment

#99
                                                                                Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                Right this is going to be the most novice cooking question ever asked but seeing as those veggies look so good, and I'm tired of boiling brocolli & cauliflower all the time, how do I go about roasting veg? One of those oven dishes with tin foil on top & olive oil on veg? Time & temp?
                                                                                Steam your brocolli, much better for you and much tastier.

Comment

Hey guys my last plan didn't go so well. I think mainly because I got lazy but im going to give it a huge shot this time and record everything I eat/exercise as to encourage me. On the food side though I need some help. Im going to start fresh on monday. A few things id like to know are...

Eggs. Best/healthiest way to cook them. What can I have with them for breakfast.

Lunch/dinnner. If having meat/chicken and vegetables. Best/healthiest way to cook both? Also when I cook them can I cook enough for 2 days. Then keep in the fridge and eat cold or will that lose nutrients?

Snacks. Im not a big nut fan. What other options do I have apart from fruit etc.

Liquid. Ill be drinking only water throughout the day. Possibly a small glass of sugary fruit juice with my breakfast.

Alcohol. Im pretty sociable. Out on the drink to nightclubs at least twice a week. Now I cant really stop this but I know drastic improvements can be made depending on what you drink. Im a big cider/beer/vodka lemonade person. Ill drink pretty much anything though. Would vodka soda fresh lime be a much better drink calorie wise?

Appreciate all the awnsers I recieve

Comment

Breakfast: Eggs. What ever method you like. Boiled, poached, scrambled are nutritionally the same. Fryed obviously has extra cals/fat, but with a good non stick pan it a tiny amount.
                                                                                    I bring a tub with 4 eggs and chopped mushrooms and onions to work and microwave it. Very handy.

Lunch: Meat, same deal really. Roast, grill, stir fry. More or less the same. If its sitting in a half inch of oil obvious it'll effect calories, but there's no need for anything more than a tiny spray.
                                                                                    Veg: steaming is best for taste and nutrients. Some taste better roasted, like sweet potato, pumpkin. But both are miles ahead of chips or similar.

Alcohol: Spirits with either soda and line or a diet/sugar free mixer is best in terms of cals.

Comment

By steaming do you mean boiling in hot water? What would be ideal as a snack replacement instead of nuts?

Comment

For decent snacks eat more of the dinner/lunch you made. I always make more then one meals worth.

Coconut "macaroons" are something I like for snacks when hiking/cycling.

Desicated coconut 500g, 7 eggs, half a pot of honey (200gish), dried fruit to taste, vanilla paste or essence (and in my case nuts are added as well). Mix well in a bowl and leave for a bit mixing occasionally and then make little mounds on grease proof paper on a tray. Cook in an oven for 15-20 minutes at 230 or so and let them cool off on a rack when they are toasty brown coloured. They last about 5 days in a lunchbox but not around me!!

Good luck with this I hope you give it a genuine go and take control of your eating for yourself.

Comment

PS Have bacon with your eggs. Plus mushrooms, onions, peppers, and whatever else veggie wise you fancy.

Comment

Cheers for that! I assume with the bacon, grilling it is best. And when boiling vegetables in hot water is it necessary to add salt?

Also with the eggs for breakfast. If i am running every morning, should I eat my breakfast after my run? Or before?

Comment

Originally posted by SirRickyHatton View Post
                                                                                              Cheers for that! I assume with the bacon, grilling it is best. And when boiling vegetables in hot water is it necessary to add salt?

Also with the eggs for breakfast. If i am running every morning, should I eat my breakfast after my run? Or before?
                                                                                              Fry the bacon in full fat butter.

I add salt to my veggies on the plate to taste. I personslly tend to roast or fry veggies not boil.

I don't run so I can't advise but eat if you need energy before you go I guess.

Comment

Cheers! To be honest I have a pretty good metabolism so hopefully it does not take me long to get in to shape again. Fwiw im 6ft and weigh around 95kg. Really unfit at the min though and food diet is worst its ever been!

Comment

Steaming is cooking the veg over boiling water not in it. You get a special pot with holes in the base and that sits on a pit half full of water.
                                                                                                  It doesn't really matter if you eat before or after your run. What ever you rather. Personally I don't like to be full when exercising and prefer to enjoy my food after.

