No announcement yet.

Clothes make the man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A mega day of shoe cleaning and rugby. Good times.

image.jpg
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

[ATTACH]1974[/ATTACH]
      Are you sure you're not a woman?

Comment

[ATTACH]1974[/ATTACH]

Comment

Any recommendations for reasonably priced office wear trousers. Nothing too formal like suit pants but not as casual as jeans. I usually wear either shirts or plain collared tshirts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Any recommendations for reasonably priced office wear trousers. Nothing too formal like suit pants but not as casual as jeans. I usually wear either shirts or plain collared tshirts.
            I find Gant good. M&S are good quality for the price provided you can avoid the old man gear and style it right.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Request thread title change to "clothes maketh the man". Think it would be more in tone with the haut monde nature of the thread.
              Profit before people.

Comment

GAP are great for this.

Comment

I recommend Gap or Dockers.

Comment

Worth looking at?

Thinking of treating myself to a grown up wardrobe.
                    Wearing what I want in work means I have no occasion or going out clothes
                    I've set aside about 2k to get a suit made and looking for shirt+ jacket type things for weddings etc
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The problem with that is I hate talking to the lads in these places.

Quite like the look of the Ted Baker stuff and the cut seems to fit me well. The lads in Louis Copeland's in dundrum actually made the shopping bearable and give me free alterations on my purchases
                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

A few t shirt ideas for the discerning gentleman out there

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                          When you find the right guys they make you comfortable andyou end up with better fits etc as you are getting what you need.

Comment

TylerD we've got our custom belt options at last!

I'll definitely be ordering one.....

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                              Worth looking at?

Thinking of treating myself to a grown up wardrobe.
                              Wearing what I want in work means I have no occasion or going out clothes
                              I've set aside about 2k to get a suit made and looking for shirt+ jacket type things for weddings etc
                              2k should get you 2 good off the peg suits (including alterations) a sports jacket and 3-5 shirts and some decent ties.

(Alternatively drop one suit and buy 2 good pairs of shoes for semi formal wear - brogues or monk shoes perhaps)

For the suits try Monza on Dawson street they do Italian stuff that wouldn't suit you, but they also do Berutti which is a German brand that is quality and I think would suit you nicely. Also hit James Herren.

Both places have very good service and aren't hard sell merchants like some of the others.

If you're buying a few bits expect a reasonable discount - just let the sales guy work a bit for the sale.

Comment

Didn't this used to be makeith?
                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

TylerD we've got our custom belt options at last!

I'll definitely be ordering one.....

I've been meaning to get a couple of new belts. The way that article began had me expecting a different price point! I don't think that's an extraordinary price, especially with how long a high quality product should last.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                    I've been meaning to get a couple of new belts. The way that article began had me expecting a different price point! I don't think that's an extraordinary price, especially with how long a high quality product should last.
                                    Exactly.

That particular website pride themselves on affordable luxury so they can often skimp to hit a certain price point hence that over focus on price in the article (the Day 3 article has a good recommendation as well). For the flip side of affordable luxury there is always Simon Crompton!!

I think I'll order a casual belt in brown and two formal belts in black and chestnut if I can...I'll probably go for a formal one first.....

Comment

Cheers V may give them a look.
                                      Tbh, I just don't want to get the usual black, grey, chintzy shit I've bought and discarded a dozen times.
                                      kinda why I was after something like

or

Comment

Cheers V may give them a look.
                                        Tbh, I just don't want to get the usual black, grey, chintzy shit I've bought and discarded a dozen times.
                                        kinda why I was after something like

or
                                        That's quite a statement!

Check out the collection, certainly a little tamer than above but definitely not bland.

Don't forget you can always "enliven" a jacket with a pocket square, or a strong shirt and tie combo, or even a sweater vest with a strong colour but you can't dampen a very strong jacket down too easily.

Comment

That's quite a statement!

Check out the collection, certainly a little tamer than above but definitely not bland.

Don't forget you can always "enliven" a jacket with a pocket square, or a strong shirt and tie combo, or even a sweater vest with a strong colour but you can't dampen a very strong jacket down too easily.
                                          Yeah, well I am new at this whole grown up thing
                                          I wanna get somewhere in the sphere of knowing what suits me when the wedding comes along.
                                          My mind kinda goes, too blue, too brown, too black, I'll look like a knob in that, too short for that, too fat for that, haven't the neck for a dickiebow, that's for old cunts I'm not that old, too boxy, I'm not wearing skinny slacks, fuck it jeans.

