165 x 3
    190 x 3
    215 x 4
    227.5 x 5 *PB*
    227.5 × 4,4,3

Duration: 4 hours 15mins

Running total: 96 hours 45 mins
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell on earth. I've officially hit the wall.

That should've been 227.5kg for 4 sets of 5. Smolov has gotten the better of me. I went to breathe after the 4th rep on the second work set and no air came in. Knew I was a goner at that point. Ditto for the other sets.

Disgusted with myself as this program has taken over my life since September 1st. I've been shaking and nauseous after the last couple of workouts so I knew I wasn't far off my limit but sometimes I believe I can squat anything.

Being honest I found it hard getting anywhere near 8 hours sleep on the program except for the weekends. Just not possible when you get home from gym at 10pm and you're up at 6am. Perhaps the main difference between the first and second time I've run Smolov.

Next step is self preservation by backing off. 2 weeks of the program left so lowering the weight I'm working off by ~7.5kg is probably best. As I said after the last workout, my back isn't in great shape either so have to take longevity into account here. It did hold up ok during the workout but I'm really paying for it now on that side of my body.

That's the most downhearted post you're ever going to see after a 17.5kg 5 rep PB

Fingers crossed I can still deliver a good one rep PB before Christmas.
    Last edited by Lurker23; 25-11-14, 22:10.

Comment

Missing reps once in 27 work out, under this intensity is completely normal. It’s not going to affect the final 1RM results. Especially considering you made the 5 reps in set 1.
      You’ve 6 workout left, it’s probably gonna be the mentally toughest two weeks of your training to date. But I also know how much of a sicko you are for squats. But regardless of the next two weeks, you’ll PB on the test day.

At this point, there’s virtually no more load increases. The final work sets are made up of 5’s @ 227.5kg, and triples @ 240kg*. You’ve hit both of these this week. That must give you lots of confidence.
      The next workout will be the toughest, imo. Repeating the above 227.5kg x 5, but as I said above it’s within your 1RM capacity.

Eat. Sleep. Recover. Lots of it.
      Get a remedial massage, your back is probably full of knots.
      Seriously eat everything, this means chocolate cake (we both know cake is your favourite part of powerlifting).
      Nose tork?
      Approach the next few days recover with the intention of owning 227.5kg x 5 up next. Decide on the day how your recovery went and reduce load if required. I think that’s the best approach mentally.
      The final week is almost a repeat of the 2nd last. So, if you reduce by 5kg, and make the sets. The potential is there to return to 252.5kg for the finish. IMO, doing that would be no different than maintaining 252.5 right through.
      *last set, last workout is 4’s @ 240kg.

Comment

Thanks Mellor. Appreciate the input.

Officially fully done with Smolov. Gave myself a couple of extra days recovery and ate lots. I went down yesterday and felt pants under the bar. Pushed up to a horrible 240 x 2 and then did a small bit of volume with 180 x 10.

Everything was painstakingly difficult. My hip and back are bordering on breaking down. I'd say I was at 80% power yesterday, particularly in my hip. It hurt to hit depth and the drive out of the hole wasn't there.

I'm going to rest up this week and max out next Saturday.

Comment

Insane workload and show the effort needed to be elite in your sport.

Do you ever worry about getting broken literally from all the workload?
          With injurys and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
            Insane workload and show the effort needed to be elite in your sport.

Do you ever worry about getting broken literally from all the workload?
            With injurys and such.
            I like not to think about it haha but yeah it has crossed my mind. Much moreso in the past few weeks than ever before.

The way I look at it is you're going to be sore from lifting heavy stuff especially with that volume. I knew what I signed up for 3 months ago when I said I'd do it. However, when it gets to the point that it's affecting what you can do outside of the gym then you have to reevaluate. When you're spending most of the weekends in bed outside of gym time and most of the weekdays just in the gym + work it starts to take its toll. You need some downtime somewhere.

Saying that, I could handle all the above for another two weeks to finish the program but I know the difference between soreness and injury. It felt different after Tuesday's workout. I wasn't walking properly and standing up straight was an issue for the next three days. I'm essentially on the injury tightrope atm and the risk reward payoff over the next two weeks isn't worth it. Might as well bank my PB next week and live to fight another day even though it kills me to do it. We've all got to be sensible at some stage in our lives!

