Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The toast sandwich as detailed here: http://www.lovemoney.com/news/travel...pest-ever-meal

First, toast one thin slice of bread. As this is crisping up in the toaster, proceed to butter two further slices of bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Then place the slice of toast between the two slices of bread.... and voila, you have the toast sandwich.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

been feasting tonight on prawn cocktails drunken style

slap a pile of prawns in a bowl, add mayo, ketchup and dash lemon juice and mix

measurements have been varied but satisfaction has been constant

Comment

8 pork ribs, i like to use bigger ones and do them individually as opposed to slab of ribs

the rub

2 tablespoons brown sugar
        2 tablespoons Paprika
        3 tablespoons kosher salt
        1 teaspoon ground black pepper
        1 teaspoon dry mustard
        1/2 teaspoon cumin
        1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

thats what i rub into the ribs and then let rest in fridge for several hours while the sauce is beign made.

sauce is below, it is going to be crazy strong at the start, the vinegar will burn your
        eyes but it mellows right out

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
        1 medium onion, finely chopped
        3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
        2 cups ketchup
        1 1/2 can coke
        1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
        2 tablespoons brown sugar
        1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
        1/2 tablespoon onion powder
        1/2 tablespoon ground mustard, i like to use mustard seeds and grind them, better flavour and texture
        1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
        1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In a large sized pot, over medium heat, add oil. Once heated, add the
        onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add all the remaining sauce
        ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook
        uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the texture.

Depending if you are doing them int he oven or on a barbeque. when the sauce has cooled use a pastry brush and cover the ribs in the sauce. should be thick enough that it sticks to them and doesnt run off all over the place. in the oven place them on a wire tray so the heat circulates, medium to warm temp and they should take no more than 25 mins. Bbq will be much quicker, try close the lid when doing them

Comment

Eggocado

Emmet posted a link to this in the bbv the other day, I had to try it.

Was delicious

Preheat the oven to Gas 7 (220), stick a cast iron pan in there.
          Slice an avocado in half lenghtways and remove the pit.

Hollow it out a little but not too much. Slice the bottom thinly to create a flat edge otherwise the egg may spill.
          Crack a small egg and dump a bit of the white as you won't fit it all in.

Put the yoke and remaining white into the hollow, bit of salt and pepper and tabasco if you wish.

I cooked them for 12 minutes but I think that was a little too long, they were great but the egg was a little harder than I would've liked, I'm guessing the sweetspot for a runny egg would be about 8 minutes.

Crack a bit of pepper onto the scooped out avocado and eat that while you're waiting.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Actually picked up some avocados earlier to do this in the morning. Was just looking for the link in the BBV When I noticed this.

Comment

A tip that I use to save left over wine for cooking...

Buy freezer bags in the supermarket for €1.50 and freeze any opened bottles of wine in 1 glass portions ( 175ml ). Lob them in frozen to bolognese, risottos or whatever you're having yourself.
              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Left over wine?

Comment

Crispy bacon would be nice for a bit of texture
                  Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                  https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Bacon Baskets

Bacon in ramekins, then whacked in the oven
                    SPOILER

Mushrooms, onion and garlic fried in some butter.
                    SPOILER

Into the baskets and back in the oven
                    SPOILER

Then comes the egg and back in the oven
                    SPOILER

Cooked, added some pepper and herb's
                    SPOILER

Plated up and severed with wholemeal toast
                    SPOILER
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      Bacon Baskets

Bacon in ramekins, then whacked in the oven
                      SPOILER

SPOILER

Comment

I love you Icky

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          I love you Icky
                          I love you too, mwah mwah.

Comment

Made the Eggocado a couple of times since and I've found the sweet spot for a runny yolk is ten minutes.

Also, another tip, separate the yolk from the white and put the yolk in to the avocado first, then fill it up with white. Separating is easy, you just crack the egg in half and pour the white from one half to the other over the sink, keeping the yolk in one. Doesn't matter if you spill a bit, you won't be using it all, throw the yolk in to the avocado and top up with white.

