******Bitcoin/Alt Coins Thread******

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

******Bitcoin/Alt Coins Thread******

Seems to be a decent bit of interest in the BBV and wouldn't mind seeing what other here are in so thought I might as well start a thread. I don't have a huge amount of time to contribute at the moment but here is some of my bag with a very short reason why I am in them.

ICX - Korean ETH. Mainnet launch coming. Good team, partnerships etc.

XRB - Genuinely the best coin I have used. The tech just impressed me so much. Binance launch coming this week. Hard to know if the added volume will bump the price again or give the people who have made huge profit a change to get out.

REQ - Y Combinator incubator.

XMR = Best privacy coin atm. Zclassic / Bitcoin Private Fork probably worth look at but haven't had time recently.

BAT - Guy who invented Javascript and Modzilla behind the project. They have working tech in the Brave browser.

XBY - (Small holding) Similar to XRB but way behind in development stakes but that is obviously reflected in the market cap.

So what is everyone else piling into?

Opr

Ripple, Stellar lumens, siacoin, tron, golem, dentacoin, monero are the ones I've been told to punt on. Fair bit in the 1st 3 and just little bits in the others. XRB looks good for a spin OPR..will try and give it a go tomorrow thanks.
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Long term ETFs in BTC & ETH.

Actual BTC which I use to by other ALTS, then some QASH and GCR. Want some ICX.

Thinking of going heavy on QASH for a long enough hold.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
          XRB looks good for a spin OPR..will try and give it a go tomorrow thanks.
          Just be aware that it is new tech which has had a meteoric rise. They use a completely different system to BTC called a block lattice. From what I understand instead of using miners your PC is doing the computation part. So essentially all the computers using the system contribute a tiny amount of processing power each. The transactions are almost instant, fee less and in theory should scale very well.

The thing is that BTC has been proven and tested over a very long time and with tech like this that isn't the case and we will only see cracks as the volume increases so it is probably on the riskier side of the stuff but I guess that comes with huge upside. They integrated it to a new exchange Kucoin a few days back and it ended up being a bit of a cluster fuck as it is essentially them learn on the job as they go at the moment.

Opr

Comment

Which exchanges are people on? I miss out on so many altcoins due to only being on Bitfinex.

Comment

They do have some rumored very exciting things on the horizon. (RaiBlocks)

Nano Ledger s support is already being worked on.
              Integration to Binance.

Big rumour that they are going to re-brand to 'Nano' and they will scale the price of the coin by 10^3. So making a nano worth .03c. That could do wonders for the price as lots of people don't even look at the market caps and just think zomg cheap coin that could go to a couple of K. Buy, buy, buy

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Which exchanges are people on? I miss out on so many altcoins due to only being on Bitfinex.
                Binance is the best exchange I have used and has most coins. Any of the really obscure alts I generally end up making a new account with whatever exchange as they do tend to be exchange specific until they get some notoriety. Like RaiBlocks was BitGrail specific until a few days ago and that exchange will probably die on its ass once Binance starts trading RB as all its volume was in RB.

Opr

Comment

I'm on kucoin exchange. Eth lend is my main punt but having fun getting in early on the launch of new coins then riding the greens then selling off.
                  Canya launched today (early, so I missed launch price) and has rose all night
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

ETHLend

ETHLend White Paper. Contribute to ETHLend/Documentation development by creating an account on GitHub.

Fully decentralized peer to peer lending Smart Contract on Ethereum block-chain for lending Ether by using tokens as a collateral.
                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          So how would someone go about being in on the initial coin sale of Telegram's ICO. Like is there a central place you register for these things, or each company does it individually?

(I realise this is a very basic question!)
                          Encrypted messaging startup Telegram plans to launch its own blockchain platform and native cryptocurrency, powering payments on its chat app and beyond.

Those pre-sale investors may be required to place a minimum buy-in of $20 million if they’re outside of Durov’s inner circle.
                          Details of the crowd stage ICO will come in due course I'd imagine.

Comment

Been pricking about with Alts a bit. Firing darts blindfolded but its a fun gambol tbf.

