Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Yeah it may be better to let a wimmin choose. Winter people generally wear flat caps, toque or knitted beanies

I don't really know more because of beanie love tbh, its more suitable for people with stubble than baby face but generally there are always ones that look good.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
        A Navy two piece IMO. Get it fitted/altered as needed.

Very versatile and you don't look like a 3 piece hipster trying too hard. A clean crisp well fitted shirt, block colour tie with a bit of texture, good belt and solid shoes matching the belt. Black is easiest and most versatile. Make sure the shoes are gleaming.

Light grey works better in summer but is a bitch for picking up dirt and hard to get the right coat to go with in spring/autumn and just looks wrong in winter.

My 2nd suit colour after navy would be charcoal grey. A 3 piece only suits the slimmer gent and at the cheaper end of the market you risk looking like a Conor McGregor wannabe.

Edit to add: if your looking for attention and are in good nick go for an Italian slim cut blue suit. It can really pop if you are a younger gent in trim condition.
        Where would you look in Ireland for one of these Italian slim cut blue suits and how much are you looking at? Need a wedding suit

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Serious hat question (despite the inevitable suggestions to wear a beret while smoking a cigar and growing a Poirot mustache).

What's a good hat to wear in a bit of heat?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
            Where would you look in Ireland for one of these Italian slim cut blue suits and how much are you looking at? Need a wedding suit
            Sorry I missed this post.

Go to the Italian suit shop near James Herren on Dawson street. Cost ~350 for a decent one.
            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Serious hat question (despite the inevitable suggestions to wear a beret while smoking a cigar and growing a Poirot mustache).

What's a good hat to wear in a bit of heat?

Don't like baseball hats due to lack of personal chaviness.

Is there a decent website where you can see a decent collection of somewhat stylish summer hats?

I guess hats outside the summer are a big fashion no-no unless you are 90+ years old?

Quite like hats, but never really considered them before.
              I have a kangaroo skin Akubra that I bought in Australia more than a decade ago. Does the job on really hot days. Actually had it in France - should have given it to you as I won't need it for another 12 months!

This sorta yoke. Screams 'manly' and 'fashion-blind' imo.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

In retrospect I was a bit harsh with review of Tailors Mark, the shirt is the slimmest fitting one I have. I fired in another adjusted order on their last sale, hopefully will have everything perfected by the time the next Groupon comes around (that'll do until I lose the rest of the beer belly and invest in something more substantial!).

My problem now is that everything else I wear feels like a billowing mess. Would anyone recommend any particular tailor in Dublin ahead of the rest?
                Last edited by Denny Crane; 02-08-15, 22:08.

Comment

Not sure if anybody is hip enough to wear cons here but thoughts on redesign of the new converse?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    Not sure if anybody is hip enough to wear cons here but thoughts on redesign of the new converse?
                    Have always had at least one pair of converse for about the last 20 years.

I like the sound of the below. Often have sore feet after wearing them all day and done a good bit of walking

A sole liner has been added to cushion the wearer's feet and provide arch support using Nike's Lunarlon foam material

Comment

Harris Tweed Watches... Up there with Crocs imo.

Comment

Got another Tailors Mark in their last 50% sale, arrived just in time for adjustments to get another one in this weekend's sale. Going to be hard to go back to OTR shirts after this, just a pity that don't offer better materials.

Also time to dump all my socks again and buy 20x pairs of the same colour. I presume V has some in depth research on the ultimate brand to go for?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Got another Tailors Mark in their last 50% sale, arrived just in time for adjustments to get another one in this weekend's sale. Going to be hard to go back to OTR shirts after this, just a pity that don't offer better materials.

Also time to dump all my socks again and buy 20x pairs of the same colour. I presume V has some in depth research on the ultimate brand to go for?
                          I think poplin is their nicest fabric by far. Must grab a few shirts later, the groupon offers seem to have dried up.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint. I just batch buy in M&S and ruthlessly dump them when they lose shape. Simon Crompton had a good article in socks but they were £50 a pop and I couldn't justify that right now!

