Irish Poker Boards
Irish Open 2020
Register Arcade FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games

Old 27-03-11, 11:05   #41
cardshark202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Ball View Post
4 chicken breasts
1 red pepper
2 medium onions
2-3 scallions
1 can of coconut milk
yellow curry paste
soy sauce
fish sauce
oyster sauce
ginger
coriander
kaffir lime leaves
chopped fresh chillies (optional if you like it hotter)

cut chicken in to long thin strips (a scissors is very good for cutting meat into thin strips) and fry in a wok until cooked then add the coconut milk 2 teaspoons of soy sauce 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce and one teaspoon of fish sauce. i generally put in one heaped teaspoon of curry paste and an extra bit for good measure but this depends on how hot the family like it so this is up to the chef. add the ginger,coriander and lime leaves, give it a stir and leave to simmer for a few minutes cut your onions and peppers into long strips and add for the final few minutes, you don't want your vegetables to be soft they should be cooked but still firm and crunchy, chop the scallions into 1 1/2inch lengths and add for the final minute. serve with basmati rice.
when making curry with a paste, always add the paste first. I usually cook the chicken, add paste, then add some peppers, onions, bean sprouts, etc or whatever. Then add coconut milk. Add spices while adding veg just before adding coconut cream/milk. I use several spoons of the paste, also add in some fresh chilli to give it a kick. Fish sauce is not necessary as most curry paste contains it. Soy sauce in this instance does not add much to the recipe either despite being a necessity to most stir fries.

btw the reason add the paste first is to let the chicken take in (baste in/fry in)some of the spicyness before the coconut milk kind of absorbs it. Its not a technical chef thing, just my opinion when making curries.

Also I have lots of recipes I created, but no exact measurements really, I just go by feel. Will try share them over the next while depending on laziness. I love cooking though.
cardshark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 27-03-11, 23:56   #42
dannydiamond

Great idea for a thread lazare, will def be trying a couple of these recipies out. Cheers lads.
Old 28-03-11, 09:26   #43
shrapnel
chevauche moi sur le côté, Kylian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardshark202 View Post
when making curry with a paste, always add the paste first. I usually cook the chicken, add paste, then add some peppers, onions, bean sprouts, etc or whatever.
FWIW, when cooking thai, heat up the pan, put in some oil wait till it's hot then fry the paste on high heat for a couple of minutes turning it constantly BEFORE putting in the meat, this will release so much more flavor
shrapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 28-03-11, 10:16   #44
mocata

If you are roasting a chicken, prick a lemon all over with a fork, slice it in half, then microwave it for a minute to soften it up. If you put it inside the cavity of the bird it steams while cooking and gives the meat a lovely moist lemony taste.
mocata is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 28-03-11, 10:23   #45
Keane
Martingale Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Keane
Chilli Con Carne

Thought I would add my own recipe for chilli con carne to this.

It's my own recipe, and I've tried to make it as healthy as possible - beware that if you follow these instructions using all these ingredients it's going to be hot as fuck!

300g broccoli
2 bell peppers
250g mushrooms
400g tin kidney beans

6 fresh tomatoes
220g sliced jalapeno pepper
1 red chilli pepper
1 finger chilli pepper
1 bird's eye chilli pepper
5 fresh spinach leaves
3 tbsp hot chilli powder
3 tbsp cayenne chilli powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp ground pepper

500g 95% lean minced beef
1tbsp Olive oil

Blend the tomatoes together with 100g of the sliced jalapenos, the red chilli, finger chilli and bird's eye chilli, along with the various spices. No need to over-blend.

Chop the vegetables as necessary, I like to de-stem and peel the mushrooms, but there's no real need. You can also add any other vegetables as you like - these are just ones that I like.

Heat the olive oil in a pan (you may need to use two pans if you use the quantities in this recipe - I always do), and brown the mince in it.

When the mince is starting to get brown, you can drain away the excess oil (I read somewhere somebody recommended putting the mince in a sieve and pouring boiling water over it to cause more of the fat to detach from the lean meat - I haven't tried it, but it might work, up to yourself).

Add in the vegetables.

When everything is pretty much cooked, add the chilli sauce to the mince and veg. Allow this to simmer away for 15 minutes or so.

While this is simmering, drain the kidney beans. Add these, along with the remaining jalapenos for a couple of minutes at the end.