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker23 View Post
              I like not to think about it haha but yeah it has crossed my mind. Much moreso in the past few weeks than ever before.

The way I look at it is you're going to be sore from lifting heavy stuff especially with that volume. I knew what I signed up for 3 months ago when I said I'd do it. However, when it gets to the point that it's affecting what you can do outside of the gym then you have to reevaluate. When you're spending most of the weekends in bed outside of gym time and most of the weekdays just in the gym + work it starts to take its toll. You need some downtime somewhere.

Saying that, I could handle all the above for another two weeks to finish the program but I know the difference between soreness and injury. It felt different after Tuesday's workout. I wasn't walking properly and standing up straight was an issue for the next three days. I'm essentially on the injury tightrope atm and the risk reward payoff over the next two weeks isn't worth it. Might as well bank my PB next week and live to fight another day even though it kills me to do it. We've all got to be sensible at some stage in our lives!
              I used train with my rugby club pre season strength and conditioning.
              8 weeks in we had a leg night enough squats and weighted lunges etc for a lifetime for me.
              Went heavier then i ever did squatting as well crippled the next day.
              Next session trainer asks how we felt the next day i replied being honest id a strange feeling from my knees to my chest like id been fucked by a horse.

His fiancee was behind me

Comment

Good decision I think. You got some huge rep PBs out of it so it has been successful and worthwhile. Remember, when injured your strength resolves to zero.
                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Went down today and failed on my last warm up on 260. Gutted but that's what happens when a program gets blown out of the water.

I'm usually very methodical with my programming and reap the rewards. I'll have a think about it and write what I've learned another day.

Comment

Tuesday 16th December
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barbell Bench Press
                    40 x 5
                    60 x 5
                    80 x 5
                    100 x 5,5,5
                    80 x 5 <all paused>

Seated Incline Dumbell Bench Press
                    20 x 8
                    26 x 6
                    32 x 6
                    36 x 6,5

Chest Flye Machine
                    60 x 10,10,10
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was sick all last week after my max squat attempt session. That might have had something to do with the 260 fail. I hope so anyway!

Did the above last Tuesday to see if I could remember how to bench. Sloppy as you'd expect as I haven't benched since September. Happy enough.

Comment

Saturday 20th December

Low Bar Squat
                      60 x 5
                      100 x 5
                      140 x 3
                      <belt on>
                      160 x 3
                      180 x 3
                      200 x 3
                      220 x 3

Deadlift
                      60 x 5
                      100 x 5
                      120 x 3
                      140 x 3
                      <belt on>
                      160 x 2
                      180 x 1
                      200 x 1

Met some of the IPB lads last Saturday for a couple of hours in my gym. Good fun had by all and some really impressive lifting to boot.

Comment

Sunday 21st December

Barbell Bench Press
                        40 x 5
                        60 x 5
                        80 x 5
                        92.5 x 5
                        102.5 x 5,5,5
                        82.5 x 5 <all paused>

Seated Incline Dumbell Bench Press
                        20 x 8
                        26 x 6
                        32 x 6
                        34 x 6

Chest Flye Machine
                        45 x 10
                        55 x 10,10

+ a couple of tricep exercises

+ small bit of abs

Second bench session of the week.

Triceps are the first thing to go atm due to not training them for quite a while. Hopefully I'll get them up to speed shortly.

Comment

Just a quick update.

I've been doing a 6 week Russian squat routine since the turn of the year trying to get my squat in competition shape for the end of February. I've been throwing the odd bench and back session in after the light days.

I've been using a max of 250. I was finding the program fine but last Saturday I found it hard to hit depth without pain and my right hip was in a great deal of pain after the set. It seems to be in my hip flexor just as I come out of the hole. It took away some of my power and made 200kg for 6 sets of 5 much more difficult than it should have been.

I'm going to try the 200kg 6x6 day on Saturday. Fingers crossed I'm ok for the comp. First time I've ever had pain when performing the squat move itself. Not good timing.

Program

Comment

Shit man, hopefully it's nothing major
                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Saturday 24th January

Low Bar Squat
                              60 x 5
                              100 x 4
                              140 x 3
                              <belt on>
                              160 x 2
                              180 x 1
                              200 x 6 x 6

A very good training day. Really deep reps that flew up.

My hip caused me some mild discomfort but felt much better than last week. Confidence on the rise.