The new fabrics from tailors mark are better but if you want to push the Boat out go Smyth & Gibson. The free recuff and re collar make them good value and you can check out their excellent range of fabrics in BT.
                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Sorry to disappoint. I just batch buy in M&S and ruthlessly dump them when they lose shape. Simon Crompton had a good article in socks but they were £50 a pop and I couldn't justify that right now!

The new fabrics from tailors mark are better but if you want to push the Boat out go Smyth & Gibson. The free recuff and re collar make them good value and you can check out their excellent range of fabrics in BT.
                              Makes the pope's socks look cheap

Once I lose the rest of the beer belly I'll push the boat out, TM will do in the mean time!

Comment

Thought my 16e socks were outrageous. Now that I have gone bjorn borg for other undergarments it's hard to go back.

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                Have always had at least one pair of converse for about the last 20 years.

I like the sound of the below. Often have sore feet after wearing them all day and done a good bit of walking

A sole liner has been added to cushion the wearer's feet and provide arch support using Nike's Lunarlon foam material
                                Yeah i can't wait to try them out, I love cons but they are sole destroying, feet in bits walking any distance.

Finally unboxed this bad boy

Comment

Hemmed and hawed over buying this, it's a completely unjustifiable, unnecessary purchase but I had posted in the old BBV nearly 7 years ago that I always wanted this specific model. Got it today.

Last edited by Denny Crane; 02-10-15, 17:23.

Comment

Money clips, anyone use them or know of any good ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                      Money clips, anyone use them or know of any good ones?
                                      Used to keep one when I played a lot of live poker. Have since been using this wallet over a year now and happy to recommend it. If you carry plenty of cash it's not suitable. Skip to about 2 minutes for a proper look.

Comment

Welcome to the Omega club DC! The back of that is a thing of beauty.

Comment

7 years is some wait! Enjoy! 41 or 36?
                                          very nice, I have a thing for blue faces. One of these is next:
                                          SPOILER

Todays purchase for me was:

Need a good rain jacket, any suggestions?
                                          So far thinking of Patagonia torrentshell, Penfield Gibson or something from rains.
                                          Also umbrella thinking fulton. Was there some fancy umbrella site posted here before?
                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 28-08-15, 09:31.

Comment

7 years is some wait!.
                                            I didn't realise it was that long until I checked, was just on the "I wouldn't mind one of those some day" list, had to be cajoled into buying it in the end.

Enjoy! 41 or 36?
                                            very nice, I have a thing for blue faces.
                                            Man-sized

Yeah always thought blue > black personally, but I suppose it depends on the person

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            Welcome to the Omega club DC! The back of that is a thing of beauty.
                                            Is that a sub-group of the HHE?

Comment

Picked up the new cons, sexy as fook. Finally cushioning in cons:

SPOILER

Went for a Rains waterproof jacket and got another for a friend:
                                              (cba waiting for a penfield to be back in stock)

SPOILER

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-08-15, 09:07.

Comment

Sorry I missed this post.

Go to the Italian suit shop near James Herren on Dawson street. Cost ~350 for a decent one.
                                                Sound,heading up this week have a look around,will call in there. Worth checking out Louis Copelands?

Comment

I think poplin is their nicest fabric by far. Must grab a few shirts later, the groupon offers seem to have dried up.
                                                  I got a couple in that 1/2 price sale - see the prices have jacked up massively since then.

Top price now €182 per shirt (from €136). Chunky and makes them poor value in future, barring the occasional groupon deal.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                    Sound,heading up this week have a look around,will call in there. Worth checking out Louis Copelands?
                                                    Yeah it's worth a look. Can be pricey and I don't always find their cheaper suits particularly impressive but no harm in looking. Don't let yourself be railroaded regardless where you go.

