Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad beat/Moaning/Venting thread - Mammy told me not to come.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Irish Bibs Gourmand:

Circa in Terenure, Dublin 6W; Uno Mas in Dublin 2; Land To Sea in Dingle, Co Kerry; Thyme in Athlone, Co Westmeath; and Balloo House in Killinchy, Co Down.

The non-inclusion of Dublin restaurants Bastible, Delahunt, Etto, Pig's Ear, Craft and Forest & Marcy, has raised speculation that Michelin may be about to substantially increase the number of one-star accreditations in the Irish capital,

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
      New Irish Bibs Gourmand:

Circa in Terenure, Dublin 6W; Uno Mas in Dublin 2; Land To Sea in Dingle, Co Kerry; Thyme in Athlone, Co Westmeath; and Balloo House in Killinchy, Co Down.

The non-inclusion of Dublin restaurants Bastible, Delahunt, Etto, Pig's Ear, Craft and Forest & Marcy, has raised speculation that Michelin may be about to substantially increase the number of one-star accreditations in the Irish capital,
      I’ve always liked Thyme in Athlone. Great to see them getting a bit of recognition.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        Impressed that I got this far in the day without any clue that I was channelling my inner Garret Fitzgerald, so far no one else noticed.

Can see a new hipster differing shoe trend here.
        Meanwhile checking out some of GAB's Tempur's and the Simba's in a more traditional hipster array.

Comment

Always amazed that the Italians play rugby in such a dour fashion.

Where's the bella figura and the flair?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            Always amazed that the Italians play rugby in such a dour fashion.

Where's the bella figura and the flair?
            more like et tu brutal

Comment

Impressed that I got this far in the day without any clue that I was channelling my inner Garret Fitzgerald, so far no one else noticed.

Not sure which is more impressive

The 50's farmers shoe on the left foot, the nuns one on the right or the WW1 trenchfoot battling socks

SPOILER
              "Fuck off you cunce" is an acceptable reply btw
              Last edited by Guest; 04-10-19, 11:42.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                more like et tu brutal
                and while I'm at it...how did French rugby get so far from its roots?

to many foreigners playing in the league I'm guessing. Ruined things.

Comment

Saffers collected a fair few comedy tries here

Comment

Hitch it's not you it's France. Half jarred already and feeling a tad frisky . I'll be a mess by teatime.

Comment

and while I'm at it...how did French rugby get so far from its roots?

to many foreigners playing in the league I'm guessing. Ruined things.
                      not even, although it's not helped. too much power in the hands of the top14 federation. players are burnt out by the time they're 24. give us a NZ system where French international players can only play so many minutes per game, so many games etc. and we'd be back in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                        Hitch it's not you it's France. Half jarred already and feeling a tad frisky . I'll be a mess by teatime.
                        Remember to eat a three course lunch and have a sexual dalliance before dinner, you'll be grand

Comment

Are you sure they're your feet?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                            New Irish Bibs Gourmand:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bastible, Etto and Forest & Marcy picked up a star, but I'd be very surprised if Delahunt and Craft got one. Both nice restaurants with good food but a good bit off the standard of other one star places in Dublin. I've never eaten in Pig's Ear but from what I've seen/heard, I'd put it in the same category of Delahunt/Craft rather than the others.

Will be interesting to see who gets what!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                              Don’t see the problem there, surely out of all the lads he cheated that guy needed the money least

Comment

The best thing about being in the Beatles was all the free sweeties
                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Any must see pubs in Kilkenny?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                    Any must see pubs in Kilkenny?
                                    The worlds end 🤣🤣🤣 Matt The Miller’s

Comment

Have the perfect audience in here for this.

We recently took on this lad to work in our warehouse and trade counter. Low level job but an area of the business that's giving us a lot of heartache lately.

He's recently returned from Australia, is a recent graduate and is with us for a couple of weeks while he waits on a role in finance. That role is ready for him and he has a start this day next week.

His ambition is to join a brokerage firm and rise the ranks to management.

We noticed really quickly that this guy is worth his weight in gold, really diligent and hard working. He started creating lean pretty much straight away.

It made us realise we needed to create a management role, we've (myself and my boss) been trying to do it ourselves but it's having a negative effect on our own roles.

Anyway, I pulled him aside on Wednesday and asked him if we carved out a management role for him would he consider it.

As I said, he has a job in a firm lined up, but I thought it worth a shot.

I figured he might see it as attractive, being able to walk into an interview in a year or 18 months time in his field, and talk about joining an SME as a warehouse op, getting promoted to top level management within two weeks and spending 18 months creating value and cutting waste.

Turned out that's exactly what he was thinking when we spoke again yesterday.

He's spending the weekend writing down what he thinks the role should be, as are we, and we're going to go for coffee on Monday to thrash it out. He's still thinking about it though. We're going to offer him the role of operations manager, overseeing everything from goods in, processing, to goods out.

I think this is a really good mutually beneficial situation. He gets to cut his teeth in management, we get someone talented coming in with fresh eyes, creating an efficient framework. He will definitely move on and that's fine, we can then hire a replacement who will come in to manage an established system.

