This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Allez Les Verts View Post
    ah i was just trying to make life easy for you! Richie's method is fine, and is the traditional method if you've got all those fresh herbs handy.

re little nibbles for the game, cheese goujere are delicious (little choux pastry cheese balls, YUM)
    They sound like the sort of thing I want alright, I've been trying to extend myself a bit in the kitchen lately and haven't made choux pastry before so this sounds ideal. TYTY

Comment

This looks class:

Anyone know where one might be able to get pork mince of the sort mentioned or would it be as easy to just season one's own?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
        This looks class:

Anyone know where one might be able to get pork mince of the sort mentioned or would it be as easy to just season one's own?
        I'm not sure where to get Italian sausage but have seen it used in lasagne and meatball recipes. Would be interested to see if it is available anywhere
        The smarter you play the luckier you'll be
        MTT Calender 2015

Comment

So the missus is pregnant and 5 mins after what seemed a baffling argument I realised I hadnt fed her yet today.
          a quick rummage in a kitchen threw up naught but the bare essentials but I made do
          I present
          apple, ham, and gouda grilled cheese sandwich
          ingredients
          *4 slices of bread. I imagine a decent sourdough but be great but i had 4 slices (and a heel) of aldi toastie bread.
          * 4 slices of ham. Brannan's. Not familiar with the make, suspect aldi again
          * 4 lumps of smoked gouda, had a lump in the back of the fridge, unsure of origin.
          * butter. Kerrygold, none of your kissy lips fancy trousers stuff. Softened or in normalspeak out of the fridge. Who stores their butter in a fridge, animals.
          * apple. It was red. and crunchy. I suspect apple is enough here

Arrange on unbuttered bread as follows
          1 slice cheese
          half sliced apple
          2 slices cooked ham
          1 slice cheese

once its made ( I know making this sans butter seems wrong, butter goes one the inside it's how we were reared, but bear with me) butter the outside of one the slices
          place it butter side down on a heated non stick pan. butter other side while waiting.
          after 4 mins (or when 1st side is golden brown) flip over and grill for 2 mins.
          Place saucepan on top to compress toastie goodness while cooking
          remove saucepan after 1 min
          butter outside of sandwich again
          Place on plate and retreat safe distance whilst wife gorges.
          Make one for yourself and make note to take picture of creation for future reference or for evidence of culinary genius.
          Forget and eat as soon as sandwich is made.

Fin.
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
            So the missus is pregnant and 5 mins after what seemed a baffling argument I realised I hadnt fed her yet today.
            I laughed at this part, lethal combo pregnant and hungry. lol
            MTT Calender 2015

Comment

My sister wants a new griddle pan for xmas, do I need to spend any time picking one out or are they all much of a muchness?

Comment

Thanks lads. They're only cheap so think I might pick one up. If it ends up only used once like Dom's it's not the end of the world.
                Finally got a slow cooker. Any favourites?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  Finally got a slow cooker. Any favourites?
                  Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
                  airport, lol

Comment

Have a look here Denny:

Comment

made corned beef in the slow cooker on sunday. Tasted great but texture was v chewy. Think maybe I had it on high for too long
                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                        Is that true with the 'wine you would actually drink'?
                        Restaurants use boxed shit, the chefs who spout 'wine you would drink' use boxed shit, lower end of dacent is acceptable for home cooking

Comment

Put black pepper on your strawberries

Comment

What are people having for paleo-esque breakfasts these days?

I was making the muffins that Emmet (I think) posted before, but grew tired of them. At the mo I just skip breakfast or eat a protein bar but my nurse friend doesn't approve and suggests eating some real food. Ideally looking for something that's short on prep.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 'breakfast most important meal of the day' shit has long been acknowledged to be a load of wheat-farmer horseshit along the same lines as the food pyramid?

i.e. if you find eating in the morning a struggle, just maybe don't bother.

Comment

I was making the muffins that Emmet (I think) posted before, but grew tired of them. At the mo I just skip breakfast or eat a protein bar but my nurse friend doesn't approve and suggests eating some real food. Ideally looking for something that's short on prep.
                                eggs and bacon

Comment

Paleo is out!

Whole foods, veg based is in!

Not Vegan like Tar though, them fuckers live on sugar, tofu and smugness

If you cant eat, pint of water and a banana/apple!

Comment

Not paleo, but this is really really good, I use dried apricots, hazelnuts and pecans...