Comment

Yeah it's worth a look. Can be pricey and I don't always find their cheaper suits particularly impressive but no harm in looking. Don't let yourself be railroaded regardless where you go.
                                                      Ah yeah I've got back up, rarely walk go to buy clothes without,I suffer from debilitating buyers remorse when left to my own devices.

Comment

In trouble already,went to Copelands 1st and the crafty bastards got me straight into a blue Canali. #prayformywallet

Comment

So I need to bite the bullet and trade in my current blazer/sport coats - whats the difference who knows.

Will be looking to pick up 1 but might go for 2 if I see 2 I like at the same time.

Has anything changed in styles and any tips on what is currently in. I dont want anything too tweedy and gentleman farmer. A small bit is ok I guess.

1 smart one that I can wear to funerals etc and one more casual for dinners and pubs and what not is what I running with at the moment with both pretty interchangable.

Comment

Some use you lads are when V is off on baby duty. Picked up one in Louis Copland and a more casual type in Ted Baker.

Happy out now and was surprisingly painless for a change.

Comment

Realised the other day that I hadn't applied the 50% discount to my order last month at Tailor's Mark. I think my payment didn't go through the first time and I forgot to add it the second time. I emailed them chancing my arm but not really expecting much but fair play to them they're giving me the discount for the guts of 200 quid.

Comment

Last batch of shirts haven't arrived, if I buy a voucher with this weekend's code do you have to use it all in one order or can you carry the balance?

Comment

Last batch of shirts haven't arrived, if I buy a voucher with this weekend's code do you have to use it all in one order or can you carry the balance?
                                                                  I got mine too, colour blindness struck quite badly though - wife pissed herself laughing when she saw this

what colour would you say this was?

Comment

I got mine too, colour blindness struck quite badly though - wife pissed herself laughing when she saw this

what colour would you say this was?

Green? Seriously you gave Mrs RDIII an open goal with that one. It's a bit of a culchie look in fairness.

Comment

Green? Seriously you gave Mrs RDIII an open goal with that one. It's a bit of a culchie look in fairness.
                                                                      I thought it was a restrained brown myself

Wonder if I could scam them into doing a return, it is grouped under brown but is very much green. I'll give it a lash now.

Comment

My email basically reads as 'I am a fuckwit, will ya let me off?'

I have bought 11 shirts off them to date so the answer should be Yes, even though it's entirely my own fault.

Comment

Sure if you can't tell what colour it is, what matter.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                            Sure if you can't tell what colour it is, what matter.

I am sensitive to the mockery of others

Comment

My email basically reads as 'I am a fuckwit, will ya let me off?'

I have bought 11 shirts off them to date so the answer should be Yes, even though it's entirely my own fault.
                                                                              fair fucks imo

Hello Raoul,

Many thanks for providing us with a photo of your shirt as requested.

Please find below a voucher code which will entitle you to a replacement shirt.

Voucher code: xxxxxxxx
                                                                              Now to purchase the most expensive shirt they have

Comment

My last two shirts finally arrived. Quite happy with them other than for the fact I made a mistake in copying the design and now my inner collar and cuffs are inexplicably blue on grey and purple shirts

I went for Gallarate and Civitavecchia for the fabrics and they're substantially nicer than what I had before.
                                                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-09-15, 16:10.

Comment

What did you actually say to them? i find this colour unbecoming can I return this shirt that only fits me?
                                                                                  lols. Anyway some companies are great for stuff like this and that's what gets them return business, fair play.

Get some pix up here lads

Comment

My last two shirts finally arrived. Quite happy with them other than for the fact I made a mistake in copying the design and now my inner collar and cuffs are inexplicably blue on grey and purple shirts

I went for Gallarate and Civitavecchia for the fabrics, and they're substantially nicer than what I had before.
                                                                                    I have some vouchers to spend so I must give those fabrics a spin. Seriously considering buying a few new Smyth and Gibson shirts as well.

Comment

I went for Gallarate and Civitavecchia for the fabrics, and they're substantially nicer than what I had before.
                                                                                      Are they fabrics or colours? Sound more like colours.