Comment

Tuesday 27th January
                                Low Bar Squat
                                60 x 5
                                100 x 4
                                140 x 3
                                <belt on>
                                160 x 2
                                180 x 1
                                200 x 2,2,2,2,2,2

That was ok. It's a recovery session but I'm trying to decide whether to skip these and rest up my hip instead. I'll make a decision by the end of the week.

Comment

My hips aren't healing in time to fit in the recovery workouts of 200 for 6 sets of 2. Decision made to scrap them and focus on foam rolling and stretching instead.

That leaves me with 212.5 5x5, 225 4x4, 237.5 3x3 and 250 2x2 to do by Saturday 14th Feb - a week before the comp. I'll take down 212.5 5x5 this Saturday.

Comment

Saturday 31st January
                                    Low Bar Squat
                                    60 x 5
                                    100 x 4
                                    140 x 3
                                    <belt on>
                                    160 x 2
                                    180 x 1
                                    200 x 1
                                    212.5 x 5,5,5,5,5

Difficult towards the end but got through it ok.

Really looking forward to getting under the bar at the comp now. Feel like I'm ready to roll.

Weight is a smidge under 100kg so just need to maintain it there for the next few weeks.

Comment

Saturday 7th February
                                      Low Bar Squat
                                      60 x 5
                                      100 x 4
                                      140 x 3
                                      <belt on>
                                      160 x 3
                                      180 x 2
                                      200 x 1
                                      212.5 x 1
                                      225 x 4
                                      237.5 x 3

Meshed the 225 4x4 and 237.5 3x3 into one workout with a single set on each due to the fact my hips are still recovering. Being sensible for once.

Felt strong on the 225. Screamed up the last rep on 237.5. Happy with how that went. Weighed in at 218.6lbs this morning so all good on that front too.

Going to Morton to do 250 2x2 next Saturday and then full steam ahead to the comp the week after.

Comment

Where's the comp on?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                          Where's the comp on?
                                          It's on in the Cork Institute of Technology.

The good news is the weigh-in is at 7am and I'm not due to lift until 2.30pm. Plenty of eating time

Comment

It's on in the Cork Institute of Technology.

The good news is the weigh-in is at 7am and I'm not due to lift until 2.30pm. Plenty of eating time
                                            Is this your first time making weight? I wouldn't try to get too fancy with it.

And generally like your approach the past couple of weeks. You don't need to take risks. Plenty of strength there already and better to go in and squat 260 than push too hard chasing 272.5 and leave yourself injured and unable to partake on the day.

Comment

Is this your first time making weight? I wouldn't try to get too fancy with it.

And generally like your approach the past couple of weeks. You don't need to take risks. Plenty of strength there already and better to go in and squat 260 than push too hard chasing 272.5 and leave yourself injured and unable to partake on the day.
                                              Yep first time. Not going to do anything crazy alright. I'm where I want to be weight wise. Just pointing out there's plenty of time between the weigh-in and stepping onto the platform so I'll probably be 102ish by the time my flight is up which will be a big help.

Being honest I'm not even thinking about squatting 272.5. Plan is to get two good lifts in. Something like 230/250/undecided. Possibly even 230/255/undecided. I do think it's important to have good day and bad day numbers in mind so to speak (depending on how I feel in the warm ups). I don't want to make emotional decisions on the day if you get me.

Comment

Sounds like you have this in hand. Best of luck with the last couple of weeks prep.

Comment

Saturday 14th February
                                                  Low Bar Squat
                                                  60 x 5
                                                  100 x 4
                                                  140 x 3
                                                  <belt on>
                                                  160 x 3
                                                  180 x 1
                                                  200 x 1
                                                  220 x 1,1

Hmmm. Where to start. Worst I've felt in a training session in quite some time.

I went down to Morton and the track and indoor track were getting used for children's comps so it was jammed. However, the gym itself was empty.

One problem - the rack I was using was facing a window and I had kids and adults staring me out of it through the glass less than a foot away from where I was standing when i was squatting. It definitely freaked me out rightly or wrongly. I can understand the kids doing it but grown adults should have more common sense than to stand there gawping at you in your personal space.

I also had an argument with some prick of a coach who wanted to leave the emergency exit door open because the gym was smelly when it was fucking freezing outside.

Anyhow, got under the 220 and it felt like 250. A really slow grinding rep. No point going any higher. Did it again and again it felt like shit.

