Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    Did another lentil dish this evening, savage.

This notice period is being used most productively.

SPOILER
    Definitely one of our staple winter dishes in the Shrap household. Yum

Comment

Ronnie Whelan should never be allowed commentate on a Utd game. He's shit full stop but his anti Utd bias makes him even worse, he's the nut cunt commentator.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
        Ronnie Whelan should never be allowed commentate on a Utd game. He's shit full stop but his anti Utd bias makes him even worse, he's the nut cunt commentator.

Funny that. Liverpool fans hate him commentating on our games too as he is so negative there too. I think it is just him rather than any bias. He was a utd fan when he was a kid, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
          He is right utd are crap

Comment

Should have brought Lingard or Rashford on for Herrera..like playing with 10 men with Pogba. Pure shite

Comment

This sounds very promising

Amazon Studios to Adapt Consider Phlebas, First Novel of the Culture Series, for Television

Dennis Kelly who wrote Utopia and Pulling with Sharon Horgan will be writer / showrunner and will be produced by Brad Pitts production company.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                He is right utd are crap
                A decent enough team handcuffed by an defence obsessed manager. Whelan isn't great but don't see a bias other than a bit superior in his views.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Why do commentators go on about 0-0 1st leg being a great result for the away side? Got away with murder again tonight thanks to De Gea and if Sevilla get one at OT, United won't go through.

Comment

Comment

That's not real is it?

Yikes! Sounds like it's real. Give guns to the teachers, what sort of an imbecile would think something that stupid GTFO.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          That's not real is it?

Yikes! Sounds like it's real. Give guns to the teachers, what sort of an imbecile would think something that stupid GTFO.
                          It appears to be the default gun-toting NRA member solution.
                          Baffling stuff.

I really hope that Trump is lend false support here to improve his image.
                          "Trump was gonna do it, but them chickenshit democrats in congress would let him".
                          Not a fan of that kinda bluffing from politicians, but the alternative is much worse.
                          Last edited by Mellor; 22-02-18, 06:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            That's not real is it?

Very common proposed solution from NRA type folk. If there was ever a sign of a country that has lost total control it would be armed teachers
                            airport, lol

Comment

Mark Cuban in hot water with the NBA over comments regarding "tanking" for draft picks and is fined 600k.

The same day this drops: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/20/da...cuban-response

Although he's a bit OTT at times, Cuban never struck me as the type that would tolerate behaviour that would bring the team into disrepute. It is very hard to imagine he wasn't aware of what was going on here though.

Comment

The first time a teacher shoots a pupil in class will be interesting, or the first time a student takes the gun off the teacher and shoots them.

Comment

What about when the coach fails to shoot the culprit (hell of a thing killing a man –Clint) does that mean he/she will now also be part of the blame? Will army training now be requisite on CVs to be a coach/teacher. This is ignorant on so many levels. Bring guns INTO the classroom. If my kids were in a US school they’d have a bulletproof vest under the uniform. Some company out there will make a fortune if they ever design something to that effect. I also blame violent computer games but sure that’s another argument :-P

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                    The first time a teacher shoots a pupil in class will be interesting, or the first time a student takes the gun off the teacher and shoots them.
                                    It would add an interesting new dynamic to the classroom. All we got were dusters fired at the head.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Don't agree it should be the teachers been armed outside of an interim measure as they had enough to worry about. Off duty cops or ex military vets would be better options as they have the experience and training. There was some school in Arizona were the teachers already have guns and a TV crew asked the kids if they feel safer knowing their teachers have guns every single kid put their hands up. In the absence of guns I'd be sending kids off with those bullet proof backpacks and a door stop at a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                        Don't agree it should be the teachers been armed outside of an interim measure as they had enough to worry about. Off duty cops or ex military vets would be better options as they have the experience and training. There was some school in Arizona were the teachers already have guns and a TV crew asked the kids if they feel safer knowing their teachers have guns every single kid put their hands up. In the absence of guns I'd be sending kids off with those bullet proof backpacks and a door stop at a minimum.
                                        Did they put their hands up because they were under arrest

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                          What about when the coach fails to shoot the culprit (hell of a thing killing a man –Clint) does that mean he/she will now also be part of the blame? Will army training now be requisite on CVs to be a coach/teacher. This is ignorant on so many levels. Bring guns INTO the classroom. If my kids were in a US school they’d have a bulletproof vest under the uniform. Some company out there will make a fortune if they ever design something to that effect. I also blame violent computer games but sure that’s another argument :-P
                                          I blame John Wayne meself.

Comment

I blame John Wayne meself.
                                            Well hold on there Pilgrim.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Any other civilised countries you think you'd need to supply your child with a bullet proof backpack for school in?

