What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
    Bad Science is excellent - one of the best pop-sci books of the last decade imo. Really getting into Bad Pharma now, great read.

Quite sadly have new Michael Connelly 'The Black Box' lined up for after that. Hate liking authors like Connelly!

Highly tempted to give 'The Power of Habit' a go next.

Anyone recommend a good recent sci-fi series? Always wanted to get into sci-fi
    Try the Culture books by Iain Banks maybe? Strewel swears by them. They're old but there are still new ones coming out as well. I've only read the first one (Consider Phlebas) and it was pretty decent, but I'm told some of the subsequent ones are superb. Consider Phlebas is pretty much standalone as well so if you want to get straight into the better ones I don't think it's necessary to start with it. A lot of people recommend going from The Player of Games which is meant to be great.

A more recent one that sounds great but that I've yet to get around to is A Deepness in the Sky.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Reading has gone through the roof since getting the Nexus 7 btw
        Where you downloading your ebooks from?
        Last edited by eamonhonda; 02-01-13, 20:27.
        airport, lol

Comment

Reading has gone through the roof since getting the Nexus 7 btw
          Yep, I'm the same, it makes it so easy to read a few pages here and there while waiting for the work PC to boot up or whatever, or read in the dark so as not to disturb herself.

Comment

Started pigeon english today, very enjoyable opening 80 pages or so. Its written from the perspective of an 11year old Ghanian boy whose family have recently moved to east london.

Comment

Started reading (well listening I guess 'cos it's on audiobook) Jared Tendler's 'The Mental Game of Poker' yesterday. Great things being said about it. I'm not so sure yet! Definitely some nuggets of good advice though. Lots of common sense involved but maybe that's what you need sometimes!

Comment

Got Tom Holland's latest, "In the Shadow of the Sword" for Xmas...I never thought I'd be saying this after Rubicon, but this is his best so far...Absolutely riveting stuff. Its not for everyone, but can't understand people myself who will read massive fantasy novels and won't read something vividly describing crazy battles, the toppling of empires and foundation of modern religion, which is about REAL EVENTS! (End rant!)
                "Ne jamais perdre sa passsionne...ou s'en, éloigner vite!!!!..EC

Comment

Originally posted by Seventh Street View Post
                  I have been meaning to get Amarillo Slim in a World Full of Fat People: The Memoirs of the Greatest Gambler Who Ever Lived.

Amarillo's prop bet stories are the stuff of legend and the way he outwitted the Wimbledon tennis champion and the world ping pong champion is hilarous.
                  reading that book is what got me interested in gambling.
                  True story. Found it at the library even though I never go to the library or read.
                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Cat in The Hat.

Serious words, solid book.

SPOILER
                    He's been around a mat. I reckon he gets a tat soon.

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                      reading that book is what got me interested in gambling.
                      True story. Found it at the library even though I never go to the library or read.
                      Find me download. Sound
                      airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Heres an excellent book for the person in your life who thinks hes the terminator because he goes to Brazilian Ju-Jitsu classes and watches MMA. Actually a good book for the violent fantasist in us all
                          Explores the real world consequences of violence, encourages critical thinking towards many of the myths perpetuated by Martial arts training and violence as depicted in the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                            Find me download. Sound
                            Here it isn't: http://torrentz.eu/am/Amarillo+slim+...f+fat+people-q
                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                              Read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, really excellent series. Highly recommended.

Just finished 16 "Jack Reacher" books by Lee Child, there is a new one but I don't have a copy yet.

Love Reacher as a hero but Tom Cruise playing him in the upcoming movie is a pure sell out. I don't understand how a 5ft 5in guy is going to represent a 6ft 5in "built like a brick shithouse guy.

Halfway through Animal Instinct by James Vance now and it's a pretty smart read so far.
                              ive read 11 of them,theyre epic,fucking sham having a 2 foot nothing guy play jack reacher!!

Comment

why am i always attracted to a series of books rather than a one off?
                                Id never heard of the jack reacher books until this post, and now i know there are 16 I am hunting where to get them from to read them. If there was just one I would probably have much less interest.

Are they worth it? is it an on going story (ala game of thrones) over a series of books or 16 separate stories within the same world and character?

will i get to the last one frustrated that i have to wait for the next, as usually happens with these type of series.

I just started the LOTR again for about the 1000th time so ill have a week or so to track down the 16 jack reacher books and start them after im done with lotr.

Comment

Originally posted by thegreatiam View Post
                                  why am i always attracted to a series of books rather than a one off?
                                  Id never heard of the jack reacher books until this post, and now i know there are 16 I am hunting where to get them from to read them. If there was just one I would probably have much less interest.