Who knows what will happen next week. With different equipment and rules than I'm used to I don't expect to go lights out now. It really hit me today.

I've put in so much hard work and all I can do is my best on the day. Going to open at 220 I think and go from there. I need to learn to cope with setbacks like today much better than I currently do. Confidence is a fragile thing!

Comment

Sounds like an awful setting for singles sessions. Ignore and move on.

As for making weight, absolute non issue for you now. No cutting required at all really.
                                                    7am weigh-in makes it a doddle, you'll wake-up a little dry, go to the bathroom and you'll be c.99kg. drink, eat, carb-up for 6 hours and 102kg sounds about right.

Comment

Weighed in at 98.7kg. All good. Time to refuel and have a nap.

The competition is being streamed at http://www.idfpa.net for those that want to watch. My flight starts at 2.30pm.

Feeling strong. Let's do this!

Comment

Best of luck man take it down.

Comment

Just finished 30 mins ago. Was 3 hours late starting. Squatted 220kg on my opener and failed 235 twice after that. Meh.

Knackered by the time it started. Think I came 3rd. Learning experience. The platform is a WHOLE different ballgame to the gym!

I'll post something in depth when I've had time to reflect.

Comment

Just finished 30 mins ago. Was 3 hours late starting. Squatted 220kg on my opener and failed 235 twice after that. Meh.

Knackered by the time it started. Think I came 3rd. Learning experience. The platform is a WHOLE different ballgame to the gym!

I'll post something in depth when I've had time to reflect.
                                                            Sorry to hear that mate. The experience will stand to you if you compete again though.

Comment

Sorry to hear that mate. The experience will stand to you if you compete again though.
                                                              Cheers buddy. Yep will definitely compete again.

Think I qualified for the Worlds and Europeans so will probably go to one of them!

Comment

Friday 27th February
                                                                Beltless Conventional Deadlift
                                                                70 x 5
                                                                90 x 5
                                                                110 x 5
                                                                130 x 5

Barbell Bent Over Row
                                                                60 x 8
                                                                65 x 8,8,8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                20 x 8
                                                                24 x 8
                                                                28 x 8,8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                34 x 10,10,10

Seated Close Grip Cable Pull Downs
                                                                55 x 8
                                                                46 x 8,8

Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
                                                                20 x 6
                                                                26 x 6
                                                                30 x 6
                                                                34 x 6,6

Nothing earth shattering. Hitting some neglected areas.

Comment

Saturday 28th February

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                  40 x 5
                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                  80 x 5
                                                                  100 x 5,5,5
                                                                  80 x 8 <all paused>

Seated Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
                                                                  20 x 8
                                                                  26 x 6
                                                                  32 x 6
                                                                  36 x 6

Chest Flye Machine
                                                                  55 x 10,10,10

More neglected body parts!

Comment

Sunday 1st March

Front Squat
                                                                    40 x 3
                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                    80 x meh

Lying Leg Curl
                                                                    10 x 8,8,8

Leg Extension
                                                                    55 x 20,20,20,20,20,15,15

+ some hip adductor machine fun
                                                                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upper back was too sore to hold the front squat position properly so went for a pump in the legs instead.

Hips still very tight from last week. Foam rolling required.

Comment

Signed up for the below seminar yesterday. To say I'm very excited is an understatement!

Strength and Movement Clinic in Dublin, Ireland

Improve your strength, technique, programming and movement with this special Juggernaut event coached by Chad Wesley Smith, Brandon Lilly and Dr. Quinn Henoch.*

This 1 day event will cover...

-Effective warmup strategies

-Breathing and bracing for maximum performance and health

-Technique and special exercise selection for the squat, bench and deadlift

-Program design for raw powerlifting and speed/power sport performance

-Mindset for maximum performance in training and competition

Chad Wesley Smith is the owner/founder of Juggernaut Training Systems and an accomplished competitor and coach for powerlifting, strongman and sport performance. Owner of the 10th highest raw powerlifting total of all-time at 1050kg/2314#, professional strongman status and a 20m shot putter, Chad brings a wealth of diverse experience to help you reach your goals.*

Brandon Lilly is an accomplished lifter raw and in gear, as well as being a master motivator. The author of The Cube Method, Brandon has a top 20 all-time raw powerlifting total at 1012.5kg/2237# and a 600# raw bench press.*

Dr. Quinn Henoch is a Doctor of Physical Therapy and national level weightlifter. Specializing in movement assessment, Dr. Henoch has helped athletes across all sports improve their movement quality, performance and health.*

When: Sunday, April 26th from 9am-5pm

Where: Elite Fitness and Performance Academy, Unit 5, Brookfield Terrace, Blackrock Co, Dublin

How Much: $199.99 USD for a limited number of early registrants, $249.99 after that.