Will last for three or four days in the fridge and can probably be frozen.

I think I usually get about five servings out of it.
Keane is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Old 28-03-11, 18:55   #46
shrapnel

okay so, i've got a bit of a sweet tooth (mainly for chocolate), and seeing as there's plenty of cool starters and main courses here, i'll go straight for to the desert.

This is a monster of a desert. Whoever you give this to, will either want your children on the spot, or beg for the recipe (which you obviously can't give because it's MY secret recipe, but mainly because if you give to them, they'll realise how easy it is, and not want your babies anymore).

The chocolate mi-cuit. it's basically like a chocolate fondant, but a little runnier inside.

to make 7 or 8

equipment:
mixer or food processor
7-8 ramequins

ingredients:
180g unsalted butter
5 eggs
190g of dark chocolate (71% or more)
240 caster sugar
40g white flour

mix in a mixer (with the whisk) the sugar and the whole eggs for 10 minutes

melt the butter and chocolate in a sauce pan on low heat, turning constantly. make sure it doesn't burn. once melted, let it cool a little.

make sure it's at less than 40 degrees celsius before adding it to the sugar-egg mix (otherwise it'll cook the eggs). also add the flour and mix/ whisk for another 10-12 minutes.

take a piece of butter, and butter the inside of the ramequins, then pour the mix into the ramequins (don't go right to the top, as it will rise a little).

put the ramequins in the fridge for at least a couple of hours (you can leave them ther overnight as well if you like, it won't make a huge difference).

heat your oven to 200 degrees, and cook them for about 10-11 minutes (this'll really be oven dependent so once you've done it once or twice you'll know your timings)

the first time you do them, you might want to do an extra one so you can "test" the cooking.

cover with a plate and turn over, tap it a little to make sure it drops. The inside should still have a bit of liquid (but you'll figure out how much or how little suits you). Serve with a healthy dollop of GOOD vanilla ice cream.

Bask in the glory of the speechless guests. nah, just joking, dig in to your own, it's fuckin delicious!!!!
6 Thanks From:
Old 28-03-11, 21:33   #47
Lazare
GFML

Shrap, I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds awesome, gonna try it. Next time you do it post a pic
Old 28-03-11, 23:52   #48
Mellor

Sounds good Shrapnel,
Here's a bit of a cheat cake. Might not be as tastely as yours, but takes the gold for speed and simplicity.

Microwave Mug Cake
4 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons sugar (i've seen it listed with 2-5 tablespoons, so go with whatever you think)
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons butter or oil
vanilla essence
2 tablespoon choc chips

It'll make one large or two small mug cakes (depending on size of mug)
[list][*]Mix all dry ingredients well in a mug (or mugs).[*]If butter is very hard soften in with a few seconds in the microwave. Lightly whisk the egg in a bowl.[*]Add milk, butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla to mug and mix well. Add eggs and give one last mix.[*]You can sprinkle an extra spoon of chocolate chips on top of the mix here.[*]Cooking time will vary depending on power of the microwave. One mug at a time, microwave for 90 seconds on medium power. Check the consistancy. If it needs more cooking, give it another 30 seconds and check. Repeat if required. It's ready when cooked but still moist and gooey in. Too long and it'll dry out.[*]Eat from the mug or run a knife around the edge and tip on to a plate. Serve with a generous spoonfull of ice-cream
Old 29-03-11, 08:36   #49
shrapnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
Shrap, I'd love to see a pic of that. Sounds awesome, gonna try it. Next time you do it post a pic
will do. although it might be a while, as i think i've made it for everyone i know, and only make it once or twice a year now. Let us know how you get on if you try it.
Old 29-03-11, 09:20   #50
Rufio

I downloaded a Jamie Oliver android app and will be cooking two of the recipes later, will report back on how they turn out, on the face of things the app looks very good. Well laid out, pictures and easy to follow instructions.

It's called jamie olivers twenty minute meals, but it does cost a few euro.

Also will be giving Shrapnel's delicious sounding desert a go, if I can find a food processor that is.

I'll take some pictures of how they all turn out and post them up tomorrow.
Old 29-03-11, 14:41   #51
oleras
i won that tag fair and square in roulette !

Very informative thread Laz, ill make sure to direct the wife this way !
oleras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 14:53   #52
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
Juciest chicken ever using this method, great for snacking on at parties etc.