A couple of questions, first off, if it was you in his position what would you do?

He hasn't mentioned money once in all this, what ballpark salary should we be looking at?

Any more tips on how to approach it on Monday would be greatly appreciated.
                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

@laz not sure about salary but I doubt he'd be going in to a new firm on a v big salary. Let him throw a figure out and work from there.

With regard to Lean I'd give him € targets to generate savings in his first year. Are you willing to let staff go if he has soft savings?

Target bottlenecks in the company, major budget items, motion, over production, stockpiling, etc. Survey your customers on your service and get him to analyse results.

Usual shite basically

Comment

Hmmm... This was just before Cummings allowed Boris tell the Scottish courts that he would ask for an extension on the 19th if there is no deal.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                            Have the perfect audience in here for this.

We recently took on this lad to work in our warehouse and trade counter. Low level job but an area of the business that's giving us a lot of heartache lately.

He's recently returned from Australia, is a recent graduate and is with us for a couple of weeks while he waits on a role in finance. That role is ready for him and he has a start this day next week.

His ambition is to join a brokerage firm and rise the ranks to management.

We noticed really quickly that this guy is worth his weight in gold, really diligent and hard working. He started creating lean pretty much straight away.

It made us realise we needed to create a management role, we've (myself and my boss) been trying to do it ourselves but it's having a negative effect on our own roles.

Anyway, I pulled him aside on Wednesday and asked him if we carved out a management role for him would he consider it.

As I said, he has a job in a firm lined up, but I thought it worth a shot.

I figured he might see it as attractive, being able to walk into an interview in a year or 18 months time in his field, and talk about joining an SME as a warehouse op, getting promoted to top level management within two weeks and spending 18 months creating value and cutting waste.

Turned out that's exactly what he was thinking when we spoke again yesterday.

He's spending the weekend writing down what he thinks the role should be, as are we, and we're going to go for coffee on Monday to thrash it out. He's still thinking about it though. We're going to offer him the role of operations manager, overseeing everything from goods in, processing, to goods out.

I think this is a really good mutually beneficial situation. He gets to cut his teeth in management, we get someone talented coming in with fresh eyes, creating an efficient framework. He will definitely move on and that's fine, we can then hire a replacement who will come in to manage an established system.

A couple of questions, first off, if it was you in his position what would you do?

He hasn't mentioned money once in all this, what ballpark salary should we be looking at?

Any more tips on how to approach it on Monday would be greatly appreciated.
                                            You may, or may not know, but the way you (and your boss) handled this is rare, and to be commended.

This guy will continue to be a superstar given the support and belief you've shown him. Hard to know what I'd do if I was him without knowing about the convos with his other potential job.

Ultimately, it's not about money until its about money but you've definitely eeked yourselves a discount given how you've approached it.

I think you set it up as a contract role to start, 12-18 months, reasonable salary, bonus at end, based on improving things that matter to your business. Measuring this stuff is key, as Im sure you know.

At the end then, you guys know what you need going forward and have a blueprint for the person and a definition of the role (and a potential candidate), and he gets a finite end to the job in case he does still harbour that finance route.
                                            Last edited by Theresa; 04-10-19, 21:27.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Thanks guys, some good stuff there.

Really like the idea of a contract role.

Thanks for that compliment Steve, made me wonder tbh if this was a thing, it's such a no-brainer I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                Thanks guys, some good stuff there.

Really like the idea of a contract role.

Thanks for that compliment Steve, made me wonder tbh if this was a thing, it's such a no-brainer I feel.
                                                It being a no brainer does not means its common. I'm sure everyone here has countless examples of a company losing an incredibly valuable worker because they powers didnt recognise that value.
                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Pike Street at Smock Alley - just fucking go.

Also, tried to have an evening of drinking in the classic cellar bars of Dubbalin Towin. Name them.

Comment

Originally posted by Donk Magnet View Post
                                                    The worlds end [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] Matt The Miller’s
                                                    Had a look in the window of The World's End earlier, just hoping it was a homage to the last installment of the Cornetto Trilogy. Looked more like a restaurant than a pub.

Comment

Also, tried to have an evening of drinking in the classic cellar bars of Dubbalin Towin. Name them.

SPOILER

You mean strictly cellar bars or pubs that have a cellar bar?

Cellar bar
                                                      Kennedy's
                                                      Gingerman
                                                      Hogan's
                                                      Ferryman
                                                      Globe
                                                      Chq
                                                      O'Neill's
                                                      Doyles
                                                      Blind pig
                                                      Bruxelles

You'd hardly count something like the Berlin bar

Comment

Domt go to Linda Murphys, I won't know till tomorrow if this is true.maybe I'm dreaming of a, traditional Irish bar that is everything I hate.

Ffs 5.4am.
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Can't find my glasses anywhere. Can't see a fucking thing. Light switches everywhere but they all turn on a different light, I am blind
                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Found them on floor near couch, and found solohadine d5 diorlite and water which I think may fix me.