Heck of a statement that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    For that to be valid, you'd need to ask students in schools where the teachers aren't armed whether they'd like their teacher to be rocking a shotgun during poetry class.
                                                    You would also need to take the fairly wild leap of faith that school kids know anything about what's good or safe for them.

Every last student agreeing on any topic is highly suggestive of stage management in any case.
                                                    Last edited by Keane; 22-02-18, 09:04.

Comment

Don't agree it should be the teachers been armed outside of an interim measure as they had enough to worry about. Off duty cops or ex military vets would be better options as they have the experience and training.
                                                      This is one of those ideas that has the benefit of feeling sensible at first but, on even a cursory examination, is absolutely atrocious.

First, you cannot normalise the militarisation of public spaces in this way. It creates a terrible social acceptance that is almost impossible to undo. Second, it falls into the classic pro-gun position that presupposes that the answer to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. There's a certain logic to that. However, the real answer is to make it exceptionally difficult for the bad guy to ever have a gun in the first place. The equivalent would be to suggest that the answer for the obesity crisis is dieting only once the person has become obese. The best approach in all things are preventative measures, not just curative. Although I accept as a general principle that curative approaches are required, they should be a fall back position rather than the first response.
                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                        This is one of those ideas that has the benefit of feeling sensible at first but, on even a cursory examination, is absolutely atrocious.

First, you cannot normalise the militarisation of public spaces in this way. It creates a terrible social acceptance that is almost impossible to undo. Second, it falls into the classic pro-gun position that presupposes that the answer to a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. There's a certain logic to that. However, the real answer is to make it exceptionally difficult for the bad guy to ever have a gun in the first place. The equivalent would be to suggest that the answer for the obesity crisis is dieting only once the person has become obese. The best approach in all things are preventative measures, not just curative. Although I accept as a general principle that curative approaches are required, they should be a fall back position rather than the first response.
                                                        Agree the widespread access to guns isn't what anyone would want but it is what it is for now. President Trump is moving to ban bump stocks and increase background checks but its going to be a slow moving process. Obama was extremely anti gun and didn't make much if any ground on it. So while its nice to not want to do something there is also a time to be practical when a threat exists. Look at any major tourist site In Europe at the moment you will have cops and military with automatic weapons - is it ideal no is it necessary for now yes.

Comment

There are plenty of schools with armed security. Elite schools for the children children of diplomats (think Along came a Spider), or rich people who kids might be targeted for kidnapping. A Jewish school near my gym has armed security.

I'd imagine the cost involved is a lot. Certain beyond the budget of any US public schools where staff are already underpaid.

Comment

An army vet just back from a tour of Afghanistan, touch of ptsd armed and stuck in a school.

What could go wrong, it's not as if kids are noisy, unpredictable or cheeky fuckers who like winding everyone up.

Literally the worst idea I have ever heard.

They should clearly replace the water in sprinkler systems with tear gas, there must be more school shootings than school fires in the states at this stage.

Comment

I'd be supplying my kid with a passport personally.
                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                For that to be valid, you'd need to ask students in schools where the teachers aren't armed whether they'd like their teacher to be rocking a shotgun during poetry class.
                                                                Since when should we be asking kids opinion on something like that, did they ask them should the US invade north Korea?
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                  There are plenty of schools with armed security. Elite schools for the children children of diplomats (think Along came a Spider), or rich people who kids might be targeted for kidnapping. A Jewish school near my gym has armed security.

I'd imagine the cost involved is a lot. Certain beyond the budget of any US public schools where staff are already underpaid.
                                                                  It would seem like a perfect spot for a Pigovian tax to fund it but unlikely in USA.

Comment

airport, lol

Comment

Trump says a lot of things

Comment

It would seem like a perfect spot for a Pigovian tax to fund it but unlikely in USA.
                                                                        Do you mean taxing the firearms industry to fund it? I'd be surprised if they could get close to the funds required - based on very rough napkin numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Trump says a lot of things
                                                                          He certainly does.

Although seeking to deflect attention away from Russia and politicising murder are not the kind of things that should be said by any responsible leader.

I suspect though Trump needs to hit rock bottom in order for America to come to its senses.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                            An army vet just back from a tour of Afghanistan, touch of ptsd armed and stuck in a school.

What could go wrong, it's not as if kids are noisy, unpredictable or cheeky fuckers who like winding everyone up.

Literally the worst idea I have ever heard.