Comment

Thursday 5th March
                                                                        70 x 5
                                                                        90 x 5
                                                                        110 x 5
                                                                        135 x 5,5,5

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                        67.5 x 8,8,8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                        25 x 8
                                                                        30 x 8
                                                                        36 x 8
                                                                        34 x 8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                        34 x 10,10,10

20 x 6
                                                                        26 x 6
                                                                        30 x 6,6,5

These workouts aren't easy. My back needs a lot of work.

Comment

Friday 6th March

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                          80 x 5
                                                                          90 x 3
                                                                          102.5 x 5,5,5
                                                                          82.5 x 8 <all paused>

Seated Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
                                                                          26 x 6
                                                                          30 x 6
                                                                          34 x 6
                                                                          40 x 6
                                                                          44 x bleh
                                                                          40 x 6

Chest Flye Machine
                                                                          55 x 10,10,10

Comment

Saturday 7th March

Low Bar Squat
                                                                            60 x 4
                                                                            80 x 3
                                                                            100 x 4
                                                                            120 x 4

Had to stop there. My left hip is in a lot pain when I come out of the hole when squatting.

Comment

Tuesday 17th March

60 x 5
                                                                              90 x 5
                                                                              110 x 5
                                                                              130 x 5
                                                                              140 x 5,5,5

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                              Bar x 5
                                                                              60 x 5
                                                                              80 x 5
                                                                              100 x 5,5,5

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                              20 x 8
                                                                              27.5 x 8
                                                                              37.5 x 8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                              50 x 10,10,10

Went down to Morton this morning. Quick session to get the blood pumping again.

Deadlifts felt great with the Eleiko bar. I'll try light squatting at the weekend and if no joy it's time for a physio visit.

Comment

Saturday 21st March
                                                                                Low Bar Squat
                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                80 x 5
                                                                                100 x 5
                                                                                120 x 3
                                                                                140 x 3
                                                                                *belt on*
                                                                                160 x 3
                                                                                180 x 3
                                                                                200 x 3
                                                                                220 x 1

Safety Squat Bar
                                                                                60 x 5

Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                Bar x 5
                                                                                40 x 5
                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                80 x 5
                                                                                90 x 5
                                                                                102.5 x 5,5,5
                                                                                82.5 x 8 <all paused>

Prowler Sled Pushes
                                                                                80kg x 10m x 4
                                                                                100kg x 10m x 2,2

Chanced a gym in coolock industrial estate. Good decision. I got to try out a good few new toys

Delighted to get under a moderately heavy squat again. My hip felt tight but no pain whatsoever which is a relief.

A good day all in all

Comment

Sunday 22nd March
                                                                                  Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
                                                                                  18 x 8
                                                                                  26 x 6
                                                                                  30 x 6
                                                                                  36 x 6
                                                                                  40 x 6
                                                                                  44 x 6
                                                                                  48 x 3

Machine Chest Flyes
                                                                                  55 x 10
                                                                                  65 x 10
                                                                                  75 x 10
                                                                                  85 x 10

Leg Curls
                                                                                  5 x 8
                                                                                  10 x 8,8

Dumbbell Shrugs
                                                                                  44 x 8,8,8

Leg Extension
                                                                                  145 x 10
                                                                                  135 x 10
                                                                                  125 x 10
                                                                                  115 x 10
                                                                                  105 x 10
                                                                                  95 x 10
                                                                                  85 x 10
                                                                                  75 x 10
                                                                                  65 x 10
                                                                                  55 x 10
                                                                                  45 x 10
                                                                                  35 x 10
                                                                                  25 x 10
                                                                                  15 x 10
                                                                                  5 x 10

Comment

Friday 27th March
                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                    90 x 5
                                                                                    120 x 5
                                                                                    145 x 5,5,5

Iso Seated Row
                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                    100 x 5,5,5

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                                    20 x 8
                                                                                    27.5 x 8
                                                                                    35 x 8,8

Seated Close Grip Cable Row
                                                                                    50 x 8,8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                                    25 x 10,10,10

Some eejit broke the only decent oly bar in Ballymun so I've joined that gym in Coolock for the next month.

