Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    There's a world full of those, and yet last week one of the absolute vilest - the Saudi king - was feted in US and the week before feted in the UK. This is a guy who is actively starving millions of people in Yemen because they wouldn't put their puppet dictator in power, and who led to overthrow of democratic leader in Lebanon recently. A country that is the main sponsor of Muslim terrorism. Let's try to put a bit of perspective on this and not be too swayed by a desire to rerun the cold war.
    Ignoring the tedious whataboutery.

It's actually Vlad who's hankering for the good old days of Cold War and hegemony over Eastern Europe. His entire schtick is based on it.

Ask the Czechs, Slovaks, Lithuanians, Poles, Latvians, Poles, East Germans, Bulgarians, Romanians etc if they miss those fun times.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
      Isn't the throwing people out of the embassy a little dance that is done every couple of years.

Final series of The Americans must be due soon, should be an interesting conclusion. No matter how crazy the situations they presented in it were they never came close to the craziness of the shit that really went on during the cold war.
      I see Homeland seems to have pretty much nailed the real life angle too.

Wonder do they write in real time?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Often get the feeling that Russia is paying Hitch a lot more than PTSB used to
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
          Often get the feeling that Russia is paying Hitch a lot more than PTSB used to
          The Mrs is a FSB colonel you know.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
            I've decided to keep on vaping, though I have reduced the nicotine level to 6mg and also just take a few hours break from it every now and then. To be honest I'd be more concerned about my caffeine intake, as it's something I'm inclined to overdo (and get more of a buzz from).
            Think there would have been more than 10 doctors who asked me about my smoking history, without exception they all gave the impression that they considered a vaper as someone who was now a non smoker.
            I got asked 455331 times about smoking, even although they all wrote it down, it was like they just don't believe me! never smoked a single cigarette in my life!

Glad you recovering well CC.

Comment

It's actually Vlad who's hankering for the good old days of Cold War and hegemony over Eastern Europe. His entire schtick is based on it.

Ask the Czechs, Slovaks, Lithuanians, Poles, Latvians, Poles, East Germans, Bulgarians, Romanians etc if they miss those fun times.
              I wouldn't say you'd need to ask the Poles twice.
              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

John Halligan TD minister for training Skills and innovation looks like a Scouse Charlie Chaplin South American dictator . .

Comment

Comment

On a week off, down in The Ferrycarrig.

We both ordered a sirloin in the gastro bar, both medium rare.

Both arrived well done. Quite obviously well done.

I'm like meh, whatever, I'm starving, I'll eat it and let them know afterwards for the sake of constructive criticism. It was still tasty.

The missus is a hardier buck though. She calls the garcon over and in fairness, politely complains. They're sound about it and take the wasted beast away.

She uses the opportunity to walk around the place with the pram trying to get the bairn to sleep.

A while later I call her to tell her her new steak is on the table.

The thing is even more done than the last, it's like they stuck it back on the griddle for another 5 minutes.

lol Wexford.

Still tipped tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                      ...seen this last week, fucking rediculius...Legendary...

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Interesting point that hasn't been widely noted the leader of school shooting protest wasn't at the school the day of the shooting see 4:30 in this video.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            On a week off, down in The Ferrycarrig.

We both ordered a sirloin in the gastro bar, both medium rare.

Both arrived well done. Quite obviously well done.

I'm like meh, whatever, I'm starving, I'll eat it and let them know afterwards for the sake of constructive criticism. It was still tasty.

The missus is a hardier buck though. She calls the garcon over and in fairness, politely complains. They're sound about it and take the wasted beast away.

She uses the opportunity to walk around the place with the pram trying to get the bairn to sleep.

A while later I call her to tell her her new steak is on the table.

The thing is even more done than the last, it's like they stuck it back on the griddle for another 5 minutes.

lol Wexford.

Still tipped tho.
                            That's the deep seated Irish Catholic coming out in you.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                              Interesting point that hasn't been widely noted the leader of school shooting protest wasn't at the school the day of the shooting see 4:30 in this video.

https://youtu.be/IUOkBv6wMhc
                              So what?

The first I've heard that, but my genuine initial reaction was, so what?

What in your opinion does that mean?

Comment

Asked a coding question on stackoverflow, after spending a few hours trying to solve something. Within two minutes there was three complete solutions proposed. Those guys are the nut nerds!

On that note, I see Silicon Valley is back. Quite apprehensive about committing to it as they clear had zero ideas left by the end of last season. Anyone watched?
                                It's really the go-to place for code. Literally every powershell problem that I Google points to there.

Silicon Valley has a great cast but it will take a huge effort to get it back on track. Interestingly the showrunner Mike Judge burned TJ Miller(Erlich) in an interview a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                  That's the deep seated Irish Catholic coming out in you.
                                  It is a truly Irish thing though isn't it.

