Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
    Thoughts on paying a lump sum off the mortgage? I did so last year as my savings were doing nothing (obv wish I stuck it all into BTC!), the calculator reported that I'd save way more in interest over the lifetime of the mortgage by using my lump sum in this way than I would in the context of the minuscule deposit savings interest.

Another year on, I'm still disgusted by the pathetic return on my savings and am tempted by doing the same thing again.

Am guessing my plan might be the prudent one but am I missing anything crucial? Obv the opportunity cost of losing access to that lump sum is something to think about, but the only really important reason I can think of for retaining a lump sum is the need for a house deposit for the next time we move.
    Humans have such a bias to action it’s unreal. Just stick with your plan Paul and get it paid off if you want to lock in a decent low risk return. If you want to gear up and chase returns elsewhere that’s a different thing.

Also pathetic cash returns when inflation is still very low is historically relatively attractive btw. We’re all anchored to returns and risk from a different time.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
      Sanchez finally confirmed. Exciting
      There's a chance this becomes one of the most retweeted tweets of the year.

Comment

Would be class if it's actually him playing the piano tbf. Dunno if he can or not. I couldn't help smiling watching that. In the current market that's extremely good business by both clubs imo

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
          Would be class if it's actually him playing the piano tbf. Dunno if he can or not. I couldn't help smiling watching that. In the current market that's extremely good business by both clubs imo
          He's played the piano at a few Arsenal gigs before, so it is him. I'm not so sure Asrenal got as good a deal as Utd! Meh, still a tough one to take at the moment.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

DART pulled into my stop and no doors could be opened! Then moved off again.

That's a new one even by IR standards.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

pay down de mortgage

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                  DART pulled into my stop and no doors could be opened! Then moved off again.

That's a new one even by IR standards.
                  What do you call a train that won't open it's doors at the station ?

SPOILER
                  Thomas the bastard

Comment

As long as you aren't using all your cash to do so, which I'm sure Paul is far too sensible to do, paying a chunk off the mortgage is definitely the right thing to do. I hate owing money, yet I have 2 mortgages, although 1 is taking care of itself now. The one that isn't is the more expensive one though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                      He's played the piano at a few Arsenal gigs before, so it is him. I'm not so sure Asrenal got as good a deal as Utd! Meh, still a tough one to take at the moment.
                      Why is he playing 'Stop the bus I wanna wee wee'?
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                        That's pretty class so. I know arsenal fans will be a bit peed but ye got a class player in miki and got rid of a player that didn't want to be there and would have left for nothing in 4.months.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          Why is he playing 'Stop the bus I wanna wee wee'?
                          Winner of the Venice Golden Lion award for Best Film, Roy Andersson's acclaimed new comedy-drama A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence forms the t...
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Ship the 8pm quiz! Weeeeeeeeeee.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                              Ship the 8pm quiz! Weeeeeeeeeee.
                              Enjoy your $6.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                Enjoy your $6.

Pffft, unimportant detail!

Comment

Very enjoyable Only Connect episode tonight.

Fun question: The job with a 1 in 11 mortality rate? American President.
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Merton by a distance 80+

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                      Very enjoyable Only Connect episode tonight.

Fun question: The job with a 1 in 11 mortality rate? American President.
                                      Second wall was so much tougher than the first, it was almost as if they wanted Gail Trimble's team to win

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        that was really good.
                                        I would be very interested in seeing a debate or interview when he talks to someone who can challenge him.
                                        That was batting practice which allowed a lot of what he said to appear beyond rebuke.
                                        I dont know enough about it to make an assumption on his accuracy but it was very clear that the interviewer was lost.

Badgering as a form of inquiry doesn't really work with academics, you could tell (i listened only) that the whole thing just seemed to amuse him . I'd like to see how he holds up with someone more versed in the matter
                                        Here's the full Joe Rogan podcast where I think Weinstein owns him re: religion. I've watched nearly everything he's produced and a ton of commentary and have only seen him genuinely challenged this one time:

Jordan Peterson is a clinical psychologist and tenured professor of psychology at the University of Toronto. You can check out all Dr. Peterson's self-improv...