Are they worth it? is it an on going story (ala game of thrones) over a series of books or 16 separate stories within the same world and character?

will i get to the last one frustrated that i have to wait for the next, as usually happens with these type of series.
                                  Theres no real continuation from one book to the other - the character doesn't develop at all from book to book and there are no other recurring characters (bar 1 or 2 minor characters like his old army buddies, and the odd time his current female love interest gets a two book run before being ditched). One book (48 hours) ends on a minor 'is he dead cliffhanger?
                                  SPOILER
                                  He's not.

To a large extent every book is identical.
                                  Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 04-01-13, 15:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

lol sounds like a mindless page turner, ill give them a whirl. thats my next 16 books sorted at least ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                      Theres no real continuation from one book to the other - the character doesn't develop at all from book to book and there are no other recurring characters (bar 1 or 2 minor characters like his old army buddies, and the odd time his current female love interest gets a two book run before being ditched). One book (48 hours) ends on a minor 'is he dead cliffhanger?
                                      SPOILER
                                      He's not.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. I read Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series) Patterson's Alex Cross, they are all pretty much the same format. Decent stories in each book and kicks a lot of ass but is a smart guy at the same time. A few of the books would make good Hollywood movies but now that Tom Cruise plays the lead in the movie it will wreck the series imo.

Comment

lol sounds like a mindless page turner, ill give them a whirl. thats my next 16 books sorted at least ;-)
                                        If you can't find them PM me and I will email them to you.

Comment

That pretty much sums it up perfectly. I read Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series) Patterson's Alex Cross, they are all pretty much the same format. Decent stories in each book and kicks a lot of ass but is a smart guy at the same time. A few of the books would make good Hollywood movies but now that Tom Cruise plays the lead in the movie it will wreck the series imo.
                                          The Charlie Parker books I suppose are similar.
                                          I dunno, I've kinda gone cold on john connolly.
                                          I used to mill through them but lost interest for a while.
                                          I've a ton of them on my kindle but honestly am struggling to be arsed.
                                          I think I need a cliff notes of each one as I'm even unsure how many I've read
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                            oh no you have a kindle!!! i couldnt bring myself to read books on one,i love the whole,bookmark,smell of the paper,turning the page thing! i just realised im starting to sound like my mother

I didnt read all the jack reacher books in order,i started at 61 hours but didnt make a difference really.But i really wanna know when is he gonna get to feckin Virginia!!!

Comment

Ive read all of John Grishams books aswell,theyre catchy,The chamber was my fav.Wasnt too impressed with the "theadore Boone" ones though.

Also the Ice man was a really good read if your into real life books,im more of a thriller kinda reader but was a good book all the same.

If you like books that were made into films then "The lovely bones" is a great read,much more detailed than the film and can be a little hard to read at times but was very good.

Saw someone talking about Philip Pulmans books,Northern Lights was deffo the best out of the three and the film should have been shelved because it was the biggest waste of money ive ever seen,nothing like the books at all!!

Comment

I read Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch series)
                                                I find Harry Bosch a fascinating character, I look forward to the new Michael Connelly every Christmas.

For anyone starting out its definitely one series which should be read in order, theres loads of spoilers (both character developement and plotwise) in each book re previous books.

Comment

Anyone read Things Fall apart by Achebe? Got it for my sister without ever having read it myself and thinking of cracking into it tomorrow. Apparently it's brilliant!

Comment

have been trying for 2 days for a torrent for The Magic by rhonda bryrne with no luck , anyone??
                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Any Michael Connelly fans here might like to check out Robert Crais series of Elvis Cole books.
                                                      A bit similar but a better read.The older ones are better though.
                                                      Also a couple of times Harry Bosch gets an unspoken nod in them.

Comment

Comment

Dude, I get where you're coming from although I still look forward to each John Connolly immensely. As I said earlier in the thread, if you like JohnC or liked him in the past, you absolutely must must must read James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux series.

Every single concept in Burke's series has been, let's say, adopted by JohnC. Burke makes Connolly's books look like they're written for kids. I've read 8 in a row now and still can't wait for the postman to drop the next one through the letterbox.
                                                          Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

If you can't find them PM me and I will email them to you.
                                                            thanks, pm sent

Comment

The Fractalist, Memoir Of A Scientific Maverick by Benoit B Mandelbrot

Comment

thanks, pm sent
                                                                Didn't receive PM mate
                                                                Last edited by gorrrr72; 07-01-13, 00:02. Reason: I before E except after C ;-)