Had one of these for the first time when in the US about 3 weeks ago.. was very tasty i have to say!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 15:09   #53
NewApproach

Could someone recommend something with a high taste:effort ratio, I was thinking I'd try to cook dinner on Sunday for Mother's Day.

I can rustle up basic stuff, and follow an easy enough recipe, but me dad and brother are useless!

Cheers
NewApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 15:27   #54
Mike

how many people?

any meat preference?

roast type meal or not?
Old 29-03-11, 18:42   #55
Lord Sir Banter
Bantersaurus Rex m8

Quote:
Juciest chicken ever using this method, great for snacking on at parties etc.

Jokes is on him, Smithwicks is ale.

Made a roast chicken a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.
Have roasted a few before but was never overly pleased with them.

Loosely followed a Neven McGuire recipe.

The outside was crisp and it was the meat was very moist. I think smearing it on the outside with olive oil and the lemon inside achieved this (actually, I only used half a lemon inside.

On another note, I might make some Johnny cakes soon and report back.

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $
Lord Sir Banter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 18:52   #56
NewApproach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
how many people?

any meat preference?

roast type meal or not?
4, 3 of which are good feeders.

No meat pref; roasts can be a bit boring sometimes imo
NewApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-11, 19:02   #57
Hitchhiker's Guide To...
Duncan F*****g Stewart

Greek Beef

Cooked an excellent dish yesterday that a Greek housemate used to always cook back in uni. So simple, but takes ages to cook:

Greek Beef

Ingredients:

About four onions very finely chopped
About four chopped garlic cloves
Two tins chopped tomatoes (may as well get good quality e.g. Roma with added Basil)
Refill one and a half of those tomato tins with water
About 1kg stewing beef
Salt, pepper, olive oil, maybe a bit of Worcester sauce

Steps:

1. Gently fry the onions and garlic in a large pot

2. Add the beef and continue frying until a bit brown

3. Add the two tins of chopped tomatoes, one and a half tins of cold water, a fair whack of salt, pepper, a bit more olive oil, maybe Worcester sauce

4. Cover and gently simmer at about heat 2, for the next maybe three hours, or until the water has more or less all evaporated, stirring every now and again.

This tastes so excellent and will last for a good few days. The beef is all crumbly and the tomatoes go so well with it. Nearly impossible to fck up. Eat it with copious amounts of fresh baguette bread as its excellent for dipping bread in.
Hitchhiker's Guide To... is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Old 29-03-11, 19:40   #58
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewApproach View Post
4, 3 of which are good feeders.

No meat pref; roasts can be a bit boring sometimes imo
Pork fillet or steak is easy to prepare, mostly sear on outside and bung in oven, serve with roasted baby potatoes (boil for a couple mins and bake in oven with salt pepper olive oil and little chilli powder) and veg of choice

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...tard-and-herbs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/po...thhoneym_85875
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=68116366
Thanks From:
Old 30-03-11, 09:21   #59
Rufio

So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

I followed the recipe pretty much dead on with a few exceptions.

So here's my photo's of the experience.

All the ingredients ready and laid out. I weighed the chocolate, sugar, butter and flour as required.

Mixed the eggs and sugar together for 10 mins, varying the speed using the handheld electric whisk. I found on the highest speed (speed 3), the mixture really puffed up, presumably as it filled with air bubble, so for the most part I whisked on the middle speed.

My first deviation from the recipe was when it came to melting the butter and chocolate. Instead of using a pan and having to continually mix it, I melted it over some hot water, as I usually do when carrying out such a task. I think there's less of a chance of burning the chocolate or butter, but it does probably take a bit longer, so while doing this first step of mixing the eggs and sugar, its probably a good idea to have the water heating up.

Also the butter is going to melt slower then the chocolate, but if you cut it up into smaller parts then leaving it in one big lump I find it melts a bit quicker.

Next I let the chocolate cool for a few minutes to make sure it wasn't over 40 degrees. And I set up the electric whisk again, I poured the flour in to the egg/sugar mixture first and poured in a little bit of the chocolate and mixed for a while, then continued to add in the chocolate bit by bit. Reasoning for this being to make sure that I didn't cook the egg if the chocolate mix was still quite hot. I whisked on medium power for 12 minutes.