I know it's three hours long. :-/ When I have time later I'll find the exact moment, but it's when Weinstein says "At what point does an ideology contain so much legacy code that we should just throw the whole thing out?"
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          Second wall was so much tougher than the first, it was almost as if they wanted Gail Trimble's team to win
                                          The walls can be quite variable if you don’t see a few links at all. I do believe the selection is random though. Not quite that paranoid yet!

Comment

What on earth was that Letter, city population question about?

Edit: Seems it was double letters in the names of the cities ordered by population
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 22-01-18, 21:30.

Comment

Was watching University Challenge once and stopped and rewound it and waited till the missus returned to the room, then rattled off all the answers in a posh footlights accent. I think my 2nd son was conceived later that evening.

Comment

Can't find a youtube version but this is deffo worth a clickthrough for the cricket catch(es) of the year

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/s/63j9c/pkecgp" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Comment

...Was hoping to see some chat about the housing scheme announced today, for people like me lol...
                                                  ...My circumstances are: living at home, single, no kids, salary of mid 30k which obviously isn't great... Before this , there would have been no chance of me getting on property ladder in next few years... I'm wondering what people's opinion of the scheme are, and if there are any obvious catches...
                                                  ...Have they announced how much of a mortgage someone like me could get, or is it just 3.5X salary?...Will there be a priority list favouring other people, or how will they decide who gets it?...
                                                  ...I'm struggling to find too much information, although my family seem to think it would be a good thing and I am seriously considering going for it...
                                                  ...Thanks to all you finance/housing experts in advance!!...

...Edit, just read that apparently you need have been rejected twice by the banks, what a weird stipulation, counts me out bollix...
                                                  Last edited by luckforsome; 22-01-18, 22:18.

Comment

someone stick an appropriate meme there for Deadparrot.

Swanchez. Liverpool obviously knackered themselves out against City.

I may or may not be killed in Liverpool the weekend.

Comment

we got Salah , aha oh mane mane

Comment

Comment

First I heard of it, but on a macro level it seems a strange move? Just increases demand.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                            ...Was hoping to see some chat about the housing scheme announced today, for people like me lol...
                                                            ...My circumstances are: living at home, single, no kids, salary of mid 30k which obviously isn't great... Before this , there would have been no chance of me getting on property ladder in next few years... I'm wondering what people's opinion of the scheme are, and if there are any obvious catches...
                                                            ...Have they announced how much of a mortgage someone like me could get, or is it just 3.5X salary?...Will there be a priority list favouring other people, or how will they decide who gets it?...
                                                            ...I'm struggling to find too much information, although my family seem to think it would be a good thing and I am seriously considering going for it...

...Edit, just read that apparently you need have been rejected twice by the banks, what a weird stipulation, counts me out bollix...
                                                            There is a calculator here

shows elegibility to c. 170K

Getting refused by the banks will be the easy part.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                If necessary for the gambling comp I'll be expecting Mellor to make a call on 31/12/18 as to who (if anyone) is official UFC MW champion.
                                                                Probably be a good idea to appoint 3 judges for these sort of things.
                                                                No problem. I imagine it will be pretty clear cut.

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                It's staph infection in his stomach so the worry would be more that he won't be back in training any time soon and they may not want to mess around with interim belts any longer.
                                                                I'm aware of the circumstances and how serious it is. I just can't see them stripping somebody that quickly. Cruz was out 2 years due to injury before he was stripped.

Now they recognized it's staph, antibiotics should clear it up in a few weeks. The seriousness was down to it begin missed and mistreated.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    There is a calculator here

shows elegibility to c. 170K

Getting refused by the banks will be the easy part.
                                                                    ...This is the funny part...I 100% will be refused by banks, so should I just apply now and get rejected???...I'd imagine they'll be inundated with applications like this lol...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                        Would someone like AJ know if it's some sort of record that places 10-20 in Premier League are only separated by six points so advanced in the season? Haven't seen that close a table before anyway.
                                                                        This site is good for seeing the table on a specific day.
                                                                        20 years ago today there was 8 points between the bottom 10, that's the best I can find but I've only tried half a dozen different dates - you can try more if you are bored.

Comment

Comment

The population is going to grow by about 2million in the next 35 years.
                                                                            That figure must assume immigration policies don't change. I can see a shift from high volume low quality migration to merit based high quality low volume.

Comment

...Was hoping to see some update to the EPL comp today...