Comment

Comment

At the moment I hold IOTA, XRP, TRX, WABI, QSP, ADA, LTC, DNT, QTUM, VIB, LSK, NEO, MTH, ARK, NAV, MTL, WAVES, POWR, EOS, ETH (in very low quantity just to fuel transaction from myetherwallet). Some are long term holdings, some just short term trades that I will soon sell and move to BTC.

I keep the major ones like IOTA, Ripple, Cardano, etc. on dedicated offline wallets and the others on multi-currency wallets such as Exodus and MyEtherWallet. I just keep a small amount of BTC on Binance in case some opportunity comes up.
                                "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

Is that kucoin DP mentioned the next best?
                                  i just opened and account there on binance, so it looks like they've reopened

Comment

Has anyone made, say, five figures from the investing, or is it smaller amounts ye are investing? Just curious about the scale of the whole thing.
                                    To make sure I didn't miss out completely on this madness I bought €5k worth of a ETF that has a 10% holding in Bitcoin, so I guess I indirectly bought €500 in BTC at that point The ETF is up 13% over the past 6 weeks or so.

Have Coinbase, Binance and MyEtherWallet accounts set up so still figuring out next steps there, if I do invest it certainly will be four figures to start. Realised that in 2017 I received less than €200 or so in interest (after DIRT) from my various Irish savings accounts; even three or four years ago I would have snagged well over €1,000 - cash just isn't doing anything at the moment! Have most of my investments in dividend-focused ETFs so they are massively outperforming cash, but even so the gains possible in crypto are so alluring right now.

I imagine that a good few here are up five figures pre tax, how could you not be?

Comment

I have 1 LTC bought at £42 for no reason other than to be able to have some sort of interest in the bubble game.

Friends have discovered that through Stripe many years ago they were gifted 5000 XLM so they are pretty happy with their free money (though none are out yet so they have no free money yet obviously).

Anyone day trading these is having a laugh. Anyone value investing in these is also having a laugh. I have no doubt crypto currency can and will be valuable, I don't see how on earth they can be fairly valued by anyone at the moment, other than the excellent and frequent use of 'relative' which is always related to something else that has no obvious intrinsic value.

All that aside, punt punt punt.

Comment

Has anyone made, say, five figures from the investing, or is it smaller amounts ye are investing? Just curious about the scale of the whole thing.
                                        I put €350 on kucoin Saturday night and am up to €509.20.
                                        It was a toe in the water rather than proper investment. At the moment, I dont know enough about the market to put in some proper money.
                                        The only tech I've gotten familiar with is LEND and Qlink so thats where the majority of my holdings are.
                                        I've put €20 and €30 around in some other ones but it's no more than a cursory look in case one of them jumps 200% overnight (not unheard of)
                                        Blockfolio app is ridiculously addictive btw.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

I imagine that a good few here are up five figures pre tax, how could you not be?
                                          would it not be classed as gambling, thus, tax free?
                                          Some exchanges, etoro for example, I dont think you own the coin rather than speculating on the price change.

Comment

Is there any decent idiots guide to getting started?

Comment

Tax implications from speculation can be mitigated through not actually owning an instrument and instead spread betting on the value of the instrument.

A cursory understanding of a spread bet on an instrument reveals the pay off to be the same as the realised profit/loss through buying and holding the instrument itself (less any financing costs if you are using leverage).

That being said, not a huge offering in alt coins across the spread bet providers yet. Worth bearing in mind for not just crypto gambling of course!

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                Scatter gun your shekels into a few coins, sit back, watch numbers go big.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post

That's probably the most straightforward for low value deposits, poxy fees though
                                                  alternative is set up revolut-->deposit EUR-->set up coinbase account-->deposit from revolut
                                                  takes longer but a bit cheaper

Comment

What's the ETF Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                      would it not be classed as gambling, thus, tax free?
                                                      Some exchanges, etoro for example, I dont think you own the coin rather than speculating on the price change.
                                                      it definitely is not classed as gambling, and it is not tax free. pretty sure you're buying and selling the asset on etoro also

Comment

Please go one step further than coinbase and register for gdax proper. It only requires one more piece of ID.

It's only ~40 times cheaper.