They should clearly replace the water in sprinkler systems with tear gas, there must be more school shootings than school fires in the states at this stage.
                                                                            I was going to say the exact same thing. A lot of these Vets went through hell and there will be many who will snap very easy. Hear a noise that transports them back to Tour, take the gun out *pow* *pow* And we have little Johnny who was playing with his snap bracelet dead on the floor.

I am so glad that I don't live in that Country, I would be homeschooling my kids at this stage!

Comment

It’s getting to the stage where you won’t be able to extort a penny out of the softees lunch money without fear of fatal retribution if said softee becomes unhinged. It’s also interesting that this doesn’t happen in the workplace more often. Why the schools? Emotionally charged teens? If that’s the case make it illegal for anyone under a certain age to fire a gun anywhere , if they do YOU are fined (not them). I’m trying to help here so no lentil recipes alright.

Comment

Bless your hearts discovering lentils. Make sure you use the right ones for what you want. Main variants are brown, green, red, yellow, black beluga and puy. If a bag just says lentils it's probably brown. Brown/green hold their shape well and the only difference is taste really, brown are more earthy, green are more peppery, good for soups, stews, bolognaise, salads, roasts, burgers, whatever.

Red/yellow are more sweet/nutty and are the ones you find in middle eastern/indian food. They fall apart and turn to mush so use for any puréed dish. Like Trippie said, daal is class. Also find them in Ethiopian food.

Black beluga/puy are the two most common other lentils although there are far more types. I think the puy ones are the ponciest as they are grown in volcanic soil in France in "Le Puy".

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                  I'd be supplying my kid with a passport personally.
                                                                                  It doesn't count. You have to go through the passport office. Even for babies.

Comment

Agree the widespread access to guns isn't what anyone would want but it is what it is for now. President Trump is moving to ban bump stocks and increase background checks but its going to be a slow moving process. Obama was extremely anti gun and didn't make much if any ground on it. So while its nice to not want to do something there is also a time to be practical when a threat exists. Look at any major tourist site In Europe at the moment you will have cops and military with automatic weapons - is it ideal no is it necessary for now yes.
                                                                                    Universal background checks, banning sales at gun shows and an immediate ban on semi-automatic weapons would all have a better short-term effect than arming teachers or militarising schools.

If Trump does ban the bump stock I will happily laud it as an achievement. But just as Obama failed with gun control so too will Trump is bump stocks is as far as he gets.
                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

It’s getting to the stage where you won’t be able to extort a penny out of the softees lunch money without fear of fatal retribution if said softee becomes unhinged. It’s also interesting that this doesn’t happen in the workplace more often. Why the schools? Emotionally charged teens? If that’s the case make it illegal for anyone under a certain age to fire a gun anywhere , if they do YOU are fined (not them). I’m trying to help here so no lentil recipes alright.
                                                                                      I bet you were king of the softees back in the 'hood

Comment

I see Michael D is likely going to walk a second term after promisining he was only going to do the one. Probably one of the worst presidents we've had in recent times, if Gay Mitchellhad treated the office like he has there'd been uproar but instead we get things like this http://www.dailyedge.ie/michael-d-hi...63149-Feb2018/

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          I see Michael D is likely going to walk a second term after promisining he was only going to do the one. Probably one of the worst presidents we've had in recent times, if Gay Mitchellhad treated the office like he has there'd been uproar but instead we get things like this http://www.dailyedge.ie/michael-d-hi...63149-Feb2018/
                                                                                          Mick d hasn’t been that bad
                                                                                          Himself and the wife have seen the world and attended loads of league of Ireland games not many pass presidents can say that
                                                                                          Also he has overseen the tweed suit revolution

Comment

How does one become a terrible president of Ireland?

The faux outrage over "he said he'd only do one term" is hilarious. Under absolutely no circumstances did the general public vote for him because they thought he'd be gone after one term. No one's going to vote against him this time around because of that either (if that's the only reason to vote for someone else, then you need to take a look at yourself)

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

The faux outrage over "he said he'd only do one term" is hilarious. Under absolutely no circumstances did the general public vote for him because they thought he'd be gone after one term. No one's going to vote against him this time around because of that either (if that's the only reason to vote for someone else, then you need to take a look at yourself)
                                                                                              But he lied, surely somebody here wouldn't support somebody who told a lie?

Heat's back on baby.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                Mark Cuban in hot water with the NBA over comments regarding "tanking" for draft picks and is fined 600k.

The same day this drops: https://www.si.com/nba/2018/02/20/da...cuban-response

Although he's a bit OTT at times, Cuban never struck me as the type that would tolerate behaviour that would bring the team into disrepute. It is very hard to imagine he wasn't aware of what was going on here though.
                                                                                                I know nothing about NBA, but i've watched all of 'Shark Tank' and hope he keeps his spot because he plays the part well!

