Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scenes in the hurling. Tipp keeper catches the ball that was dropping over the bar from a Wexford free, Tipp go up the other end straight away and score a goal. Ref calls it all back for hawk eye to review the point attempt and it shows that the keeper caught the ball when it was already over the bar. Goal disallowed for Tipp, point awarded Wexford. Crazy that it can be brought back like that after such substantial action but that's why the tech is there I spose.

Ref absolutely riding Tipp in general.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
      Scenes in the hurling. Tipp keeper catches the ball that was dropping over the bar from a Wexford free, Tipp go up the other end straight away and score a goal. Ref calls it all back for hawk eye to review the point attempt and it shows that the keeper caught the ball when it was already over the bar. Goal disallowed for Tipp, point awarded Wexford. Crazy that it can be brought back like that after such substantial action but that's why the tech is there I spose.

Ref absolutely riding Tipp in general.
      Would have been nice to have had that after the final sideline ball for limerick yesterday which should have resulted in a 65 !

Edit..Joanne agrees with me....
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        Would have been nice to have had that after the final sideline ball for limerick yesterday which should have resulted in a 65 !

Edit..Joanne agrees with me....
        Well that was just ridiculously bad from all the officials. But yeah, hurling has gone so fast it has to be only a matter of time before some type of VAR comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter
          HAwkeye should have alerted the ref before the next free was taken... calling it back 40 seconds later is a bit much
          You posted in the wrong thread old man but yes, it should have been stopped before Tipp took their free and it's definitely too long after they score the goal.

The lads in studio confirmed it was 32 seconds from keeper catching the point to the Tipp goal and apparently it takes less than 30 seconds for hawk eye to do its thing but the issue was trying to communicate with the ref. Yikes. All over the shop.

Comment

Tipp better with 14 men

Comment

The ref going with the aul "I better level things up"since the sending off. Brutal stuff

Comment

This is unreal. Up hurling!!

Comment

Tipp are ice cold, Wexford tightening. Only one way this is ending.

Comment

I don't know the rules well enough to know if the ref is good or bad, but the boards gaa threads are always a complete delight on this issue.

Comment

This is a fab spot. Litre sangria.. Mixture of smoked sausages, bread, prawns in coconut and a fabulous view!!!!
                      Her sky-ness
                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                        I don't know the rules well enough to know if the ref is good or bad, but the boards gaa threads are always a complete delight on this issue.
                        The boards threads of any sport are to be avoided at all costs. The absolute dregs of society

Hes having an absolute mare tbf. Even just now, put his hands out to signal penalty and changed his mind to a free. Hes been brutal all game

Comment

If ever a game needed a replay ...
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

How bizarre that the red card seemed to be the turning point for that game? Wexford looked like the team with 14 after it. Tipp finding players in space all over the place once that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                              Also feel WD gave LMK far too much room. I'll be looking elsewhere for an All Ireland winner.
                              Tipp
                              Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                              Of all teams I'm not seeing the answer in Tipp this year.
                              I've already backed them.

They'll be very close if they dont win it.
                              BOOOOM. Not a bad shout and getting great value now whether they finish the job or not.

Up fucking Tipp

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                Well as soon as he disallowed the goal I was looking forward to my usual blanket broadcast of the GAA and dodgy draws in big games

Fuckin GAA, can't even fix games anymore

Comment

A long shot but does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for Boca Juniors River Plate games? Could be in Buenos Aires on 1 September when they’re due to play in the league and would seem a shame to not attend...

Comment

WGC will be worth a watch later today with McIlroy & Koepka out in the final pairing together with one shot between them.

Comment

Anyone have a link to watch the golf?

Comment

Traveling GAA fans always look exactly like you expect GAA fans to look like

Comment

Koepka crushing

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            Koepka crushing
                                            My hopes

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              That's the first time I've heard anyone say anything negative about Lisbon.

Have had so many people tell me how great a city it is.
                                              Was there a few weeks ago, knew nothing about the place. Amazing city! Great to walk around, I'd be happy just doing that tbh. Much more interesting than most cities layout wise.

Comment

Fire a shot please Rory

Comment

bleugh

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                    A long shot but does anyone know how to go about getting tickets for Boca Juniors River Plate games? Could be in Buenos Aires on 1 September when they’re due to play in the league and would seem a shame to not attend...
                                                    Close to impossible, maybe try one of the touring comapanies but I can imagine they would be v expensive. San Lorenzo are playing that weekend too, I went to a game there and atmosphere was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      Gonna close the voting for the semi-finals of Music King at Midday Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                        bleugh
                                                        He's been phenomenal all year, eleven Top 10s, two victories but he doesn't seem to be performing in the events/situations which are most likely those which potentially mean the most to him. Obviously he would have loved to beat Koepka heads up and the majors is where the real acclaim is for the top players.