Bit of cayenne pepper works a dream too.

Comment

made a dish tonight for myself only and been boring wife about how damn good it was..

also simple and quick which is always a bonus.

This is what i used for myself only so adjust for more ppl

ingredients used;

8 whole mussels (cleaned/bearded etc)
                              8 black tiger prawns (peeled and de veined)
                              olive oil
                              clove garlic
                              one red chilli
                              glass white wine
                              parsley
                              juice of one lemon
                              ground pepper
                              Linguine

method used;

heat olive oil and add chopped garlic and chopped chilli and fry for couple mins
                              add glass of wine and when hot add mussels and prawns and cover
                              simmer for 4-5 mins till mussels are open and prawns cooked
                              add lemon juice and parsley and ground pepper
                              toss in cooked linguine and pour all in large bowl

~10 mins start to finish

Comment

Anyone any decent links or ideas for a primal/paleo Tikka Masala dishes?
                                Went with this on http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz28GCxY9vV and its a bit flavourless.
                                Last edited by RoadSweeper; 03-10-12, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                  Anyone any decent links or ideas for a primal/paleo Tikka Masala dishes?
                                  Went with this on http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz28GCxY9vV and its a bit flavourless.
                                  Prob just a lack of spices. Looks v.mild for the number of portions.
                                  There's nothing particularly non-primal about a standard tikka masala, except the rice. The yogurt (like butter, cream, and sometimes cheese) isn't strictly a primal, but acceptable in small amounts if you tolerate it. Paleo is no dairy.
                                  But either way, coconut milk or cream is great in currys, but too much can neutralise the spice.

If you want tikka masala, I'd make it again with more spices and less tomato and coconut in the sauce.
                                  For my curry fix, I prefer to go with Thai curry or indian butter chicken.

Comment

Made an 'Egg Loaf' last night aka a pastry-free quiche.
                                    It's effectively a protein and fat monster, perfect for people trying to eat primal/wholefood/paleo.

Worked well, but definitely learned some lessons on how to make it again.

8 Eggs
                                    600g mince beef
                                    150g chorizo
                                    150g lardons/pancetta
                                    2 red onions
                                    1 pepper

Fry the mince with a single diced red onion, in another pan fry all others - onions first, want them to be quite caramelised in this pan (needs to be separate!). Biggest problem is that both the mince and onions 'leak' a lot of liquids during this part, and we need to not carry that through to next stage.

Sieve the mince/onions. Yes sieve them, as if baking a cake, trying to get them as dry as possible. Put back into the pan on a really low heat and keep stirring.
                                    Sieve the other pan too, and join this with the mince.

Beat the eggs like you would scrambled eggs.
                                    Butter a large loaf tin, pour some of the egg mixture in, then add all the meats. Pour the remainder of the egg in, and flatten off the meat.

Grate some cheese on top. Put in oven for 25/30 minutes on a medium heat (Gas 4 - 180).

When it's done, you need to let it set before slicing. Makes probably 5 servings with a shit tonne of protein and fat.
                                    -------------

Lot of experimenting to be done with this recipe/technique. Going to have to try chilli flakes, chicken and brocolli egg loaf, etc. Basically anything that's ever been in a quiche can probably be done this way.

Comment

Frittata's are another great way to make great protein egg bombs. It's quite similar to the above with loads of different options. Fire Frittata into youtube and you will get loads of options.

Opr

Comment

sounds great emmet.

spanish style tortilla is basically an egg cake also, so could be another way of doing it.

simple way to dry off you meat onion mixture is to put it in kitchen towel and pat it down, change kitchen towel, and pat it down again (do this 3/4 times or as many as you want).

