Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bit of a sidetrack but this is brilliant
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

This seems familiar but we need a giant wall to keep the wildlings out.

Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!
      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 13-12-18, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        anyone still play poker? would be curious to read up on any links for the latest push/fold strategy?
        pm incoming with hrc work

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
          pm incoming with hrc work
          Great, thanks!

Comment

I'd take a new flag. Always thought the orange was a bit gaudy.
            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
              I'd take a new flag. Always thought the orange was a bit gaudy.
              Tis our Gaudy. No new flag . No surrender .

Comment

The anthem is a national embarrassment in fairness. Paddy last and out of sight in the Six Nations every year.

I move for 'Come Out Ye Black and Tans' to replace it, as much for the jaunty nature of the tune as for the content. Also move for anyone who ever had anything to do with Ireland's Call be taken behind the shed and shot.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    It's is kinda weird that it's such a militaristic song yet the country itself (to it's credit) is neutral, non-fighting, with almost-no-army.
                    It was composed a few years before the Rising by guys who were deeply embedded in the rebellion movement with the Volunteers and the IRB. I suppose the idea of warfare and soldiery was top of mind for those guys at that time.

The reason it was actually taken on as the anthem in large part was because the theme of the Irish fighting against a foreign power sort of distracted a bit from the very recent wounds of Irish fighting Irish in the Civil War. There was a lot of hesitation at the time for fear of alienating the Unionists in the north. I guess they were hoping for a speedier resolution to partition than eventually panned out.

I get the impression that pretty much everyone thought the Soldier's Song was shite, but in the end their hand was forced by the fact that Unionists in the south kept using the lack of an official anthem as an excuse to break out God Save the King at every opportunity!

Comment

It's is kinda weird that it's such a militaristic song yet the country itself (to it's credit) is neutral, non-fighting, with almost-no-army.
                      Never been but Aussies seem a bit preturbed about the GAA draped invaders sometimes...

Comment

Also didnt Doke write the National Anthem or something like that.

Comment

Ridiculous busy semester over at last. On the plus side I think I finally have them cornered into making me permanent, and I also bagged a 250k research grant to pay some minions to do my bidding. Any craic here? Presume its Brexit central.

Comment

Got an iPhone 8 today instead of the 6s which I’ll give to my Dad.

What exactly was the upgrade in the phones? It’s the exact same size etc.. not understanding the different other than wireless charging and no headphone slot.

Comment

I think the iPhone 8 can create message board posts at twice the frequency of the older model.
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Comment

Comment

Seems to be about twice as fast, that's the only notable change. But probably a big deal for some tasks. Guess they're not really converting new people to iPhones anymore so might be just trying to extract profits with minimal upgrades as they know people in iPhone system will tend to stay with them. But then again that was what eventually screwed over Nokia.
                                    In fairness they support their phones with actual os updates for increasingly long periods (latest iOS update supports iPhone 5s which came out in 2013) . I’ve a seven and it’s bombproof without a case, will easily knock 5 years out of it , never managed much more than 2 with previous smartphones.
                                    They are also much better from a privacy perspective ( Siri is shit for a reason)

The price of the newer generation X phones is just a complete joke though. Not that people really give a shit about flagship phones anymore anyway

Comment

France doesn't fuck around. The guy has been subsequently shot dead.
                                      Call me a wuss, but i still have a problem with any 'shoot to kill' policy, and even the death penalty in general. It's not because I'm uncomfortable with an 'eye for an eye', it's more the absolute certainty that sometimes it will be the wrong person.

The Last Executioner (2004): Fernand Meysonnier is France's last executioner. Over the years, he has helped chop off the heads of 200 people. For downloads ...
                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hopefully most right-thinking people would be. France though is fairly ambivilant about shooting people.
                                            Ah, all reports are that he shot at the police first. Absolutely no problem with them killing him in that scenario.

Comment

So May was, as predicted, sent back from Brussels with a polite form of GTFO.

As you were so.

Fundamentally the UK still hasn't a fucking clue what Brexit means. The question might as well have been "do you want to jump off this wall?"