Comment

Buy a Canali, or two for that matter :-)

Can't go wrong!
                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                              Buy a Canali, or two for that matter :-)

Can't go wrong!
                                              Had a look in BT. Old cunts

Comment

Mad baxtards.
                                                I'll light this thread up when I scoop the euromillions tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                  Didn't this used to be makeith maketh?

Comment

Just on this. They had one suit that I liked, the cut and wear of them all was obviously top drawer, just seemed a bit samey if you know what I mean.
                                                    Had a nice one picked out but would have lost a lot of detailing on the sleeves due to alterations.
                                                    No point in my opinion, paying top shelf prices, when I'm losing elements of what makes them top shelf.

Comment

Canali make beautiful clothes - I am not sure where youneed the suits for but they would be OTT for work
                                                      for the moment, a mates wedding. The suits that were there seemed very formal, bar a deep blue one that looked ridiculous on me. I want something a bit lighter in style. Also, and this sounds fairly conceited, but I'd like something when I bring the missus to a nice restaurant/theater. I always feel consciously underdressed at places like that.

To be perfectly honest, I know nothing of this world. I know what I like and I know when something doesnt look well on me.
                                                      The move to check/box designs do not help. I tried on the ones imaged above and agree with your assessment in your earlier post
                                                      From my limited knowledge, I'm thinking herringbone instead of pinstripe.
                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 11-04-14, 20:51.

Comment

Wait wut?

Try some on, seriously. Go into louis copeland (any of them, but I like the capel street branch)

I love how a Canali looks when it's on, they are sharp and instantly recognizable as a beautiful suit imo and will make you stand out.

Which is precisely why I ended up buying two of them the other day when I was only really looking for one. It was a close run thing not to buy three, but that would have been obnoxious

Then again, maybe I'm just an old cunt

Comment

Agree with Iago on Canali - too high end for every day work for me though. As it happens I was in town this morning and bought two suits in Arnotts - 1 * Paul Costelloe and 1 * Baumler - they are both the same concession and the boss man in there, Dave, is great to deal with. e949 for two suits and three shirts.
                                                          Agree somewhat, but I think it depends on the work.

Right now I've just set up my own company offering business consultancy services, having a high end suit is a must. I'm pitching not just my knowledge but also my ability to represent their business.

For example, the work I'm doing for one of my clients is based around expanding their business into Europe. Some of that is utilizing my business network, some of it is based around my industry and product knowledge. However as the "face" of this client into international prospects it is also incumbent that I look the part as well as talk it

There is also the consideration that as a small business owner, I'm always representing my brand and myself, and as I'm dealing with C-level executives regularly enough it's important that I again look the part.

Of course, all of that could just be me rationalizing my desire to wear Canali suits and therefore justifying price tag

Comment

Agree somewhat, but I think it depends on the work.

Right now I've just set up my own company offering business consultancy services, having a high end suit is a must. I'm pitching not just my knowledge but also my ability to represent their business.

For example, the work I'm doing for one of my clients is based around expanding their business into Europe. Some of that is utilizing my business network, some of it is based around my industry and product knowledge. However as the "face" of this client into international prospects it is also incumbent that I look the part as well as talk it

There is also the consideration that as a small business owner, I'm always representing my brand and myself, and as I'm dealing with C-level executives regularly enough it's important that I again look the part.

Of course, all of that could just be me rationalizing my desire to wear Canali suits and therefore justifying price tag
                                                            As long as the accountant says you can write it off as a business expense it's all good.

Comment

As long as the accountant says you can write it off as a business expense it's all good.
                                                              That would help of course

Comment

With all the suit talk I am kind of curious where Calvin Klein stand on quality of suits. I picked up one very cheap that was marked down from 4 figures in Vegas the last time.

Just a brand name that is over priced or do they make decent suits? In fairness I cant go wrong for what I would have got for the same price here I imagine.
                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

When working as a consultant, if you are wearing a Canali suit I will think you are charging me too much. Next!!
                                                                  I'll bear that in mind when you call me in, and pick up something in TK Maxx the day beforehand.