Comment

I mix up a load of eggs and pour it into muffin cases. 30 mins in the oven and you have a lots of snack size Fritatas

Comment

Harissa Paste and Hummus

Harissa Paste

Ingredients
                                            1 tbsp coriander seeds
                                            1 tbsp caraway seeds
                                            2 tsp cumin seeds
                                            200g red chilli peppers, roughly chopped
                                            1 garlic bulb, peeled and roughly chopped
                                            1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
                                            1 tbsp dried mint
                                            1 tbsp salt
                                            olive oil

Roasted caraway, cumin and coriander seeds in a dry frying pan for 2ish mins then ground in a mortar and pestle, then threw everything into the blender. Put paste in a glass with a thin layer of olive oil on top of paste to keep it from drying out. Should last a month+ in the fridge.

Found the recipe online, removed the recommended capsicum and used a few different types of chilli peppers. Could make milder by adding tomato/capsicum and removing seeds from chillis.

Moved straight on to the hummus after finishing the harissa figuring the leftover scraps of harissa in the blender would go nicely with the rest of the hummus ingredients.

Hummus

400gm tin of chickpeas
                                            Squeezed juice from 1 lemon
                                            2 tablespoons of tahini
                                            1 clove garlic
                                            70ml olive oil
                                            1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
                                            salt
                                            pepper

Very little prep for this one, threw everything into the blender, chopping a clove of garlic roughly and squeezing the lemon in on top of everything.

Will eat both with either just naan bread or some falafel for the moment, may try to use the paste in a curry of some sort at some stage. An hour after finishing my hands are still burning so should probably have worn gloves while chopping the chillis.

Comment

Just had Eggocado for breakfast, was absolutely savage....nom nom nom nom...

Comment

Thinking of mixing tin of cream of chicken soup and philadelphia cream cheese together and heating it pouring it over cooked chicken breast. Top with breadcrumbs and grill for a crust?

Would this be a disaster ?

Think it might work tbh. Needing a quick meal later

Comment

Turn on deep fat fryer
                                                  Put in enough chips for 2 sambos
                                                  Thickly butter any old bread you can find
                                                  Sprinkle with White pepper
                                                  Then Black
                                                  Then salt
                                                  To taste obv
                                                  Butter bread with Ketchup, chef if you like food, heinz if you love advertising.
                                                  Place on chips.
                                                  eat.

Will do my restaurant review on Burger King tomorrow.

In before a foody says don't

Comment

Home made Burger Chips and chip shop style curry sauce

Jaysus,
                                                    Just had a lovely dinner - all made from scratch mmmmmmmmmmmmmm gorgeous

Home made burger with oven chips and chip shop style curry sauce -

Burgers
                                                    500g Extra lean mince (this makes 4 burgers) so i freeze alot of them
                                                    onion finely chopped
                                                    2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
                                                    splash of worchester sauce
                                                    I put a bit of chile powder into the burgers to make them extra spicy...

Oven chips
                                                    Peel 2 large potatoes,
                                                    cut into chips,
                                                    put into pot of boiling water for 5 minutes
                                                    take out - put on a baking tray - spray with frylight
                                                    I sprinkle them with sweet paprika, salt and pepper
                                                    Whack into oven for 20- 25 minutes ~ turn them over half way through (sprinkle with more salt pepper and a bit of frylight

Now the Chip Chop style curry sauce.
                                                    This receipe makes enough for 4 people - so again I freeze it
                                                    Low calorie cooking spray
                                                    I onion peeled and finely chopped
                                                    1 cm piece of root ginger peeled and finely grated
                                                    1 tbsp curry powder
                                                    400g can chopped tomatoes
                                                    60ml vegetable stock
                                                    50g fat free fromaige frais
                                                    1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
                                                    1 tbsp freshly chopped mint

Spray the pan with cooking spray
                                                    Add onion and garlic and cook until soft
                                                    Add ginger - cook for 1-2 minutes
                                                    Add curry powder and cook for 1-2 minutes
                                                    Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to boil then simmer for 15 minutes
                                                    Transfer the sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth
                                                    Return to the pan
                                                    Add the fromaige frais and coriander and mint and heat gently (do not boil or the fromaige frais will curdle)

mmmmmmmmmmm
                                                    Last edited by smurph; 17-11-12, 21:13.
                                                    Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Chocolate Brownies

Just made some brownies and not to brag, they have to be the best ever!! Not much experience baking but even i found this easy enough. Your welcome in advance.