Comment

I bet you were king of the softees back in the 'hood
                                                                                                  Lunch money lol. I'd eat all the corn beef sambos that weren't good enough for everyone else. And yes there were probably buggers in them.

I'm probably more of a softee now.

Comment

The 2 Marys did a lot more for global good in fairness. They used the part of the job that was lead ambassador quite effectively and I am sure Kayroo can weigh in but being very good legal minds I am sure did a great job on the legislative part of the job.

I dont remember him really doing much on the global stage bar call some American loon a wanker or something similar.

I wouldn't say he was a bad or terrible president as Denny does but I am not sure if he was really much good either. He seems to be more drifting on as the state figurehead rather than actually using the position.

The Mary's were more item 1 or 2 on the news where as a lot of what I see about Michael D is the nice wrap up story or going into the sports section - not a particularly deep analysis of his effectiveness basing it on how much I remember him having a big story I know.

Interested to see who else runs really but unless someone great or really ridiculous runs I would say inertia carrys the vote.

Comment

Lunch money lol. I'd eat all the corn beef sambos that weren't good enough for everyone else. And yes there were probably buggers in them.

I'm probably more of a softee now.
                                                                                                      I'd imagine RD3 has no idea what you're talking about with your corn beef sambos.
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

He consistently over stepped the bounds of the office. I don't think the president should be writing effusive statements praising heads of state that tortured and murdered their citizens even if Higgins likes the guys political ideology.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 22-02-18, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                          Universal background checks, banning sales at gun shows and an immediate ban on semi-automatic weapons would all have a better short-term effect than arming teachers or militarising schools.

If Trump does ban the bump stock I will happily laud it as an achievement. But just as Obama failed with gun control so too will Trump is bump stocks is as far as he gets.
                                                                                                          Semi-automatic firearms is far too broad a category. Pistols, Rifles, non-pump-action shotguns, etc. Examples of each are all legal in Ireland, so not a hope they get banned in the US.
                                                                                                          Aiming lower would have a better chance, like banning semi-auto centrefire rifles - but that's probably a push too. Given a 3 shot hunting rifle would fall under that too.

They'll reinstate Clinton's 1994 assault weapon ban imo, with current legally owned weapons grandfathered. Leaving millions out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                            I know nothing about NBA, but i've watched all of 'Shark Tank' and hope he keeps his spot because he plays the part well!
                                                                                                            He's generally very good on any Bball related debates too, outside of Jordan he's almost certainly the most high profile owner.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't lay low for a while now, the level of sexual misconduct and overall culture of the Mavs organisation seems pretty damning.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                              I'd imagine RD3 has no idea what you're talking about with your corn beef sambos.
                                                                                                              On Wednesday I did not dine alone.

Bun day.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                                There's a very simple solution. Arm the children.

Comment

What would be the plan with these armed teachers or vets? The shooters tend to arrive with rifles so is a Glock enough for a teacher? Maybe they will need a bullet proof vest, an assault rifle and a couple of frag grenades.

What happens then when next shooter is heavier tooled again, kills a load of teachers. Do you beef up the schools arsenal?

And what fucking teacher will want to play the hero, I doubt many want to be on front line v these shooters when it kicks off with their pistol, I'd imagine most want to hedge their bets and leg it with the kids.
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                                    There's a very simple solution. Arm the children.
                                                                                                                    Great idea, teach marksmanship in the school. Have them all ready to fight Isis at 16, school shooters Nd terrorism solved in one clever move
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                      What would be the plan with these armed teachers or vets? The shooters tend to arrive with rifles so is a Glock enough for a teacher? Maybe they will need a bullet proof vest, an assault rifle and a couple of frag grenades.

What happens then when next shooter is heavier tooled again, kills a load of teachers. Do you beef up the schools arsenal?

And what fucking teacher will want to play the hero, I doubt many want to be on front line v these shooters when it kicks off with their pistol, I'd imagine most want to hedge their bets and leg it with the kids.
                                                                                                                      It'll be like the teacher in the rich Biff Back to the Future part, with a pump action shotgun and belts of bullets.

Comment

I'm trying to ideate the teachers I had growing up with guns. Some random diddery 60 year old Geography teacher from Leitrim packing heat in her back pocket along with some reading glasses and throat lozenges.

There was definitely one or two teachers I had that would have tilt shot kids at some point of my time in school.
                                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

Congrats on the job, here's the keys to your new classroom and your department of education standard issue glock 9. If you need extra ammo you can order it from stores. No guns allowed in staff room though, there was a disagreement over the supervision rota last year and 3 were killed.
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X