Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPB Hero Our Conor Memorial Thread - (Horses Betting Obv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They knew
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Clonmel 11.40
      High street roller
      Plenty of money on it was 40/1 at one stage
      Still 11s around

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        Nostalgia aint what it used to be..

No mention of Our Conor? His Triumph win is still one that gives me goosebumps!!

Comment

My bad, just thought you were being far too modest!

Comment

I'm only on about my very earliest standout racing memories from when I was 8 to 15 years old.
            My apparent ability to pick horses that would fall in the national and win next time out

Comment

I have a vague memory of Buck House vs Dawn Run.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Still get goosebumps recalling Dawn Run V Buck House at Punchestown in 86. Had a keen interest anyway as a 15 year old growing up in Grangecon from where Paddy Sleator and Francis Flood were sending out winners like Mullins and Elliott are today but this day was something special and got me totally and utterly hooked.
                Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Montelado in the supreme was my first memory and definitely the day I got hooked, Istabraq, Beef or Salmon, Moscow Flyer and The Fly the highlights since.

Comment

Bonalma winnings the ladbroke hurdle in 1986 for Tom Taffe and Arthur Moore
                    After that I had my love of racing that still burns strong today

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post
                      Bonalma winnings the ladbroke hurdle in 1986 for Tom Taffe and Arthur Moore
                      After that I had my love of racing that still burns strong today
                      I was at that too.

Used to go to all the big Leopardstown, Phoenix Park meetings with my father. The odd trip to Tramore or Wexford when we were on holidays.

And always, for some odd reason, the Fairyhouse meeting on New Years Day!

A good memory of my brother and me being handed a brown paper bag full of cash in the back of the car, aged 9 and 10, and being told 'count that' and 'don't tell your mother'. Think she got a new fridge out of it so was probably happy enough.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

^^^^^^ where is the race track in the town hitch

First memory would be tralee races and having a pound on a nice winner and getting twice what I thought I'd get back from the tote cos they were paying to a 50p stake

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                            ^^^^^^ where is the race track in the town hitch

First memory would be tralee races and having a pound on a nice winner and getting twice what I thought I'd get back from the tote cos they were paying to a 50p stake
                            Going through the kids door in Leops for 50p until about the age of 19

Comment

Phoenix Park Racecourse. Saw Steve Cauten Walter Swinburn. G. Starkey and Pat Feckin Eddery. Was amazed to be so close to such famous folk off the tellybox . Know feck all these days. GAB is the only famous one I know now.

Comment

I had zero interest in racing growing up but it is a very big part of my step-fathers family, I do remember visiting Eamonn Tyrell's yard with him and being pretty surprised to see a horse training in a swimming pool.

Unfortunately, Eamonn passed away a few months ago, I'm pretty oblivious to the opinion of others on the ban but always lovely to my siblings and I so pretty fond memories of that.

Comment

Someone put up a winner for dundalk later to cover the Xmas expenses and leave us a memory to share in 20 years

Comment

Fundalk

Nimitz is running over 1mile and 4 furlongs tonite
                                    One of Dices favorites
                                    Might run well

Comment

Fundalk

Nimitz is running over 1mile and 4 furlongs tonite
                                      One of Dices favorites
                                      Might run well
                                      Tricky race - might do a small Rev FC with Sky Seven.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Tricky race - might do a small Rev FC with Sky Seven.
                                        It will pay for the Christmas rush

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                          Someone put up a winner for dundalk later to cover the Xmas expenses and leave us a memory to share in 20 years
                                          Danz Gift, 5.15

I'm back in form. Put up a 10/1 winner 30 secs before the race last Sunday.

If you bums pay the subs to my private tipping line, you could have won BIG just like my many INFORMED and JUDICIOUS subscribers who are IN THE KNOW as I have the INSIDE SCOOP from TOP STABLES.

Giving you this one for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            Danz Gift, 5.15

I'm back in form. Put up a 10/1 winner 30 secs before the race last Sunday.

If you bums pay the subs to my private tipping line, you could have won BIG just like my many INFORMED and JUDICIOUS subscribers who are IN THE KNOW as I have the INSIDE SCOOP from TOP STABLES.

Giving you this one for free.
                                            50 different phone numbers spitting out various combinations of tips id say

Probably modeled on this

Comment

Clonvile 18.15
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Going through the kids door in Leops for 50p until about the age of 19
                                                It was free in when I was going as a young lad and was also pushed through that side every time

Anyway Primo's Comet in the next at Newcastle
                                                Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 06-12-19, 16:56.

Comment

I think the two best IPB horsey memories have to be Our Conor and Jennies Jewel at Royal Ascot.

And the video of Strewel doing a little jig at Listowel.