INGREDIENTS:

375g unsalted butter
                                                      375g dark chocolate (70% + Cocoa)
                                                      Pinch of salt
                                                      6 large eggs
                                                      2 tbsp vanilla extract
                                                      500g caster sugar
                                                      225g plain flour
                                                      375g chopped walnuts](optional)
                                                      1 orange (optional)

preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius / gas mark 4. line your brownie pan/tray with greaseproof paper. Tiny knob of butter rubbed on greaseproof paper.

Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over, but not touching, a pan of boiling water
                                                      beat the eggs and sugar in another bowl and then add the vanilla essence and beat well.

measure the flour and add a pinch salt into a third bowl.

allow the chocolate mixture to cool a bit and then beat in the eggs and sugar and then the nuts and flour. beat to combine smoothly and then scrape out of the bowl into the pan/tray.

bake for about 25-30 minutes. when its ready, the top should be dried to a paler speckle, but middle should still be dark and dense and gooey. remember if the top looks done but the middle still hasn't got the right consistency, that they will continue to cook as they cool so don't be afraid and leave them in too long.

Grate over the zest of an orange an voila the best brownies you'll ever have. Makes about 40 good size portions.
                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Got a deep fat fryer (by request!) for Christmas as i was sick of oven chips and variable (and mostly unremarkable) chipper ones so decided to give Heston Blumenthal's Triple Cooked Chips a go this afternoon.

Takes a while (currently 2 hours since i started) but only one hour or so to go. Will report back on how they tasted later.

Having with baked pork chops, onions and beans.

Here's the recipe (which i followed fairly closely but used sunflower oil instead):

Heston says: "These chips are one of my proudest legacies! You see them on menus up and down the country now but the original recipe came out of endless experimenting at home long before I even opened the Fat Duck. The first secret is cooking the chips until they are almost falling apart as the cracks are what makes them so crispy. The second secret is allowing the chips to steam dry then sit in the freezer for an hour to get rid of as much moisture as possible. The final secret is to cook the chips in very hot oil for a crispy, glass-like crust."

Serves 6

INGREDIENTS
                                                        1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chips (approx. 2 × 2 × 6cm)
                                                        Groundnut or grapeseed oil
                                                        Salt
                                                        Method

Put the cut chips into a bowl under running water for 5 minutes to wash the starch off.

Place 2 litres of cold tap water in a large saucepan and add the potatoes. Place the pan over a medium heat and simmer until the chips are almost falling apart (approximately 20–30 minutes, depending on the potato).

Carefully remove the cooked chips and place them on a cooling rack to dry out. Then place the rack in the freezer for at least 1 hour to remove more moisture.

Heat a deep-fat fryer or a deep pan no more than half filled with oil (to a depth of around 10cm) to 130ºC. Fry the chips in small batches until a light crust forms (approximately 5 minutes), remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.

Put the potatoes on a cooling rack and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour. (At this stage, if you don’t want to cook and serve immediately, the chips can be kept in the fridge for 3 days.)

Heat the oil in the deep-fat fryer or deep pan to 180ºC and fry the chips until golden (approximately 7 minutes). Drain and sprinkle with salt.
                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 05-01-13, 19:57.

Comment

This sounds excellent

Comment

Well those were certainly the best home made chips i've ever had and as good as any i've had in a restaurant. So fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.

Definitely worth the extra effort for a nice dinner.

Next up with my new piece of kit will probably be some southern fried chicken, Crack Bird style i think.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                              Well those were certainly the best home made chips i've ever had
                                                              Yes, that recipe is great, so perfect with a steak. I love triple cooked chips. double cooked is almost as nice, slightly less of a 'glassy shatter' when you bite them but much faster to cook. If you eat them a lot then you can make a batch up together at the start of the week and freeze them at different stages, so you can take a handful out when you want them, into the oil for 10 mins and dinners done.
                                                              May have to treat myself this weekend. nom.nom

Comment

Had a couple of striploins ready to stick in the pan earlier, was about to do them my usual way, smear them with olive oil and pepper but I had a thought to use butter instead. I did a quick google and got this.