I think there's been an abundance of drivel spouted about his performances in recent years with factors such gym work, personal relationships, business commitments, psychological issues etc being negative influences on his performance.
                                                        While some that is completely shite and I hate speculating about the causes(if any), he does seem to be underperforming in the biggest moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                          He's been phenomenal all year, eleven Top 10s, two victories but he doesn't seem to be performing in the events/situations which are most likely those which potentially mean the most to him. Obviously he would have loved to beat Koepka heads up and the majors is where the real acclaim is for the top players.

I think there's been an abundance of drivel spouted about his performances in recent years with factors such gym work, personal relationships, business commitments, psychological issues etc being negative influences on his performance.
                                                          While some that is completely shite and I hate speculating about the causes(if any), he does seem to be underperforming in the biggest moments.

Just talking to Rory’s agent he said he might be able to play the IPB GOLF GAME on the 9th of August, I told him I’d have to check if we have any tee times available as the slots are filling up fast

Comment

You know you're in a proper French market when you can buy live chickens, ducks and rabbits.

And not as pets. Kids horrified.
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Phenomenal is pushing it a bit tbf. he's been performing to a pretty high level all year but given his talent that is the minimum we should expect from him. That might seem harsh but that's the level he's at. He seems far more mentally fragile than the likes of Koepka, Tiger in his day, or even Justin Rose.

Comment

What's an attractive mortgage rate this weather?
                                                                I'm looking at properties in the 350-420 range and have a decent wedge that'd skew LTV from sale of FIL house.
                                                                Finance Ireland is what the broker is offering but they seem to be a distressed market crowd I think?
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

double post...
                                                                  Last edited by DeadParrot; 29-07-19, 11:43.
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                                    Phenomenal is pushing it a bit tbf. he's been performing to a pretty high level all year but given his talent that is the minimum we should expect from him. That might seem harsh but that's the level he's at. He seems far more mentally fragile than the likes of Koepka, Tiger in his day, or even Justin Rose.
                                                                    I don't quite understand how you don't consider his year to have been phenomenal tbh, Obviously he hasn't been up to standard in the majors which is largely the issue but I suspect a year where he makes 12 Top tens (Koepka has 8), 2nd in PGA money list, 2nd in Fedex cup standings, 1st in scoring average, 1st tee to green(by a mile 2.275 vs 1.73), 1st in SG Total(again by a mile) should be considered an excellent year.

I read something but can't quite recall where, that historically it's been better than all but 1 or 2 of Tiger's years.

I don't quite buy the mental fragility stuff, it's a complex thing but it does seem to be the immediate default critique when he doesn't play well.
                                                                    Hard to conclude he's more mentally fragile than the guys he's won more majors and events than in a career though. Tiger fine but more majors & events won than Rose plus he's younger, more events than Koepka and equal amount of majors while the same age.

He could have had a better year from the perspective of majors but all in all it's been excellent by a wide variety of metrics.

Comment

I don't quite understand how you don't consider his year to have been phenomenal tbh, Obviously he hasn't been up to standard in the majors which is largely the issue but I suspect a year where he makes 12 Top tens (Koepka has 8), 2nd in PGA money list, 2nd in Fedex cup standings, 1st in scoring average, 1st tee to green(by a mile 2.275 vs 1.73), 1st in SG Total(again by a mile) should be considered an excellent year.

I read something but can't quite recall where, that historically it's been better than all but 1 or 2 of Tiger's years.

I don't quite buy the mental fragility stuff, it's a complex thing but it does seem to be the immediate default critique when he doesn't play well.
                                                                      Hard to conclude he's more mentally fragile than the guys he's won more majors and events than in a career though. Tiger fine but more majors & events won than Rose plus he's younger, more events than Koepka and equal amount of majors while the same age.

He could have had a better year from the perspective of majors but all in all it's been excellent by a wide variety of metrics.

Zero Majors and not even in contention on a Sunday in any of them. So the word Phenomenal simply can't be used. He openly plans his year around them and bombed in them whilst his game was (on paper) in top top shape.

He has the game. Most talented. So if it is not his head. What do you think it is?
                                                                      Was very disappointed last night. So flat. I know it's hard to back up a 62. Wanted him to crush Brooks but he was toast early on the front. Reminded me of the Quarter against Tiger earlier in the year. Just didn't turn up.

He can blow away a field when he's hot. But when it's tight and a big name is breathing down his neck he fails far more often than not. I think he's really really weak in the mind.