My healthy homemade granola is a nutrient-rich treat that you can make in under 25 minutes. Unlike store-bought brands, it’s low in sugar but rich in flavor.

Fuck paleo, paleoman brownbread by 30.
                                    Last edited by Lazare; 20-04-17, 21:58.
                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Recommendations for wine pairings for prawn dish. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Secondhand View Post
                                        Recommendations for wine pairings for prawn dish. Thanks in advance.
                                        A reisling for me.
                                        Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        Sancerre.
                                        I know it's treated as nectar of the gods and all. But I just find it so sickly sweet. Maybe for dessert, but not with food for me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Secondhand View Post
                                            Thanks for the advice guys.
                                            you can go with a good Chablis as well or a pouilly fumé

Comment

I am making a Unicorn frappiccino...tomorrow

You can't get them In Ireland ...they are just so ME and I NEED one..so I am going to try making my own ..

Coffee chain Starbucks is known for its Frappuccinos and blended drinks - but now they also have ...

That is just me in a cup!

I am gonna try this version I actually think hers might taste better than the starbucks one
                                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by Guest; 23-04-17, 02:02.

Comment

I have a joint of back bacon I need to cook - should I boil it or roast it or some combination?

Have spuds, cabbage and turnip to do as well which would all benefit from salty bacon water so I'm leaning towards boiling...

Comment

I have a joint of back bacon I need to cook - should I boil it or roast it or some combination?

Have spuds, cabbage and turnip to do as well which would all benefit from salty bacon water so I'm leaning towards boiling...
                                                  I usually Parboil it (missus says 20mins per pound plus 20 mins on top) because like you say, the cabbage is better cooked in the bacon water. Smother it in some combination of honey, brown sugar, dijon mustard. I normally use honey and dijon mustard, missus is a fan of the brown sugar. Both are good. (Don't use English mustard, too strong) and bake it for for 30 mins at 180c or until it's cooked to your liking.

Would have to be roast spuds surely? Parboil them also, put some oil in a baking tray and heat it up in the oven before popping the spuds in. When you turn them during cooking you end up with a slightly crunchy outside and a floury inside cos of the heated oil.

Lump the cabbage and turnip in the salt water.

Hungry now. Enjoy.

Comment

I've never had roast potatoes with bacon I don't think. Always boiled or mashed. Method for the bacon sounds bang on, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                      I usually Parboil it (missus says 20mins per pound plus 20 mins on top) because like you say, the cabbage is better cooked in the bacon water. Smother it in some combination of honey, brown sugar, dijon mustard. I normally use honey and dijon mustard, missus is a fan of the brown sugar. Both are good. (Don't use English mustard, too strong) and bake it for for 30 mins at 180c or until it's cooked to your liking.

Would have to be roast spuds surely? Parboil them also, put some oil in a baking tray and heat it up in the oven before popping the spuds in. When you turn them during cooking you end up with a slightly crunchy outside and a floury inside cos of the heated oil.

Lump the cabbage and turnip in the salt water.

Hungry now. Enjoy.
                                                      That turned out brilliantly. The mustard and dijon glaze was 10/10.

Comment

That turned out brilliantly. The mustard and dijon glaze was 10/10.
                                                        A favourite of ours, we'd have it once a month at least. Glad it went down well

Comment

Anyone suggest something easy and worthwhile to do with a celeriac?

I'm going to try and commit to fish for dinner once a week. I've never really cooked it much at home so it will be a new departure. Have a couple of cod fillets for this evening. I was planning to just pan fry but I see baked/roasted recipes on Good Food as well. Anyone any tips or suggestions?

I'm thinking I could possibly make a remoulade with the celeriac and some beetroot to go with the cod...

Comment

Anyone suggest something easy and worthwhile to do with a celeriac?

I'm going to try and commit to fish for dinner once a week. I've never really cooked it much at home so it will be a new departure. Have a couple of cod fillets for this evening. I was planning to just pan fry but I see baked/roasted recipes on Good Food as well. Anyone any tips or suggestions?

I'm thinking I could possibly make a remoulade with the celeriac and some beetroot to go with the cod...
                                                            never made it personally, but always enjoy celeriac puree when served.

re Cod, pan fry, bake, papillote, done properly, they're all delicious!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - this sounds suitably easy

Comment

Celeriac Mash is proper yum, lovely onion-y hint goes great with beef
                                                                Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I've made a few of these in the last few days and believe it or not they actually come out really well.

Comment

Spaghetti aglio e olio
                                                                    Inspired by this...