Without of course knowing how high the wall is. Or indeed what form of scary monsters might lurk on the other side.
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

As you were so.

Fundamentally the UK still hasn't a fucking clue what Brexit means. The question might as well have been "do you want to jump off this wall?"

Without of course knowing how high the wall is. Or indeed what form of scary monsters might lurk on the other side.
                                                Well the good leaders in Brussels did offer to explain what Brexit means

Comment

Not trying to revive the debate of the other day but almost everytime anything happens it reinforces my perception that she is a clown.

EDIT:

This thread is a good picture of the toughened stance mentioned above:

Last edited by Keane; 14-12-18, 10:25.

Comment

As you were so.

Brexit means brexit. What else do you need to know? Haven't you been listening?

Comment

nothing that noone didnt know but floodgates are starting to open a little
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                        I was considering the CFA's but I'm thinking FRM now. A guy I work with has both FRM passed and they seem the logical exam to take.
                                                        Out of curiosity how much (if any) weight do they hold when compared to CFA from your side?
                                                        From experience the CFA will get you kudos is most places around the world, and it’s very easy to move around with. It is almost exclusive to professional/investment side roles though. So if you’re thinking private banking, corporates (outside IR) or accounting then it’s less ubiquitous.

Can we throw in Donegal?
                                                        Ah heyore...

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                        We are not ready for re-unification. To do this properly we need to start the process now and begin to have a public discussion about what re-unification actually means. Because I don't think most people in Ireland really understand what it means.

It doesn't mean they come into our country and we go on as before with some new arrangements for the north. In reality it means a whole new constitutional settlement with new flag, anthem, parliament, police force, judiciary, civil service, army, etc.

This is a much more difficult question than most people south of the border are prepared to answer.
                                                        It would make for a very interesting time to live through. I think on the legal side in particular, despite the similar common law few people know the large differnces especially on the criminal law procedure side, which can be stark.

Any idea what happened when Singapore left the clutches of mother england on the legal front?

Even the idea of constituencies in the north would be interesting.

Comment

Ooh yeah we'd finally get a good craic at that gerrymandering that everyone else seems to enjoy so much.

Comment

Anyone got an idea where I could get access to a commercial quality cooked meat slicer and vacuum packer for an hour over the weekend or early next week?
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                              Brexit means brexit. What else do you need to know? Haven't you been listening?
                                                              Unfettered trading....secure borders....unicorns

Lots and lots of unicorns.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                Anyone got an idea where I could get access to a commercial quality cooked meat slicer and vacuum packer for an hour over the weekend or early next week?
                                                                Sounds like the Christmas party pack has arrived from Italia?

Comment

Sounds like the Christmas party pack has arrived from Italia?
                                                                  Yeah and the order is a bit messed up so I need to be able to slice up some prosciutto crudo and bresaola.

Comment

Why does it take the British so long to leave places ?

Comment

Comment

When I grow up I want to be Juncker
                                                                        Think this every time I see him in action

Comment

Think this every time I see him in action
                                                                          Everyone I know who works in the Commission has the same objective in life.

Comment

Is everyone at an xmas party?

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                              Is everyone at an xmas party?
                                                                              I was, until 20 minutes ago. Dublin town very busy. Have two cheapo tickets to Aviva match tomorrow, who knows will I be able to attend!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                I was, until 20 minutes ago. Dublin town very busy. Have two cheapo tickets to Aviva match tomorrow, who knows will I be able to attend!
                                                                                Weather forcast suggests sofa time