Comment

Was given a book called "The Third Policeman". My friend loves Irish authors and told me its actually by Bryan O Nolan, but this book is written under the pseudonym(thank you spell correction) Flann O Brien. Don't want to spoil it for anyone too much as it really is a quality book. Its got some really quirky bits and is written strangely. Some of the scenes will have you in stitches. The part with the two Gardai is genius. Can't believe it was written so long ago. Just having a read about the author here and he seemed like a real character so can see where he got his humor from. If you are looking for something a bit different but will give you a laugh I would highly recommend it.
                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Didn't receive PM mate
                                                                    ok, i replied again. let me know if you get it

Comment

ok, i replied again. let me know if you get it
                                                                      PM received

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                        Was given a book called "The Third Policeman". My friend loves Irish authors and told me its actually by Bryan O Nolan, but this book is written under the pseudonym(thank you spell correction) Flann O Brien. Don't want to spoil it for anyone too much as it really is a quality book. Its got some really quirky bits and is written strangely. Some of the scenes will have you in stitches. The part with the two Gardai is genius. Can't believe it was written so long ago. Just having a read about the author here and he seemed like a real character so can see where he got his humor from. If you are looking for something a bit different but will give you a laugh I would highly recommend it.
                                                                        The Collected Writings of Myles na gCopaleen is one of my favourite books, laugh out loud funny. The third Policeman is quality but still below At Swim Two Birds imo.

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                                                                          The Collected Writings of Myles na gCopaleen is one of my favourite books, laugh out loud funny. The third Policeman is quality but still below At Swim Two Birds imo.
                                                                          Gonna have to check them out. Thanks
                                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

I'm the exact same, his first two novels were superb imo but he's declined gradually since then. I read one of his non Parker novels recently and it was one of the greatest loads of shat I've ever opened.

Comment

Just downloaded

The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                This is the best modern literature that Ireland has ever produced.

The International Flann O'Brien Society. 1,206 likes · 15 talking about this. Organising conferences, publications and events dedicated to the life and works of Brian O'Nolan

Comment

I'm finally getting around to read Tyler Hamilton's book (have David Walsh's to read also) in advance of Oprah's interview on Thursday.

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                  Just downloaded

Quality read.

Comment

Just finished reading A Memory of Light, the final book of the wheel of time book series by Robert Jordan (14 books in total). No spoilers promise.

Just feel I need to mention that, as I first started reading the series in 1996, 17 years is way too long to be reading them, and I did get bored with them around the eight or ninth book, but sheer bloodly mindlessness made me persist with it and today I have finally finished them... for good!

Would I recommend them? As the the books have on average 1,000 pages each, totalling 14,000+ pages, it is not for the faint of heart and you need a good grip of names as there are so many characters, probably not, unless you really like fantasy...

But still, and I really hate to say this, I really enjoyed them in a sadistic sort of way.

A better choice would be The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss... A truly brilliant book...
                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

...

Comment

Reading "I Will Teach You to be Rich" by Ramit Sethi in snatches between my reread of the Malazan books.

Despite it's off-putting title it actually just gives you very simple advice on managing your bank accounts, setting up your pension and other simple things that I think will probably help me sort out my finances to some degree. It's pretty good tbh.

Comment

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk.

Great read but I only get to read it in bed (busy busy) so I'll probably be still reading it next year

Comment

Still reading freakonomics. Very good novelty read. Nothing groundbreaking or truly unbelievable uncovered but very enjoyable nonetheless.
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Started reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath a few nights ago. Really like the style of it, reminds me of Holden Caulfield in Catcher

Comment

Just finished reading "Home" by Toni Morrison in one sitting, absolutely unputdownable.

I've also read "Song of Solomon" and "Beloved" and am now off to find everything else she's written, she is that good.

Comment

Been listening to some HP Lovecraft short stories I got from Libravox a while ago. They're very varied but all enjoyable, some of them are absolutely stunning. Looking forward to finishing them and starting some of the horror stuff he's best known for though.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                    The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk.

Great read but I only get to read it in bed (busy busy) so I'll probably be still reading it next year
                                                                                                    Fisk deserves some kind of Nobel prize or something for that book...it is basically a history and a reference point for modern history in the Middle East AND North Africa. Goes into great detail about the French occupation of Algeria for example and how crazy that got.

Have had the privilege of meeting him a few times and he is as unassuming as could be. He usually appears in Ireland a few times a year and I'd highly recommend going to hear him speak. No other "analyst" knows and can relate to us exactly what is going on in the Middle East like he can IMO.

He has only written 5 books ever (although The Great War would take most people a lifetime in itself!) and they are all excellent, 2 of them are on the North, but Pity the Nation and TGW are the best.
                                                                                                    "Ne jamais perdre sa passsionne...ou s'en, éloigner vite!!!!..EC

Comment

Went on a crime novel spree for a while recently.