Never let it be said that I don't play to my audience

Comment

What are the fashion collective's thoughts on sunglasses?

I usually buy Ray-bans in this kind of style but pointless buying fancy shades when you have small destructive individuals in your life (last couple of pairs smashed to pieces). Point me in the direction of inexpensive style please.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Louis Copeland suit purchased.
                                                                      Apparently, the folks in BT lied to me regarding the alterations.
                                                                      Much thanks to gab, Iago and v.
                                                                      Took snippets of all advice offered. Did internally balk at the 50 belt but will pull the trigger on that when I pick it up Wednesday.
                                                                      699 for suit and shirt

Comment

Happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I usually buy Ray-bans in this kind of style but pointless buying fancy shades when you have small destructive individuals in your life (last couple of pairs smashed to pieces). Point me in the direction of inexpensive style please.

I love Oakleys. They aren't everyones cup of tea, but I've never had a pair I didn't love. They then to be sportier rather than classic, but they have options across the range.

They're fairly reasonable too.

My preference is for the wrap around ones like the below

but you can also get them in a more classic style (similar to rayban aviator)

I'm not a massive Aviator fan myself, but they are nice sunglasses.
                                                                          Last edited by Iago; 15-04-14, 08:12.

Comment

I love Oakleys. They aren't everyones cup of tea, but I've never had a pair I didn't love. They then to be sportier rather than classic, but they have options across the range.
                                                                            Not convinced. They scream 'jock'. Looking for something that can be worn with a suit (so should you, judging by recent posts).

Comment

I

Not convinced. They scream 'jock'. Looking for something that can be worn with a suit (so should you, judging by recent posts).
                                                                              I have classic Ray bans similar to what you've already shown RDIII but I do also have a titanium rimmed pair of Ray bans which tend to take a bit more flinging about without screaming jock. Something quite like the one Iago posted above.

I'm not familiar with a cheaper disposal brand to recommend. You'd need to just hit a shop I reckon....

P.S. It's great having had the laser surgery and therefore being able to have the choice to buy a decent pair of glasses

Comment

You're not wrong, the first two are definitely more "sportswear" than anything else.

However the second two would lend themselves nicely to a suit imo, you could also go more squared in their range

Failing that V4V's titanium raybans might work, but like him I'm not overly familiar with sunglass branding.

Comment

Getting my gambool on with internet shopping for clothing items:

purchased some ray-bans from this site. Even money shot they are knockoffs imo but the delivery tracker says they were shipped from Italy so we are cantering clear heading to the last. Approx. 50% of Irish retail so probably worth a look if anyone is looking to purchase ahead of the summer.

Also purchased a pair of these from this site. Probably a bigger gamble buying footwear online (sizing, 1/20 shot they are genuine) but could not find these in Ireland at all.

Will report back on the success or otherwise. Probably stupid, if you are anything close to a normally-sized human, to be buying any form of clothing in B&M outlets.

Comment

Getting my gambool on with internet shopping for clothing items:

purchased some ray-bans from this site. Even money shot they are knockoffs imo but the delivery tracker says they were shipped from Italy so we are cantering clear heading to the last. Approx. 50% of Irish retail so probably worth a look if anyone is looking to purchase ahead of the summer.

Also purchased a pair of these from this site. Probably a bigger gamble buying footwear online (sizing, 1/20 shot they are genuine) but could not find these in Ireland at all.

Will report back on the success or otherwise. Probably stupid, if you are anything close to a normally-sized human, to be buying any form of clothing in B&M outlets.

Barker shoes are remarkably consistent size wise so they shouldn't be a gamble at all. Price wise those prices are no cheaper than Boylans btw and Tommy will order stuff in and give discounts to good customers so B&M isn't dead yet imo.

Very interested to hear how you get on with the glasses.

Comment

I don't think the sunglasses are that cheap. I am after a D&G pair and they are more expensive on that site than the ones I have looked at in a shop.
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Very interested to hear how you get on with the glasses.
                                                                                        Arrived promptly today, genuine gear.

€118.

€156 on sunglasses.ie or £135 on Amazon so happy enough

Comment

Arrived promptly today, genuine gear.

€118.