Took me a while but I worked out the hierarchy of fabrics is:
                                                                                      1. Poplin
                                                                                      2. Tweed

Everything else

Comment

^ They're weaves

Comment

I have some vouchers to spend so I must give those fabrics a spin. Seriously considering buying a few new Smyth and Gibson shirts as well.
                                                                                          They're in BT next week. With TM's price increase S & G are beginning to look like the better option. I'll pop in for a peek at what's on offer at the least.

Last edited by Denny Crane; 24-09-15, 16:19.

Comment

^ They're weaves
                                                                                            I wanted to correct that too but then I would have had to have admitted even looking at this thread
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Any discount codes floating around for http://www.equusleather.co.uk/ ? Has anyone bought from them and Worcestershire for comparison?

Comment

They're in BT next week. With TM's price increase S & G are beginning to look like the better option. I'll pop in for a peek at what's on offer at the least.

http://www.brownthomas.com/page/made...sday_mens_wk34
                                                                                                Awesome, I want to see what kind of suit they recommend meto test their chops, are they actually in Dublin though?

"See our amazing line-up of made-to-measure services in our Cork, Limerick and Galway stores here."

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                  Do you need to make an appointment or do you just turn up and get looked after? I note that ETON are also in there.
                                                                                                  You need to book in from my experience. I just ring the Menswear dept and book a time. Generally a lady called Delores looks after it.

Comment

Was in town on Tuesday and wandered into Weir's and fitted on some fancy watches for the first time. The Seamaster is a class piece of gear.

Comment

Any discount codes floating around for http://www.equusleather.co.uk/ ? Has anyone bought from them and Worcestershire for comparison?
                                                                                                      10% discount with SF10% Denny

Comment

Recommend tailor for suit alterations? Have a Ted Baker that I need to see if I can save. (alteration centre, des byrnes?)

Also looking for suits that are linen, cotton, polyester, or rayon-based but since I will be changing size I don't want to spend too much on an intermediate suit. Any ideas of a good place?
                                                                                                        (Not ones acceptably worn while sailing the Caribbean in your yacht, just for weddings and such)
                                                                                                        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 05-10-15, 09:46.

Comment

10% discount with SF10% Denny
                                                                                                          Excellent thanks. I visited S & G at the weekend in BT. Shirts are up to a hefty €185 now. Ordered two to see how they turn out.

Comment

Excellent thanks. I visited S & G at the weekend in BT. Shirts are up to a hefty €185 now. Ordered two to see how they turn out.
                                                                                                            That's some serious inflation. Still worth it id say. Post up pics when you get them. Was it Richard himself doing the measuring?

Comment

That's some serious inflation. Still worth it id say. Post up pics when you get them. Was it Richard himself doing the measuring?
                                                                                                              I think so.

I popped into the Zegna measuring today just to find out the details. It's definitely a case of "it you have to ask", but I did anyway.

Suits start (!!) at 2.2k, coats 3.5k, shirts 300.

Comment

Speaking of shirts, Tailors Mark seem to be back in the Groupon game

Just bought €270 of credit for €84 on this

Comment

Could someone tell me a good place to buy Barbour clothing in Dublin apart from Brown Thomas. Thanks.
                                                                                                                  location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

This could descend into a V for Vendetta towel-esque scenario but here goes.

I want to buy a warm hat for the winter. It will mainly be used for walking kids to school and myself to\from work.

Main criteria should be that it is very fucking warm.
                                                                                                                    Also looks reasonably smart and can be mashed into a coat pocket.

What is my best option?

Comment

gracias, 'salty dog' beanie will now be worn whilst walking my actual salty dog

Comment

Can you use multiple vouchers in one order?

Comment

Can you use multiple vouchers in one order?
                                                                                                                          I don't think so. Send 'em a mail, they are very responsive. Lady who runs the customer service lives in Tasmania so you will get an overnight response.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X