The wife is made of sterner stuff though, must be that exotic blood in her. She was like 'you're not giving more than a fiver'

I nod in agreement, while not letting her see me give eight.

Comment

So what you are saying is that the Anti gun lobby, the leader and the shooter were all in on it?

Comment

So what?

The first I've heard that, but my genuine initial reaction was, so what?

What in your opinion does that mean?
                                      I honestly don't know it probably doesn't even matter but I hadn't heard it.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                        So what you are saying is that the Anti gun lobby, the leader and the shooter were all in on it?
                                        Are you Cathy Newman?

Comment

Are you Cathy Newman?
                                          No idea who that is, but were your guys not claiming that one of the speakers didn't even go to that school?

Comment

I honestly don't know it probably doesn't even matter but I hadn't heard it.
                                            I'd say it's statistically quite likely that a student not at the school that day would end up being a protest leader, as presumably they'd be less likely to be suffering from PTSD, undergoing rehab for their injuries, or dead.

Comment

The wife is made of sterner stuff though, must be that exotic blood in her. She was like 'you're not giving more than a fiver'

I'm. A fucking nightmare at a table, anything wrong with meal I'm Off ranting Fuck That shit. Meals are expensive. I expect what I ask for. Many a discount or free bottle of vino I got through my complaints
                                              Her sky-ness
                                              © 5starpool

Comment

US markets have their best day in two years as U.S. and Chinese officials are working to improve U.S. access to China's markets. Very stable financial genius.

Comment

Another interesting point
                                                  You do go deep to talk some shite

Comment

Interesting point that you probably weren't on this particular bus. Doesn't mean you don't belong on it.
                                                    Last edited by Hectorjelly; 26-03-18, 22:59.

Comment

Window lickers bus is it.

Comment

How so? Americans are way better tippers than irish.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                              How so? Americans are way better tippers than irish.
                                                              The Irish people's awkward willingness to tip a bad experience is the point you missed this time.

Comment

And don't forget to add tax, such a bad system.

Asked a coding question on stackoverflow, after spending a few hours trying to solve something. Within two minutes there was three complete solutions proposed. Those guys are the nut nerds!

On that note, I see Silicon Valley is back. Quite apprehensive about committing to it as they clear had zero ideas left by the end of last season. Anyone watched?
                                                                There are a good few stackexchange for different topics, have had a lot of stuff answered on there as has every developer. It could do half our job if we wanted
                                                                Sometimes if I have an answer myself I'd still post up the question to see what the autistic savants would have done.

Comment

The Irish people's awkward willingness to tip a bad experience is the point you missed this time.
                                                                  I don't think that's an Irish trait. I've read quite a few articles and studies on it, Tipping serves basically very little purpose other than avoiding the taxman. Also for businesses it often creates competing incentives. EG a waiter is incentivised to do what will bring him the most tips, not what create the most revenue for the company.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                    On that note, I think its ridiculous that the World Cup is being held in Russia. Has anyone seen the documentary Icarus? If not, here's a quick rundown:
                                                                    Russia, and specifically the FSB set up at Sochi so they can systematically help every one of their athletes cheat and fool the international observers. They had rooms set up with hidden holes to pass bottles of piss around. This was all done with Putin's knowledge. Afterwards some of the people involved has suspicious deaths. The documentary is eye watering stuff.
                                                                    Was a great doco
                                                                    Originally posted by Mike Bullocks View Post
                                                                    A great solution, playing up the theatric getting Carol to write it out like.
                                                                    But he basically found a way to use the 25 twice.

I assume the had something like this on the sheet;
                                                                    Code:
                                                                    318*[(75/25)-(50/25)]
                                                                    318*3-2

Comment

Again, not unique to irish.
                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Arrive at airport at 5.50 for 6.15 flight, mentally making myself a 2/1 shot to make this.

Sprint through T2 and get to gate in sweaty mess. Victory. Now sitting in plane at gate for last 40 mins due to fog in Amsterdam.