Comment

Still have Doms 3 days later, exercise or rest?

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                                                      Still have Doms 3 days later, exercise or rest?
                                                                                                      recovery exercise. I get DOMS terribly to be honest. Only thing for it is to get blood back into the muscles.

Do the same exercises with no/low weights to get the movement back in. DOMS gets better after a while. Foam rolling is another one for it, but I've no experience in that.

Comment

I had been pushing through previously and it helped it, had just read that you should rest, that sounds like the perfect compromise. cheers

Comment

Have you tried alternating cold water/hot water baths?
                                                                                                          Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                          https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Think I'm kind of turning a corner now.
                                                                                                            Not so hungry anymore, not cramping when running and playing football and beating my
                                                                                                            running and cycling times. Body feels better and continuing to lose weight. Down to 67.7 from 71kg now.

All the meat is gettin a bit much and I'm trying to eat as much fruit and veg as possible to compensate. Defo not sure I can give up rice and pasta for life. Would consider only having past once a month or so and brown rice twice a month but really going to have to start expanding my meal time options as I can see a bit peice of meat and some roast veg getting boring very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sickhabbit View Post
                                                                                                              Not so hungry anymore, not cramping when running and playing football and beating my
                                                                                                              running and cycling times. Body feels better and continuing to lose weight. Down to 67.7 from 71kg now.

All the meat is gettin a bit much and I'm trying to eat as much fruit and veg as possible to compensate. Defo not sure I can give up rice and pasta for life. Would consider only having past once a month or so and brown rice twice a month but really going to have to start expanding my meal time options as I can see a bit peice of meat and some roast veg getting boring very soon.
                                                                                                              Well ive had steak and roast vege's for dinner every night this week and I can truely say I won't get sick of it. Already noticed myself feeling better and healthier. Meal for tonight is same as last night. Rump steak with roasted peppers, mushrooms and carrots and I cant wait

Lunch im still finding tricky as im out and about but the first few days I made extra dinner and kept leftovers for lunch. Today I had a subway salad box with ham I made this morning. Think ill stick to that for lunch from now on and swap the ham every few days for roast beef or turkey etc.

Comment

Yeah, tbh I'm prob over complaining here. I'm a decent cook & have just been taking the easy route with steak or chicken. It's just a little time/creativity issue atm. I'm defo not going back to eating bread/white rice and pasta though!

Comment

Learn to cook so!!

Primal chilli, primal curry and various fish dishes are my go to meals when I want a break from meat and veg. Also cook more creamy sauces as that makes the meals tastier and gets more good fats into you.

It sounds like great progress so far anyway.

Comment

I'm defo not going back to eating bread/white rice and pasta though!
                                                                                                                    That's half the battle. Well done.

Comment

Went to the gym tonight and afterwards weighed myself. Since starting this diet on Monday it's looked like this.

Have drunk nothing but water (Although going out Saturday night for a big one but will stick to vodka, soda, fresh lime)

Breakfasts have been mostly eggs (3 boiled). Sometimes i just have the egss with a bit of tomato sauce, one day was with 2 slices of bacon and another day was with 1 sausage. Although one day i caved and had 2 slices of bread with them

Lunch has been either subway salads which are healthy as i don't take much of their sauce. or else extra cooked dinner from the night before

Dinner has been steak and roasted vegetables or Chicken breast with roasted vegetables

Snacks i normally just eat a few slices of ham/turkey. Although one day i had a packet of salted peanuts. I don't mind peanuts with flavour but obviously i won't be taking them as i realise they're not anywhere near as healthy as normal nuts

So i weighed 96kg last week (Im 6ft remember) and i was down to just under 94kg already. I think ill continue to lose weight fast as my motabilism is very fast considering im not even that fat and ive constantly ate bad food. The aim anyway is to get to 90kg then start putting on a bit of muscle. PI think the best thing is that i feel so much cleaner and healthier if that makes sense

Comment

Comment

Would yoghurt be considered an ok snack to have? Obviously natural yoghurt is but what about the flavoured ones? Are they loaded with sugar?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X