Once this was done I buttered up six ramekins.

I used a ladle to scoop the mixture into the ramekins.

I then left them in the fridge to cool.

Cooking
I was making these for myself, my girlfriend and her housemate so in total I put on four (in order to have a tester one). And I'm glad that I did!

I put on the oven at 200c, but I must not have preheated it enough, as when I took the first one out after ten minutes it still looked quite wobbly, so I put it back in for another few.
I took it out after about 13 minutes and gave it a go.
When it came out, it came out 99% liquid. - Obviously my timings were off.

I left the other ones in and came back and checked every few minutes.

After a total of about 18 minutes, I saw the three were rising a bit, and a crack line was beginning across the top of them. (In future I'm going to look out for this rise and crack line)
After 20 minutes I took out the first one. and after a little bit of tapping and shaking it popped out of the ramekin and looked decent.

Here it is!

Pretty nice flow of liquidy chocolate goodness and a dollop of carte d'or vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely delicious! My girlfriend and her housemate also thought it was gorgeous so plenty of brownie points for me.

Thanks for the recipe Shrapnel, It's a good-un!

edit: cheers to Emmet and Mike for helping me get the pictures working

Last edited by Rufio; 30-03-11 at 12:16.
Rufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-11, 09:43   #60
shrapnel

Quote:
So last night I had a go at making Shrapnels' chocolate fondant type desert. See this post.

I followed the recipe pretty much dead on with a few exceptions.

So here's my photo's of the experience.

All the ingredients ready and laid out. I weighed the chocolate, sugar, butter and flour as required.

Mixed the eggs and sugar together for 10 mins, varying the speed using the handheld electric whisk. I found on the highest speed (speed 3), the mixture really puffed up, presumably as it filled with air bubble, so for the most part I whisked on the middle speed.

My first deviation from the recipe was when it came to melting the butter and chocolate. Instead of using a pan and having to continually mix it, I melted it over some hot water, as I usually do when carrying out such a task. I think there's less of a chance of burning the chocolate or butter, but it does probably take a bit longer, so while doing this first step of mixing the eggs and sugar, its probably a good idea to have the water heating up.

Also the butter is going to melt slower then the chocolate, but if you cut it up into smaller parts then leaving it in one big lump I find it melts a bit quicker.

Next I let the chocolate cool for a few minutes to make sure it wasn't over 40 degrees. And I set up the electric whisk again, I poured the flour in to the egg/sugar mixture first and poured in a little bit of the chocolate and mixed for a while, then continued to add in the chocolate bit by bit. Reasoning for this being to make sure that I didn't cook the egg if the chocolate mix was still quite hot. I whisked on medium power for 12 minutes.

Once this was done I buttered up six ramekins.

I used a ladle to scoop the mixture into the ramekins.

I then left them in the fridge to cool.

Cooking
I was making these for myself, my girlfriend and her housemate so in total I put on four (in order to have a tester one). And I'm glad that I did!

I put on the oven at 200c, but I must not have preheated it enough, as when I took the first one out after ten minutes it still looked quite wobbly, so I put it back in for another few.
I took it out after about 13 minutes and gave it a go.
When it came out, it came out 99% liquid. - Obviously my timings were off.

I left the other ones in and came back and checked every few minutes.

After a total of about 18 minutes, I saw the three were rising a bit, and a crack line was beginning across the top of them. (In future I'm going to look out for this rise and crack line)
After 20 minutes I took out the first one. and after a little bit of tapping and shaking it popped out of the ramekin and looked decent.

Here it is!

Pretty nice flow of liquidy chocolate goodness and a dollop of carte d'or vanilla ice cream.

Absolutely delicious! My girlfriend and her housemate also thought it was gorgeous so plenty of brownie points for me.

Thanks for the recipe Shrapnel, It's a good-un!

edit: Don't know why the pictures aren't showing up, if you right click and open them in new tab (using chrome) they work....
gutted i can't see the pics, but delighted it worked and you liked it.

re the cooking, ovens are weird like that, and can vary a lot. i bought myself a digital thermometer, and the readings can be way off between what the oven says and what the actual temperature is. it comes down to knowing if your oven overheats or underheats (which can be pretty important, mostly when baking).
Thanks From:

Irish Poker Boards > Community, Tech, and Feedback > Community & Games