Comment

https://www.deepdotweb.com/buy-bitco...-credit-cards/

That's probably the most straightforward for low value deposits, poxy fees though
                                                          alternative is set up revolut-->deposit EUR-->set up coinbase account-->deposit from revolut
                                                          takes longer but a bit cheaper
                                                          unless you want to buy bitcoin cash, no need for coinbase. just buy them straight into your revolut account

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                            unless you want to buy bitcoin cash, no need for coinbase. just buy them straight into your revolut account
                                                            Only revolut premium has crypto facilities.

Comment

Can invite three friends to join revolut and it unlocks it. Use anybodies phones and they can uninstall if they want.

I'm going to invest 4/5 figures more and I am thinking of what to get. I only have BTC and BCH and I'm not sure if I'll deviate from BTC, but it's more fun.

Comment

Crypto gains (obv losses don't exist ) should in most instances be taxed as a capital gain, and every trade is done by reference to Euro, so if you sell BTC for say XMR, that's a chargeable event subject to CGT referable to the Euro equivalent values at the date of purchase and sale, even if you don't trade for Euro itself. The position could get more complicated if you're trading to certain degrees of volume and/or scale but I won't get into that on here.
                                                                Last edited by NewApproach; 09-01-18, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                  What's the ETF Paul?

Funnily enough, since my main investment strategy over the past decade or so has been as much dividend-focused as anything else, I actually was surprised a few days ago to get a notification about an unexpected dividend payment into my brokerage account. Sure enough it was approximately €50 from arkw! Nice surprise.

Comment

Why go for ETFs with relatively high fees instead of your own portfolio given transaction fees on exchanges are so low?

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                      Why go for ETFs with relatively high fees instead of your own portfolio given transaction fees on exchanges are so low?
                                                                      Just seems easier when I already have an account with a broker.

I also note someone on Reddit complaining that Coinbase have failed to process a simple fund reversal for $27k for over a month, which is a bit of a concern.

I had read that the likes of Coinbase were taking mad fees previously so didn't think an ETF would cost more.
                                                                      Last edited by Keane; 09-01-18, 11:56.

Comment

Binance is open again for a few hours.
                                                                        Here's my referral code if it helps. https://www.binance.com/?ref=20281512

Comment

I also note someone on Reddit complaining that Coinbase have failed to process a simple fund reversal for $27k for over a month, which is a bit of a concern.

I had read that the likes of Coinbase were taking mad fees previously so didn't think an ETF would cost more.
                                                                          Bitstamp which is what I used to lodge EUR charged 0.25% for trades from EUR to BTC. Crypto only exchanges are much lower again.

I heard that story re the $27k alright - given the amount going through Coinbase you have to assume it's an isolated incident or else we'd be hearing similar stories routinely.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                            Bitstamp which is what I used to lodge EUR charged 0.25% for trades from EUR to BTC. Crypto only exchanges are much lower again.

I heard that story re the $27k alright - given the amount going through Coinbase you have to assume it's an isolated incident or else we'd be hearing similar stories routinely.
                                                                            On that Reddit thread the guy is advised to open some sort of special complaint (presumably a gov thing) and people were commenting on there being a scary amount of complaints open. I don't really have any opinion on how reliable or otherwise any of these sites are. Same goes for DeGiro in all honestly despite some bit of digging around before investing I suppose.

I see some of those crypto ETFs have fairly wild TERs alright when I was checking this morning.

I think I'm going to do some gambol anyway since I can't buy my usual ETFs this month.

Comment

#39
                                                                              If you're using Binance make sure you own some of the Binance coin. You pay half fees by using it. I wish I had bought an amount as a hold coin because it has gone from $5->$20 in the time I have been using Binance. I remember thinking at the time as well that if the coin is in any way tied to the success of the exchange it can do nothing but rise but never got around putting a lump into it.

Opr

Comment

#40

Coinbase has high fees because it is the shiny Apple of crypto, their exchange has 0 fees for limit buys. 0.25% for sells. Kraken isn't much worse at 0.16%/0.26%

Binance has the lowest fees at 0.05% each way by using their coin but you can't fund them with FIAT I think, so will have to pay fees to transfer to them, something like ETH/LTC would be quite low to buy on GDAX for free, send for a pittance to binance and enjoy their low fees. Not sure how trustworthy they are however.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  OK, so buy BTC or ETH or something on GDAX, transfer to Binance and trade away are the steps?