This too shall pass.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                      ...Was hoping to see some update to the EPL comp today...
                                                                                      ..., had to wait until Swansea beat Liverpool tonight 😂😂😂...Update in the morning!!!...

Comment

You're not even a good troll. Immigrants are better educated than Irish.
                                                                                        This is evidence of nothing really accept that were potentially taking in 52% extra people than we should be at a bare minimum - who says we need what they are offering. We should set up a list of areas of skills shortages and only accept immigration from those areas. Everything else we can source from own population.

Comment

What's your background Jack - young, old, Dublin, country, work in industry, how did you join a poker forum, etc? Would help to give a bit of context to where you are coming from on all of this.
                                                                                          I don't see this as relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                            This is evidence of nothing really accept that were potentially taking in 52% extra people than we should be at a bare minimum - who says we need what they are offering. We should set up a list of areas of skills shortages and only accept immigration from those areas. Everything else we can source from own population.
                                                                                            It's actually not very easy to just move here for work as a non-EU citizen. It is easier if you have a critical skill. I personally think moving somewhere to work should be much easier.

I must say though, fair play to you. You've been ploughing on with all your insane 'opinions', are continually 'just asking questions' in spite of all the facts. Takes some dedication.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                                                It's actually not very easy to just move here for work as a non-EU citizen. It is easier if you have a critical skill. I personally think moving somewhere to work should be much easier.

I must say though, fair play to you. You've been ploughing on with all your insane 'opinions', are continually 'just asking questions' in spite of all the facts. Takes some dedication.
                                                                                                Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies over the last few decades but still employs a skilled migration skills list. Its a no brainer.

Comment

Australia has one of the worlds strongest economies over the last few decades but still employs a skilled migration skills list. Its a no brainer.
                                                                                                  You're a no brainer

Comment

...

Comment

So we should emulate them by finding the world's most plentiful natural resources in Portlaoise and then add a billion and a half natural resource starved people to the UK?
                                                                                                      A COUNTY Laois company is pioneering the conversion of waste into fuel, which is welcome at a time of high charges for imported oil, petrol and other energy sources.

This is in Portlaoise.

Comment

..., had to wait until Swansea beat Liverpool tonight ������...Update in the morning!!!...
                                                                                                        An update on your pursuit of the purple taco is what I'm more interested in.
                                                                                                        Last edited by The Situation; 23-01-18, 04:50.
                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

Hate to be a journal snob, but if the research is published in the UCC in-house journal it's probably not as groundbreaking as it appears to be
                                                                                                            I'll take your word for it. I just remembered a company was highlighted at the end of the "Plastic Ocean" documentary as producing diesel from plastic in Portlaoise

Comment

I appreciate your opinion but you do know that the no voters will think they are the compassionate ones for wanting to save innocent life. The yes side clearly favour been compassionate to the mother more so.
                                                                                                              That's definitely what the no voters would believe. And they are entitled to that opinion.

The issue that a lot of people have in regards to the referendum is that it will reduced to;
                                                                                                              should be allow abortion without reason: yes/no
                                                                                                              I'm highly skeptical that this will play out honestly.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              That is certainly an argument.

On mcgrath though, if he used moral reasons for his stance I'd say fair enough, bit him purporting to uphold the view of the majority before a referendum is odd.
                                                                                                              The problem with that line of argument from him is that, should a yes motion pass. He would need to toe the line, or else just admit he was spouting nonsense. Much easier to just be honest now.

Comment

Around 30% of Australian permanent residents were born overseas. Which means it has one of the highest rates of migrant population in whole world. Behind only a few countries in the middle east. Among western countries is probably the highest in the world.

I'm not sure that Australia is a good example for your immigration policy tbh.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Mellor; 23-01-18, 09:57.

Comment

That figure must assume immigration policies don't change. I can see a shift from high volume low quality migration to merit based high quality low volume.
                                                                                                                  At what stage do we start 'exporting' the low merit Irish born?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    At what stage do we start 'exporting' the low merit Irish born?
                                                                                                                    Yeah, if anything I'd say educated person from abroad with the drive to move is worth more to the county than some average Joe that happened to be born here.

Comment

We like to operate a skilled posters list. Want to make people actually have something to contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post

Any poker ? Anyone you know still playing for a living ? Heading two Argentina in Akron two weeks only suggestions please ?

Comment

Bit like some of the rubbish u subject us to

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X