Comment

Just think phenomenal is a bit OTT for winning the Players and the Canadian Open. I'd personally reserve phenomenal for achievements like what Brooks has done in the last 24 months in majors etc. Undoubtedly Rory has been performing very consistently this year but a lot of his tournament finishing positions actually flatter him a bit because he was never really in contention of winning. I'm not a Rory basher at all and I think he's in a difficult spot because so much is expected of him.

Regarding the mental fragility charge im not suggesting hes a bottler but he certainly struggles to keep his head right. You often hear him being interviewed before the majors and he's trying to convince the media he doesn't feel the pressure, trotting out lines about just another tournament, etc when it's clear it's himself he's trying to convince more than anyone. He admitted as much himself in some of the post Open interviews. He was billed as the great white hope who would eclipse Tiger and Jacks records and he is struggling under the enormous pressure and expectation that comes with that type of reputation.

Comment

I wouldnt be a massive subscriber to the mentally fragile argument either. I'd be more inclined to think he doesnt quite have that same killer competitive edge that he had in his younger days. Dont think it's easy to get that back either even if you're putting in serious hours training.
                                                                          Hes given a whole lot of "there's more to life" type interviews in the past few years and fair to say golf hasnt been his sole focus like it once was. Doesnt mean it doesnt matter at all to him, you could see his hurt in interviews last week but I dont think he wakes up every morning with that killer drive needed to be the best.

You look similar raw ability superstars across any sport and your Lebron's, Tigers, Messi's, Federers would be the exception rather than the norm in that they maintained their brilliance well over a decade. You far more often see those who peak for a shorter period and then fade and never get close to those heights again.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                            I wouldnt be a massive subscriber to the mentally fragile argument either. I'd be more inclined to think he doesnt quite have that same killer competitive edge that he had in his younger days. Dont think it's easy to get that back either even if you're putting in serious hours training.
                                                                            Hes given a whole lot of "there's more to life" type interviews in the past few years and fair to say golf hasnt been his sole focus like it once was. Doesnt mean it doesnt matter at all to him, you could see his hurt in interviews last week but I dont think he wakes up every morning with that killer drive needed to be the best.

You look similar raw ability superstars across any sport and your Lebron's, Tigers, Messi's, Federers would be the exception rather than the norm in that they maintained their brilliance well over a decade. You far more often see those who peak for a shorter period and then fade and never get close to those heights again.
                                                                            He's lost his edge over the rest of the field in general. Look at 2014 golf ranking for example where Rory won two majors and was world no.1. Compare that to today Top 20 players on tour. The games got much tougher with the new crop of players in last 5 years.

Comment

I know it was mentioned here before, but I didn't see any recent talk since it was shown on RTE, but the Irish documentary "The man who wanted to fly" is just a fantastic watch. If you haven't seen it, it may still be available on the RTE player, but it's great. Funny and poignant.

Comment

I wouldnt be a massive subscriber to the mentally fragile argument either. I'd be more inclined to think he doesnt quite have that same killer competitive edge that he had in his younger days.
                                                                                Word is he never really had it (& not in a negative way), young and new would only last so long, so there was a good chance it was going to fade with time

If that is true, money would have blunted it also

Add to that, that he is not a great putter in the sense that it doesn't come to him "naturally" like some of the other top players

Was going to post last night that I think he has turned into a 1-2 round player, he can tear any course apart for that round or two but then its gone a bit

Also, he seems to play best when he has something to prove from previous week, so a bit of the "Ill show you" going on with it

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                  Zero Majors and not even in contention on a Sunday in any of them. So the word Phenomenal simply can't be used. He openly plans his year around them and bombed in them whilst his game was (on paper) in top top shape.

He has the game. Most talented. So if it is not his head. What do you think it is?
                                                                                  Was very disappointed last night. So flat. I know it's hard to back up a 62. Wanted him to crush Brooks but he was toast early on the front. Reminded me of the Quarter against Tiger earlier in the year. Just didn't turn up.

He can blow away a field when he's hot. But when it's tight and a big name is breathing down his neck he fails far more often than not. I think he's really really weak in the mind.
                                                                                  I think golf is a high variance game which as mentioned has a fine margin between the elite players, arguably a margin between Rory & others which has narrowed in recent years.

If you want to use a different adjective to describe his year thus far then that's fine, I just think based on his results for the year albeit disappointing performances in the majors, his year has been exceptional.

I wouldn't claim he's had a more successful 24 months than Koepka but it's still been excellent by his and historical standards when compared the best players so if phenomenal is simply reserved for years when a major is achieved then that's fine.