Did it that way and holy jaysus they were great. I found his times to be way off though, he was frying it for about 17 mins in total which is ridiculous imo. I cooked them for about 7 or 8 mins total.

When I took them off to rest I stuck the sliced onion and mushrooms into the skillet with all the buttery garlicy steaky juice and stir fried them for about ten mins. Deadly.

Comment

Turkey and bacon, Lemon,basil carbonara

Made this 3 time in the last 10 days, cant get over the 'freshness' of it.

Apologies if similar has been done before.

ingredients:

pasta of your choice, i used penne (70 g perperson)
                                                                  diced turkey breast. (or chicken) (170g perperson)
                                                                  Bacon (any kind, back is my choice, streaky will be fine too, or lardons. of course use the italian pancetta if you have it) (2/3 rashers PP)
                                                                  2+ egg yolks ( prefer 3 or 4 egg yolks, but 2 is enough)
                                                                  Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese ( i used Grana Padano, so any cheese will do) finely grated.
                                                                  Zest of a whole lemon,
                                                                  handful of fresh basil leaves.

(optional)
                                                                  Spring onions, garlic. ( i added these one time i did the recipe and it was nice, feel free to omit them)

Cook the turkey and bacon. I roasted/grilled mine, but any method you choose should be fine.
                                                                  cook the pasta, use plenty of salt in the water.

While this is cooking mix the egg yolks and a big handful of cheese in a bowl.

Once the pasta is almost done take a ladle of the starchy water and add it to the egg/cheese mixture. mix it together, add salt and pepper.

Thats a traditional carbonara sauce, you can stop here if you just want the carbonara.

To this sauce add the zest of the lemon, (garlic and spring onions if using)
                                                                  chop the basil as fine as you can and mix that in too.

Mix the whole lot together.

Once the pasta is cooked, drain it off. I like to pepper the pasta here.
                                                                  Return the pasta to the hot pan and add the egg mixture. Take if off the heat and let the residual heat off the pasta gently cook the egg for a few minutes, add the turkey and chop the bacon into thin strips or dices and mix the lot.

Season with salt and pepper to your taste and top with the remaining cheese.

I stumbles on this by accident, after screwing up another meal and just adding the egg yolks. I thought it was really tasty so i thought id share it.
                                                                  Its a nice twist on the often boring carbonara recipe.

Id love to hear some suggestions for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    Had a couple of striploins ready to stick in the pan earlier, was about to do them my usual way, smear them with olive oil and pepper but I had a thought to use butter instead. I did a quick google and got this.

Did it that way and holy jaysus they were great. I found his times to be way off though, he was frying it for about 17 mins in total which is ridiculous imo. I cooked them for about 7 or 8 mins total.

When I took them off to rest I stuck the sliced onion and mushrooms into the skillet with all the buttery garlicy steaky juice and stir fried them for about ten mins. Deadly.
                                                                    Looks amazing.
                                                                    But yeah, times look way too long for me. Unless he had it on a really low setting.

Comment

For all you healthy fellas out there I am looking for a simple recipe to prepare tonight for lunch tomorrow!

I have striploin steak, potatoes and loads of veg. Is there any good ideas out there?

Is a cold beef salad nice? whats the best way to cook the steak for this?

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                        For all you healthy fellas out there I am looking for a simple recipe to prepare tonight for lunch tomorrow!

I have striploin steak, potatoes and loads of veg. Is there any good ideas out there?

Is a cold beef salad nice? whats the best way to cook the steak for this?
                                                                        fry it in butter, 2-3 mins each side depending on thickness. once its cooked let it rest for the same length of time as you cooked it.