€156 on sunglasses.ie or £135 on Amazon so happy enough
                                                                                          This site looks good bit cheaper than most.
                                                                                          Perhaps silly question but what size? What would be the normal?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                            This site looks good bit cheaper than most.
                                                                                            Perhaps silly question but what size? What would be the normal?
                                                                                            63 although I have no idea what this refers to

Comment

did not go so well

ordered these:

received, eh, these:

fuck you Pediwear. Next report will be on the efficiency or otherwise of their after-sales service.

Comment

paging V4V
                                                                                                fuck off. they look like something he would wear too!

Comment

not shiny enough, and pick the sponge up off the floor.
                                                                                                  was clearly there for wiping up the kids yoghurt spillage

Comment

fuck you Pewdiwear. Next report will be on the efficiency or otherwise of their after-sales service.
                                                                                                    Update: fulsome apology by email. Send us back the wrong shoes, we will pay all cost plus £20 refund and shipping correct order today. Decent response imo

Comment

Update: fulsome apology by email. Send us back the wrong shoes, we will pay all cost plus £20 refund and shipping correct order today. Decent response imo
                                                                                                      Wouldn't have happened in Boylans!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Need a new suit for a wedding/other events. Budget isn't huge but would like a nice one. Best place to look in dublin? Most likely wont be able to get off the shelf as i'm awful awkward sizes i imagine. Is there a place with good deals or the ability to pay in installments?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by tglynn View Post
                                                                                                          Hi Guys,

Need a new suit for a wedding/other events. Budget isn't huge but would like a nice one. Best place to look in dublin? Most likely wont be able to get off the shelf as i'm awful awkward sizes i imagine. Is there a place with good deals or the ability to pay in installments?

Cheers!
                                                                                                          I don't know about that. Can you save up a bit and then maybe throw it on a credit card and pay it down that way??

My general middle of the road suit shop recommendations are earlier in this thread. If you were looking for something a bit cheaper maybe M&S or something decent on sale in Arnotts/Clearys.

As for the fit get the shoulders and the body right on the jacket. The arms can be shortened easily enough and the trousers for maybe 30-40 euro so just factor that in to your overall spend. You'll be surprised how wide the range of sizes are for mens suits in almost all shops it's not like buying a pair of fashionable jeans.

Comment

I don't know about that. Can you save up a bit and then maybe throw it on a credit card and pay it down that way??

My general middle of the road suit shop recommendations are earlier in this thread. If you were looking for something a bit cheaper maybe M&S or something decent on sale in Arnotts/Clearys.

As for the fit get the shoulders and the body right on the jacket. The arms can be shortened easily enough and the trousers for maybe 30-40 euro so just factor that in to your overall spend. You'll be surprised how wide the range of sizes are for mens suits in almost all shops it's not like buying a pair of fashionable jeans.
                                                                                                            Tglynn just finished college. Who would trust a recent graduate with a credit card
                                                                                                            Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
                                                                                                              Tglynn just finished college. Who would trust a recent graduate with a credit card
                                                                                                              Jaysus I remember having a credit card shoved on me with a £1500 limit when I started working, subsequently followed by annual unrequested limit increases. Times have changed....

As for the ability to pay in installments I just don't see this being a runner. Time to tap up the bank of Mam and Dad if you can and then pay them back.

Comment

What is the difference between a regular black suit and a tuxedo? Obviously showing my ignorance here, probably only worn a tux once in my life and that was years ago. Am going to a black tie wedding next month and need to either find one to hire or buy a cheap but serviceable suit to do the job! Don't see too many tux events in my future but you never know, so wouldn't be opposed to owning something suitable.

Comment

A tux has larger lapels and a stripe down the side of the trousers, both made from satin/silk. They are noticeably different (not sure how much attention people pay to black tie dress codes these days though). I think renting is about 1/3 maybe 1/2 of the purchase price, so would definitely push towards buying it if you're going down the tux road.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 04-07-14, 16:33.

Comment

Any opinions on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Samoasim
                                                                                                                      If you're a good looking guy that's great! It's all in the way you carry yourself. Start becoming confident in yourself and let people see the good qualities you have. Be yourself and you'll be in good shape. http://www.flatsevenshop.com/
                                                                                                                      Don't order from these guys ever.

Comment

did not go so well

ordered these:

received, eh, these:

fuck you Pediwear. Next report will be on the efficiency or otherwise of their after-sales service.

Never put shoes on a table! why is there a scourer on the floor?
                                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

why buy when you can rent?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X