I don't know what the issue(if any) exists when he has played majors in recent years but simple variance can be seen as having an impact. Golf is high variance sport and although I'm not saying that is the cause, it should be considered before jumping to the conclusion "it's all mental". Attributing it to the mental is too simplistic imo.

The media covered is often touted too and that is largely availability bias because he's simply covered more than any golfer not named Tiger.
                                                                                  He probably references the mental side of the game no more than any other golfer as a proportion of their interviews, he is just interviewed more.

Comment

The 2 main issues that I see are that he is brain dead on the course and he has never been a top class putter. Brooks putted badly over the summer and showed you cannot win without it. The difference is Brooks is a good putter who occasionally putts badly and Mcilroy is a bad putter who occasionally putts well.

He won the Canadian open convincingly and was very lucky to win the players imo.

Despite having his best T2G performance ever he has only won twice. 4 best since they started measuring SG.

Tiger probably won 6 or 7 more times a year with similar stats.

He will win more majors because from where he drives the ball to he has to but only under optimal conditions for him.
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

The line about all the players being better now than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago is garbage.

If the fields are so much tougher now then Brooks must be the greatest golfer to ever live? He is putting up Tiger and Jack numbers in the majors for 3 years with his wins and 2nd's.

There is always a very high level of competition no matter what the era. It's just easier to forget the good but not great players. Even more so when someone is dominating like Tiger. (Els, Vijay. Mickleson, Duval)

Rory is certainly lacking something upstairs. His golf is phenomenal and he is arguably the best in the world when he is on. So why hasn't he won a major since 2015? It's not bad luck or injury. It has to be something mental.

I hope Brooks continues to dominate, he is awesome to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                        The line about all the players being better now than they were 5, 10, 20 years ago is garbage.

If the fields are so much tougher now then Brooks must be the greatest golfer to ever live? He is putting up Tiger and Jack numbers in the majors for 3 years with his wins and 2nd's.

There is always a very high level of competition no matter what the era. It's just easier to forget the good but not great players. Even more so when someone is dominating like Tiger. (Els, Vijay. Mickleson, Duval)

Rory is certainly lacking something upstairs. His golf is phenomenal and he is arguably the best in the world when he is on. So why hasn't he won a major since 2015? It's not bad luck or injury. It has to be something mental.

Vijay won 9 times on the pga tour in 2004
                                                                                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

He's pushing for no.2 in the world. What a flop.
                                                                                          He's very close. Mental work needed . He shot 62 on Sat. Koepka a machine . Rory will win again soon

Comment

Perhaps the elite players aren't better but the disparity between player's talents has certainly narrowed which is largely the point.

I don't think many people make the point that the best players of the current era are better than best players of any other era but in relative terms there's a much smaller gap between 1-100, 101-500 etc than there ever was before.

Comment

That part is garbage . Courses are monsters now also.

Comment

I'd say the obnoxious amounts of money in the game have a lot to do with lads not needing to stay as competitive for as long too. Golf has been very streaky the last decade or so. Of the multiple major winners most have done it in a very confined amount of years. Look at Koepka, Spieth, Kaymer, Padraig, Rory, Bubba, Cabrera, they may have peaked at different stages of their careers but their major wins are all confined in a very small number of years. Some of those would have been tipped to go on and dominate for years to come at the height of their peak but recent history suggests this is not the case and Rory is just another one of those who was brilliant for a while but couldnt prolong his greatness. Just makes you appreciate the feats of Tiger even more tbh.
                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                  He's pushing for no.2 in the world. What a flop.
                                                                                                  He's very close. Mental work needed . He shot 62 on Sat. Koepka a machine . Rory will win again soon
                                                                                                  Don't think anyone said he's a flop. Like other posters have said he's acknowledged as probably the most talented golfer out there, but with that comes high expectations. He's not delivered on them in quite a while.

Comment

I'd say the obnoxious amounts of money in the game have a lot to do with lads not needing to stay as competitive for as long too. Golf has been very streaky the last decade or so. Of the multiple major winners most have done it in a very confined amount of years. Look at Koepka, Spieth, Kaymer, Padraig, Rory, Bubba, Cabrera, they may have peaked at different stages of their careers but their major wins are all confined in a very small number of years. Some of those would have been tipped to go on and dominate for years to come at the height of their peak but recent history suggests this is not the case and Rory is just another one of those who was brilliant for a while but couldnt prolong his greatness. Just makes you appreciate the feats of Tiger even more tbh.
                                                                                                    yep your not wrong with this. Add Jason Day to your list too.