Spent my time getting used to the different setup. Has most of the stuff I need so we'll see how I get on.

It's very convenient for me so that's a big plus.

Comment

Saturday 28th March
                                                                                      Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                      Bar x 5
                                                                                      40 x 5
                                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                                      80 x 5
                                                                                      90 x 3
                                                                                      105 x 5,5,5
                                                                                      85 x 8 <all paused>

20 x 8
                                                                                      27.5 x 6
                                                                                      30 x 6
                                                                                      35 x 6
                                                                                      40 x 6
                                                                                      45 x 5

Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                      15 x 8
                                                                                      20 x 8,8

Grand job.

Comment

Sunday 29th March
                                                                                        Low Bar Squat
                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                        80 x 5
                                                                                        100 x 5
                                                                                        120 x 3
                                                                                        <belt on>
                                                                                        140 x 3
                                                                                        160 x 5,5,5

Leg Curls
                                                                                        Pin 5 x 8
                                                                                        Pin 6 x 8
                                                                                        Pin 7 x 8

Leg Extension
                                                                                        Pin 12 x 10
                                                                                        Pin 15 x 10
                                                                                        Pin 18 x 10
                                                                                        Stack x 16,15,15

Squats felt rotten today.

I wanted to do some SSB but gave it a miss as low on energy. In and out job.

Comment

Tuesday 31st March
                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                          90 x 5
                                                                                          120 x 5
                                                                                          140 x 2
                                                                                          150 x 5,5,5

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                          60 x 8
                                                                                          70 x 8,8,8

Close Grip Iso Seated Row
                                                                                          60 x 8
                                                                                          100 x 8
                                                                                          120 x 8
                                                                                          110 x 8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                                          27.5 x 8
                                                                                          35 x 8,8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                                          25 x 8
                                                                                          35 x 8
                                                                                          30 x 8

Operation build a back continues.

Comment

Friday 3rd April
                                                                                            Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                                            80 x 5
                                                                                            90 x 3
                                                                                            100 x 2
                                                                                            110 x 5,5,4
                                                                                            90 x 6 <all paused>
                                                                                            80 x 8 <all paused>

22.5 x 6
                                                                                            30 x 6
                                                                                            35 x 6
                                                                                            40 x 6

Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                            12.5 x 8
                                                                                            17.5 x 8,8

Wanted to do 107.5 but not enough small discs in the gym to do that so went to 110. Annoying.

Comment

Saturday 4th April
                                                                                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                              15 x 8
                                                                                              20 x 6
                                                                                              25 x 6
                                                                                              30 x 6
                                                                                              35 x 6
                                                                                              40 x 6 *PB*

Military Press
                                                                                              Bar x 5
                                                                                              40 x 5
                                                                                              60 x 5,4
                                                                                              40 x 5

Trap Bar Shrugs
                                                                                              Bar + 80 x 8
                                                                                              Bar + 100 x 8
                                                                                              Bar + 140 x 8
                                                                                              Bar + 160 x 8
                                                                                              Bar + 80 x 8

Dumbbell Lateral Raise
                                                                                              12.5 x 8,8,8

Dumbbell Front Raise
                                                                                              10 x 8,8,8

Pretty sure that's the most I've ever shoulder pressed with dumbbells. Felt good.

Totally smoked on the military press though!

Comment

Sunday 5th April
                                                                                                Low Bar Squat
                                                                                                60 x 5
                                                                                                80 x 5
                                                                                                100 x 5
                                                                                                120 x 3
                                                                                                <belt on>
                                                                                                140 x 3
                                                                                                160 x 2
                                                                                                180 x 1
                                                                                                160 x 2

Biceps x a million

Bah. My hip is still really bad. Needs a lot of rest. I was getting twisted at the bottom of the squat due to the weakness on the left hand side. Not good.

Did a ton of biceps instead.