Comment

Danz Gift beat no horses home.

I told you Dundalk was rigged.

Comment

Danz gift trainer just said here best chance tonight was magnetic north (25/1) in the 19:45 or sovereigns bright in the last

Comment

I think the two best IPB horsey memories have to be Our Conor and Jennies Jewel at Royal Ascot.

And the video of Strewel doing a little jig at Listowel.
                                                        Our Conor most memorable for me. Went to town with 25 quid in my pocket to just have a few pints and got caught in the hype, bought a pint and stuck 20 on our Conor "on the nose" felt like a right big spender and felt even better when he pissed in and had a great night out.

The horse that hooked me was War of Attrition in the Gold Cup in 2006 iirc, I was 17 and on my first Cheltenham session with the aul lad, he had been talking about the horse since Christmas, I had 50 quid to do me for the day, stuck 20 on him and he won at 9/1. Think I gave it all back in the end but I can still see us in the pub going mental surrounded by people throwing their dockets away.

Seems a lifetime ago now.

Comment

£1 e/w on Little Polvier in the 1989 Grand National @ 28/1. Scooted in. Gave it back in shedloads in the intervening 30 and a bit years.

Comment

Let's give the Friday Night Fancy one more spin

Ciao in the 7.45 (it really well be ciao if this yoke doesn't win )

Comment

On that one earlier too.
                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                On that one earlier too.
                                                                /cancel bet/

Comment

Parkers Hill is a decent price in the last

Comment

Limerick Boy winning some hurdle race at Kempton in January 2004, we were on at 25/1. My first winner

Comment

Couldnt resist 9/2 about Un de Sceaux today. This is the time to catch him, ground officially soft now as well. Defi class but if u want to get him betyou couldn't pick better conditions than today. Dead eight runners too for a filthy.

Comment

Doubled with Native River at evens as well.

Comment

Another classic racing day
                                                                          1992 Hennessy Gold cup
                                                                          Carvills hill ( what a horse)
                                                                          Got bus up to foxrock church and walked the rest to Leopardstown racecourse remembering the goosebumps just thinking about watching this great horse
                                                                          Didn’t even bet that day just wanted to see the horse in the flesh even managed to thumb a lift back to Tallaght that day which made it sweeter

Comment

One snippit of an early racing memory

Lunch break 25th Nov '93 after a lovely 2 pound full Irish in Shays in Collins Avenue where Shay himself would come over to ask is everything alright but timed it when your mouth was full so all you could do was nod. Afterwards went 2 doors up to Hackett's and I couldnt understand how prolific winner Atone could be so long as 4/1!. Cold shop with a flogas heater on 1 bar doing just enough to stopping the old folk punters from perishing right there and then. Listening to the race on audio only as Irish racing wasnt yet shown in bookie shops!. The anticipation of listening to audio and no pictures was unreal. The whole shop was looking at a dogily wired black speaker. The board marker had done his job and was absolved of all responsibility now they were off, your money was on and there was no way out. Except for hoping that the racecourse commentator making a mistake by announcing the wrong horse and thats the hope you clung on to listening to Irish commentary in a bookies if it was sounding like you were bate!. I was surprised at the price as I was expecting 6/4 so lowered my stake prudently hahaha!.

All you had to go on coming into the day was the tissue on yesterday evenings press or herald and id always be bulling if it wasnt the final edition otherwise youd only be looking at the decs ffs. Well Atone did me proud and was soon to win the Ladbroke Hurdle at Leopardstown when the Ladbroke was huge.

Going to the races itself was a different proposition. Pains in my stomach with the excitement of anticipation on the morning of going racing. Similar to Lefty Ruggiero here.

Comment

My Each way / fixed placed picks today are
                                                                              Kimberlite Candy 13:30 Aintree
                                                                              Elwood 13:35 Navan
                                                                              Royal Vacation 15:35 Sandown

15:35 Void race!
                                                                              Last edited by rounders123; 07-12-19, 16:36.

Comment

Good old skool bookies story rounders!

I spent many an afternoon in Jim Brownes shop in Portobello. He was a poker buddy of my Dads and loved action, of whatever shape and size. We used to go in our school uniforms and never a word was said. In those days, there was 10% betting tax so the deal was you divided your stake by 100 - any poor fecker auditing the place would have been bamboozled by the amount of micro stakes betting going on!

One day, there was a huge gang of Chinese in and they couldn't buy a winner. Jim had the look of a man who had lunched very well and was enjoying the anguish of the punters as favourite after favourite contrived to find ingenious ways to get beat. Martin Dwyer is then on some 1/3 hotpot in a 3m hurdle at Haydock and is galloping all over them down the back with all rivals under the pump.
                                                                                "3/1 the favourite, I'll lay 3/1!" roars Jim.