While it rests add extra virgin olive oil, some garlic cloves you have squashed and some balsamic vinegar to the hot butter in the pan. (can use another type of vinegar or lemon/lime juice if you like) stir this sauce for a few minutes off the heat, then add the juices from the rested steak, pour the lot over your steak and salad. (use a sieve or take the big lumps out before you pour)

Can slice the steak thinly and let it cool if you want a cold steak salad.

what veg do you have?

Comment

Actually meant to ask this the other day but forget, I like making scrambled eggs as a quick bite to eat but what kind of extra bits to people add to them to give it a little extra kick & mix it up?
                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                            Actually meant to ask this the other day but forget, I like making scrambled eggs as a quick bite to eat but what kind of extra bits to people add to them to give it a little extra kick & mix it up?
                                                                            Crumble some black pudding all up in that shit.

Comment

CHEESE

Comment

Frankfurter pieces
                                                                                Onion (diced)
                                                                                Egg Shell (crumbled)
                                                                                Peppers (diced)

Comment

Chorizo
                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

all of the above.

plus chives.

or try this
                                                                                    melt 50g butter in microwave, separate 2 egg yolks, whisk them into the hot melted butter, add salt pepper lemon and mustard to taste. pour over scrambled eggs and bacon

simple egg Bearnaise.

Comment

actually on this subject.

eggs are my biggest bock when it comes to cooking. I can fry and do a mean poach. but Its 30/70 if an omelet i make will turn out ok or more like a dodgy fu yung.

Ive only tried to make scrambled once and it was crap.

anyone have any tips on omelet making and egg scrambling. just the basics, ill be able to do the fancy stuff laters.

Comment

Can't search for it in work but there's a 5 minute cooking Jamie Oliver youtube vid for a quick basic omelet.

Comment

Yeah, and Gordon Ramsey's scrambled eggs is worth watching too.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                            Can't search for it in work but there's a 5 minute cooking Jamie Oliver youtube vid for a quick basic omelet.
                                                                                            Ive seen it, and others. just looking for a few more tips from other people.

I make mine with 3 eggs, salt and pepper. high temp on the pan and a little oil. spread the eggs and keep them moving. wait til the bottom is cooked then add other ingrediants. fold and serve.

except it rarely goes like that. usually its scrape the eggs from the pan, add the ingredients. try to fold and end up flopping the crumbled mess onto some toast. disguise the burned bits with ketchup. and serve.

Tried using a lower heat but it came out all soggy.

Comment

low temp, use butter.

Comment

im actually gonna go home now and use up all my eggs until i get the perfect omlete.

so if you have any tips share them and ill give them a try.

ill post up what i find is the best later

Comment

lower temp, more butter/oil. I often flip it before adding ingredients to the cooked side.

Comment

I cook scrambled eggs in the microwave every day and the result is as good as a saucepan. Just add water or milk & seasoning to the eggs and I cook at 360 power. Takes around 4 mins stopping to stir a few times during the process. Can use higher power but I prefer them "slow cooked." Just keep a watchful eye as they approach the finish line as 10-20 seconds too long and they're a different story. Fry up some bacon in the mean time for a super 5 min meal.

Comment

On a different subject I've discovered that paneer is ridiculously easy to make yourself.

Bring a pot of milk to the boil slowly stirring as you go. The second it gets to the boil take it off the heat and add a quarter of a glass of vinegar or so depending on amount of milk used. Stir slowly allowing the milk to seperate.

Put 2 thin cleaning rags covering a strainer and pour the contents of the pot through it. Use the rags as a bag to squeeze some more liquid out gently. Put the now prepared paneer in a container and into the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatiam View Post
                                                                                                        im actually gonna go home now and use up all my eggs until i get the perfect omlete.

so if you have any tips share them and ill give them a try.

ill post up what i find is the best later
                                                                                                        Finish it off under the Grill it will save you having to flip it.