Comment

Monday 6th April
                                                                                                  60 x 5
                                                                                                  100 x 5
                                                                                                  120 x 3
                                                                                                  140 x 2
                                                                                                  155 x 5,5,5

Bent Over Barbell Row
                                                                                                  60 x 8,8,8

Close Grip Iso Seated Row
                                                                                                  40 x 8
                                                                                                  80 x 8
                                                                                                  110 x 8,8,8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                                                  22.5 x 8
                                                                                                  27.5 x 8
                                                                                                  37.5 x 8,8,8

Cable Face Pulls
                                                                                                  35 x 8,8,8

Prowler Sled Pushes
                                                                                                  100kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m x 2
                                                                                                  110kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m

More back and a bit of fun with the prowler. 60m in total without a break in each set. Only 10m to work with so it involved hopping over from high handle to low handle for the change in direction instead of turning it around.

Comment

Thursday 9th April
                                                                                                    Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                    40 x 5
                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                    80 x 5
                                                                                                    90 x 3
                                                                                                    100 x 2
                                                                                                    110 x 5,5,5
                                                                                                    90 x 6 <all paused>

22.5 x 6
                                                                                                    30 x 6
                                                                                                    35 x 6
                                                                                                    40 x 6
                                                                                                    45 x 6

Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                                    15 x 8,8,8,8

Got the 110 for the full compliment of reps this time. Third set was the strongest.

Also got my invite to the world squat championships in Telford in June. Have a week to decide whether I can compete. 99% sure I'll rest up the hip and give it a miss. It's on in 9 weeks time and I doubt I can compete to anywhere near what I'm capable of. The most sensible thing to do is to focus on bringing up the bench and deadlift and give the European squat championships a spin in September.

Comment

Saturday 11th April
                                                                                                      60 x 5
                                                                                                      100 x 5
                                                                                                      120 x 3
                                                                                                      140 x 2
                                                                                                      160 x 5,5,5

Wide Grip Pull Ups
                                                                                                      BW x 5
                                                                                                      BW + 5kg x 4

Close Grip Pull Ups
                                                                                                      BW + 5kg x 4

Wide Grip Iso Seated Row
                                                                                                      40 x 8
                                                                                                      80 x 8
                                                                                                      100 x 8,8,8

Inverted Row
                                                                                                      BW x 8,6,6

Standing Cable Crunch
                                                                                                      35 x 8
                                                                                                      45 x 8
                                                                                                      50 x 6

Prowler Sled Pushes
                                                                                                      105kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m x 2
                                                                                                      115kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m

Decided to do back again this week. No harm working on your weak points.

Deads getting a bit harder now. Might introduce a belt from 170 onwards. Third set felt the strongest.

The pull up handles are absolutely brutal. Both the wide and close grip hurt my shoulders so back to the drawing board there.

Lungs were burning after the prowler. Felt a bit queasy but managed to avoid falling victim to prowler flu

Comment

Thursday 15th April
                                                                                                        Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                        40 x 5
                                                                                                        60 x 5
                                                                                                        80 x 4
                                                                                                        90 x 3
                                                                                                        100 x 2
                                                                                                        112.5 x 5,5,5
                                                                                                        90 x 6 <all paused>

20 x 6
                                                                                                        30 x 6
                                                                                                        40 x 6
                                                                                                        50 x 4

Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                                        15 x 8,8,8

Felt like a beast today. The bar flew up off my chest. I was really focused too.

Nice to get the 50s on the incline even if only for 4 reps.

Comment

Sunday 19th April
                                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                                          100 x 5
                                                                                                          130 x 3
                                                                                                          150 x 3
                                                                                                          165 x 5,5,5

Wide Grip Iso Seated Row
                                                                                                          40 x 8
                                                                                                          80 x 8
                                                                                                          100 x 8
                                                                                                          110 x 8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                                                          25 x 8
                                                                                                          35 x 8
                                                                                                          37.5 x 8
                                                                                                          40 x 8

Face Pulls
                                                                                                          30 x 8
                                                                                                          35 x 8
                                                                                                          40 x 8

Prowler Sled Pushes
                                                                                                          105kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m
                                                                                                          110kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m
                                                                                                          120kg x 10m high handle + 10m low handle x 3 = 60m

Grand job.

Confirmed I'm not going to world champs for the squats so I can keep focusing on my other lifts.