I remember thinking this was pretty ballsy as the desperate Chinese literally throw their entire months salary at him. Jim takes all bets and attention switches to the TV as the jolly eases clear over the third last, goes 10 lengths clear over the second last and is in a different parish coming to the last. Where Dwyer tries to get him to fiddle it, he just about gets over but can't find a leg. He slithers to pretty much a complete halt and Dwyer just about gets him going again. Meanwhile some absolute rag, ridden by a sack of spuds masquerading as a jockey, jumps the last and goes by. Dwyer galvanises the fav again and heads off in pursuit. He's carried into the rail as the rag weaves all over the track and ends up beaten a neck or so. Stewards.

After 20 minutes of waiting and many imprecations in Cantonese, the decision is announced. No alteration to the placings, result stands, weighed in.

Jim just beams genially upon the crowd as they go fucking bananas and says 'see ye next month lads' as they troop out defeated men. Some craic.

Comment

Haha class proper old style bookie, hard to believe. Too hard to believe. Id be all in myself.
                                                                                  Now for clarity are you sure he meant 3/1 against and not 1/3 as bookies at that time ALWAYS voiced 3/1 on a 1/3f and never said '3/1 on' or 1/3 to describe a 1/3fav. That used to tilt me no end listening to the rails bookies shouting that and some still do. ''Ill take 3/1'' is the cry meaning 1/3. Because with a 1/3 fav in running travelling all over them id have imagined still giving 1/3 in running would still be generous. Sorry to kill it but I think this is more likely?.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                    Haha class proper old style bookie, hard to believe. Too hard to believe. Id be all in myself.
                                                                                    Now for clarity are you sure he meant 3/1 against and not 1/3 as bookies at that time ALWAYS voiced 3/1 on a 1/3f and never said '3/1 on' or 1/3 to describe a 1/3fav. That used to tilt me no end listening to the rails bookies shouting that and some still do. ''Ill take 3/1'' is the cry meaning 1/3. Because with a 1/3 fav in running travelling all over them id have imagined still giving 1/3 in running would still be generous. Sorry to kill it but I think this is more likely?.
                                                                                    Yeah I’d say good old Jim was angle shooting our Chinese friends.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                                                      I think he felt he was getting all their dough no matter what and this was going to add entertainment value.

And he meant 3/1.

Comment

Not to be picky but is this Martin Dwyer the father of the flat jockey Martin Dwyer

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley Harms View Post
                                                                                          Not to be picky but is this Martin Dwyer the father of the flat jockey Martin Dwyer
                                                                                          I think it may be Gold Cup winning jockey Mark Dwyer

Comment

Originally posted by wicklowp View Post
                                                                                            I think it may be Gold Cup winning jockey Mark Dwyer
                                                                                            Good spot. The lad who rode Jodami.

Comment

Good spot. The lad who rode Jodami.
                                                                                              And Forgive'N Forget, great pilot.

Comment

Was told small ew on Apricot moon in the 5.45 but looks like a lot of others were too.

And Marnane prefers Hit the Sllk ew as opposed to the fav in the race at 8.15. But the tips coming from that yard have been dogshit this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                                  Was told small ew on Apricot moon in the 5.45 but looks like a lot of others were too.

And Marnane prefers Hit the Sllk ew as opposed to the fav in the race at 8.15. But the tips coming from that yard have been dogshit this year.
                                                                                                  Nice one!

Comment

Owe you a pint 40s on exc

Comment

And he's back

Comment

Dogshit tips are good
                                                                                                        Missed it but well done

Comment

Super Schemer ew in the 7.45. From the good source but hate when they come in after a winner. I can't say no though.

Comment

Fairly legal 2.05 navan

Comment

Fairly legal 2.05 navan
                                                                                                              That was beautiful. Thanks

Comment

Fairly legal 2.05 navan
                                                                                                                Thats what you call a Christmas expenses job.

I know little of the ins and outs, rights and wrongs of the McManus team but you have to admire their patience and ability to play the long game.

Comment

Crack on corrie Naas Monday

Comment

A bit of word for Cromwells Lappet 19.40 Wolverhampton currently 14s
                                                                                                                    location green and yellow stretford end

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser soze View Post
                                                                                                                      A bit of word for Cromwells Lappet 19.40 Wolverhampton currently 14s
                                                                                                                      I was looking for a horse with Cromwell in it's name and spitting

Comment

Crap end to the day
                                                                                                                        Walking home getting pissed on miss a message to back the Mouse Doctor
                                                                                                                        Thing goes and wins

Comment

Told to back Candyman in Fundalk tomorrow night
                                                                                                                          Ew 20s at the moment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X