A nd I'm. Never drinking again. Will someone delete all my posts tomorrow
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone got a link to this game? None of my reliable streams seem to be working this morning

Also, Leicester to pull the upset today
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                Anyone got a link to this game? None of my reliable streams seem to be working this morning

Also, Leicester to pull the upset today
                                                                Isn't it on rte? Otherwise it's on itv or the itv player

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                  Isn't it on rte? Otherwise it's on itv or the itv player
                                                                  Only showing the Irish games as far as I know. Didn't even think to look for itv, cheers
                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Quite impressed with Satnavs neat and fairly cohesive 5am drunk postings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                      Quite impressed with Satnavs neat and fairly cohesive 5am drunk postings.
                                                                      No idea what she's on about in the first one, and no doubt autocorrect makes them look a lot better than what she actually typed

Comment

Farrell not helping the handicap here.
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                          Farrell not helping the handicap here.
                                                                          I think he's doing a fantastic job for it.

Comment

SPOILER

Cellar bar
                                                                            Kennedy's
                                                                            Gingerman
                                                                            Hogan's
                                                                            Ferryman
                                                                            Globe
                                                                            Chq
                                                                            O'Neill's
                                                                            Doyles
                                                                            Blind pig
                                                                            Bruxelles

I'd say he's more likely on about La Cave and baggot St messers friendly vinegar emporiums

Comment

What’s the quickest way to replace a misplaced passport? Have a stag on Friday and one of the lads can’t find theirs. Possible to get a new one by then?

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                                What’s the quickest way to replace a misplaced passport? Have a stag on Friday and one of the lads can’t find theirs. Possible to get a new one by then?
                                                                                The passport card is surprisingly fast. Order online but you’ll need to know your passport number. Otherwise it’s s trip to the passport offic.

Comment

Wtf was that all about
                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Ty Samoa, that’s hilarious

Comment

Someone please inject the boards rugby thread directly into my veins right now. Glorious

Comment

As nicknames goes.... Brave Blossoms is fairly shit.
                                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                          Ty Samoa, that’s hilarious
                                                                                          For a lad that hates rugby you sure as fuck watch a lot of it #fraud

Comment

Originally posted by premierstone View Post
                                                                                            For a lad that hates rugby you sure as fuck watch a lot of it #fraud
                                                                                            Sum total of rugby World Cup watched so far by me
                                                                                            Last 5 mins of Ireland V Japan
                                                                                            Last 20 minutes of japan v Samoa
                                                                                            How can anyone not see the funny side of Samoa’s decision to take that scrum under their posts. And now everyone’s got the tin foil hats out claiming fix when Tonga had way easier chance to ship a BP try in buildup

Comment

That Bayern performance not looking so slick now

Comment

Young Connolly looks the part, always on half-turn looking to get in behind, good feet

looks smart!

Comment

SPOILER

Cellar bar
                                                                                                  Kennedy's
                                                                                                  Gingerman
                                                                                                  Hogan's
                                                                                                  Ferryman
                                                                                                  Globe
                                                                                                  Chq
                                                                                                  O'Neill's
                                                                                                  Doyles
                                                                                                  Blind pig
                                                                                                  Bruxelles

Rd3 would have a great time in Berlin I feel.

Are we talking about bars with a downstairs here?
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Got one recently and the online way had an express option
                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                      I'd say he's more likely on about La Cave and baggot St messers friendly vinegar emporiums
                                                                                                      Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Yeah, I'm guessing he's being more specific.

Comment

It might be worth a punt on the passport card but its risky. I got mine in three days and my regular passport arrived the following week.

However the current wait time on an online renewal is 10 days. The rapid replacement service may work but your mate won't be able to book the appointment until Tuesday - can only be done when there's 3 days left until you travel. More info in the link below. The rapid service can't be used if there's another application in progress.

Latest passport application turnaround information from online renewals, passport express and applications from Great Britain

Comment

SPOILER

Cellar bar
                                                                                                          Kennedy's
                                                                                                          Gingerman
                                                                                                          Hogan's
                                                                                                          Ferryman
                                                                                                          Globe
                                                                                                          Chq
                                                                                                          O'Neill's
                                                                                                          Doyles
                                                                                                          Blind pig
                                                                                                          Bruxelles

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                          We went Stags Head, International and Dawson Lounge. DC's are all good.

Something very atmospheric about a subterranean bar.

Comment

We went Stags Head, International and Dawson Lounge. DC's are all good.

Something very atmospheric about a subterranean bar.
                                                                                                            Made me aware that I've only pub knowledge of a one mile square area
                                                                                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 05-10-19, 18:53.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Copenhagen is a city I always remember as having lots of cellar bars.

I've actually never been to Berlin. Been booked to go three times and each time someone has died.

Comment

Phenomenal performance, incredible.
                                                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Mens marathon was some race. Gutted for Callum Hawkins, what a performance

Comment

Possibly first hol ever didn't venture outside today as such. Ah fuck it 10 days left, be grand

Had toast and butter and marmalade for dinner.
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

What was the spread in France-Tonga?

Comment

What was the spread in France-Tonga?
                                                                                                                        24.

we play 2nd string against england next week, then kick the shit out of wales in the QF. easy game

Comment

Was it someone on here that has cat allergies and an air purifier helped? Andy?

What model was it?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X