Signed up for an Ed Coan seminar in July too. Excitement levels through the roof

Comment

Monday 20th April
                                                                                                            Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                            40 x 5
                                                                                                            60 x 5
                                                                                                            80 x 4
                                                                                                            100 x 2
                                                                                                            110 x 1
                                                                                                            115 x 5,5,4
                                                                                                            90 x 6 <all paused>

20 x 6
                                                                                                            30 x 6
                                                                                                            40 x 6
                                                                                                            50 x 4

Incline Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                                            17.5 x 8,8,8

I probably could have got 115 for 5 on the last set but it would've been a grinder and I didn't have a spot so left it at that. Lack of smaller weights around the place made my warm up sets look a bit funny numbers wise.

Nice to get the 50s for 4 again. It was a bit easier this week.

I'm getting my training out of the way early this week as I've got the Juggernaut seminar on Sunday. I haven't squatted properly in 3-4 weeks now and my hip feels a bit better. Might as well do the seminar before attempting to squat again.

Comment

s
                                                                                                              I'm getting my training out of the way early this week as I've got the Juggernaut seminar on Sunday. I haven't squatted properly in 3-4 weeks now and my hip feels a bit better. Might as well do the seminar before attempting to squat again.
                                                                                                              Read a bit about one of their seminars last year. Sounds top quality. The tiny suggestions and tweeks they produce can make massive difference by the sounds of things.
                                                                                                              Signed up for an Ed Coan seminar in July too. Excitement levels through the roof
                                                                                                              You are just spoiling yourself now
                                                                                                              Guessing this is the seminar in RevFit?

Comment

Yep in RevFit.

I'm really looking forward to getting some coached by some of the best powerlifters in the world. Can only lead to good things.

Comment

Bah. Juggernaut seminar cancelled. The lads had issues with Northern Ireland border control yesterday and had to fly back to New York.

I was looking forward to it for quite some time. Ah well nothing I can do about it. Train tomorrow so.

Comment

Sunday 26th April
                                                                                                                    60 x 5
                                                                                                                    100 x 5
                                                                                                                    120 x 3
                                                                                                                    140 x 3
                                                                                                                    <belt on>
                                                                                                                    160 x 2
                                                                                                                    170 x 5,5,5

Wide Grip Iso Seated Row
                                                                                                                    70 x 8
                                                                                                                    110 x 8
                                                                                                                    140 x 8

One Arm Dumbbell Row
                                                                                                                    25 x 8
                                                                                                                    32.5 x 8
                                                                                                                    37.5 x 8
                                                                                                                    45 x 6

Face Pulls
                                                                                                                    30 x 8
                                                                                                                    35 x 8
                                                                                                                    45 x 8

Reintroduced the belt. Couldn't get comfortable. It'll take some time to get used to again.

Comment

Think I'm going to give full Smolov a shot for my squat. Quick question: what did you do during the switching phase? There doesn't seem to be hard and fast guidance for that two week period other than it to be light.

Comment

Good man

Quoting this from earlier in in my log:

Switching

If you survived the first 6 weeks of Smolov, your probably now have legs that look like tree trunks. Great job. But we’re not home yet.

The switching phase is a period of rest. You will not be performing a set/rep pattern. Instead, Smolov recommends that you perform…various jumps and hops, deep squat jumps with a light barbell, moderate weight leg presses, squats with explosive thrust from the sticking point, etc. Perform all lifts and exercises in the switching phase with maximal explosion.

Smolov also recommends performing negative squats twice a week during this phase. Do NOT perform these explosively.

The switching phase is all about speed.
                                                                                                                        I did stuff like box squats, negative squats with 105ish% of your max, power cleans, box jumps, speed leg presses. Stuff like that. I got bored and ended the switching phase after a week.

Have a good read of smolov on the stronglifts website. It has a good spreadsheet too including the switching phase iirc.

On top of what they say, I'd recommend knee sleeves and tons of tiger balm or similar.

Comment

Friday 1st May
                                                                                                                          Barbell Bench Press
                                                                                                                          Bar x 5
                                                                                                                          40 x 5
                                                                                                                          60 x 5
                                                                                                                          80 x 3
                                                                                                                          195 x 2
                                                                                                                          105 x 1
                                                                                                                          115 x 5,5,5
                                                                                                                          90 x 6 <all paused>

25 x 6
                                                                                                                          35 x 6
                                                                                                                          45 x 6
                                                                                                                          50 x 3

Incline Dumbbell Chest Flyes
                                                                                                                          17.5 x 8,8,8

Got the 115 for the prescribed reps this time. Forgot my wrist wraps. You can really feel the difference without them.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X