A complex storm system is approaching Ireland tonight and will bring heavy rainfalls to most of the country from around midnight to late Saturday. Totals of 30 to 50 mm rainfall possible, heaviest expected to be roughly Cork-Kerry to Limerick-Clare to Athlone-Sligo into Ulster but other pockets of locally similar totals in west Connacht and locally around higher terrain in the southeast. Some river flooding may develop, but the greater concern would be for poor driving conditions at times on major routes due to surface water accumulations and hydroplaning potential. Would avoid longer distance travel on Saturday if possible, or exercise extreme caution due to these conditions. Road spray combined with some strong wind gusts could be a hazard also. As to strong winds with this storm, they will certainly develop around its southern flanks but there is some question as to whether those very strong gusts will hit any portions of the Irish coastline or swing around more towards south Wales which is definitely going to get hit hard with gusts to 140 km/hr possible. Personally I would avoid any ferry crossings tomorrow if possible even if they go ahead. Rough seas and difficult docking on the Welsh side in particular can be expected. The morning update may allow for more precision about wind potential in Ireland but I think the best idea at this point is to expect some risk of strong to damaging wind gusts with the southwest to southeast coastal areas most at risk. The stronger winds with this complex system appear to be following behind the low pressure rather than ahead of it as is often the case, which means that the strongest gusts would be from a westerly direction towards late afternoon and evening, but if it were to strengthen rapidly then very strong south winds could develop at the same time ahead of the trough (as I am expecting will be the case for south Wales).

Comment

This is something that's been on my mind for a long time.

Finally got it off my chest tonight and had a spat with Dobby about it.

Why the fuck are GAA colour combos so fucking depressingly miserable?

Why do they mimic convent school gabberdeens?

Misery. I think it's a big part of why I've always hated it.
                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                    Yeah and the order is a bit messed up so I need to be able to slice up some prosciutto crudo and bresaola.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                      This is something that's been on my mind for a long time.

Finally got it off my chest tonight and had a spat with Dobby about it.

Why the fuck are GAA colour combos so fucking depressingly miserable?

Why do they mimic convent school gabberdeens?

Misery. I think it's a big part of why I've always hated it.
                                                                                      saw this on twitter
                                                                                      I think it's a reach tbh
                                                                                      a massive one.
                                                                                      Carlow is miserableness personified but have a pretty jaunty combo, Mayo have every reason to be miserable but have a solid design.
                                                                                      Also, it's a sad reflection on ya regurgitating articles from sports joe from 2 years ago
                                                                                      https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/ranking...w-county-64079

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                        saw this on twitter
                                                                                        I think it's a reach tbh
                                                                                        a massive one.
                                                                                        Carlow is miserableness personified but have a pretty jaunty combo, Mayo have every reason to be miserable but have a solid design.
                                                                                        Also, it's a sad reflection on ya regurgitating articles from sports joe from 2 years ago
                                                                                        https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/ranking...w-county-64079
                                                                                        Ah will ye shtopp.

I think it's actually the designs rather than the colours though.

How can a Brazil shirt look sexy but a Kerry, Meath or Donegal one look like guilty misery?

Comment

Aha, that makes sense.

Comment

I have a cool Portuguese shirt. The Mayo fans love it.
                                                                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 15-12-18, 00:15. Reason: shirt not shit

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                              How can a Brazil shirt look sexy but a Kerry, Meath or Donegal one look like guilty misery?
                                                                                              Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                              Because one has a business model which has shirt sales as a significant part of it and the other doesn't.
                                                                                              Whilst I wouldn't argue with GABs business acumen, I suspect there may be a further reason.

Comment

that's Argentina m8

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                  7/7?
                                                                                                  6/6

Chucky air law

Comment

What fucking genius put the Leinster and Munster games on at the same time today? Still, cracking days sport.c,

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                      What fucking genius put the Leinster and Munster games on at the same time today? Still, cracking days sport.c,
                                                                                                      And in the middle of a storm

Comment

...

Comment

Important question: wife lost her passport in Dublin last night. How does she get her flight back today? (Irish passport). Help greatly appreciated!
                                                                                                          Irish or Russian?

Comment

...

Comment

Death or serious illness usually.
                                                                                                              Otherwise its 3 days afaik

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

They wouldn't just issue a temporary paper giving permission to depart? That's all she needs. It's passport card lost. Have the actual passport here in France.
                                                                                                                    That might change things. I'm not familiar with passport cards. You need to send up Eamo signal

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                      Can't say I'm enormously looking forward to going to the Leinster game. Weather poxy already and forecast to be much worse.

Comment

n

You can go to London without a passport but Lodon France will be a problem...

OK who fancies putting Mrs Hitch up for the weekend?

Comment

You seem pretty eager to get her home Hitch. I take it you have the kids with you.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X