Flew through Robert Wilson's Javier Falcon series set in Seville.
                                                                                                      I absolutely loved his Small Death in Lisbon a few years ago and while these don't feel as accomplished as that they are very enjoyable. He's good at capturing the local colour and the characterisations and narrative arc across the four novels works pretty well. I'd read the first one a year ago and rushed through the rest of them when I heard that Sky Atlantic have filmed them as their first big European investment. Should make for great TV ig they get the budget they deserve.

Read a Jo Nesbo, the Redbreast, I thought it was the first published but it seems not, maybe that didn't help but I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe there is a bit getting lost in translation but while it was entertaining the writing seemed a bit uneven. The characters from the 40's never seemed to have any resemblance to their 21st century incarnations and I couldn't decide if I liked or hated that. I'll probably give him another spin but whether to find the previous one I skipped, the recently published prequel of to move on from where I am. It will be interesting to see if I do pick him up again next time I go for a crime novel.

At the moment I'm reading Bring Up The Bodies and it is just brilliant. I loved Wolf Hall and was a bit afraid I'd find it hard to revisit her Tudor World and get as much out of it again. No fear, not only does she pull off everything she achieved in WH but she builds on it and somehow while it feels more fluent it also has an even greater richness and depth.
                                                                                                      I read the first third too fast, it was compelling me to stay awake past 2AM, so I stepped back 50 pages last weekend and started again at a pace that allows me to savour the whole thing.
                                                                                                      Magnificent.
                                                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just finished this and started the second book of 6 (I think there is a 7th in the works). I don't normally read supernatural novels but these sounded good and have been a great read so far. Looking forward to getting through the series.

Comment

On a bit of a Phillip K Dick run at the moment, I read 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep' and am now reading 'A Scanner Darkly', I picked those purely because I liked the films and I'm otherwise not very familiar with his work. I liked the first one and am really liking the current one. Anyone recommend any others from his back catalogue? It's intimidatingly large and I'm told very hit and miss, so recommendations would definitely help.
                                                                                                          "In the world, there are many kings but there is only one God. I am God, I am El Tren" :{)

Comment

Just finished this and started the second book of 6 (I think there is a 7th in the works). I don't normally read supernatural novels but these sounded good and have been a great read so far. Looking forward to getting through the series.

it starts off well but peters out. I've read everything Orson Scott Card (the Ender's game trilogy is brilliant) has ever written, and this for me was one of the least memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                              On a bit of a Phillip K Dick run at the moment, I read 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep' and am now reading 'A Scanner Darkly', I picked those purely because I liked the films and I'm otherwise not very familiar with his work. I liked the first one and am really liking the current one. Anyone recommend any others from his back catalogue? It's intimidatingly large and I'm told very hit and miss, so recommendations would definitely help.
                                                                                                              send HJ a pm, he did a very good blog piece on PKD.

Comment

What should i read next:

Mike Matusows "Check raise the devil" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5837830-mike-matusow

"Boys will be Boys" Following the 90s dallas cowboys. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...s-will-be-boys

"The Underboss" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/158152.The_Underboss

"Wheb The Mob Ran Vegas" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...-mob-ran-vegas

Amarillo Slim "In a World full of Fat people" http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..._of_Fat_People

Or those bad science/bad pharma books that hitch was reading looked good http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3272165-bad-science
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

started with check raise the devil, pretty decent read so far actually worth a look
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                    started with check raise the devil, pretty decent read so far actually worth a look
                                                                                                                    Ya decent insight into Matusow's life. Interesting read/life! Definitely not a strategy book though!

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgejammer View Post
                                                                                                                      Three stigmata of palmer eldritch
                                                                                                                      A scanner darkly
                                                                                                                      Ubik
                                                                                                                      The man in the high castle

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        send HJ a pm, he did a very good blog piece on PKD.
                                                                                                                        Cheers! Just remembered that - it's the last entry:

hectorjelly - the new blog in LiveJournal. There should be new interesting records soon.

Comment

I read two great books recently:

The Punic wars by Nigel Bagnall. It's a detailed look at the wars fought between Catharge and Rome. It's told from a military perspective. Its a fascinating story, well told. The writer is pretty good, one or two clunky sentences, but gets the details of the battles to the reader better than most modern popular historians.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

I really enjoyed this, I think I got about 80% of the plot, there were a few dream like sequences that went on for pages and pages, I was never quite sure what was real and what wasn't. Whenever I read a Russian novel I always feel like there is at least one part of the book designed to put off readers. That said, it's pretty funny, there are great lines about Jazz and Poetry. The central premise is that the devil comes to fiercely atheist Moscow, and the interplay between the supernatural Devil (and his cat) and the overly bureaucratic city.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X