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I set off to seduce the wife and father in law with some quick and easy sexy cooking.

Ingredients:
                                                                    Spaghetti
                                                                    Bulb of garlic
                                                                    decent olive oil
                                                                    pancetta (the little packets from lidl are fine)
                                                                    Fresh chilli
                                                                    Fresh parsley(I've a few of the potted plants on the windowsill)

Step one : Prep
                                                                    Bring a pot of HEAVILY salted water to the boil
                                                                    Finely slice 5 or 6 cloves of garlic
                                                                    slice chilli in two lengthwise, deseed, then julienne into batons
                                                                    then dice the batons
                                                                    add a generous glug of olive oil to a pan and heat
                                                                    Step 2: The cook
                                                                    Put the spaghetti in the water for 3-5 mins
                                                                    add the garlic and pancetta to the pan until pancetta darkens and edges of garlic brown
                                                                    while waiting dice up parsley leaves
                                                                    add in chilli
                                                                    drain pasta and add pasta
                                                                    season well with salt and black pepper
                                                                    mix well, really well
                                                                    add a decent ladle of pasta water to pan to thicken
                                                                    mix again
                                                                    add parsely
                                                                    one last sexy mix

serve and bask in the glory
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

3 - 5 mins??

I'm normally cooking spaghetti for 13 mins.

When you add that pasta water are you cooking a little longer or just a quick mix?

Haven't watched the vid yet

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                        3 - 5 mins??

I'm normally cooking spaghetti for 13 mins.

When you add that pasta water are you cooking a little longer or just a quick mix?

Haven't watched the vid yet
                                                                        Using the starchy water from the pasta is genuinely a life changing addition to your cooking arsenal. It's helps bind sauces to pasta like you wouldn't believe.
                                                                        As for cooking time 3-5 mins at a rolling boil is plenty and it'll cook a little further in the oil.

Comment

Looking forward to trying it. Love simple pasta dishes. Chopped flat leaf parsley is manna from heaven on those dishes.

Yeah, I often use the water to loosen up a sauce. A cool trick.

Comment

Looking forward to trying it. Love simple pasta dishes. Chopped flat leaf parsley is manna from heaven on those dishes.

Yeah, I often use the water to loosen up a sauce. A cool trick.
                                                                            Don't skimp on the garlic or the salt are the biggest tips imo

Comment

Complete waste of good pancetta cooking it with the garlic like that IMO.

slow cook the pancetta until it is well rendered and crispy, reserve and cook the garlic in the fat, at the end when everything else is mixed together sprinkle the crispy pancetta on top.

Also missing large amounts of Parmesan there
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I also completly forgot the squeeze of lemon
                                                                                *facepalm

Comment

I've made a few of these in the last few days and believe it or not they actually come out really well.

Surely it can’t be that easy? Is it actually nice?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                    Surely it can’t be that easy? Is it actually nice?
                                                                                    They're surprisingly good

Comment

Love simple pasta dishes. Chopped flat leaf parsley is manna from heaven on those dishes.
                                                                                      This pasta dish is quite simple and easily adaptable, sauce is really good. Tend to use cooking cream, tried it with creme fraiche and just wasn't the same. I use fresh tagliatelle from any supermarket and also reheats very well. Keep meaning to try it with chicken and mushroom but always tend to go with the prawns

A Creamy Garlic Prawn Pasta with a garlic infused silky creamy sauce and plump prawns. It's luscious and indulgent but not ridiculously rich. Super quick!

I have made this plenty of times, sauce goes really well with mushrooms + shallots, either on their own or as well as the prawns.
                                                                                      I tend to cook the prawns separate in a hot pan after marinading for 20 mins in some olive oil, garlic and add a splash of white wine about 3/4 the way through cooking
                                                                                      MTT Calender 2015

Comment

I made some plain flatbreads and garlic and chili flatbreads for a curry from a similar recipe and too was surprised how easy they were
                                                                                        MTT Calender 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Nuttkickker View Post
                                                                                          This pasta dish is quite simple and easily adaptable, sauce is really good. Tend to use cooking cream, tried it with creme fraiche and just wasn't the same. I use fresh tagliatelle from any supermarket and also reheats very well. Keep meaning to try it with chicken and mushroom but always tend to go with the prawns

A Creamy Garlic Prawn Pasta with a garlic infused silky creamy sauce and plump prawns. It's luscious and indulgent but not ridiculously rich. Super quick!