I set up an account on bitstamp but it's saying two weeks to verify identity before I can get started. Any place not require verification?

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Yes that's it. Don't use BTC, too expensive and slow to transfer. If you are not trading often just using gdax or kraken will do (if you don't want loads of alt coins). Haven't looked into the ones that don't need verification.

Comment

#43
                                                                                      OK, so buy BTC or ETH or something on GDAX, transfer to Binance and trade away are the steps?

I set up an account on bitstamp but it's saying two weeks to verify identity before I can get started. Any place not require verification?
                                                                                      Kucoin was pretty easy

referral link
                                                                                      KuCoin is a secure cryptocurrency exchange that allows you to buy, sell, and trade Bitcoin, Ethereum, and 700+ altcoins. The leader in driving Web 3.0 adoption.
                                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 09-01-18, 16:26.

Comment

#44
                                                                                        What app do people use to monitor prices and track their portfolio?

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Blockfolio

Comment

#46
                                                                                            Blockfolio
                                                                                            It is a really cool app but just be wary that it is a little buggy at the moment. Guess they are probably having difficulties coping with the volume too. It randomly stops pulling data and sometimes it just shows massive drops out of nowhere for particular coins which I after I check on livecoinwatch or coinmarketcap find they haven't moved. Makes for a good sweat sometimes

Opr

Comment

#47
                                                                                              Crypto tracker is decent also

Comment

#48
                                                                                                I see some people saying they're waiting hours/days for coins or tokens to go from the exchange they're using to their wallets. More hoping that'll they turn up in the wallet than knowing for sure.

Does it depend on the coins tokens on how long you'll have to wait?
                                                                                                Had only bought some ETH and LTE on Coinbase but see I should not leave it there so wondering will they float about in space before turning up in my wallet?
                                                                                                Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 09-01-18, 19:43.

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                                                                                  I see some people saying they're waiting hours/days for coins or tokens to go from the exchange they're using to their wallets. More hoping that'll they turn up in the wallet than knowing for sure.

Does it depend on the coins tokens on how long you'll have to wait?
                                                                                                  Had only bought some ETH and LTE on Coinbase but see I should not leave it there so wondering will they float about in space before turning up in my wallet?
                                                                                                  They will be processing in the blockchain, you can always track the status of each transaction in the blockchain. LTC generally process way faster than BTC and have much lower fees.
                                                                                                  If you need to speed up the transaction you can (where possible) increase the transaction fee...bigger transactions with higher fee go first, small transactions can be delayed for days even, depending on traffic.
                                                                                                  "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

#50

On Bitfinex you can trade without verification (unless something changed in the past few weeks), however you cannot deposit/withdraw fiat unless you are verified, this is not an issue if you have an account on Gdax already though.

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Binance is back open for registration, here is my referral if you'd like https://www.binance.com/?ref=20818213 otherwise remove the ref id during registration.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        New bbv imo
                                                                                                        "Gibney might be the greatest hero of our time." (Keane, 2012; Hitchhiker, 2017)

"Frank Gibney, he's my favourite ." (careca, 2012)
                                                                                                        "Frank Gibney, he's my favourite." (mikeb, 2017)

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          join the cool kids

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            OK, I've got €100 in Kraken - what do I buy?

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              OK, I've got €100 in Kraken - what do I buy?
                                                                                                              Not sure what coins are available but I would for sure get a small amount of ICON (ICX).

I'm big on QASH but not on exchnages yet and still think GCR can turn around.

In other news BTC at 13k is a great time to put more in, hopfully touches 12.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Proud new owner of 0.008 of a bitcoin.

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  Bought some ICN and some ETH based on nothing. Not going well, down €1.50.

Comment

#58

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      Originally posted by Frank Gibney View Post
                                                                                                                      New bbv imo
                                                                                                                      Teacoin
                                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                        Teacoin
                                                                                                                        The live Teacoin price today is $0 USD with a 24-hour trading volume of $0 USD. We update our TEA to USD price in real-time.

too late

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X