Comment

Comment

Its way too early, but how did he get to use 25 twice?
                                                                            His solution written linearly was;
                                                                            (100+6) x 3 x (75/25) - (50/25)
                                                                            106 x 3 x 3 - 2
                                                                            =954 - 2

Obviously, the above has two 25s in it.He did that taking the common factor outside the brackets (for the underlined part)

(75/25) - (50/25)
                                                                            =(75 - 50) / 25

Same expression, with one 25 used.
                                                                            He made Voderman multiple it all out as is, but on somebody would cancel the above down to smaller numbers

Comment

Friday
                                                                              Trump seems to be doing his utmost to collapse the US stock market. It's weird. He literally needs to do nothing and prices will probably continue on their 8-year upward trajectory. Exactly what he did in first year. But now he seems to be angling for a market crash as his big notable achievement.
                                                                              these policies are consistently crashing the market. The man is a financial dumbass of the highest order.
                                                                              Originally posted by Denny Crane
                                                                              Defending US IP and extracting better trade terms from China is only going to be good in the long-term. He's causing himself a lot of short-term pain for the long-term good of the country.
                                                                              Originally posted by Denny Crane
                                                                              it's going to be a massive ++ for the US.
                                                                              Monday

S&P 500 Index posted its biggest one-day jump since August 2015 as China pledges to ease access to American businesses.

"The recent escalation may have simply been a negotiating tactic that will end in a compromise," wrote analysts at JPMorgan
                                                                              I knew that was going to happen

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

This mornings task was being awoken to the anguished wails of the kid who had pushed a lego piece in his nose, and then in his panic to undo it had pushed it further in. Snot had run to his nose, maybe his body trying to clear out the obstacle. So i jumped in and started sucking his nose in the hope of bringing it forward. It was only when I was a few mouthfuls of snot in that my brain woke up a bit and said 'hey dude why don't you use a tweasers?'.

What did everyone else have for breakfast?
                                                                                    Absolutely hilarious 😂 😂 😂 😂
                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

I mean it's not particularly interesting, and answered in about 20 seconds actual research
                                                                                      David Hogg, a 17-year-old senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, huddled with classmates as gunman Nikolas Cruz tore through his high school Wednesday on a rampage that left 17 dead.

Hogg, a student journalist, took out his cellphone and began recording his classmates — a gun control plea in sickening real time.

The evening after the shooting, Hogg says, he biked up to the school, where the media was still camped out. This time, he put himself in front of the camera, making his first — but not final — plea for an end to mass shootings. He made another on CNN on Thursday morning, calling on lawmakers to “get something done.”
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I recently interviewed a few people for a role.
                                                                                        One of them mentioned using stackoverflow to solve a problem for them.
                                                                                        Needless to say, they were the one hired
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

...

Comment

Thread. Bit shocked by quite how much information Google stores on a person.

Ha, apparently from adssettings the music topics I like are blues, classical, country, dance & electronic and folk & traditional.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I saw that yday, Blaaaahhh666 shared it. Incredible amount of info, although I'm not particularly surprised.

I read that Weapons of Math Destruction last week and I'm almost sure Cambridge Analytica got a mention or definitely someone involved, I'll have to double check.
                                                                                              The book is along the lines of Freakanomics but interesting none the less.

The use of data to shape our world view is incredible and easy given how much time we spend on phones etc.

Listening to Sam Harris and he has a discussion on Determinism vs Free Will, I'm sure Hotspur could elaborate but it's an interesting concept in light of the constant feedback loop we expose ourselves too.

Comment

Saw that yesterday, hes going on like a hysterical oul wan and by the time he gets to point 32 he has gone the full tin foil hat.

Obviously if there was any indication that Google are selling or sharing your info, its game over for them. The idea that there are hordes of lads sitting up in Barrow street scrutinising individuals data for nefarious purposes is indicative of nothing more than extreme paranoia and a kind of anthropomorphism that simply does not understand data and what is going on with it.

Just to remind everyone, there is an off button, you control it. There is an opt out it is your choice. Ant the next person who tells me that I am the product gets a free amatuer lobotomy from my fist
                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

wonder how many people will create archives (of several hundred gig) on the back of this

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                    wonder how many people will create archives (of several hundred gig) on the back of this
                                                                                                    LOL, my favourite line in the whole thing is when he tries to explain how shocking the whole thing is by saying it is 400,000 Word documents

I suppose he knows his target audience

Comment

Saw that yesterday, hes going on like a hysterical oul wan and by the time he gets to point 32 he has gone the full tin foil hat.

Obviously if there was any indication that Google are selling or sharing your info, its game over for them. The idea that there are hordes of lads sitting up in Barrow street scrutinising individuals data for nefarious purposes is indicative of nothing more than extreme paranoia and a kind of anthropomorphism that simply does not understand data and what is going on with it.

Just to remind everyone, there is an off button, you control it. There is an opt out it is your choice. Ant the next person who tells me that I am the product gets a free amatuer lobotomy from my fist
                                                                                                      this is quite dismissive, even for you
                                                                                                      Hordes of lads, scrutinising individuals for nefarious purposes
                                                                                                      C'mon man.