I have made this plenty of times, sauce goes really well with mushrooms + shallots, either on their own or as well as the prawns.
                                                                                          I tend to cook the prawns separate in a hot pan after marinading for 20 mins in some olive oil, garlic and add a splash of white wine about 3/4 the way through cooking
                                                                                          Cooked this last night, went down exceedingly well at home. Thanks for this. I’ll have to add my own recipe now...

Comment

Spicy chicken pesto pasta

This is a dish we cook regularly but it took numerous variations to get it right. It’s a nice dish for those who like a bit of kick.

Ingredients (serves 2 hungry people)

All available in Tesco

1 packet of fresh fusili pasta
                                                                                            500g of chicken breast, diced
                                                                                            1 packet of fresh basil pesto (the small flat one not the jar)
                                                                                            1 packet of spinach
                                                                                            Piri piri seasoning
                                                                                            1 orange pepper
                                                                                            1 packet of scallions
                                                                                            1 packet of piccolo tomatoes
                                                                                            1 pack of half fat creme fraiche
                                                                                            1/2 chicken stock cube
                                                                                            1 packet of Parmesan

Instructions
                                                                                            SPOILER
                                                                                            First cook off the chicken at a high temperature until it’s crispy and light brown, careful not to dump all the chicken in at once as it stews in the water otherwise

Then add in the peppers, scallions and half of the tomatoes and let them sizzle until they’re a bit softer.

Add in the stock (to prep; add about 25-50ml of water to dissolve half a stock cube in a cup until lumps are gone)

Then stir in the pesto and half of the crepe fraiche and keep stirring. Turn the heat down to about 3/4.

At this stage put the pasta into boiling water, it should only take 2-3mins if you buy the fresh stuff.

Turn down the heat on the chicken pan and pour all the spinach in (just 1kin before serving, no more) and toss the spinach around: the heat of the sauce will wilt the spinach naturally.

Serve over the pasta finishing with generous Parmesan

Comment

Glad to see a mini-revival of this thread!

Comment

Home made Guacamole.

2 ripe avocados mashed to a pure
                                                                                                3 large cloves garlic chopped fine
                                                                                                1 lemon (juice of)

Mix in a bowl & serve..... simples & fab with tortillas or as a side.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                                                                                                  Home made Guacamole.

2 ripe avocados mashed to a pure
                                                                                                  3 large cloves garlic chopped fine
                                                                                                  1 lemon (juice of)

Mix in a bowl & serve..... simples & fab with tortillas or as a side.
                                                                                                  Not complete without a packet of de-stalked and chopped finely coriander, and deseeded and blended piccolo cheery tomatoes!
                                                                                                  Last edited by Goodluck2me; 13-02-19, 17:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                    Not complete without a packet of de-stalked and chopped finely coriander, and deseeded and blended baby tomatoes!
                                                                                                    Agree mine is fairly basic... but delicious

Must give your suggestion for added ingredients a shot

Comment

I guess everyone a different version of Guacamole but you can't really go wrong. Mine is:

2x well ripened avocados.
                                                                                                      1x small red onion, finely chopped.
                                                                                                      1x ripe tomato, finely chopped.
                                                                                                      1x small red chilli, finely chopped (remove seeds if you like it less spicy).
                                                                                                      Handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped.
                                                                                                      Juice of one lime.
                                                                                                      A generous amount of salt, adjust per your own taste.

With some plain or lightly salted tortilla chips and its my go to when I have mates over for a few beers. Sub the avocado with a mango and you're onto a winning salsa too! You may want to tune down the chili/salt a little though.

Comment

One of my regular mid week dinners, it's fast to make (25 minutes from start to shoving it into your gob) and is rather tasty.

Put brown basmati rice into a pot, cover with boiling water and a good dash of soy sauce - takes 25 minutes to cook.

After 10 minutes, put salmon darnes (1 per person) into an over proof dish, drizzle soy sauce over them and season with salt and pepper. Into the over at 180 degrees (fan assisted) - takes 15 minutes.

Now prepare the stir fry. Staples are finely chopped garlic, ginger, red chilli and white onion. Veg is normally 3/4 from red pepper, asparagus, tender stem broccoli, baby sweet corn, mange tout and carrots. All veg cut into similar sized batons.

Heat some rapeseed oil in a wok or frying pan and sweat off the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli for a few minutes, season with salt and pepper and a good dash of soy sauce.