Comment

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

smoked salmon with the eggs

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                              low temp, use butter.
                                                                                                              Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                              lower temp, more butter/oil. I often flip it before adding ingredients to the cooked side.
                                                                                                              Tried a few different types;
                                                                                                              low temp/butter. worst option, maybe it was too low (2/6)but it was just an unpleasant congealed mess that wouldnt set

medium temp(4/6) butter, splash of milk in the eggs
                                                                                                              best result but it was too thick, i think without the milk is better.

high temp/oil

works, but only if you are real quick, sticks to the pan easily and have to keep it moving constantly, oil isnt great as it sits on the egg. not advised

none were particular good, omelets remain my nightmare food. but i think ive found my errors, maintain the correct temp is the real trick (quite an ask on my dodgy electric hob)
                                                                                                              butter is superior to oil in many ways.

mixing the ingredients in after the flip is a handy tip, if youre no good at flipping i prefer the 'mixed in' texture and can flip pretty well if the omelet hasnt already fallen to pieces.

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                              Finish it off under the Grill it will save you having to flip it.
                                                                                                              a great suggestion, i used to do them like this all the time. i find that it makes them thicker and fluffier too. also good if your weak flipper or have a big pan or thick omelet .

conclusion: Im still crap at omelets but its up to 50/50 now.

Comment

Took a fillet of salmon out of freezer yesterday but it wasnt used.

This morning i sliced it into thin slices and marinated the raw salmon in a mixture of soy sauce/finely chopped spring onions/sprinkling of chilli powder and a grind of pepper.

left it in fridge for an hour and made some melba toast and have just ate it

have to admit i was rather impressed.

The cold salmon was soft and sweet and all the flavours of the marinade could be tasted and didnt overpower the salmon at all and the melba toast gave an extra texture

will defo do again

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                                                  Took a fillet of salmon out of freezer yesterday but it wasnt used.

This morning i sliced it into thin slices and marinated the raw salmon in a mixture of soy sauce/finely chopped spring onions/sprinkling of chilli powder and a grind of pepper.

left it in fridge for an hour and made some melba toast and have just ate it

have to admit i was rather impressed.

The cold salmon was soft and sweet and all the flavours of the marinade could be tasted and didnt overpower the salmon at all and the melba toast gave an extra texture

will defo do again
                                                                                                                  sounds nice, I use that exact marinade for chicken and turkey.
                                                                                                                  you could add lime juice to this marinade, or balsamic/cider vinegar. The acid will help break the meat down making it even softer and add a depth of flavour.

Comment

Love balsamic vinegar and defo give that a go.

Am thinking of getting a bit of fillet steak and doing the same some day soon

I do love things raw albeit technically they are being 'cooked' by the acids etc

Comment

I do love things raw albeit technically they are being 'cooked' by the acids etc
                                                                                                                      I like sushi but never maje my own, i keep meaning to make tuna cerviche myself (raw tuna in a Lemon/lime juice), but I'd be wary of doing it with a piece of fish I had sitting in the freezer or the fridge for a while.

Comment

Use coke in a marinade for steak. Tastes great and really tenderises the meat. Maybe not 100% necessary for a fillet, but still nice.

Comment

Had a nice roast chicken yesterday.
                                                                                                                          My usual is to butter and oil the chicken and add some herbs. Was looking around the fridge for inspiration and saw there was not much mustard in the jar. So...

Mix a couple of teaspoons of wholegrain mustard with butter. A few cloves of minced garlic. Lemon juice and olive oil. Spread this over the washed and dried chicken making sure to place the mixture under the skin of the breast.
                                                                                                                          Chop an onion roughly. Slightly squash some more garlic, mix with mustard, oil and lemon pieces and stuff the bird.

Chop sweet potatoes carrots celery and leek into large chunks and line a tray with them. Drizzle with oil salt and pepper. Preheat the oven and cook for 20 or so minutes.

Place the chicken on top and cook for required time. Cooked mine for 1 hour ish at 225 in a halogen oven.

When the chicken is at least 65-70 degrees all over and the skin is crispy it's done. Slice and serve with the veg.

Retain the off cuts of the veg and the chicken carcass for a stock for a blue cheese and celery soup which I will post later. (I'm hoping the stock will have a mustard flavour to it which should work with the bluechese)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X