Comment

Only saw this today
                                                                                                      The British foreign secretary was caught uttering the opening verse to Rudyard Kipling's The Road to Mandalay when he visited the Shwedagon Pagoda, the most ...

Comment

Rory needs a new caddy who will resist the his high risk low reward shots.

Comment

That part is garbage . Courses are monsters now also.
                                                                                                          It is not about players being better than 20 years ago. Obviously they are because of equipment etc. It is just not the case that Jack and Tiger were playing against bums and now everyone is a superstar. There is a very similar spread of majors throughout history outside of outliers like the above.

Sorry I should have spelled that out to avoid confusion for the people that are frothing at the mouth over the keyboard when someone questions Rory.

Comment

Agree with this.

Will be interesting to see where Brooks is at in 3 years time. A few years ago Jason Day was the next Tiger, then Spieth, DJ, Thomas.

Comment

It is not about players being better than 20 years ago. Obviously they are because of equipment etc. It is just not the case that Jack and Tiger were playing against bums and now everyone is a superstar. There is a very similar spread of majors throughout history outside of outliers like the above.

Sorry I should have spelled that out to avoid confusion for the people that are frothing at the mouth over the keyboard when someone questions Rory.
                                                                                                              Well take this for example: https://thegolfnewsnet.com/adamcrawf...d-1960-103938/

This not only shows the reduction in average golf scores which I'm happy enough to attribute to improvements in equipment as you say but it also shows what percentage of tournaments are won by first time winners in a given decade.

This has jumped from 16.8% in the 1960s to 28.4% in 2010s, with the change being consistently increasing era to era so unlikely an outlier.

Obviously this suggests that the disparity in the ability of players on tour has narrowed significantly over time as newcomers are closer in ability to the best players than ever before.

Nobody would say the current crop of elites are better than those of any other era but the gap in talent amongst pros has consistently narrowed over time.

Comment

Lol. In every sport bar tiddly winks physicality has moved on the game . Golf the same. Frothing is most unbecoming . You are just wrong . The physicality broke Tigers body . Hope he holds on but he's suffering and can see him throw the towel in. I'm not as big a Rory fan as you think.

Comment

Well take this for example: https://thegolfnewsnet.com/adamcrawf...d-1960-103938/

This not only shows the reduction in average golf scores which I'm happy enough to attribute to improvements in equipment as you say but it also shows what percentage of tournaments are won by first time winners in a given decade.

This has jumped from 16.8% in the 1960s to 28.4% in 2010s, with the change being consistently increasing era to era so unlikely an outlier.

Obviously this suggests that the disparity in the ability of players on tour has narrowed significantly over time as newcomers are closer in ability to the best players than ever before.

Nobody would say the current crop of elites are better than those of any other era but the gap in talent amongst pros has consistently narrowed over time.
                                                                                                                  Yeah OK maybe there is some stats pointing to an increase in first time winners. You have to take into account the money on offer now. Less barriers to play the game. Bigger populations. More courses.

There is a myriad of factors.

My point still stands that Tiger and Jack were not surrounded by bums and all today's mid level players are superstars.

There is a smaller gap between the top 100 and top 500 for sure but, if everyone was so much better why would we not have a different major winner every time? How could Tiger win a major this year playing at a fraction of how he played is his pomp?

Comment

Lol. In every sport bar tiddly winks physicality has moved on the game . Golf the same. Frothing is most unbecoming . You are just wrong . The physicality broke Tigers body . Hope he holds on but he's suffering and can see him throw the towel in. I'm not as big a Rory fan as you think.
                                                                                                                    You can't even comprehend the point we are discussing when it is spelled out to you like an infant so I give up.

Physicality has no bearing in the debate.

Comment

what a job. these guys go around a tour de france stage a few hours before the riders, and transform all the penises on the road into snails/butterflies/owls etc.

no wonder there are so many weird graffitis on the roads

Comment

Yeah OK maybe there is some stats pointing to an increase in first time winners. You have to take into account the money on offer now. Less barriers to play the game. Bigger populations. More courses.

There is a myriad of factors.

My point still stands that Tiger and Jack were not surrounded by bums and all today's mid level players are superstars.

There is a smaller gap between the top 100 and top 500 for sure but, if everyone was so much better why would we not have a different major winner every time? How could Tiger win a major this year playing at a fraction of how he played is his pomp?
                                                                                                                        But nobody said this was the case. I offered the opinion that Rory does not have the same edge on the field in terms of talent that he had when he was dominating in the earlier years of his career. Cant back this up with any robust stats but id be very surprised if they didn't back this up. Some of the young guys coming out on tour from college golf even now (Wolff, hovland etc ) are really hitting the ground running and able to compete immediately.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X