Tbh, I quite like the timelines

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          Nice to see you posting a bit more regularly TD
                                                                                                          Appreciate the kind words man, dropped off the scene for a bit for a couple different reasons but nice to be back around, wonder has Hotspur posted any sightings of me while I was offline from IPB

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                          We should organise it actually, am just down the canal from you.
                                                                                                          If I'd of known that I'd be there once a week.

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                          This one cracks me up.

parody with a group of people dancing on a techno songno offense at all...i just thought it would be funny matching the song with the movement...didn't wanna...

His lawyer gave her 130 big ones and a NDA to sign.

Proof.
                                                                                                          One of the things I find highly unusual from Trump is that he hasn't attacked/gone after Stormy Daniels/Karen McDougal he hasn't shown any restraint in going after other folk.

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                          I don't think that's an Irish trait. I've read quite a few articles and studies on it, Tipping serves basically very little purpose other than avoiding the taxman. Also for businesses it often creates competing incentives. EG a waiter is incentivised to do what will bring him the most tips, not what create the most revenue for the company.
                                                                                                          I find tipping a bit of a pox in all reality, I'd hazard to say that the incentive isn't as big as one would think reference by the fact that Lazare above got terrible service but yet still felt compelled to leave a tip I'd say a large majority of people would still do it (I've done it) but found myself being more selective in where/when I tip, reading a bunch of articles over the last couple years about the tipping culture and it's swayed me big time, seen stats about the ratio of who gets tipped blonde > brunette / women > men / race also plays a big factor in it. Recently read this article from the NYT

Also this video cracks me up.

Some aspects of tipping, I don't get it at all. I mean I don't eat at restaurants often anyways, knowing someone who doesn't give a fuck about me is making m...
                                                                                                          Last edited by tylerdurden94; 27-03-18, 11:33.
                                                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

There is nothing in that thread that you shouldn't already know and certainly nothing that should surprise you.

Comment

Good luck to the people sitting down in a room today to try to come to a judgment on the rape trial in Belfast. It's is not a job I'd wish on anyone whatever decision they come to is going to be a very tough call with huge consequences.

Comment

I mean it's not particularly interesting, and answered in about 20 seconds actual research

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...gg-gun-control
                                                                                                                I forgot to quote this, didn't even bother to watch the video as it was just Jack trolling again, what will be his response now that you've cleared it up for him?
                                                                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

this is quite dismissive, even for you
                                                                                                                  Hordes of lads, scrutinising individuals for nefarious purposes
                                                                                                                  C'mon man.

Tbh, I quite like the timelines
                                                                                                                  But its him who is imagining individuals in Google towers spying on people's wives and throwing out meaningless shite like the 400,000 word documents I have no idea who this guy is but he has been getting media attention and IMO he's either a bit simple and is just finding out how this stuff now or is cynically scaremongering.

I'm all for people understanding how much data they are sharing, with whom, for what purposes and most importantly how they can control it.

I'm sure the day will come when the deal with Google will stop working in favour of the consumer but for the moment I'm still waiting to see the catch where the only cost appears to be seeing targeted ads, which are mainly a good thing, in return for a host of free products and services:
                                                                                                                  Maps with realtime accurate traffic and routing info and livesharing if I want it
                                                                                                                  email - I can search in gmail and find stuff from 10 years ago quicker than I can find something from last week in outlook!
                                                                                                                  Chrome and Chromecast
                                                                                                                  Photos, sharing and searching
                                                                                                                  Drive
                                                                                                                  Sites
                                                                                                                  Better than MS office docs and sheets
                                                                                                                  etc.

And at every step I can configure privacy and security settings with a fine granularity through a very easy to use interface.

If anyone can explain, using only facts and reality what the catch is I'm wide open to hearing them ?

Comment

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...gg-gun-control
                                                                                                                    It would appear the quote in the video was out of context in this case.

Comment

This mornings task was being awoken to the anguished wails of the kid who had pushed a lego piece in his nose, and then in his panic to undo it had pushed it further in. Snot had run to his nose, maybe his body trying to clear out the obstacle. So i jumped in and started sucking his nose in the hope of bringing it forward. It was only when I was a few mouthfuls of snot in that my brain woke up a bit and said 'hey dude why don't you use a tweasers?'.

What did everyone else have for breakfast?
                                                                                                                      Today's news . Child of parents both with PHDs stuffs Lego up his nose . Father sucks it out.

Sperm donor clinics to review selection criteria.

Comment

Good luck to the people sitting down in a room today to try to come to a judgment on the rape trial in Belfast. It's is not a job I'd wish on anyone whatever decision they come to is going to be a very tough call with huge consequences.
                                                                                                                        Having done a very trivial one recently , I still can't imagine the jury room tension

Comment

Given google have so much information on me, their targeted ads are pretty shite and off the mark for the most part.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X