Add in the veg and again, season plus soy sauce, plus a good lug of fish sauce and rice wine vinegar

Stir fry the veg until cooked which should come together at the same time as the rice and salmon.

Flake the salmon into the veg, drain the rice, mix it into the veg and give it all another good lug of soy sauce, give it all a good mix together.

Serve up and drizzle some sesame oil over it before getting stuck in.

Comment

That sounds real good Brian.

Comment

Discovered a really good breakfast a while back.

Ticks the most important box. 3 mins from thinking about it to having it in your belly. Ticks the tasty as fook box too.

Comment

Glad to see a mini-revival of this thread!
                                                                                                              Just checked there, thread is almost 8 years old.

Holy fuck. Where is time going.

Comment

Pasta Aglio e Olio

Ingredients:
                                                                                                                Spaghetti
                                                                                                                Bulb of garlic
                                                                                                                decent olive oil
                                                                                                                Fresh chilli
                                                                                                                Fresh parsley (about 2 quid a packet)
                                                                                                                Fresh lemon

then dice the batons
                                                                                                                add the garlic and pancetta to the pan until pancetta darkens and edges of garlic brown
                                                                                                                while waiting dice up parsley leaves. Fold leaves together to make it easier.
                                                                                                                add in chilli
                                                                                                                drain pasta and add pasta (keep pasta water in glass/jar)
                                                                                                                mix well, really well (use tongs or something)
                                                                                                                add a decent ladle of pasta water to pan to thicken sauce
                                                                                                                mix again
                                                                                                                add parsley
                                                                                                                Squeeze half a lemon over the lot.
                                                                                                                one last sexy mix

Comment

A dish I make often, peanut butter stew!

Fry some onions and garlic in a pot, add a tin of tomatoes, a bag of spinach, a few big spoons of peanut butter - more the better! Peel and cube potatoes quite small and add them*, tin of chickpeas (plus a second can if you want - depending on how much you are making, in this case I used different beans for the second can to mix it up but I usually just use chickpeas), fill the pot up with water and let it sit on a really low heat until it looks done/potatoes are soft (like 30-60 mins depending). If you like truffle oil add some to taste or simply stir it in. I usually don't, this was the first time.

*you can parboil the potatoes or stick them in a microwave to make this meal way faster, the slowest thing by far is waiting form the potatoes to cook.

The amounts really don't matter in this and I use whatever veg I want, you just need to have peanut butter and water and to reduce it and it will taste delicious. I didn't wait for the food to cool down but when you do the sauce becomes way thicker and like a curry, even nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                    Pasta Aglio e Olio

Ingredients:
                                                                                                                    Spaghetti
                                                                                                                    Bulb of garlic
                                                                                                                    decent olive oil
                                                                                                                    Fresh chilli
                                                                                                                    Fresh parsley (about 2 quid a packet)
                                                                                                                    Fresh lemon

then dice the batons
                                                                                                                    while waiting dice up parsley leaves. Fold leaves together to make it easier.
                                                                                                                    add in chilli
                                                                                                                    drain pasta and add pasta (keep pasta water in glass/jar)
                                                                                                                    mix well, really well (use tongs or something)
                                                                                                                    add a decent ladle of pasta water to pan to thicken sauce
                                                                                                                    mix again
                                                                                                                    add parsley
                                                                                                                    Squeeze half a lemon over the lot.
                                                                                                                    one last sexy mix

Will give that a go, ever try it with chorizo instead of Pancetta...?

Comment

Any good ones recently?

Comment

Hats off (seriously) to you lads and your cooking prowess. I am about six levels below "basic" in my cooking skills, luckily my wife is a super cook so no need for me to get better - until she fucks me out of course, in which case I will revert to this thread!!!

Anyway, the only point I wanted to make, and I'm sure this is a default for all in here: get the best make of chefs' knives, and the sharpest and best quality you can afford, plus a really good knife sharpener! This will change your life! You are all possibly going "tell us something we don't know"! at this stage - but it's something we never paid much attention to until my brother, who lives largely alone in deepest Surrey, came for a visit a few years ago. He was genuinely and majorly horrified at the (in hindsight) shite cutlery we were using when cooking, especially kitchen knives. He promptly went out and bought us some good knives, and a good knife sharpener; our lives have been transformed! Well, kinda, but you know what I mean! Best "cooking" tip we ever got. Bon appetite!

Comment

Time for this thread to make a comeback with all the food posted in BBV recently and us all with plenty of time to cook now. Anyone made anything interesting other than what was already posted?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X